• Welcome to The Cave of Dragonflies forums, where the smallest bugs live alongside the strongest dragons.

Guests are not able to post messages or even read certain areas of the forums. Now, that's boring, don't you think? Registration, on the other hand, is simple, completely free of charge, and does not require you to give out any personal information at all. As soon as you register, you can take part in some of the happy fun things at the forums such as posting messages, voting in polls, sending private messages to people and being told that this is where we drink tea and eat cod.

Of course I'm not forcing you to do anything if you don't want to, but seriously, what have you got to lose? Five seconds of your life?

TV Tropes Mafia [DAY 7]

Re: TV Tropes Mafia [DAY 1]

Gah. Gaaaahhhhh. A game with fifty people is going to make daytime discussions pretty crazy if nothing else... better than nobody participating as often happens, though!

I'm a fan of lynching as much as possible, but ideally not without a bit of consideration first. Superbird's apparently been a part of many a mafia game prior to this one, so perhaps a review of his posting habits in previous games might help? If he's acting weird this game relative to how he normally does, then the likelihood of his being alien is heightened... if he always tends to jump into accusations and act a bit obnoxious, then we're probably safe to off him. (Or perhaps he does that when he's innocent too! In which case we might want to try fishing for other nominations. We've far from seen everybody in the game check in yet, after all, so stuff might yet emerge.)

Other people have cleaned up "what might have happened last night" pretty well at this point. Ultimately we're going to have to let the game play out a bit more before we have enough data to take anything but a wild stab in the dark at last night's events.

You guys post too much D: I come home after school and suddenly there's 6 more pages!

I think abstaining is the best option, while Superbird is being suspicious, I don't want to lynch him yet just in case he is an activated alien. There's not much that we can go on with, seeing as we don't know for certain whether there's two mafia factions or not (though it is highly likely).

I think it'll be best to wait until the next day before we start lynching, hopefully we'll get more clues then! So I'm going to abstain today.

A quick review of like three or four games Superbird's been in show him almost always abstaining when possible and never nominating anyone, so I would at this point call him definitely suspicious.

Or making a reckless gambit to protect himself from lynch by trying to give the impression that he's alien, but that would be a dumb strategy at this point.

Well. I have woefully little to add except an idea that has been buzzing around my head. It is possible that res was alien, was attacked by mafia, activated, and then attacked by mafia#2, killing him but causing him to show up as mafia. But, as has already been said, we can't assume anything, and dwelling on last night probably won't help anybody.

I'm finding the Superbird issue to be dangerous. He seems odd, and his lack of defense worries me further. The existence of experimental roles also makes it even more dangerous to lynch. Given how many people we have and that no innocents died last night (:D) I am willing to abstain.

Good lord, you people. six pages?

Superbird does seem rather sketchy to me, forebodingly so. But we really don't have much to go on other than that and sreservoir's death, so I don't think lynching him, or anyone else the first day is a good idea.

That said, I will abstain.

Research time!

Ok, a little digging showed that Superbird won 4 out of 5 mafia games. (In case you want to know, they're this one, this one, this one, this one, and this one). While he died in the Viral Mafia, he was a Terrorist and therefore won as a part of the Mafia.

I only picked the games that have COMPLETE or WIN in their titles. I might have missed some because of that, so please point them out!

So, let's look at Superbird's posting habits.

In Black and White Pokemafia, he was innocent. He's the first to suggest a lynch (claimed to be handed to her by the RNG gods), but he didn't actually bold the statement. He basically headed the lynching discussion after that and managed to kill of quite a few mafias and led to a quick Innocent victory. So, that behavior fits what we're seeing here -- quick to suggest who to lynch and quick to lynch based only on "a feeling" or the RNG gods.

However, he was quick to roleclaim in that game, possibly due to the inspector roleclaiming first.

So, he's still suspicious.

Let's look at Viral Mafia, in which Superbird is a terrorist.
In this game, Superbird didn't start lynching randomly. He really wanted to lynch, but didn't give out names like he did in the Black and White mafia. He was the first to roleclaim in the game as terrorist and blew up sreservoir soon after that.

This makes her really suspicious because he's been quick to roleclaim in two games, but being all ~mysterious~ and vague in this one.

And now, for the Warrior Cats Mafia. Superbird was Mafia that time around, and he bandwagoned the chain of abstains on the first day. Since bandwagoning is usually what good mafia members do to avoid suspicion, we can assume that Superbird is at least a competent Mafia. And then everyone sort of died on the next day, so we can't really gain any information from that.

In Kanto Mafia, Superbird was Mafia. He barely posted in this game, only popping up to attempt to prevent a fellow Mafia from getting lynched. He later bandwagons again and kills off some innocents.

Final Fantasy Mafia is interesting because Superbird actually lost this one (he's mafia). He was quick to lynch in this game, mainly because Vixie is being Vixie. And then, because Vixie is Vixie, the game turned into this epic mind-screw and Superbird didn't post after that, probably realizing that he just put himself in a bad spot by going up against Vixie.

Conclusion: Superbird is quick to lynch if and only if he feels threatened or if he can bandwagon (he may point out possible people to kill but never bolds them). He's also quick to roleclaim.

Which means that he is definitely suspicious. Abstaining.

fucken australia jesus you guys

I like lynching on the first day because while there's little go to on... there often isn't in mafia anyway unless someone's caught out as mafia. Also, considering that we have fifty people in this game, I hardly think it's going to make a huge difference to the game if we do get someone innocent who also hasn't posted; I mean it's kind of stupid to not post in the first day anyway.

Following the discussion, I agree that Superbird is probably suspicious and likely to be either alien or ... a crappy mafioso. Crazy Linoone's post (which was great, thankyou) seems to suggest otherwise, but we also now know that he's good at the game to some extent!

so, uh. posting so I don't get killed for inactivity + food for thought; I think superbird is probably suspicious so we shouldn't lynch him. But~! I don't like not doing anything on the first day, so I think we should random-lynch someone else.

also, guys, remember that I live in australia, which means I'm usually awake when you guys are asleep and vice versa. c:

edit: also I think it's completely important to read into everything butte-- er, Bachuru posts, because not only is this tv tropes mafia, it's also Bachuru's mafia. And she likes being creative, cryptic, etc, etc, so everything is likely to be a clue.
or she's messing with us. but we should look into them either way.

Goddammit people it's no lynch. Who set this precedent fuck #mafia.

While I agree that Superbird looks a bit suspicious, I, too, am disinclined to lynch it. At the same time I think that not lynching anyone is simply wasting a day. Going with a completely random lynch of Minnow seems fine to me, seeing as it's viewed the thread but hasn't posted (unless I missed it, but I don't think I did).

er... I think Superbird is very suspicious - seriously... being cryptic and shady doesn't help. I'm rather interested in the mafia doctor theory actually. Anyone care to explain what would possibly happen if one existed?

Going with a completely random lynch of Minnow seems fine to me, seeing as it's viewed the thread but hasn't posted (unless I missed it, but I don't think I did).

Minnow has posted, look a bit above you.

Since I never actually bolded it, I'll abstain.

Baaah why did my Internet have to break. You people post too much.

Eh, I'm not crazy about the idea of lynching until we have concrete information here. We don't know what went on last night, since we have secret roles, fifty of them at that. That could be any number of mafiosi, any number of other killing roles, and any number of aliens. Personally it seems like the chances of Superbird being activated alien are higher than in a regular game of mafia.

(damnit I need to read up on my tropes or my posts are going to be completely linkless right through this game)

er... I think Superbird is very suspicious - seriously... being cryptic and shady doesn't help. I'm rather interested in the mafia doctor theory actually. Anyone care to explain what would possibly happen if one existed?

What would happen? Not sure what you mean by that. In a standard game, a mafia doctor works exactly the same way as an innocent doctor save for the fact that they're part of the mafia and can usually converse with them (though the games I've seen them in generally don't use the healer clash rule, mostly because there's rarely more than one active innocent doctor to begin with, so I don't think maf doc would normally clash--I was planning to have my maf doc roles clash with innocent ones, though). They're most common in games that have more than one mafia faction and/or a large number of innocent killing roles, to even things out a little for that particular faction. This is far from a standard game of mafia, so the exact behavior/properties of a hypothetical mafia doctor could vary from that, but that's the basic idea.

There are fifty people in this game, and while some of them are just vanilla townies there are still bound to be a lot of power roles--and, especially given the fact that more than one mafia faction is highly likely, a decent number of ways for a mafioso to die. Obviously we won't know for sure until we see the list of roles in the endgame, but I believe that there's at least a possibility of a protection role of some sort, if not an actual doctor, that is aligned with the mafia.

I don't necessarily think that's something to be paranoid about, though, since there's little we'd be able to do--we'd just have to hope that enough of the innocent killing roles target mafiosos/the multiple factions keep killing one another off, because I doubt it'd be able to protect everyone at once. Or that we hit the hypothetical mafia doctor.

I'm sorry, Superbird, but you're a horrible liar.

See, you chose to nominate Tailsy. This is suspicious for two reasons. The first reason is the obvious one: that you had no evidence to back up your claim other than a post that was clearly sarcastic in tone.

But in addition, Tailsy is probably one of the most experienced mafia players in this game, and she's been incredibly active. She would be an obvious choice for a mafia kill, wouldn't she? So why wouldn't the same logic hold true during the day phase?

In addition to this, she wasn't killed on night zero... and there was only one kill. Assuming there are two mafia factions (which seems to be the consensus here), that leaves one kill that could have been blocked via healer/bodyguard/what have you. It could be that your faction attempted to kill off Tailsy, but failed, and that you are now attempting to have her killed during the day phase.

You seem to be role-claiming an alienesque role, but you haven't given us any specifics outside of "BAD THINGS WILL HAPPEN IF I DIE". That strikes me as a fairly shallow attempt to stay alive by claiming you made a mistake on purpose.

If you're going to make an outlandish claim like that, you'd better be prepared to give specifics.

Nominating Superbird.

I choose to lynch Superbird...you just seem supicious and Linoone brings up really good points

res's death was all Kratos's fault, I think. or at least partly his fault. go kratos!

Superbird, fwiw.

Probably wrong, but oh well. I have to roleclaim to explain tho'.

My role is Praetorian Guard. I can Take The Bullet for someone, in this case I targeted Kratos. If that person is attacked, there's a 50% chance I'll die in their place, and a 50% chance I'll survive and kill the attacker.

So the Mafia might have targeted Kratos, and I killed 'em.

res's death was all Kratos's fault, I think. or at least partly his fault. go kratos!

Superbird, fwiw.

Probably wrong, but oh well. I have to roleclaim to explain tho'.

My role is Praetorian Guard. I can Take The Bullet for someone, in this case I targeted Kratos. If that person is attacked, there's a 50% chance I'll die in their place, and a 50% chance I'll survive and kill the attacker.

So the Mafia might have targeted Kratos, and I killed 'em.

YES CALLED IT

/pumps fist

Back
Top Bottom