• Welcome to The Cave of Dragonflies forums, where the smallest bugs live alongside the strongest dragons.

Guests are not able to post messages or even read certain areas of the forums. Now, that's boring, don't you think? Registration, on the other hand, is simple, completely free of charge, and does not require you to give out any personal information at all. As soon as you register, you can take part in some of the happy fun things at the forums such as posting messages, voting in polls, sending private messages to people and being told that this is where we drink tea and eat cod.

Of course I'm not forcing you to do anything if you don't want to, but seriously, what have you got to lose? Five seconds of your life?

Blaguarro Town Abandoned District

"I said I'd be here," came a sharp reply from a tall, silver-furred 'mon, striding up along the outside of the party.

She wore a long duster coat, a wild rag around her neck, and a cloak over her head. Once in sight of the party she reached up and pulled the cloak down, revealing her face – and her amber-clouded, sightless eyes. This was the Wandering Light – Zeraora Luz.

"Sky and stars, there's more'n a few of you," she muttered.

The legendary pokémon came to a stop at the front of the crowd, offering a tight nod to Cascada before she turned to address the offworlders.

"...Clear skies, those callin' themselves 'Wayfarers'," she began.

She didn't raise her voice, but it was clearer than it had been in the saloon. More at ease.

"I've heard that you've been seeking someone to give you the power of Radiance. I've asked around after you... and I've heard that you're a band of rash, impatient, stubborn rogues that've trashed their share of private property, been seen using the powers of witching beasts, and have an awful habit of walkin', ill-prepared and under-strength, right into the jaws of trouble. It'll get you killed some day, I've heard it said."

She paused for breath, a tight smile pulling at her muzzle.

"...I've also heard that you've put yourselves at risk for the sake of others, cleared out bandit nests and cleared folks' names, been welcomed by the Rangers for your good deeds, and impressed the Escarpa with your courage. So maybe there's something to be said for you, all in all."

The ancient cat sniffed, and clenched one paw until the knuckles popped.

"Radiance ain't just a warm glow. Its strength will keep you safe from danger, but it'll burn you if you let it. If you carry Radiance with you, it'll be a light against the darkness, and a naked torch in your paw that'll just as soon catch your home on fire as warm you. It takes guts, heart, and a clear mind to use this power as it oughta be."

Luz' sightless eyes flashed gold, and a solar light bled from between the digits of her tightened fist.

"You got guts and heart, at least. That'll have to do."

She held up her paw, and opened her palm. In it, she held the sun.

“This is… quite the ensemble they’ve assembled here, I gotta admit,” mused Silver whisperingly, before whistling in intrigue and his gaze darting in all directions as he studied the various attires and appearances of their allies.

Whoa! Everything seemed like one of those epic scenes from one of those crossover superhero movies, with the main difference being that everything was happening in real life… and that meant that the stakes were also way more real and punishing, if not deadly.

“Let’s just hope that the ending of all of this will be much closer to all those shoujo stories that Kotone love so much, where justice and goodwill and all that mushy crap triumph over all evil and without too much bloodshed…”

He kinda doubted that things were going to be that easy, but that didn’t stop him from hoping for the best. It’s just that his brand of optimism - if he could define what he was feeling in that way — was more of the cautious variant.

And then arrived that silver-furred feline — Luz, apparently — holding out a ball made of literal burning light. He quirked a brow at that display, quickly noticing the difference between what Shira showed at the abbey and the sheer power behind Luz’s Radiance, and it was immense.

“Yeah. We’re definitely heading into shoujo territory right now. Alright, cool…” he quipped, leaning back with his arms crossed. Though he had to admit one thing: Luz knew how to make an entrance!

Last edited:
Bellatrix eyed the light in Luz's paw, waiting for something to happen. That was it. The very thing she had been looking for since her meeting with the Escarpa. "How does it work?" she asked. "Do we just bathe in its light and allow it enter our auras that way or must we touch it?"

Isidora kept her arms crossed. "Find any signs of activity?" she asked him.
The momentarily distracted dodrio found themselves snapping back to attention at one of the sneasels. "Some shuffling in the dark here and there. Gotta keep quiet unless you wanna try your luck at fighting a Witching Beast in the dark," answered V. "Closer we get to that big ol' door, the more you need to keep an eye out on."

Grace blinked for a moment, whipping around to stare down Luz, then frowned. Her earlier vibe was fading. "Well, um, not all of us were part of that destruction, but I guess we are also a team..." she murmured, then managed a smile. "It's nice to meet you! I've been eager to learn how to control Radiance to maybe try and help those that are Shadowed..."

Wow, a lot of people were gathering, huh?

"Maybe we should have a small celebration after a successful raid!"

Then she squeaked and covered her mouth. Maybe she should be a little quieter...

Koa had stayed mostly quiet and kept to himself for the ride there, only making sporadic conversation here and there. His mind was fixated on the fight ahead, on the chance to make things right once and for all. For Seth, and Mhynt, and everyone in Blaguarro who'd been wronged by groups like Cipher. He might not have had the power to help much back home, but here he could.

Seeing much of their allies come out in force helped ease his fears. The townspeople would be protected, at least. In the end, he'd felt too uneasy about the prospect of delving into the labs, and didn't trust himself to try and rescue prisoners. He felt compelled to stay near Archie and by extension, Bellatrix. People he trusted and knew well. He could only hope beyond hope that Alex wouldn't be here.

It wasn't until Luz appeared that he let his fears fall away for a moment, fixating on her, and the blazing light she held. He approached, moving stiffly and stopped before her. This was it. Carry the lantern. "Show us what to do."

Isidora nodded to the dodrio. We'll be stealthy then.

And then with Luz's appearance, her attention was set squarely on her and the light she held, eyes alight with fascination. It was time to gain their edge against Cipher. But she couldn't bring herself to care about that. Light, shadow, and the power of the soul... Isidora wanted- needed desperately to understand that power, and the only way to do so was to possess it.

Isidora's ear twitched at the togetic's proposal, momentarily saving her from her desires. Almost lost myself there... She addressed Grace with a slight smile. "If all goes well, it'd be weird if we didn't."

Back to Luz. The sneasel took a deep breath, her head a little clearer now. "I'm ready."

Last edited:
Everyone stared at the glinting light in Luz's open palm with such interest. And yet... Nova's head crest drooped slightly. Mismatched black and white fur prickled. Perhaps he'd been ignoring the exact terminology and what it meant for the longest time. But now that there were staring down Luz's power — glistening light that seemed different yet dreadfully familiar — it had, perhaps, finally dawned on him.

A raid. They were going on a raid.

The very last thing Nova did as a free 'mon was raid a base. With people who wielded a light-based power.

A raid that plunged him into a shadowy abyss.

But there isn't here, Nova told himself, trying to keep his claws from digging into the floor. He had more allies here. The powers at play were different. His powers were different. So, this would be different. It had to be. Nova had to believe that.

Rather than wait for too long, Nova stepped toward Luz. Perhaps she'd pick up on his footsteps and know he was approaching. "Don't forget stubbornness. We've that in spades."

He lifted a foreleg and held his claws toward the light, pushing thoughts of a giant, humanoid mess of black crystals from his head.

This was all probably a terrible fucking idea, but here they were. Going to confront Cipher, free the prisoners and stop them escaping. What could go wrong.

Dave trudged alongside the group, head low, ears pinned back against his head. Supposedly, Luz, the Wandering Light, was going to come give them Radiance here. Sure, give a delicate power to a bunch of people you don't know right before they have to use it in a serious life-and-death fight. Who needs 'teaching' or 'practice' when you can just throw them in the deep end and hope they figure it out? While being assaulted by a team of criminals who liked to turn people into zombies? Fuck.

"...Clear skies, those callin' themselves 'Wayfarers'," she began.

She didn't raise her voice, but it was clearer than it had been in the saloon. More at ease.

"I've heard that you've been seeking someone to give you the power of Radiance. I've asked around after you... and I've heard that you're a band of rash, impatient, stubborn rogues that've trashed their share of private property, been seen using the powers of witching beasts, and have an awful habit of walkin', ill-prepared and under-strength, right into the jaws of trouble. It'll get you killed some day, I've heard it said."

She paused for breath, a tight smile pulling at her muzzle.

"...I've also heard that you've put yourselves at risk for the sake of others, cleared out bandit nests and cleared folks' names, been welcomed by the Rangers for your good deeds, and impressed the Escarpa with your courage. So maybe there's something to be said for you, all in all."

The ancient cat sniffed, and clenched one paw until the knuckles popped.

"Radiance ain't just a warm glow. Its strength will keep you safe from danger, but it'll burn you if you let it. If you carry Radiance with you, it'll be a light against the darkness, and a naked torch in your paw that'll just as soon catch your home on fire as warm you. It takes guts, heart, and a clear mind to use this power as it oughta be."

Luz' sightless eyes flashed gold, and a solar light bled from between the digits of her tightened fist.

"You got guts and heart, at least. That'll have to do."

She held up her paw, and opened her palm. In it, she held the sun.
Luz didn't make an entrance like a god. More like a disguised stranger in a mystery film, with a dry lecture on their supposed failings and the risks of Radiance, blind eyes gazing critically at the crowd. He didn't bother confronting her about all the ways this was ill-advised. Waste of fucking time. None of this was real anyway. Maybe if he was lucky he'd finally get to go home.

The light in her paw was blinding, and he shielded his eyes, squinting. In his chest, something wavered. Permanence. Once this thing was in them it was in them for good.

Nova was first to physically reach out towards the light. Luz nodded towards him to indicate that this was the done thing – she offered her palm and as his claws met the miniature star, its golden energy entered his body in what looked, for a second or two, as if he were evolving.

"You might feel a sting," warned Luz, drily. "Keep your wits about you. I'm givin' you just enough so's you can channel it into your normal techniques. Focus, act with purpose, with conviction. It'll come to you."

From the sound of it, they'd be able to wield enough Radiance to tint one in every several attacks with the energy, just as they already could with Shadow. When Sierra had wielded Radiance, she'd used a unique move all her own without needing to channel a change in type. That was what Luz had decided, then – to grant access to Radiance, but not to fuel the offworlders with any more light than that.

Laura stepped forward, her head buzzing with thoughts about conviction. Always, her noivern Malachai was telling her she needed conviction. Always, she found herself paralysed by indecision, too troubled by risks and fears and doubts. Always she fought to act anyway. She forced her limbs forward, reached out...

Her eyes screwed shut as her paw pads made contact with what felt like liquid fire and her vision filled with light. Her jaw clenched, her tail stood on end, her claws extended. It wasn't pain, exactly. After a moment, it wasn't pain at all. It felt like adrenaline, sunlight, golden apple cider. She could do anything. She would enjoy it.

She pulled her paw back, and breathed heavily, intensely conscious of how little she was blinking.

"I think I get it," she said, quietly.

"You'd better," murmured the blind Saint, her eyes aglow.

Bellatrix watched as Nova and Laura reached out to invite the power into their bodies. She waited for a few more moments to see if they would spontaneously combust given the presence of Shadow within all of them but when they didn't, she stepped forwards to touch the light for herself.

Above all else, Bellatrix was determined and she allowed that determination to carry through as the light seeped through her claws. Her will would remain ironclad when she would face down those in charge of this accursed facility and bring them to justice. She pulled back almost as swiftly as she moved forward and nodded. "I will use it wisely," she assured, brushing down her mane which had begun to raise and billow despite the air remaining still.

Hopefully, by the time they reached the facility, the power would have settled enough to call it forth easily. Bellatrix felt like they were going to need it down there.

Radiant light shone before him, like a miniature sun. He remembered the way Luz spoke of the radiance, but he also remembered of the power he'd heard it could grant. His heart thrummed, both with apprehension and excitement as well. Someone like you will never be good enough to wield it. You're tainted. After a moment's hesitation, Koa reached out and touched the light.

A tingling sensation washed over him, along with a rich, bright warmth. His eyes widened slightly. Static-y buzzing set his whole body alight, drowning out all else. For a moment, his fear and doubt and that constant nagging voice in the back of his mind fell away, leaving behind a distant, white noise. Clarity. Purpose. Conviction.

I can make a difference. I can finally do something good. Be something good.

He exhaled, and sounds slowly flowed back to him, leaving a strange... emptiness? A longing, to touch the light again. Blinking away the odd sensation, he reflexively grounded himself the way he had before with shadows, feeling the rough ground underpaw, the sticky warmth of the air and the mingling scents around him. The silence in his mind faded.

Opening his eyes, he met Luz's sightless gaze, struck in that moment by the gravity of what she was offering. Even so, he felt a determined flicker of a smile cross his face. Resolve burned anew in him. As dangerous as it was, they had hope now. "Thank you. I... I'll use it well," he said finally, once he found the words.

The energy buzzed around in Nova's head. Those closest might've heard his cheek bolts rattle a bit in their sockets. His turquoise feathers and mechanical parts flickered gold.

A misshapen crystal beast floated past him. "I've said it before." It folded its hands behind its back. "It's all well and good to have convictions. But they mean nothing without the power to back them up."

It stuck its blocky right arm out. A blade of light formed in its claws, warping the air around them. "Might makes right. To protect, one must also destroy. That's the nature of our world."

It continued forward, the blade at its side. "If they choose to brand me some 'Renegade, then so be it. I won't be deterred. If you've come this far, then you understand, too, don't you?"

Nova shook his head. Not this world. He had to keep his head on straight.

He took a step breath, exhaling deeply. Was his breath warmer than before? Hopefully just his imagination.

Last edited:
When Mhynt acquired the little echo of the sun, she stepped back and closed her eyes, savoring its warm sting without so much as a flinch. She reveled in it. Bathed in it. Like seeing an old friend. The shadow behind her twisted itself into a crescent bat for a few seconds. Then, it twisted back to her mundane Grovyle form.

"Right, then," she said, sticking her arm outward. From her palm, a Leaf Blade of golden light erupted, spiraling with that power like it was second nature to her -- a far better control over it than she'd so much as dared to use Shadow.

"I think I have some practice with this," she hummed, letting the blade dispel. "The aura here is... weak and it'll need to acclimate. But mentally, I am more than prepared."

As Grace's first exposure to either source of power... she wasn't sure what she'd been expecting.

Seeing that Nova and Koa were fine, she reached for her own filament of light, feeling a strange, burning sensation that didn't hurt her. Again, she was reminded of the upcoming mission that they were moments away from starting.

They were about to raid Cipher. Put a stop to their operations. Save those that were inflicted with Shadows. Save those that were inflicted with Shadows. She had to save them.

She didn't notice her own eyes already glowing as she stared ahead once again.

But... she couldn't lose herself, either. This feeling was strange, but... she couldn't get lost in it. Maybe she could wield it, and this was what she wanted...

This was new, but she had to use it.

"I think... I should train with this before I use it," she said quietly. "I'd like to be coached on it before I can rely on it in battle."

The group had been searching for Radiance all month. Jade had known that, had been expecting that in all likelihood, they'd find it. But that didn't compare to seeing it here, in front of them, a sun in the palm of a wandering legend who'd been holding onto it for hundreds of years, and was now about to pass it to them.

A Legendary, reaching out to her with an offer, a mission. Begrudging, but still willing to take a chance. Maybe this time she'd actually succeed.

The Light felt like wings pointed back and the ground rushing up at breakneck speed, fifty, forty, thirty feet away. It was the buzzing in the back of her head when the perfect opportunity showed itself, demanding to be taken immediately because nothing else mattered but the perfection of it. It was there when she'd taken a gamble and unleashed the primals, and it was there when she'd fired the Master Ball.

It was the voice that would not, could not let her leave the fight, no matter how badly she wanted to, because this was the only way to matter.

As she pulled her paw back from the Zeraora's offering, the burning glow of the sun's fire in her veins reminded Jade that there was no going back. Just like last time.

Isidora waited impatiently for her turn. Her claws itched and flexed. She began scratching her arms, desperate to feel something. Anything. Until finally she got the chance to reach out and grab it.

The stinging feeling that washed over her was familiar, but she was prepared this time. And now that she was, she found the burning to not be nearly as unsettling as before. If anything, it felt tame. A little uncomfortably warm, at worst. Was that supposed to be how the drawback felt? For a half second she wondered if she was supposed to worry about this. And then, like time, it passed.

Isidora walked away from Luz staring at her unsheathed claws, keeping the feeling in mind while a confident smirk grew on her face. She still needed to figure out how to draw this power in time for the battle, but she had no doubts about her ability to do so. Apparently she needed to worry about restraint lest it kill her, but the idea wasn't foreign nor did it seem particularly alarming. She figured out how to keep it under control the first time, hadn't she? And that time felt worse.

It just needed a little proper concentration, like Shadow. And figuring out Shadow had been easy. Controlling Radiance was going to be easy. This mission was going to be easy. Cipher wouldn't know what hit them, they didn't stand a chance against her. And she was ready to prove it, like always.

So, that was it? All they needed to do was to touch that portable sun, without rituals or anything? Was it really that simple? Kinda anticlimactic, perhaps, but hey! Silver appreciated when things weren’t too convoluted or unpractical.

The now-Sneasel shrugged nonchalantly and approached the legendary as soon as he got his chance, his eyes narrowing when he got close to the near-blinding light. “Conviction, huh…” he muttered, his head tilting inquisitively as he held one clawed paw above the small sun. Then, without hesitation, he touched it.

Bright flashes instantly filled his vision and his entire body felt energized and weightless, tingling with a warm and pulsating power. With each flash, he felt his determination strengthening further and his judgment quieting down, while his sense of morality faded. Yes… oh heck yes, nothing could stop him now, and he WASN’T gonna let anyone try to stand in HIS way!

Conviction…

The clawed paw was gone. Instead, he saw a hand. A familiar hand with a familiar black jacket. His own hand, fully opened, as it reached out for something…

Don’t hold back!

In its grasp, there wasn’t a glowing sphere anymore. What he saw was a Pokéball. Totodile’s Pokéball. Immaculate, without any scratches or wear, just like the day he stole it…

Don’t let go!

The Pokéball in his hand glinted under the sunlight filtering through the window. It shook once, and the button flashed with a warm light. The registration to his Trainer Card was completed. That Pokémon was his Pokémon now…

Pursue your goals at all costs!

“Ah!”

On reflex, Silver pulled away from the bright sphere, his fully extended claws (when did he unsheathe them?) running through the glowing surface. He stared numbly at the golden particles flickering around their tips, noticing how his venom had taken a similar tint. Just like stuff of legends; just like ichor.

“…This’ll take some time to get used to,” he murmured after a couple of breathless seconds, holding his voice steady enough to not show how unnerved he was about that entire experience. “Thanks. I’ll use this power responsibly.”

And without another word, Silver bowed respectfully and distanced himself from the Saint, quickly finding some solace in mixing himself with the crowd. Only then he allowed himself to gasp, his chest heaving with the great intakes of air he was taking, and his body shaking.

W-what the hell was that?!

Last edited:
The zapdos was so big that its talons crunched dents into the burned-out generator it had perched on. Electricity arced furiously around it, as if the storm they'd only just escaped had chased them inside. Its gaze pierced into her and her pokémon like lightning that'd already struck as it screeched out its challenge.

Come closer, if you dare. Face me, if you're worthy.

Dad had thrown his arm in front of her, as if that'd do anything at all if the zapdos chose to attack. Tank had locked his brand-new cannons onto it, growling defiantly in spite of the overwhelming disadvantage. And she... she'd wanted to. So, so badly. What trainer worth their badges hadn't dreamed of a moment like this? But she was freezing, and dead tired, and her team was spent—who wouldn't be, after only just managing to haul each other out of a flash-flooded river—and keeping them and her dad safe was... more important.

"No," she'd said, firm as she could through chattering teeth. "Not now. Not yet." And the zapdos... stopped. Still loomed above them, still stared down at them, but it folded its wings and its flaring lightning settled to a dim glow. It watched them, and they'd watched back, until exhaustion won out and she and Dad couldn't keep their eyes open any longer. In the morning it was gone, just like the storm, the only sign it'd ever been there the black-and-gold feather that had fallen(?) to the ground where they'd slept. Not now. Not yet. (But maybe someday.)

The Wandering Light looked less like a fearsome legendary pokémon and more like an ol' gunslinger who'd whirled into the saloon on a dusty day. Rough and mysterious, but tired. And yet the tiny little blip of light in her paw shone with all the intensity of a massive thunderbird glaring out of the dark.

Come closer, if you dare. Take me, if you're worthy.

This wasn't just a battle. The pokémon waiting for them weren't just living their lives in a run-down plant. They were prisoners, and victims, and horrible people who would just make more prisoners and victims if they weren't stopped now. And even if she had been exhausted, half-drowned and shivering, it wasn't like she had time to wait.

Leaf touched the tip of her horn to the light.

It burned, for a second, heat racing up and down her body like an electric charge. She wanted to race, to go flying through the tunnels, to strike the cells like lightning and tear them apart and set everyone free. They could do it, she could do it, she would do it, they just needed to stop waiting and go—

She pulled back from the light and took a deep breath. They had to do this right, of course. Everyone working together, everyone who'd already worked so hard to give the trapped pokémon the best chance of escape, prepared to take down Cipher once and for all. They had this, and they wouldn't let Luz down, as long as they helped each other keep their heads on straight.

(Not now. Not yet. But soon.)

Last edited:
Anite watched the Wayfarers accept the light blessing and after a few rounds, she straightened herself and rolled her shoulders back. "Well what are we waiting for? This damned hole ain't gonna blow itself and I sure as hell ain't gonna wait." The aggron turned and began to ram her horns against the slaughterhouse's immense doors, opening the way for the group.

The aggron let out a satisfied huff and lumbered into the building. Tala raised a brow but followed with a shrug.

Mav jumped with a start at the sight and swiftly ran in after them. "Wait! Wait! Wait! Tala! Anite!" called all three of Mav's heads. "You need to let us go first! We know the way!"

"Admire yourselves on the way," called Tala. "We have a job to do."

Bellatrix couldn't help but admire the proactivity. With a nod to her fellow Wayfarers she walked into the slaughterhouse to follow the locals.

Steven had kept to himself for most of the trip to Blaguarro, hanging near the back of the group, checking his pouch again, and again, and again-- It was silly because he'd only packed a few things: the list of missing persons he and Lucian had put together, a few healing berries, and the amethyst.

Was he nervous? It's not like he hadn't dealt with Shadows since that night at the Haus. There had been Seth, and Wes, and his own evolution. They weren't so foreign and unknown anymore. Then why was he fiddling with the straps of his bracer for the thousandth time?

He tried to tamp down on his runaway emotions as they made their way through the unsettlingly quiet Blaguarro streets. Soon they were assembled outside the building that housed the entrance to Terminal Two. A crowd had gathered around someone, he was at the back and couldn't really see well. He floated higher to get a look, only to catch sight of a face in the crowd he'd associated with an entirely different set of emotions.

He weaved through the group until he was next to her, announcing his presence with a soft hum, so as to not startle her. "Hey, Odette. How are you holding up? This is the first time coming back here since--" his gaze fell slightly, he remembered the bandages she'd worn, "since then."

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom