• Welcome to The Cave of Dragonflies forums, where the smallest bugs live alongside the strongest dragons.

Guests are not able to post messages or even read certain areas of the forums. Now, that's boring, don't you think? Registration, on the other hand, is simple, completely free of charge, and does not require you to give out any personal information at all. As soon as you register, you can take part in some of the happy fun things at the forums such as posting messages, voting in polls, sending private messages to people and being told that this is where we drink tea and eat cod.

Of course I'm not forcing you to do anything if you don't want to, but seriously, what have you got to lose? Five seconds of your life?

Black & White

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dark type is the Aku (Evil) type in Japan. A light type makes no sense.

Well then couldn't a Light type actually be, like, good, or pure in Japan, to match with evil, but when they translate it they make it Light type to match with Dark?

EDIT: ie, instead of making a 光 (Hikari) type, make it a 善 (Zen) type, then translate it into Light, fitting with Dark.

Guys, just stick with Ice for fuck's sake. What would be the point of making a new type this far into the games?

I have the tradition of getting the second title (Blue, Silver, Sapphire, LeafGreen, Pearl, SoulSilver)... it'd be a shame to ruin that now, haha. So I guess I'll be getting White.

Exactly how I think, too. I'll be getting White, especially if there's an Ice-type legendary.

I just hope that if an ice-type legendary is gonna be the case, that it's more than decent with a good moveset.

Because honestly, ice types haven't gotten much love.

Guys, just stick with Ice for fuck's sake. What would be the point of making a new type this far into the games?

I wasn't saying that there should be a Light type, just that it's possible and there's a justification for it. I don't understand why people seem to want an Ice-type mascot either. How is Ice counterparty to Dark?

Yeah, but you know what I mean...I think that the Sevii Islands originally were going to be a whole new region, but it didn't pan out so they tacked it onto the end of the Kanto Remake.

But Black and White will probably be just like any other region, with it's own special twist. Such as Hoenn's Rainy Routes, Sinnoh's Snow/Distortion World.

they could always just have the white mascot be normal type, and the black mascot be dark type.

or, you know, the white mascot be grass/fighting and the black mascot be... i don't know, rock/flying. just as long as they're physically white and black i don't think it matters if they're counterparts type-wise.

I wasn't saying that there should be a Light type, just that it's possible and there's a justification for it. I don't understand why people seem to want an Ice-type mascot either. How is Ice counterparty to Dark?

How is Psychic a counterpart to Fire (Lugia/Ho-oh)?

Colour-wise.

Ice = clear therefore pure.

How is Psychic a counterpart to Fire (Lugia/Ho-oh)?

Ho-oh: Guardian of the Skies
Lugia: Guardian of the Seas

Minnow said:

How are any of the types a counterpart for any of them?

Let's start with the most obvious types that people frequently quote as being 'counterparts'. Water > Fire. It's one of the few type advantages that make sense in the games, and yet, it's hardly a counterpart at all. Water will always beat fire. If you have a water type use only water-type moves and a fire-type use only fire-type moves, and both pokemon are balanced in every way aside from their typing, water will win. How are those types counterparts to each other? A counterpart is something that is equal to something else in the same way a clone is, or that it complements something else. Water/Fire don't do this. In fact, none of the types do. There are no statistical counterparts in the games, no types that are completely equal in overall stats, weaknesses, advantages, amount of pokemon and amount of attacks. To get counterparts you need a true ying-yang sort of effect, and we don't have that.

So, since there haven't been any counterparts in the games so far, why would they introduce it now? Presumably a good reason to do it would be plot-based, because black & white sound like the ideal reason to do that, but hang on. Plot? In a pokemon game? They always have the exact same plot elements: beating your rival, defeating this version's evil team, becoming the very best, catching/defeating legendaries, completing pokedex. Whether they would introduce a really strong good/evil plot twist - strong enough for them to change the mechanics of the game, at least - sounds pretty unlikely to me. They didn't create space and time types for palkia and dialga, nor did they create any new ones because of arceus (which Light would probably most appropriate). Actually, considering that arceus can already transform into all of the types as it is, it's a pretty clear ringer to me that we aren't going to get any more.

Bug and Poison in the R/B/Y were sort of counterparts, type-wise; each was super effective on the other. But they didn't have the rest of the stuff you mentioned - same number of Pokémon, weaknesses, attacks, advantages and similar stats. Meh :/

I'd probaly get White but I want to hear about legendaires first. They sort of do sound like hacks a little bit though;Black reminds me of Chaos Black

So, a new Pokemon may get shown on the 9th.

Any guesses as to what it could be? Maybe it'll be another electrical rodent sort of thing.

I doub that the new legendary will be Ice, just as much I doubt it will be Dark for Black. I don't know why everyone assumes it is.

I would kill for any good ice types. I think ice is awesome, but it has terrible Pokémon.
Well, there are only like two or three pure-ice types, but the mixes are just fine. Like Jynx, Lapras, and Weavile...

I doub that the new legendary will be Ice, just as much I doubt it will be Dark for Black. I don't know why everyone assumes it is.

Well gee, because the color black is usually associated with dark. *gasp*

Ice, well, if you really think about it, the majority of ice in the world is translucent-ish or white-ish, so yeah. White is typically ice/snow related in some way or another.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom