• Welcome to The Cave of Dragonflies forums, where the smallest bugs live alongside the strongest dragons.

Guests are not able to post messages or even read certain areas of the forums. Now, that's boring, don't you think? Registration, on the other hand, is simple, completely free of charge, and does not require you to give out any personal information at all. As soon as you register, you can take part in some of the happy fun things at the forums such as posting messages, voting in polls, sending private messages to people and being told that this is where we drink tea and eat cod.

Of course I'm not forcing you to do anything if you don't want to, but seriously, what have you got to lose? Five seconds of your life?

Obsessive Scribblers

Well, it seems like everyone's for the OS awards, which is a great idea by the way. So, I'll check if they'd be alright, because I vaguely remember a TCoD awards that didn't go through. (Though there is the ASB awards.) However, we might want to wait a bit, since there's a fair amount of people who don't have examples of their art. Also, any suggestions on how categories, entering, or judging would work?

Zora, Mawile, Full Metal Cookies, and Linoone, thank you for getting your references so quickly. Also, Full Metal Cookies, thanks for that amazing list of art books, too. <3~

Hey welcome, charizard608! Is there anything in particular you usually draw?

Danni! <3~ It'd be awesomesauce to see some marker drawings. Do you use regular paper or something thicker like cardstock for marker drawings?

Full Metal Cookies, glad to see you back. Thanks again for that amazing list. <3~

Lil' Dwagie, it's also awesome to see you back. I kinda have the same situation with throwing out stuff. >: Doodling helps me out, especially when it's on lined paper, since it's more about having fun than having a nice picture. It'd be great to see some of your coloring, though. :D

Well, I sort of got invited here by Kai, so hopefully nobody will mind if I join. =3

I haven't been too active on this forum lately, for a couple of reasons. One is that I sort of got into a stupid fight, which I would like to blame on my immaturity at the time. =P

So ANYWAY I dunno how many of you remember me, so hello there. XP I'll try not to be too annoying. I wouldn't exactly say that I'm that good at drawing, but I've been doing it for six years now, and I think my style is beginning to develop anyway.

Most of my art is up on deviantART, and I'm pretty active over there.

This is one of my newest pictures, which is part of a big original character project. I'm actually working on an original game and stuff. =3 Dunno if anyone cares.

I haven't drawn Pokemon in ages, but I guess I might try it once in a while.

Nice to meet you all... ^^;

I've only got so much time atm so Imma make this as quick as I can. OTL
Mawile's persona~
My persona is just a normal Mawile with a purple fleece jacket.
I usually draw Pokemon (especially Drifloon), and I'm working on drawing people.
I've got an idea from this, do you mind if I draw your 'sona?

It's come at a wonderful time - I just got some very shiny markers that I love to bits (they will mean I can't afford to eat but I DON'T CARE I love them) and I've been drawing quite a bit with them. I don't have any pictures to show, unfortunately, because I don't have a scanner and have been too busy to trek to the library to borrow theirs.
Markers like the ones at MCM? Those were awesome, and awesome drawings came from them.
That's the way of the artist, completely dedicated to their work even if they suffer for it.

+Agreement on OS Awards Night.
This. Spoon, I did a quick checkup on the rules and there's nothing at all about art contest, which is (in a way) what this awards night is. Plus as Arylett points out there's loads of sprite contests currently going on and there's been an art thread before.

Pfff reading this thread always makes me get a ridiculous grin on my face so I can't come on while my parents are around or else they get suspicious.

Everyone! Quick! Get your reference pictures up before it's too late! Or else I'm going to have to draw you guys without a ref and you probably don't want that. Meanwhile, anyone want grapejuice?
That's exactly the reaction this thread should get. c:
urk, I really need to get myself a new reference pic soon. I've been meaning to draw one for ages but I've not got round to it.

Well, I sort of got invited here by Kai, so hopefully nobody will mind if I join. =3
Not at all, welcome. c:

i should, like, totally join because all i ever do art-wise is sprites...

obsessive scribblings.

i have a few sketches and i should have a sona reference... provided i'm accepted :v i'd been meaning to join anyway.

i have a few sketches and i should have a sona reference... provided i'm accepted :v

Please fill out these forms and submit them to The OS Member Relations Bureau. We'll perform a brief background check and inquire into your credit history and let you know in five to ten business days whether you are eligible for membership at our institution. :v

Nah, come on in.

Oh, and to add to the helpful book list - if you happen to see this magazine on the rack at your bookstore, SPEND THE $18 (or whatever in your currency) ON IT. It is very helpful and I have been studying it. It also comes with a DVD, but the magazine was published in the UK and the DVD seems to be region-locked. Haven't tried it in my computer yet.

Everyone! Quick! Get your reference pictures up before it's too late! Or else I'm going to have to draw you guys without a ref and you probably don't want that. Meanwhile, anyone want grapejuice?

Here's my ref for anyone who cares.
I don't mind, actually, being drawn in old outfits. I mean, all of my sonas are pretty much just me in different outfits. So I mean, you can draw me in old outfits if you want. I just like creating new outfits for myself, and had an awesome idea for an outfit that I want to be my new current reference. My sona changes outfits often... I guess it's realistic? All you really need to know is that I have curly hair and glasses and you pretty much have a Lett.

And yes, I would love some grapejuice.

Also, I like your ref. It's really helpful and detailed. The circles actually are kinda helpful for other animals' anatomy. (Like dogs)

Well, it seems like everyone's for the OS awards, which is a great idea by the way. So, I'll check if they'd be alright, because I vaguely remember a TCoD awards that didn't go through. (Though there is the ASB awards.) However, we might want to wait a bit, since there's a fair amount of people who don't have examples of their art. Also, any suggestions on how categories, entering, or judging would work?
Well, since I suggested it, I think I should like... help out. Like Kai said that I said, there's lots of sprite contests. Basically, I just consider it an art contest, but more people can win and win awards at something specific rather than just "being the best."

I had the thought that maybe there's like, a specific theme (maybe... OS Group Pictures? So we could get a bunch of those awesome ones) for this OS Awards Night. And like, everyone must draw something for that theme, and then submit it (via posting in the thread) by a certain date. Then perhaps we create a different thread for it, and we have polls. People vote for pieces and can feel free to discuss them in the thread. Somebody's gotta host it too. I volunteer because it was my idea. I figure the host will act like a host at an actual awards night and present the results. And like, I'll make it fun and have little descriptions and comments and stuff of what the place looks like so it's not just, boring contest. People will post their art in the thread, and they can like, pretend like they're in an award show too and make speeches if they've won something, which can be as crazy as they want to. And they can get really into it; that's encouraged.

As for the categories, I suggested a few in my last post... like Best Shading, Best Anatomy, Most Rainbowgasmic (as in, colourful), etc. Things like that. Best Backgrounds too. Just specific parts. And things relying on the subject matter too. Most Creative, Most Entertaining. I'm not too good at this, at coming up with categories, so if someone wants to help out, please do.

Please fill out these forms and submit them to The OS Member Relations Bureau. We'll perform a brief background check and inquire into your credit history and let you know in five to ten business days whether you are eligible for membership at our institution. :v
I love you, Spaekle. That just amused me SO much.

Also, I'll definitely look into some of those art books you guys have suggested.

And welcome back to Dannichu and her rainbowtastic self! Ahaha. Bringing rainbows to the OS since '08 as well as epic cutetasticness.

Oh and hi Phyro! I like your drawing. The fire's much better than my sad attempts at fire. I would suggest though that you make more highlights on your character, as when someone is around fire, they look a lot lighter. Make the fire reflect on them... I'm not sure if that makes sense. Shadows too. Dark shadows. It's a bit tricky to pull off and I've fallen victim to not doing it countless times.

Welcome, former husband. :3 Listen to Spaekle, he's the one who gives out the applications.

Also, at our newer members: If you wanna like, link to the OS in your signature, you should use the Rainbow Lines in ours. (Like, Kai, Spaekle's, Danni's, mine. That's what that means.) That's like, our logo or something. But I've put my own spin on mine, ahaha. You can too.

Last edited:
Spaekle, you are awesome.

Well, since I suggested it, I think I should like... help out. Like Kai said that I said, there's lots of sprite contests. Basically, I just consider it an art contest, but more people can win and win awards at something specific rather than just "being the best."

I had the thought that maybe there's like, a specific theme (maybe... OS Group Pictures? So we could get a bunch of those awesome ones) for this OS Awards Night. And like, everyone must draw something for that theme, and then submit it (via posting in the thread) by a certain date. Then perhaps we create a different thread for it, and we have polls. People vote for pieces and can feel free to discuss them in the thread. Somebody's gotta host it too. I volunteer because it was my idea. I figure the host will act like a host at an actual awards night and present the results. And like, I'll make it fun and have little descriptions and comments and stuff of what the place looks like so it's not just, boring contest. People will post their art in the thread, and they can like, pretend like they're in an award show too and make speeches if they've won something, which can be as crazy as they want to. And they can get really into it; that's encouraged.

As for the categories, I suggested a few in my last post... like Best Shading, Best Anatomy, Most Rainbowgasmic (as in, colourful), etc. Things like that. Best Backgrounds too. Just specific parts. And things relying on the subject matter too. Most Creative, Most Entertaining.
I agree~

Also, if anyone wants a humanoid ref of my persona:
Here. Just take out the bed.

EDIT: I'm linking to the OS in rainbow and text form. Why? I don't know.
EDIT AGAIN: Also someone should draw trophies.

Last edited:
I would be psyched to draw trophies. I mean! Not to shove myself into the position of trophy-drawer or anything, if someone more qualified wants to do it, I fully support that, but I would be a volunteer to draw them if we wanted to have them. :3

Those reference books FMC posted are really sweet, too. I ought to get my hands on a copy of that first human anatomy one; my anatomy definitely needs work. That magazine looks really excellent, as well... I ought to do some research on drawing-instruction books. Maybe then I could improve myself in a more focused direction.

And just to throw in my two cents on helpful reference-things, something that helped me a lot recently was this tutorial on drawing stylized hair. I guess it's pretty specific, so not quite as helpful, but I kind of fell in love with that girl's style of drawing and have been trying to emulate it recently, and drawing hair like she does is both cool-looking (in my opinion) and not too difficult! Win-win.

Oh and hi Phyro! I like your drawing. The fire's much better than my sad attempts at fire. I would suggest though that you make more highlights on your character, as when someone is around fire, they look a lot lighter. Make the fire reflect on them... I'm not sure if that makes sense. Shadows too. Dark shadows. It's a bit tricky to pull off and I've fallen victim to not doing it countless times.

Oh hai there. =3 Thank you very much! And also for the critique - sadly, you don't get much of that over on DeviantART. .... Anyway, yeah, I did forget about the lighting.... I usually just cell shade for the most part, and I'm not too good at going outside my norm when it comes to shading. I should try that though. Thanks. XD

And also, hi there Kai. XD

Brilliant, Mhalsy, brilliant. :3 It'd be awesome if you drew them.

Oh, oh, oh! And I forgot to mention... nominating. Like, you submit your piece in the thread generally. Then everyone like, posts who they nominate for what categories, and then they vote on the nominees in each category. (I say "like" a lot, don't I?)

@Mawile: The laying down on the bed of your sona is a bit awkward. Like, it doesn't look like she's putting her weight on the bed and more like she's just sitting on a stiff block. I'd recommend like... putting a sort of a... sinking point into the bed, where she sinks into it. Some folds and lines and stuff. But it's pretty good otherwise. The style reminds me of Hey Arnold, which was an awesome show, so that's bonus points.

@Phyro: Yeah, it's a shame on DA. But I'm always happy to help. ^^

Thanks for the tips, Arylett~
I think I'm going to redraw that on actual paper eventually.
(My last 2 drawings have both been mouse-drawn. I don't have a tablet. My hand-drawn ones are much better.)

This is very cool and unique-looking, although I can't help but feel like that numel is going to come through my screen and eat me. Help.

Thank you. :3 That's exactly how I wanted it to look.

I have my pokesona reference. Apologies for the horrible handwriting. Link~

Also, I'm up for an art trade if anyone wants to do one.

@Pinestar Welcome! As far as critique on that picture goes, one thing I might say is that if you're going for that chibi sort of style, try using thicker lines and varying your line width. (Like maybe using thicker lines and then tapering them off.) It gives pictures more... dimension, sort of. If that makes any sense.

I also drew my persona! Not a reference sheet, really, and I'm a little boring, that's basically... me, but kind of nicer-looking and wearing cooler clothes than I'd actually wear~ I attempted to do the hair in the style of that person I posted the tutorial of, too. A little bit of a failure, but I think it still looks better than I'd usually do, and I'm definitely going to try that out again. :D

hi guys!!!!!!! exclamation mark

Kai sort of invited me here too, and um... yeah. My name's Blu, and I draw stuff, just like everyone else.

I've never really doodled/scribbled/sketched too much, I just tend to hop straight into full-blown pictures. As a result, there tends to be a kind of... awkward silence inbetween my drawings. But, hopefully that's okay! I dunno, I'd be willing to try and draw a little more if that's one of the club requirements or something.

I don't actually have a persona, but I do have a character with the same name as me. That won't be confusing at all. :B There's also my main dA gallery, and this is my most recent picture (although I am working on something new at the moment. Excitement!).

by the way Mhaladie your watercolours are really excellent in that link you posted. o: That hair's really nice, too, and those are some super-detailed background things! I... usually tend to kind of give up when I get around to the background, hahaha.

And Psymon, first things first, that image is really huge. Seriously! 3500x2500 is crazy. I dunno what art programs you have, but you should look into learning how to resize it down (this should work for Paint, I think?). As for the drawings themselves, your pokesona's pretty cute. :D It's just a little wonky in places, especially on the beaks. I don't blame you, though! Psyduck's beak is pretty gosh-darned tough to get just right. Just keep practicing it, try to smooth out your lines a little more, and also practice drawing circles and ovals.

...man, I feel a little rude just hopping in here with a big post like this. Um, anyone want a free sketch? I might take you up on that art trade too, Psymon, if you'd like.

Hey there Blu. Looks like you chose to join up then, eh? Welcome aboard.

I also drew my persona! Not a reference sheet, really, and I'm a little boring, that's basically... me, but kind of nicer-looking and wearing cooler clothes than I'd actually wear~ I attempted to do the hair in the style of that person I posted the tutorial of, too. A little bit of a failure, but I think it still looks better than I'd usually do, and I'm definitely going to try that out again. :D
Mhals, that is one amazing picture. I find it difficult working with watercolours in general so 'grats to you on getting that beautifully.

Oh, I've drawn something that can be used as a reference for the time being; this was done at work and finished today. The clothes are what I wore to work on the day, which is what I wear on a day to day basis. There is a sorta Kai!outfit that I'll include in a proper reference once I make one.

I think I'll join. Also terrible at drawing and shading and everything, but my drawings fit the title.

EDIT: And now I notice the printer's broken, so I can't scan. Great.

Last edited:
WELL.
I'M BACK.
I HAD FUN.
BUT I MISSED MY COMPUTER AND MY SKETCHPAD GREATLY D:
I'm tired so I'll go over a few things and head off to bed, but yeah.

Firstly, here's the birthday present I drew for my friend. I tried a new style of shading with it, which I think came out nicely.
It's also going to be Ice's second last appearance. Next up is the farewell picture.

I went over some designs with aforementioned friend earlier too, since she wanted to help out with my new persona. I'm pretty happy with them so far, and I'm looking forward to completing the designs

Back
Top Bottom