• Welcome to The Cave of Dragonflies forums, where the smallest bugs live alongside the strongest dragons.

Guests are not able to post messages or even read certain areas of the forums. Now, that's boring, don't you think? Registration, on the other hand, is simple, completely free of charge, and does not require you to give out any personal information at all. As soon as you register, you can take part in some of the happy fun things at the forums such as posting messages, voting in polls, sending private messages to people and being told that this is where we drink tea and eat cod.

Of course I'm not forcing you to do anything if you don't want to, but seriously, what have you got to lose? Five seconds of your life?

The Challenge Board

Status
Not open for further replies.
Since my other battle hasn't given me much of a reason to be on lately, I'll take another. Hopefully I didn't mess up making
the rules of this challenge.

2vs2 Double
DQ: One week
Damage Cap: 25%
Banned and Restricted: OHKO's, Direct Healing
Arena: Element Seal

In the heart of a vast forest lies a circular clearing with a complicated geometric pattern burned in the grass. Like the clearing it is circular, and it has 17 inner circles connected to each other by a number of lines. Each of these circles has some type of symbol within it. It has been observed that all beings within the circle lose their elemental affinity. Because of this oddity, the seal has gained popularity among trainers wishing to try something a little different.

Additional Rules:
-Flying/hovering above the symbol, burrowing under it, or phasing do not remove the effects of the circle. Only leaving the area will.
-The loss of elemental affinity means that every pokemon within the circle loses its weaknesses, immunities, resistances, and STAB.
-Flying/hovering pokemon will still be able to stay aloft, ghost pokemon will still be able to phase, water pokemon can still breath underwater, etc. as those abilities are more biological in nature.
-Immunities, resistances, and weaknesses granted by abilities (such as Flash Fire or Dry Skin) will not be affected.

Since my other battle hasn't given me much of a reason to be on lately, I'll take another. Hopefully I didn't mess up making

2vs2 Double

In the heart of a vast forest lies a circular clearing with a complicated geometric pattern burned in the grass. Like the clearing it is circular, and it has 17 inner circles connected to each other by a number of lines. Each of these circles has some type of symbol within it. It has been observed that all beings within the circle lose their elemental affinity. Because of this oddity, the seal has gained popularity among trainers wishing to try something a little different.

Additional Rules:
-Flying/hovering above the symbol, burrowing under it, or phasing do not remove the effects of the circle. Only leaving the area will.
-The loss of elemental affinity means that every pokemon within the circle loses its weaknesses, immunities, resistances, and STAB.
-Flying/hovering pokemon will still be able to stay aloft, ghost pokemon will still be able to phase, water pokemon can still breath underwater, etc. as those abilities are more biological in nature.
-Immunities, resistances, and weaknesses granted by abilities (such as Flash Fire or Dry Skin) will not be affected.

Although I'll probably just lose, I guess I'll take your challenge.

Battle Format: 3 vs. 3 Single Battle
Battle Style: Set
DQ Time: One week
Banned Moves: OHKOs
Arena Description: Suburban Rooftops

A suburban town on a lazy day, each trainer and his/her respective pokemon are assigned a house adjacent to that of his/her opponent. There is about a ten yard grassy side-yard that separates the two houses. Pokemon may only be on the ground for one round, and then must climb up onto the roofs of one of the houses. If they do not do this, the pokemon on the ground is disqualified. On the side of each house there is a staircase that leads up to the roof of that house.

Link to my profile~

Taking~

This linnk leads you to my magical profile of fail.

2vs2 Double

Additional Rules:

Sounds interesting. I'll take it. Here's my profile!

Last edited:
2vs2 single
Style: Switch
DQ: 7 days
Damage Cap: 80%
Banned Moves: OHKO's
Arena: Large Bowl of Shio Ramen

You knew it was coming. When it's a Linoonian battlefield, it's gotta be food. And what's better than a bowl of hot, freshly made, delicious shio ramen made with the finest ingredients and love for ramen-lovers?

The ramen bowl, for those of you unfamiliar with ramen, is a large, porcelain bowl with the top opening diameter about twice as long as the bottom diameter. For battling purposes, it is a few hundred times bigger than your average bowl and can fit two wailords smugly side by side. The bowl is black, with beautiful designs on the side and a large Japanese kanji character meaning "noodle" on the bottom, although it's not like anyone will see it.

This particular battle field was made with the good stuff -- not those icky store-bought instant noodles, but actual ramen made with actual noodles and actual meat and actual soup. The noodles fill almost the whole bowl, and are quite long and delicious. Cooked to a perfect al dente, the yellow ramen noodles are firm to the bite and slightly chewy, just like ramen noodles are supposed to be. The noodles are soaked in a light, clear Shio broth that has been made from boiling plenty of vegetables, chicken, fish, seaweed, and, of course, salt. The broth is light to the taste and savory, and, despite being called "shio ramen" (meaning salt ramen), the soup is not very salty at all. Instead, its flavor is perfectly balanced between light and salty, giving it a pleasing taste. The ramen is topped with six slices of thinly cut pork, tender enough to seemingly melt in one’s mouth, and some fresh vegetables: cabbage, bean sprouts, and a sprinkle of green onions and leeks.

The Large Bowl of Shio Ramen, being freshly made, is still steaming hot, and any pokemon stepping on the ramen or in the soup will be dealt 5% damage per round and hovering pokemon that are still relatively close to the surface will be dealt 2% damage per round for the first five rounds. Afterwards, the ramen will have cooled down slightly and will deal 1% damage per round for all pokemon directly on the ramen and no damage for hovering pokemon for the rest of the battle. The ramen is, of course, edible, as well as everything else inside the bowl, and each item has a different effect upon being ingested. Eating the pork slice will give the pokemon +1 Attack, eating the vegetables will give the pokemon +1 Special Attack, eating the noodles will give the pokemon 10% energy, while drinking the soup will give the pokemon 5% health. The attack and special attack boosts act like regular boosts and cannot exceed the +- 6 limit and can be lowered by moves such as Growl. The food items don’t magically grow back after being eaten, so they will gradually disappear as the battle progresses. This can be used strategically to a battler’s advantage: one can order one’s pokemon to drink lots of soup and leave the opponent’s water-dependent pokemon flopping on dry ramen. There is a catch though: a pokemon can only eat 10 times before it becomes too full to eat anymore, so eat wisely.

Other: Extra soup can be requested for water-dependent pokemon.

Chopsticks and spoon

For Moonyface~

1vs1 Single
Banned Moves:
All But Metronome
Damage Cap: None
Arena: The Harbour Quay

The battle takes place at the Harbour Quay in Port Alberni, BC, Canada at about noon on a weekday. The ground is paved with cobblestones and concrete, with a very large stone fountain in the centre. The fountain has several salmon statues which spout water, and large amounts of coinage scattering the bottom. These coins can be picked up, but will take an action to do so, and if you try and take more than five, a police officer will appear and stop you. Each coin is worth 1$.

There are quite a few shops lining the Quay; a donut shop, a gift shop, a cafe, and an art gallery on one side, and a large clock tower with a restaurant called 'Water's Edge' underneath it on the other. There are no people in the picnic tables when the battle starts, but a person or two may wander over later The ocean is not too far away either, and several boats are floating serenely there. There is a (empty) parking lot next to Water's Edge, though someone may park there.

Sometimes it gets really windy. Like, really windy. This could mess up projectile attacks and is up to the ref to decide how much.

Chances: Car parking - 20%/round, Person showing up - 25%/round. Wind Speed+ - 20%/round

Pokemon start with 150% energy and cannot chill.

LET'S BLOW IT UP.

Last edited:
For Moonyface~

1vs1 Single
Banned Moves:
All But Metronome
Damage Cap: None
Arena: The Harbour Quay

The battle takes place at the Harbour Quay in Port Alberni, BC, Canada at about noon on a weekday. The ground is paved with cobblestones and concrete, with a very large stone fountain in the centre. The fountain has several salmon statues which spout water, and large amounts of coinage scattering the bottom. These coins can be picked up, but will take an action to do so, and if you try and take more than five, a police officer will appear and stop you. Each coin is worth 1$.

There are quite a few shops lining the Quay; a donut shop, a gift shop, a cafe, and an art gallery on one side, and a large clock tower with a restaurant called 'Water's Edge' underneath it on the other. There are no people in the picnic tables when the battle starts, but a person or two may wander over later The ocean is not too far away either, and several boats are floating serenely there. There is a (empty) parking lot next to Water's Edge, though someone may park there.

Sometimes it gets really windy. Like, really windy. This could mess up projectile attacks and is up to the ref to decide how much.

Chances: Car parking - 20%/round, Person showing up - 25%/round. Wind Speed+ - 20%/round

Pokemon start with 150% energy and cannot chill.

LET'S BLOW IT UP.

I'll take it

No blowing things up.

Last edited:

2vs2 Double

Additional Rules:

Sounds interesting. I'll take it. Here's my profile!

Reffing this. Thread will be up soon.

2 vs 2 Single
DQ: One Week
Damage Cap: 30%
Arena: Plain Arena

Plain Arena is what it says on the tin. It is a plain white room, about the size of 2 Wailords. There is a pool that opens up from the floor so any aquatic pokemon (Including Wailord) can take part.

Profile-ness

2v2 Single
DQ: 1 week
Banned Moves: OHKO moves only.
Damage Cap: 35%
Arena: Pirate Ship

This battle takes place on a pirate ship, about 50 feet long. There is a mask with a skull and crossbones on it.

Other: For Doctor Francis, PHD in Frankology

Profile!

2 vs 2 Single
DQ: One Week
Damage Cap: 30%
Arena: Plain Arena

Plain Arena is what it says on the tin. It is a plain white room, about the size of 2 Wailords. There is a pool that opens up from the floor so any aquatic pokemon (Including Wailord) can take part.

Profile-ness

I accept!

2vs2 single
Style: Switch
Damage Cap: 80%
Arena: Large Bowl of Shio Ramen

You knew it was coming. When it's a Linoonian battlefield, it's gotta be food. And what's better than a bowl of hot, freshly made, delicious shio ramen made with the finest ingredients and love for ramen-lovers?

The ramen bowl, for those of you unfamiliar with ramen, is a large, porcelain bowl with the top opening diameter about twice as long as the bottom diameter. For battling purposes, it is a few hundred times bigger than your average bowl and can fit two wailords smugly side by side. The bowl is black, with beautiful designs on the side and a large Japanese kanji character meaning "noodle" on the bottom, although it's not like anyone will see it.

This particular battle field was made with the good stuff -- not those icky store-bought instant noodles, but actual ramen made with actual noodles and actual meat and actual soup. The noodles fill almost the whole bowl, and are quite long and delicious. Cooked to a perfect al dente, the yellow ramen noodles are firm to the bite and slightly chewy, just like ramen noodles are supposed to be. The noodles are soaked in a light, clear Shio broth that has been made from boiling plenty of vegetables, chicken, fish, seaweed, and, of course, salt. The broth is light to the taste and savory, and, despite being called "shio ramen" (meaning salt ramen), the soup is not very salty at all. Instead, its flavor is perfectly balanced between light and salty, giving it a pleasing taste. The ramen is topped with six slices of thinly cut pork, tender enough to seemingly melt in one’s mouth, and some fresh vegetables: cabbage, bean sprouts, and a sprinkle of green onions and leeks.

The Large Bowl of Shio Ramen, being freshly made, is still steaming hot, and any pokemon stepping on the ramen or in the soup will be dealt 5% damage per round and hovering pokemon that are still relatively close to the surface will be dealt 2% damage per round for the first five rounds. Afterwards, the ramen will have cooled down slightly and will deal 1% damage per round for all pokemon directly on the ramen and no damage for hovering pokemon for the rest of the battle. The ramen is, of course, edible, as well as everything else inside the bowl, and each item has a different effect upon being ingested. Eating the pork slice will give the pokemon +1 Attack, eating the vegetables will give the pokemon +1 Special Attack, eating the noodles will give the pokemon 10% energy, while drinking the soup will give the pokemon 5% health. The attack and special attack boosts act like regular boosts and cannot exceed the +- 6 limit and can be lowered by moves such as Growl. The food items don’t magically grow back after being eaten, so they will gradually disappear as the battle progresses. This can be used strategically to a battler’s advantage: one can order one’s pokemon to drink lots of soup and leave the opponent’s water-dependent pokemon flopping on dry ramen. There is a catch though: a pokemon can only eat 10 times before it becomes too full to eat anymore, so eat wisely.

Other: Extra soup can be requested for water-dependent pokemon.

Chopsticks and spoon

Accepting this, and then issuing a challenge for Blazhy since I promised her that I'd pick on her an epic Centurion battle. Which would be more epic and accurate if the Pokémon in question were fully evolved, but these bloody happiness things take forever to grow up so. :| If you want to change any of the rules, that's fine, too.

1v1 single
Set
Banned/restricted moves: Weather moves, Dig, etc., direct-healing moves and... uh, I don't think Eevee and Taillow really know many moves worth banning Eevee used Guillotine!. Two chills per Pokémon.

Arena: The Ginnungagap

The mortal world's last line of defense against the demons of Niflheim, the interdimensional space known as the Ginnungagap has long been guarded by the mighty summon spirit Ratatosk and his eight Centurions. The roots of the ancient World Tree, former source of the world's mana, still reach down into the Ginnungagap even now that the tree itself has been dead for millennia. The roots twist and lock together in web-like structures to form a series of platforms that are situated one on top of the other. The lowest level of these root-platforms, which will serve as the battlefield, is large, fairly open and circular, with thick root "bridges" connecting it to a ring of roots and earth on the outside. Ominous crystalline growths dot the floor and cover parts of some of the old roots.

Bizarre elemental monsters lurk in the spaces between the roots, but by and large they will remain out of the way of the battle. A few, however, seem to have taken a special interest in the combatants and may interfere:

Punishers: Beings made of pure darkness energy that ooze along the ground, occasionally taking the form of maiden-like creatures. The Punishers will not act unless Tenebrae (Eevee) takes an action to command them to, at which point one will appear and attack Ventus (Taillow) with Dark Pulse (treated as a STAB attack used by a fully-evolved Pokémon). A Punisher's Dark Pulse has a 50% chance of causing flinching instead of the usual 20%. Tenebrae can only summon a Punisher once every two rounds.

Purgers: Beings made of pure wind energy that hover through the air, their overlarge fluffy green ears and ring of lucky four-leaf clovers keeping them aloft. The Purgers will not act unless Ventus (Taillow) takes an action to command them to, at which point one will appear and attack Tenebrae (Eevee) with Aerial Ace (treated as a STAB attack used by a fully-evolved Pokémon). A Purger's Aerial Ace has a base power of 100 instead of the usual 60. Ventus can only summon a Purger once every two rounds.

Liberators: Beings made of pure light energy that crawl across the ground in the form of piles of sharpened stones and crystals. The Liberators will not act on their own unless Tenebrae has summoned a Punisher during the previous round, at which point one will appear on a random action and attack him with Vacuum Wave (treated as a STAB attack used by a fully-evolved Pokémon) before disappearing again. A Liberator's Vacuum Wave has a base power of 60 instead of the usual 40.

Enforcers: Beings made of pure earth energy that crawl across the ground in the form of piles of heavy boulders. The Enforcers will not act on their own unless Ventus has summoned a Purger during the previous round, at which point one will appear on a random action and attack her with Rock Tomb (treated as a STAB attack used by a fully-evolved Pokémon) before disappearing again. An Enforcer's Rock Tomb has a base power of 60 instead of the usual 50. (There are technically no rocks around to serve as a source for this attack, but the Enforcer can simply create rocks at will.)

The platforms overhead, and the general fact that this is sort of in an interdimensional space, preclude the use of any weather-influencing moves; while the crystalline growths can be shattered the platform itself is largely indestructible, so moves like dig won't be able to break through it.

fff it's been almost a year since I've played and actually seen the Ginnungagap but there you go, I guess. I tried D:

in the event that you missed it the first time

Prepare to have your Taillow eated!

...now I want to have a Niflheim battle, too, but that can wait.

Last edited:
1v1 single
Set
Banned/restricted moves: Weather moves, Dig, etc., direct-healing moves and... uh, I don't think Eevee and Taillow really know many moves worth banning Eevee used Guillotine!. Two chills per Pokémon.

The mortal world's last line of defense against the demons of Niflheim, the interdimensional space known as the Ginnungagap has long been guarded by the mighty summon spirit Ratatosk and his eight Centurions. The roots of the ancient World Tree, former source of the world's mana, still reach down into the Ginnungagap even now that the tree itself has been dead for millennia. The roots twist and lock together in web-like structures to form a series of platforms that are situated one on top of the other. The lowest level of these root-platforms, which will serve as the battlefield, is large, fairly open and circular, with thick root "bridges" connecting it to a ring of roots and earth on the outside. Ominous crystalline growths dot the floor and cover parts of some of the old roots.

Bizarre elemental monsters lurk in the spaces between the roots, but by and large they will remain out of the way of the battle. A few, however, seem to have taken a special interest in the combatants and may interfere:

Punishers: Beings made of pure darkness energy that ooze along the ground, occasionally taking the form of maiden-like creatures. The Punishers will not act unless Tenebrae (Eevee) takes an action to command them to, at which point one will appear and attack Ventus (Taillow) with Dark Pulse (treated as a STAB attack used by a fully-evolved Pokémon). A Punisher's Dark Pulse has a 50% chance of causing flinching instead of the usual 20%. Tenebrae can only summon a Punisher once every two rounds.

Purgers: Beings made of pure wind energy that hover through the air, their overlarge fluffy green ears and ring of lucky four-leaf clovers keeping them aloft. The Purgers will not act unless Ventus (Taillow) takes an action to command them to, at which point one will appear and attack Tenebrae (Eevee) with Aerial Ace (treated as a STAB attack used by a fully-evolved Pokémon). A Purger's Aerial Ace has a base power of 100 instead of the usual 60. Ventus can only summon a Purger once every two rounds.

Liberators: Beings made of pure light energy that crawl across the ground in the form of piles of sharpened stones and crystals. The Liberators will not act on their own unless Tenebrae has summoned a Punisher during the previous round, at which point one will appear on a random action and attack him with Vacuum Wave (treated as a STAB attack used by a fully-evolved Pokémon) before disappearing again. A Liberator's Vacuum Wave has a base power of 60 instead of the usual 40.

Enforcers: Beings made of pure earth energy that crawl across the ground in the form of piles of heavy boulders. The Enforcers will not act on their own unless Ventus has summoned a Purger during the previous round, at which point one will appear on a random action and attack her with Rock Tomb (treated as a STAB attack used by a fully-evolved Pokémon) before disappearing again. An Enforcer's Rock Tomb has a base power of 60 instead of the usual 50. (There are technically no rocks around to serve as a source for this attack, but the Enforcer can simply create rocks at will.)

The platforms overhead, and the general fact that this is sort of in an interdimensional space, preclude the use of any weather-influencing moves; while the crystalline growths can be shattered the platform itself is largely indestructible, so moves like dig won't be able to break through it.

fff it's been almost a year since I've played and actually seen the Ginnungagap but there you go, I guess. I tried D:

in the event that you missed it the first time

Prepare to have your Taillow eated!

...now I want to have a Niflheim battle, too, but that can wait.

Alright, I feel like being very nitpicky, so I shall say that I'm quite leery about the 50% flinch chance - seems a tad high to me - so can you lower it to, say, 40%? Also, will Rock Tomb still lower Ventus's speed? If so, then I request you add a stat drawback to the Vacuum Wave, to balance it a bit. And will summoning the monsters cost any energy? I assume that it won't, but I want to make sure.

Oh yes, and I dislike playing with low damage caps, so can you raise it to, say, 50%?
[/nitpickiness]

Ah, crap. It was originally 50% chance with lower accuracy, but when I took away the accuracy drop I forgot to fix the flinch chance. This is what I get for not playing the game in forever--I give myself a headache trying to remember what the hell was even in the place and then half-ass the other stuff. :| Rock Tomb also wasn't supposed to have the power boost, that's just copypasta fail. Actually, now I think about it, Vacuum Wave was originally Aura Sphere and probably should still be.

I like higher damage caps, too, but I wasn't sure whether you did. More is fine by me. >)

And no, summoning isn't supposed to cost energy, which is part of why there's such a long wait between uses.

1v1 single
Set
Damage Cap: 50%

Punishers: Beings made of pure darkness energy that ooze along the ground, occasionally taking the form of maiden-like creatures. The Punishers will not act unless Tenebrae (Eevee) takes an action to command them to, at which point one will appear and attack Ventus (Taillow) with Dark Pulse (treated as a STAB attack used by a fully-evolved Pokémon). A Punisher's Dark Pulse has a 40% chance of causing flinching instead of the usual 20%. Tenebrae can only summon a Punisher once every two rounds.

Liberators: Beings made of pure light energy that crawl across the ground in the form of piles of sharpened stones and crystals. The Liberators will not act unless Tenebrae summoned a Punisher during the previous round, at which point one will appear on a random action and attack him with Aura Sphere (treated as a STAB attack used by a fully-evolved Pokémon) before disappearing again.

Enforcers: Beings made of pure earth energy that crawl across the ground in the form of piles of heavy boulders. The Enforcers will not act unless Ventus summoned a Purger during the previous round, at which point one will appear on a random action and attack her with Rock Tomb (treated as a STAB attack used by a fully-evolved Pokémon) before disappearing again. (There are technically no rocks around to serve as a source for this attack, but the Enforcer can simply create rocks at will.)

Ah, crap. It was originally 50% chance with lower accuracy, but when I took away the accuracy drop I forgot to fix the flinch chance. This is what I get for not playing the game in forever--I give myself a headache trying to remember what the hell was even in the place and then half-ass the other stuff. :| Rock Tomb also wasn't supposed to have the power boost, that's just copypasta fail. Actually, now I think about it, Vacuum Wave was originally Aura Sphere and probably should still be.

I like higher damage caps, too, but I wasn't sure whether you did. More is fine by me. >)

And no, summoning isn't supposed to cost energy, which is part of why there's such a long wait between uses.

1v1 single
Set
Damage Cap: 50%

Punishers: Beings made of pure darkness energy that ooze along the ground, occasionally taking the form of maiden-like creatures. The Punishers will not act unless Tenebrae (Eevee) takes an action to command them to, at which point one will appear and attack Ventus (Taillow) with Dark Pulse (treated as a STAB attack used by a fully-evolved Pokémon). A Punisher's Dark Pulse has a 40% chance of causing flinching instead of the usual 20%. Tenebrae can only summon a Punisher once every two rounds.

Liberators: Beings made of pure light energy that crawl across the ground in the form of piles of sharpened stones and crystals. The Liberators will not act unless Tenebrae summoned a Punisher during the previous round, at which point one will appear on a random action and attack him with Aura Sphere (treated as a STAB attack used by a fully-evolved Pokémon) before disappearing again.

Enforcers: Beings made of pure earth energy that crawl across the ground in the form of piles of heavy boulders. The Enforcers will not act unless Ventus summoned a Purger during the previous round, at which point one will appear on a random action and attack her with Rock Tomb (treated as a STAB attack used by a fully-evolved Pokémon) before disappearing again. (There are technically no rocks around to serve as a source for this attack, but the Enforcer can simply create rocks at will.)

Bam.

Battle for RandomTyphoon, Ameroq01, and Lars the Turtwig. I team with Ameroq, Typh pairs with Twiggy. (Because Ameroq's stunning creativity should match well with Typh's superior intellect.

6 vs. 6 Tag (as each trainer brings three)

Set.

Banned: OHKOs

Stage:
Plain

Heh. A plain plain.

Additinol rules:
If one team member does not give commands in five days, the other member can substitute for them
------

I'm sorry I cannot give a profile, but the Wii doesn't allow you to copy and paste. Maybe one of the contenders can do it for me..?

Last edited:
Battle for RandomTyphoon, Ameroq01, and Lars the Turtwig. I team with Ameroq, Typh pairs with Twiggy. (Because Ameroq's stunning creativity should match well with Typh's superior intellect.

6 vs. 6 Tag (as each trainer brings three)

Set.

Banned: OHKOs

Stage:
Plain

Heh. A plain plain.

Additinol rules:
If one team member does not give commands in five days, the other member can substitute for them
------
http://dragonflycave.com/forums/showpost.php?p=306496&postcount=129

I accept.
http://dragonflycave.com/forums/showpost.php?p=351893&postcount=162

I put Scy's profile in the quote, if u need it again here it is:http://dragonflycave.com/forums/showpost.php?p=306496&postcount=129

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom