• Welcome to The Cave of Dragonflies forums, where the smallest bugs live alongside the strongest dragons.

Guests are not able to post messages or even read certain areas of the forums. Now, that's boring, don't you think? Registration, on the other hand, is simple, completely free of charge, and does not require you to give out any personal information at all. As soon as you register, you can take part in some of the happy fun things at the forums such as posting messages, voting in polls, sending private messages to people and being told that this is where we drink tea and eat cod.

Of course I'm not forcing you to do anything if you don't want to, but seriously, what have you got to lose? Five seconds of your life?

Objection! (Ace Attorney fan-club)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Lang was supposed to have be wearing his big jacket thingie and no shit. Apparently he was going to have the constellation Orion on his chest (I don't remember if it was supposed to be scars or a tattoo or what).

...quoting from Court Records,

Originally the designer wanted him to be shirtless, but was told no. So he gave Lang a feather boa, figuring that if his nipples were covered that would make it okay, but it didn't. He even tried to justify it by saying Lang was in astronomy club in high school, and he wanted to show off the 7 scars on his chest that make up the constellation Orion. The director did not buy that either.

So I just finished replaying AAI and all the other reasons for my eternal Lang love are all coming back to me. :D I'd almost forgotten about
his epic accuse-Franziska gambit and when he went and got Alba's diplomatic immunity revoked
. And his priceless amusement at Larry and Edgeworth's interactions. And Lang aside, oh, man, I love that every-freaking-one got to have an epic entrance in the final case, including Larry and Oldbag. And Edgeworth's Steel Samurai fanboyism and eeee. <3 Man, I love this game. Sadly, I managed to miss the Phoenix/Maya/Pearl cameo again. D:

Also, I dreamt that I was Gumshoe and was at Dannichu's house for some reason, except she was actually Lang and I was her/his subordinate. I don't even know.

Speaking of Gumshoe, we had fancy dress at school today, and I went as some fat, bespectacled version of him and am pretending any of you care.

Here is MikeGumshoe.
Here is MikeGumshoe enjoying some instant noodles.
Here is MikeGumshoe randomly holding a cane he found.
Here is MikeGumshoe and the Cookie Monster.
Here is MikeGumshoe and one of the Beatles.

The finger-sniffing is a pretty typical thing for cute animé, etc. characters to do, actually, though I will admit that the reason for this eludes me.

Is tapping on one's head with one's knuckles and sticking out one's tongue a similar thing?
ini-teehee(a).gif
trucy-tip.gif

Yaaay, Gumshoe!

I'm replaying the first game now. I've missed Phoenix. I still love the really tangible difference between playing as him and playing as Edgeworth. And all the character interactions and the dialogue asdrgsrtg. This game is so ridiculously good!

I've been really thinking about my personal theory of why they switched protagonists for AJ, though. I think they honest-to-god might have done it because of the graphics. The first game's sprites are quite different in style from those of the later games, and they frequently look rather awkward, especially with the speaking animations (mouths are animated quite oddly in the first game). In the later games they then didn't update the sprites from the first game, and slowly they began to look quite out of place next to the much smoother new sprites.

So why didn't they update them? I'd have to bet on just familiarity - players are used to seeing Phoenix looking like this and Edgeworth looking like that and Maya looking like that, and redoing their sprites and animations could alienate players who are used to them the way they were. So what could be better than getting rid of all those old sprites without having to do that by just rebooting the series with new characters (and a completely redone Phoenix) so that everything looks up-to-date?

Note that conveniently, when they did bring the old characters back in AAI, they didn't reuse any sprites - because the big sprites used there were facing sideways instead of forward, giving another perfect excuse to make a whole new sprite set.

Alsoalsoalso *points to current obsession* Who else adores the Phoenix Wright Musical Project? :D

I seem to recall reading that the writers felt like the main character's stories were over, and they wanted to start afresh with AJ.

Of course this doesn't really make much sense considering AJ is entirely about Phoenix almost and Edgeworth got his own game with Franziska and Gumshoe in it.
So yeah, I dunno

Well, Phoenix did pretty much reach the most epic he could reach at 3-5, so, I can see why they needed to reboot the series after that. It could get pretty boring to control a character that no longer has wide room for development.

That said, though, I suspect that, if they ever plan to make sequels for AAI, then the series could be kind of split in a main side that features new things and a spinoff side that brings back old things. Kind of like the Pokémon series keeps on releasing remakes along with each new game.

iirc they wanted to end the series after the third game, but after it started becoming popular they decided to continue with a new character. The developers initially didn't want to include Phoenix in the new games, but the higher-ups went "no Phoenix has to be there it's a requirement". They also required an overthrow of the current court system in favor of the jury system somewhere in the game.

no graphics in the pw world are the equivalent of wardrobes, which is why phoenix never got a new sprite

CAUSE HE'S POOR

(poorer than gumshoe I guess. poorer than adrian. Poorer than maggey byrde.)

you can't get new outfits unless you get a new sprite, so.

I bet gumshoe's was funded by edgeworth who was all goddamn hospital bills fine i'll pay whatever (franziska's lack of change after getting SHOT IN THE SHOULDER was just cause she's franziska von fucking karma)

...I wouldn't mind the old PW sprites being revamped :c Though I never really noticed they were crappier than the new ones anyway.

Anyway if Phoenix does become a lawyer again as alluded to in the epilogue of AJ when he said he might retake the bar exam, it'd be a convenient excuse to improve the old sprites since it's seven years later and everyone would probably look slightly different. And before it was hard to keep doing game-encompassing themes, because we'd already seen everyone and their mum's first case which comes back to haunt them somehow in the present, but now we have this nice seven-year gap full of events that could impact cases in the game in some way. I'd rather Apollo didn't leave because he was just put there so they could change the setting slightly and then pick it up again, but if it came to that I suppose I'd rather have Feenie back. Or better yet, a game where you can pick which lawyer to play as :o
And meanwhile Investigations continues as a parallel spinoff series and Shifu, Badd and Kay absolutely do not disappear ever. Yup.

I put the third game on hold to play AA:I, so now I'm finishing it up. :3

I didn't think anything could beat the amazinginess that is the final case of Apollo Justice, but... bloody hell. Please tell me people agree in that Bridge to Turnabout is the complete pinnacle of the series. It's just fantastic. That the whole game brings everything together... now that I know it was the last Wright-based game it makes me really sad, but... best characterisation ever. I absolutely adore Phoenix due to this game. I thought I couldn't love him anymore after he became a hobo Chessmaster. ;~;

I already knew bits of what would happen, but man, Dahlia Hawthorne is one of the best AA villains ever. I already know about Godot and the final case (I'm just about finished, will probably finish tonight but not everything has been revealed) but I still adore him in every way. He's actually possibly my favourite prosecutor to be up against... Edgeworth and Ziska are brilliant in every way but they're so normal compared to Godot. XD I just love when it's a really high-adrenaline shocking moment and the music will just slow and turn to his theme, and he'll drink a cup of coffee and spout into ridiculously pointless metaphors and cheesy proverbs. Nick's inner monologue just makes it even better.
Guh. I could just spout about this series forever. <3

Now that I've played every game in the series, I'm realising just how strong the characters are. Nick, Edgeworth, Franziska, Lang, Maya, Gumshoe, Pearl... even Larry who I assume the player is supposed to hate just as much as Nick does... all of them are amazing. :'D

Okay, done. One other thing, can we take this: (not a perfect quote but it was something along these lines)

Iris: ...besides, [Maya is] your girlfriend, isn't she?
Phoenix: ...!

...as the implication that Nick/Maya is canon? If anyone else can remember the context, judging from Phoenix's usual behaviour this "...!" seems like he's surprised Iris knows, rather than shocked that someone would suggest that. If so, it puts a whole new spin on their interactions and actually makes me like the pairing. I didn't like it when I believed it to be just a ship, but the final case of T&T is so sweet that I can forget my love for P/E for a moment.

Aaaanyway, I'm gonna go finish T&T. XD I can't believe I've played the last three games all this year, it seems like ages since I first encountered the series.

Eh, I liked it, but didn't absolutely adore it. Probably because I'd been spoilered on a previous occasion, but...

One other thing, can we take this: (not a perfect quote but it was something along these lines)

Iris: ...besides, [Maya is] your girlfriend, isn't she?
Phoenix: ...!

...as the implication that Nick/Maya is canon?
I don't think so. I believe he's more reacting to the realization that Iris, whom he still loves to some extent, was apparently jealous when she thought he was with someone else. I can't quite remember the context here, but I remember that line and I always took it that way.

Also, Bridge to the Turnabout is epic and my favorite case in the series by far and made Godot my favorite character. And it has almost everyone in it including the opportunity to play as Edgeworth, and it ties up stuff from the whole series, and it's just awesome.

I dunno man, bridge to the turnabout was kind of annoying to me. The whole Godot tie-in felt a little rushed -- it needed more explanation over more time, especially if it was going to be such a big plot twist. Also it was so frustrating grr, and Franziska was retarded.

I like 2-4 better, just sayin.

Huh, I thought Godot was built up pretty well. After all, you know from the beginning that he has a grudge against you, 3-4 tells you who he is and where he comes from, and the fact he did it is foreshadowed by his no-show on the first trial day.

I'm pretty sure most players think it's just Edgeworth using his influence so that word that he's been defending won't spread.

I always thought it was because Godot lost interest in the case when he found Phoenix wasn't going to be defending.

Obviously He was actually involved in the case anyway, but all the player knows at that point is that he has a grudge on Phoenix and wouldn't care about or even know who Edgeworth is.

Obviously He was actually involved in the case anyway, but all the player knows at that point is that he has a grudge on Phoenix and wouldn't care about or even know who Edgeworth is.

... except he was there during Mia's first case, which was against Edgeworth. And the players knew that by this point. :/ It doesn't change a whole lot, but I'm just pointing it out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom