• Welcome to The Cave of Dragonflies forums, where the smallest bugs live alongside the strongest dragons.

Guests are not able to post messages or even read certain areas of the forums. Now, that's boring, don't you think? Registration, on the other hand, is simple, completely free of charge, and does not require you to give out any personal information at all. As soon as you register, you can take part in some of the happy fun things at the forums such as posting messages, voting in polls, sending private messages to people and being told that this is where we drink tea and eat cod.

Of course I'm not forcing you to do anything if you don't want to, but seriously, what have you got to lose? Five seconds of your life?

A-level results (and in a week GCSEs)

I thought only a handful of universities took any notice of GCSEs.
yeah but that handful is like, all the best unis (at least for stuff like History and English Literature, which is what I'm gunning for) and I have horribly high aims D:

Yes, but you don't need to go scaring everybody else. What results are you aiming at in your GCSEs?

Last edited:
I think by "a handful" you mean like ... five. It's honestly not that important to have stellar GCSEs. What's more important is showing how you've learned from your mistakes by getting kick-ass A-levels.

And some work experience, maybe. Volunteering. IDK, anything that distinguishes you from other people. Academic achievement isn't the only thing they're looking for. You can have all the As in the world but a shit personality can get you a big fat no.

DAMNIT

my GCSEs were extremely average :| 1 A*, 3 As, 5 Bs, 2 Cs and a D

I should probably just accept that I will never get into uni ever
I do know stuff but I just goddamn hate the system and I can never get the hang of working to it

That isn't that average. o_O Average is like 3 Bs, 6 Cs and so on. Or are you talking about average for a clever person?

Now I feel nervous, 'cause I know I'll be lucky to get more than about one A if that. ;___;

Yes, but you don't need to go scaring everybody else. What results are you aiming at in your GCSEs?
All As at minimum.

Apparently, that's not even enough for some of the tougher unis. :(

And some work experience, maybe. Volunteering. IDK, anything that distinguishes you from other people. Academic achievement isn't the only thing they're looking for. You can have all the As in the world but a shit personality can get you a big fat no.
Well I've got work experience already, and more to come this term hopefully! And I haven't done much volunteering yet but there's still two years! Unfortunately, personality is where I utterly fail at and need to compensate heavily for. D:

Am I the only one who lost sleep because of this?
Amazingly, I slept quite well. Did wake up at eight, though. Like Christmas, but with fear!

Did have that nightmare a few days ago, though.

Oh god I went to school at like, nine, and they said to wait until ten thirty argh

I got an A in German, how the hell does that make sense? I suck as German.

I got 7 A*s, 4 As 2 Bs and a D. Didn't do as well as my brother >_>

EDIT: Everyone at school's doing better than me :(

Am I the only one who lost sleep because of this?

I would say no, but I lose sleep every night, so I don't know.

Last edited:
holy motherfucking BITCH we got results.

and DID we get results.

English Lit - A*
English Language - A (the explanatory notes with the grades seem to suggest that this was the highest possible grade for the exam)
German - A*
Maths - A*
Additional Science - A* (how in fuck's name did I get an A*)
Science - A* (last year's exams so it's not really news)
History - A (aw)
Geography - A (and after all that bloody effort I put into revision and coursework ¬_¬)
French - A (frankly, I was expecting a B so this is really nice)

all in all, I'm satisfied.

Geography - A (and after all that bloody effort I put into revision and coursework ¬_¬)
Seems that loads of people think this D:
The only coursework that I think people at my school found frustrating. That's the only subject that disappointed me.

I got um

English Language - B
English Literature - A
French - A
Geography - B
German - A
ICT - A*
Maths -A*
RE -A*
Welsh Language - A
Welsh Literature - A*
Biology - A*
Chemistry - A*
Physics - A*
Latin - D

Seems that loads of people think this D:
The only coursework that I think people at my school found frustrating. That's the only subject that disappointed me.
I know! It's the bloody coursework that dragged everyone down. Was yours the "find two CBDs and compare them" shit as well?

Also, you had to do Welsh language and literature as well as English. AND you did three sciences and got A*s in all of them. And you did French AND German AND Latin. I have serious respect for you. O_o

I know! It's the bloody coursework that dragged everyone down. Was yours the "find two CBDs and compare them" shit as well?

Also, you had to do Welsh language and literature as well as English. AND you did three sciences and got A*s in all of them. And you did French AND German AND Latin. I have serious respect for you. O_o

We had two options, either the one about CBDs or the one about rivers. I did rivers. It dragged me down because the teacher kept telling me something was missing from the coursework, when I asked what she described something that I already did, so I got all confused.
Which CBDs did you have to do?

And Welsh is incredibly dumbed down to give the people in the lower classes a chance. In literature they give you all of the answers and all you have to do it remember them, there's hardly any analysing as most of that's already done for you.
I resat some science so that's why I got an A* in all of them.
And trust me, I regret taking German and Latin, it was foolish of me to take all of the languages.

lulllz. I look so lame and dumb compared to you guys. XD

This is what I got for main subjects/subjects I care anything about:

English Language - A
English Literature - B
Geography - B
Maths - B
Business Studies - C
French - C (even though I got A* for the coursework, she put me in f*cking foundation >_>)
Food Technology: D
Statistics - B (two marks of an A, damnit)

And then a load of other random crap like Science. Except I was put in foundation. FOUNDATION. So I didn't do any work in protest and ended up with a D. XD

Say what you want, I'm fairly pleased. Maths is more than I expected, would have been happy with a C.

Only thing I'm disappointed with is English. :/ My friend got A* and A, I got A and B, and I know I could have gotten as good as her. Blah.

Oh god the Geography coursework was hell. The word CBD makes me shiver now...

Well I'm still in yr10 so I don't have many results but I got B in Statistics and Merit in DiDA (equals A apparently, I don't know) and I had these Science results but I don't really get them. It says I got A in Biology, B in Physics and A* in Chemistry but as this is only a part of my GCSEs I don't really know what it's worth. It's the first three topics if that clears anything up, like C1,C2,C3 etc. Still, not sure what I do with those.

Also, congratulations to everyone who got good results. :D

All As at minimum.

Apparently, that's not even enough for some of the tougher unis. :(
I got A*A*A*A*AAAAABB and my school, which gets about fifteen people into Oxford and Cambridge each year, told me that my grades were fine.

It seems that the geography coursework was universally despised this year. Even my geography teacher said that it was full of shit.

All this has not yet put me off doing Geography A-level though. :P

Which CBDs did you have to do?
Bromley (a shit place) and Crystal Palace (an even shittier place).

Suffice it to say that I never want to go to either place again. :(

And rivers sounds practically heavenly by comparison. It's just that I don't live anywhere near one that could actually be studied for GCSE.

And then a load of other random crap like Science. Except I was put in foundation. FOUNDATION. So I didn't do any work in protest and ended up with a D. XD
Dude, that's evil. They didn't even ask your opinion on dumping you in Foundation?

I got A*A*A*A*AAAAABB and my school, which gets about fifteen people into Oxford and Cambridge each year, told me that my grades were fine.
Really? I heard that if you get less than six A*s, it's not even worth applying to Oxbridge; their standards are THAT badass. O_o

i wish i never came in this thread i feel like a dumb shit

geography - C
graphics - A
english lang - C
enlgish lit - B
maths - B
french - C
art - B
citizenship - A
RE - B
ICT - C
science core - B
science additional - B

And rivers sounds practically heavenly by comparison. It's just that I don't live anywhere near one that could actually be studied for GCSE.

Me neither so we went on a field trip to some place near Wrexham so we could both study its CBD and the rivers nearby.

Really? I heard that if you get less than six A*s, it's not even worth applying to Oxbridge; their standards are THAT badass. O_o

I heard it was something like 57% A*s, although that's probably wrong as is seems a bit arbitrary.

i wish i never came in this thread i feel like a dumb shit

At least you didn't get a D. :)

That seems a bit unfair, did she say why?

Not really, just that I wouldn't be able to handle it. But even if I just got Cs in the higher exams and oral exam, the coursework would still have possibly pulled my grade up to B, which is why I didn't like their decision. :/

Plus they made that decision before I got my coursework results, and I was expecting like a C or something 'cause I thought I was bad at French. So when they told me I was doing foundation I just accepted it. Wish I hadn't now, though.

Wtf? Fifteen people? What sort of a school do you go to?

I heard it was something like 57% A*s, although that's probably wrong as is seems a bit arbitrary.
That sounds like an average not a minimum.
Wtf? Fifteen people? What sort of a school do you go to?
Two things. I meant fifteen altogether, not fifteen to Oxford and fifteen to Cambridge. If you're still amazed, I ought to point out that I go to the rare sort of comprehensive that offers GCSE Ancient Greek and A-level Classics and Latin. So few people from comprehensive schools apply for Classics that Oxford and Cambridge are almost grateful when they do. They get in easily. Not all those fifteen had applied for Classics, but plenty of them had.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom