• Welcome to The Cave of Dragonflies forums, where the smallest bugs live alongside the strongest dragons.

Guests are not able to post messages or even read certain areas of the forums. Now, that's boring, don't you think? Registration, on the other hand, is simple, completely free of charge, and does not require you to give out any personal information at all. As soon as you register, you can take part in some of the happy fun things at the forums such as posting messages, voting in polls, sending private messages to people and being told that this is where we drink tea and eat cod.

Of course I'm not forcing you to do anything if you don't want to, but seriously, what have you got to lose? Five seconds of your life?

Open Brave New World

Spencer stared at the Seviper with an eyebrow twitiching in irritation. "Cute." He muttered. He turned back to Senica, trying his best to ignore the breath of her Pokemon. "Spencer. Grew up in Slateport, and I've been touring Sinnoh for a little while with a friend. All I have is this-" He presented his Pokeball. "A Lucario. He's a tough little bugger, but I wouldn't be surprised if he has an extra chromosome. You don't have anything to worry about from him. If you want, I'll let him out and you can see him for what he is. Can't garuntee he'll go back inside, though."

He sighed, stepping away from her Pokemon in annoyance. Hadn't they heard of personal space? "You wouldn't happen to have seen a guy in town about my height, dark hair, real flirty and immature? Likes to show off to people." He doubted Bryce was here, but he might as well give it a shot.

He silently wondered, If Bryce IS in Veilstone, would he be acting himself? Or would he be looking for me as feverishly as I have been for him?... Nah, that's just stupid. In all liklihood, Bryce had forged on to sandy beaches and just continued flirting and causing the usual racket in hopes Spencer would eventually pick up on him. At least I'll be able to trace the sound of snapping bikini straps if I go there.

Kupo finally settles down on Arc's head, looking tom the room where Payden was resting. She was sad to hear that the other one was not around, but the news of the human stronghold was interesting at least. "Maybe she's safe there..." she muttered before looking back up and blinking a bit. She then giggles as she urges Arc closer to the door.

---

He stared at the ceiling, wondering what he should do now. He heard the vase break and was worried there was an attack. When nothing came from it other than a happy squeal, he settled his racing heart and waited. He let his eyes close for a moment as he tries to settle his thoughts, sensing that one of the other pokemon had poked in to check on him.

he'd be lying if he claimed he wasn't flattered by the amount of careful care he was shown.

But the squeal still drew his attention, wondering what it was to make Kupo that happy. He starts to sit up, holding his arm against himself and looked to the door, aware of Bran and Vyne on the bed with him while the subtle scratching of claws underneath was Bun stirring from her rest and watching the door as well. Sooner or later they were going to see who it was that got such a rise out of the hyper Rotom.

Glum followed closely after Arc and Kupo as they headed down the hall to the room Payden was in. He stayed quiet, pondering. He was sure that Payden was awake and probably wondering, after the Dusknoir had shattered the vase and Kupo had squealed at Arc. He hoped that the man wasn't scared, though.

Glum sighed, and quietly hummed the tune again. It was somewhat ominous, but strangely sweet, too. It was almost like a children's lullaby, maybe from a horror production, but it didn't sound scary, but more calming. He just kept humming, becoming oblivious. His mind wandered and he accidentally turned intangible and floated through Arc and Kupo. He stopped in front of them, stopping his humming as he was in the doorway first. He hadn't done that to anything or anyone in ages. He turned around, then back, looking between Arc and Kupo in the hall and Payden leaning on his bed, and was silent.

--------------

Blazer waddled slightly as he padded along one of the walkways in Veilstone. The plump Flareon was happy, and almost could care less what was going on around him. He passed people's feet, ignoring the ones who made rude comments about the fact that he was a trainerless Pokemon, calling him "spy" and other things.

He was elated, and the reason was on a cord around his neck. He had comforted a trainer who had lost a Pokemon trying to get to Veilstone, and in return, honoring his own Pokemon and Blazer's freedom, the trainer had given the Flareon a pendant the trainer had given his own Pokemon.

Blazer held his head high, waddling with an air of confidence, and almost didn't see the Nidoking in front of him. He walked right into the side of the Nidoking's leg, then noticed both him, the woman next to him, and the Seviper, as well as the gate and the person standing in it. The Flareon backed away just a bit with a quiet "Sorry."

Opal tried to hide her surprise, this was the first time that anyone actually cared, even if only out of curiosity, where she actually come from! "Okay, I'll tell. If only because you're less annoying than the last guys I found... and don't look even slightly tasty." As had become habit by now, she paced around aimlessly.

"Those humans brought me here, in the same way they had every other time; sticking me in a dark cage and doing who-knows-what to move it. For the same reason too, to keep tormenting and playing around with my life, and those of other Pokemon." She tried to recollect what happened next in the most understandable way possible, looking a lot calmer than before "Then all of a sudden everything got knocked over by these other pokemon and the scientists went crazy, killing most of the Pokemon I was taken with. Typical human stuff." There was a clear tone of disgust to the last part.

"But of course, they failed to kill me, the only one that was even a slight threat to them... I think you know what I'd done then." She gave a gleeful grin and licked her muzzle.

Angon and Ascator were floating above the wilds that stretched in between the Lost Tower and Solaceon, each with their own task in mind: Ascator was looking for something, anything that would make a good target for his thunder, while Angon was pondering the best way to explain this particular mission to the Drifblim.

Or rather, why he was going to take Ascator with him and leave the other four ghosts to the true mission. One of the first things he learned about Ascator during the rebellion was that the Drifblim's ego was just about doubly proportionate to how inflated his body was, and calling him things like "maniac," and "unhinged" were not good ideas.

"It is a rather simple, straightforward task," he said slowly, "Jiongu believes that the pokemon in that tundra north of us could tip the scales in our favor against the humans. To that end, he plans on taking his best flyers and fire-types up north, to help... convince the northerners that it's a good idea to join his cause." Ascator snorted, a weird, hollow sound. "And I assume your fearless leader sent you to me because he knew just how well I fit into the first category."

Angon paused, an idea taking shape in his twisted head. He knew an opportunity when he saw it, and this was one he was going to pounce on. "Yes, actually," he said nonchalantly, "Jiongu actually told me to go find you first. He said that the assistance of a flyer of your caliber would be quite helpful in his plans." That did it: "Did he now," the usual hostile edge was gone from Ascator's voice, "well, I'd hate to disappoint your glorious leader. When do we set out?"

If Angon was capable of smiling, he'd be doing just that. Yes, Ascator was violent, was destructive, and hated being called out on any of those things, but he was also an idiot. An idiot that was easy control when you knew what buttons to push. An idiot that would very likely have an unfortunate accident by the time the war was over.

Ironically, the Drifblim shared these traits with the Dragonite that he held in so much contempt.

The two ghosts were floating over Solaceon at this point, and that was when they both noticed something odd. Or rather, somethings. Two of them, in the middle of the abandoned settlement.

"Land on the nearest roof," Angon hissed, "something's not right here - nobody's ever in Solaceon." Complying, the Drifblim began to descend, until both of the ghosts were floating over what Angon suspected was the pokemon center. "Do we attack?" Angon shook his head. "We don't even know what they are, or what they're doing here. Let's wait and see what they're doing... but whatever it is, I don't think I like it."

He knew that Ascator didn't like this decision, but he didn't care. The sudden presence of anything in what he had dismissed as a ruin hadn't been factored into his plans at all. He needed to see what was going on before making a move.

For all he knew, either one of these two might know the specific location of that. If so, this entire scenario would become much, much more important than distracting an imbecilic Drifblim.
----
The Beheeyem was surprised by what he heard of the creature. Surprised, and actually impressed. "It's commendable that despite the horrors humans put you through, you do not directly side with the Dragonite's rebellion. I have met many pokemon since this war started that went through far less hardships, and yet they took the side of savagery. What cowards they were, to think they could solve whatever problems that they had by mass slaughter."

Of course, I am no better, am I... he thought, I, who choose to hide from the war, and in doing so... what?

Isei's train of thought was interrupted as he sensed new arrivals. Two of them, both of which all but oozed desires of violence and pain and death from their minds. Both of these new arrivals were currently positioned on a building that was behind the creature, but that was no indication of weather or not they could hear what it was he was saying. He would have to play things safe.

Do not turn around or in any other way give an extreme reaction to what I am saying, he telepathed to the creature, two beings that seek to cause pain - unknown against whom - are currently positioned behind you. From those thoughts I suspect they could attack either of us at the slightest provocation.

Senica doubted anything else was necessary, and he had offered up his Pokemon easily enough - nothing suspicious there. She waved away his suggestion of letting the Lucario out. "It's not necessary to see him, though if you want him to stretch his legs, feel free." She had seen Pokemon who didn't like being confined much - Arkios being one of them, though she wasn't sure if that was a serious dislike for the Pokeball or simply wanting to be out and causing vaguely creepy mayhem for everyone else. "You're cleared to enter. Try not to cause trouble - we have enough of it as it is."

"Don't bother asking her," Arkios put in, backing off a little as his trainer scowled at him. "She only remembers the people she treats."

"Stop bugging him," she ordered, and the Seviper hissed, pretending to sulk as he returned to twine around her once more. "But no, haven't seen anyone like that around." Senica shrugged. "He might be here, though - I just didn't spot him." Dhiren, for his part, had settled into a stony sort of silence, not bothering to really pay attention to Spencer. However, he did pay attention to the Flareon that bumped into him, instantly snapping back to full alert as he turned and glared down at the Fire-type. He had seen him around before, and wasn't all that suspicious of his motives. Tail twitching, he shifted out of the way a little.

"Did you wish to pass?" he asked, not sounding incredibly interested.

Opal wasn't quite as bewildered as she should have been at Isei's telepathy. She'd known a Xatu who'd do that a lot. Now that she thought about it, that Xatu was probably the only friend she'd had.

Still, the fact that something had arrived didn't worry her, in fact it got her excited! After everything that had been going on today, she could do with an excuse to kill something, and that wasn't just hunger speaking. She was practically drooling in anticipation!

It was only when Robert and co. were far enough from the gym that the Samurott turned to his trainer, a look of genuine concern on his face. "I do hope that you were only pretending to agree with Maylene so she would let us leave the gym in peace." Robert smiled, a rarity these days. "Don't worry Jack, I don't plan on going to Jubilife any time soon; definitely not when it's as overrun as we know it is. That being I'll admit Maylene had a point."

"A point on top of her head, perhaps," Supay cut in, "Come on you can't seriously have agreed with her at all during her little sob story!" Robert shrugged, "Well, I agree with her in that we're running out of supplies, and if things stay as they are, with the rebels focusing just on us, we're gonna die. So I think I'll be obeying the letter of her orders, but not the spirit." Supay regarded his trainer incredulously, eliciting another shrug "Look, it's simple: we're going to make our way to Jubilife, but we'll be.... 'sidetracked' once we reach Oreburgh, and the circumstances will 'force' us and whoever we have with us to pull back."

Supay, seeing where this was going, cackled. "I never pegged you as someone so... underhanded, Rob. I've taught you more than I thought." Jack, meanwhile, was far less amused. "And what will happen if, say, there are circumstances that actually do force us to retreat? And those circumstances involve one of us dying?"

The smile vanished from Robert's face. "It's either that or we stay here, wait for Maylunatic to find that we haven't left the city yet, and throw us out to the wilds out there," Supay chimed in, "but if you want to cut down on the number of mouths that need to be fed in that way, then go ahead, Jackie." The Samurott rounded on Supay, angry at first, but then that anger slowly turned into curiosity, and then worry. "Do truly think she would... actually do that to us?"

When Supay spoke next, it was deathly serious: "I think anyone nuts enough to think trying to take Jubilife is a good idea is nuts enough to throw someone out for refusing her 'orders.'"

"The committee would never-"

"Stop, both of you," Robert cut in, "whether or not we think taking Jubilife is a good idea is irrelevant; this way, we're just going to do something that will help the survivors without killing us. In any case," he gestured towards the gate that the three had arrived at - the very same gate that they'd departed from earlier that day, "let's just find some people capable enough to do what we have to do, so we can get the mission over with."
----
Angon at first did not recognize either of the pokemon in the square. For the one closer to the ghosts, it was because he had quite literally never seen a creature like it before in his lifetime, while the one further away was mostly on account of the former's body obstructing it. Then the unrecognizable creature began pacing, and through this Angon was able to discern what this other being looked like: an odd sort of humanoid with a rather large head and tri-colored dots on its pal-

Those dots... I know that pattern. The Elgyem at Celestial Tower had them along with that body shape, and since that's undoubtedly its evolution... oh, no.

"That one further away's a psychic," he hissed to Ascator, "meaning that it probably knows we're here by now."

"Then we attack." It was a statement, not a request. Angon weighed the options and likely outcome in his head, and then flicked his tendrils. "Yes, we attack. You take the psy-" That was as far as he got before Ascator shot up, gathered electricity among his four tails, and shot a bolt of lightning down towards the two.

In hindsight, I should have known that he would do that the moment I gave him the all-clear. Odds are he's been wanting to do that since we entered this settlement.

Blazer took another step back at the glare the Nidoking gave, then seemed a little less threatened at the uninterested, flat comment. The Flareon nodded a bit, and went to go by, passed the gate, then turned around after a moment and looked at the woman, the Nidoking, and the Seviper. His demeanor picked up again and he padded a bit closer again, staying out of the way of the person entering the city.

"You're the one who does the poison stuff, right? I've seen you around with that one," he said, pointing a front paw at Arkios. Blazer was sure that this woman was the one he'd seen, not many had Pokemon like that. It seemed humans prefered to not have Pokemon that could easily do something fatal usually, at least to him.

"Do you really like those two?" He directed at the woman as a second question. He just wondered if they weren't just for her work he'd seen.

------------

Peter gave another quick wave to Vienna, turning and patting Mac's shoulder, looking back at her. He smiled apotogetically and sighed. He then nodded a bit and shrugged.

"Sorry I couldn't help better, but I haven't been to involved here yet. You can try where I suggested, the guards or medical places," he said. "I have to get to what I was doing."

He turned completely around and walked a short distance with his Emboar only to walk up to someone who looked like an actual worker. There was a short discussion, and he turned back. He walked back to Vienna, and shrugged again. He kinda looked somewhere between guilty and a bit upset.

"Looks like the generator thing was fixed," he stated, and sighed. "So, why don't you come with me and we'll see if I can't help you find something to do." He walked past her and back toward the gate, where the woman with her poison-types still were, as well as someone who looked like they'd just come to the city for possibly the first time, and a Flareon close by. He stopped a short distance away, and turned to Mac.

"Hey, I'm going to bring out Dak, so you'll have to go back," he said to Mac. The Emboar nodded, then Peter pulled out a Pokeball and returned him in a quick flash, then pulled out a fairly old looking Pokeball and released the Pokemon inside. A fairly burly looking Swampert appeared from the flash, and stretched out. Peter patted his back and smiled at him. "Hey, Dak. Haven't had you out in a while, huh?"

The Swampert, Dak, nodded. "Too long, I'd say." The Swampert looked around suddenly. "It seems different here..." Peter sighed. "You've missed a lot," he stated somewhat flatly. He looked down, clearly not in the position to explain properly. He then took out another Pokeball and sent out what happened to be a Lucario. "Reiko, I thought I'd let you out too, since I haven't since before the league... you two both need to know what's going on... I'd rather someone else fill you in though..." With that, he led the two over to the group at the gate, and cleared his throat.

"I'd like to ask if one of you could fill in these two," Peter gestured to Dak and Reiko, and the Swampert and Lucario nodded to the group. "On the case here in Sinnoh... I'm not exactly able to do it myself. It's... difficult." He avoided saying something else at that point, and went silent, hoping someone would, politely, explain the story.

Last edited:
Due to the forewarning Opal was ready for an attack, if anything, she was actually thankful she was warned beforehand. Just before Ascator attacked she leapt up and hit against Isei with all the force she could muster. It wasn't enough to actually break the reflect, however the force was at least enough to push Isei away a bit.

Unfortunately she ended up taking the full force of the bolt. As much as she was trying to hide it, she was in a lot of pain right now!

Isei was, to say the least, surprised when one of the malicious creatures - a Drifblim, albeit off-color - floated up from the roof it had been hiding on and blasted lightning at him. He was surprised again when the strange creature tackled him with enough force to shove him back even with the protection of his barriers, and took the lightning attack herself. One look at the creature was all Isei needed to know about both its current state of health and the power of at least one of their enemies.

You didn't need to do that, he telepathed to the creature, I am capable of using Recover to heal any wounds. Focus on protecting yourse- he cut off the thought as another lightning bolt was fired his way; this one struck its intended target - the Beheeyem - but the Light Screen he had put up earlier protected him from the worst of the charge. Grunting when the bolt struck home, Isei's green dots pulsed softly as the Beheeyem floated in front of the creature, an indication that he was Recovering.

Stay behind me, he told the creature, unless you have some means of healing yourself, it's in your best interests to not engage. At that thought, the green and red dots began alternating flashes. Isei was focusing while his palms were doing so, focusing... and remaining calm, even when the scenario looked as bleak as it did. He would remain calm, and that serenity would give him strength. Such as it was whenever he used Calm Mind.
----
"Interesting," Angon observed as the events unfolded in the clearing, "...very interesting. Ascator!" The Drifblim turned around and descended back towards the Chandelure. "Whatever it is, make it quick, before either of them decide to escape and ruin my fun." Angon waved a tendril dismissively. "Yes, yes, you'll get your fun. Just be sure to focus on that Psychic - he seems to be based more towards heavy defenses and likely status protection, meaning that my preferred strategy won't be too effective against it."

Grunting an affirmative, Ascator shot back upwards, lightning gathering around his tails again. Angon, meanwhile, floated down to the ground, the flames on his tendrils flickering with what almost seemed like excitement. Excitement was a rather inaccurate description of how Angon felt, though - better term would be "anticipation," for he was looking forward to seeing what made this strange creature tick. She's already injured as it is, he thought while his ghostly form flickered, meaning I might not be able to play around as much as I normally could... oh well. Guess I'll have to make do with what I've got. Laughing, an echoing, sickening sound, the Chandelure flickered again as several illusory duplicates appeared on both sides of him.

Yes, this was certainly going to be fun.
----
Robert, Supay, and Jack had made their arrival at the gate just in time to see another trainer deploy his Swampert (who, from Robert's perspective, looked like he hadn't seen much action in some time) and a Lucario. The trainer in question proceeded to ask the other two at the gate to explain to his pokemon about the current... goings-on in the region.

"How out of the loop can you get," Supay chuckled, "at least you, Robert, had the stones to tell all of us what was going on the first chance you got," this earned him another glare from Jack, but he either didn't notice or pretended not to notice, "although I suppose if he hasn't battled with those pokemon since the war started... well even then, you'd think he'd let them out every now and again; give them some fresh air."

Robert sighed for what felt like the hundredth time that day. Supay's antics were slightly amusing at best and frustrating at worst, and at the current moment he was edging slowly but surely into "frustrating" territory. The worst part of this all was that the trainers of the gate were likely not going to think well of a trainer whose Cofagrigus wouldn't shut his trap even when it was in both his and his trainer's best interests that he do so. That on its own would make his plans a little more... difficult.

Of the instigators who caused the mysterious commotion, there was no trace. Perhaps that was not such a bad thing since, after all, it meant that "all was well" as much as it ever could be. Regardless... finding nothing made the trip feel pointless. Even if scouting on short notice was something that still had to be done.

"Do you suppose they just ran away home?" Yulla offered as a possible explanation, beginning to slow down now that the bubble of distorted space surrounding them was shrinking. Benuveli couldn't keep it up any longer - but it didn't matter now that they were heading back to the comparative safety of the gateway. As the blue tinted light returned to normal, the swirling shapes shrinking and folding in on themselves, Yulla reached out and parted the branches of a tree, giving Malcolm a clear line of sight back to the gateway. There were people there... another new arrival? And of course, that medic Senica was still lurking around.

For a moment, he felt tempted to have Yulla remain where she was. But staying outside because of something so trivial as dislike wasn't a realistic option as far as survival was concerned. Reluctantly he egged Yulla forwards, and she emerged from the shrubbery with a squishy green companion following behind her. Malcolm remained where he was sitting on her shoulders, but wrapped his scarf around the lower half of his face once more. The heat be damned - at least the sunny weather would be wearing off soon!

Approaching the gate in silence, Malcolm spared the newcomer a quick glance, if only for an excuse to avoid making eye contact with the irate member of medical staff. He couldn't quite catch the conversation, but it seemed Senica's serpentine consort was still doing his best to unnerve all those around him. Dismounting his Abomasnow ride, he returned Yulla to her pokeball and reached the gate with only Benuveli in tow. Just in time for the other trainer from before - the man with the Volcarona - to return from whatever business had been occupying him. Curiously, he raised an eyebrow. Since when had the gate become such a popular spot?

"All clear." he drawled, voice slightly muffled. "Benuveli even did a mental sweep of the area and turned up nothing." Folding his arms, he turned towards his Pokemon and nodded approvingly, although the Reuniclus returned it only barely. His eyes shifting around, as if he was still concerned by something.

Regardless, his job was done. Overtime included - he intended to take a break. Somewhere away from condescending nurses, fire-type trainers and scruffy-looking stragglers!

"Yeah, didn't think so..." Spencer said, placing the ball back in his pocket. "Well, if a guy like that shows up and reaches for your pants as soon as give you the date, it'd be nice if you let him know I'm here." He only spared a passing glance at the Flareon, and started to pass by, only to stop just a few steps past and turn around again.

"I don't suppose you could tell me where I can eat and sleep around? Unless it happens that there's a functioning hotel with such things for free." He figured there had to someplace. Unless they just had everybody sleep wherever they could find. The Raichu had mentioned a storeroom, but the directions had slipped his mind, already. Maybe Senica could provide at the very least a place with an extra blanket.

The Flareon seemed to be as fond of making comments as any human, and she rolled her eyes as Dhiren grunted in rather callous amusement. "Yes, I do the poison stuff. No, I let them out for no reason except to have Arkios' bad humour inflicted on me..." she began, voice dripping with sarcasm.

"It's not bad!" he protested, tightening his grip on her once again in what might have been considered a rudimentary embrace. She was long since used to it, and knew he wouldn't dare use enough force to actually harm her. Also, having a massive poisonous snake draped and coiled around her tended to make her look rather intimidating, so it wasn't as if she minded. "Otherwise you wouldn't let me out except for my fangs..."

"They're my team. Of course I like them. I just wish there was some more water around so I could release my third... She dries out quickly otherwise." She raised an eyebrow. "Any reason you're asking something like that?" The congregation was growing, though -that guy who had been here earlier with all those Unovan Pokemon was on his way back, and the one who had been sent to fix the generators, now with a Swampert and Lucario in tow. She wouldn't have cared much - other than to demand they take her and scarf-boy's place as guards if they had the time to wander around - but...

"What, you can't grow enough of a spine to tell them that everything is currently doing its best to go to hell?" she asked, glaring. "It's not my job to tell anyone the obvious."

Dhiren lashed his tail dismissively. "Stupid, he rumbled - either meaning the request or the one asking it. Arkios, sensing an opportunity to pile on a bandwagon that would lead to either frustration or humiliation, hissed his agreement.

"It's your team, you're their trainer - you should trust them enough not to tiptoe around the issue. If you're worth anything as a trainer, at least." The big coffin thing - she still didn't know the name of that species, or most of them to be honest - was verging on Arkios' territory of mouthiness, and she opted to ignore it in favour of one long withering stare at her current target.

"I don't see why it's a big deal at all~" Arkios chimed in. "I mean, it didn't make any difference at all to us when the other Pokemon decided to attack. It just means they're all wrong, or stupid, or both." He paused and then declared, "The snow's melting! You can let her out soon!" Even his tone changed, from rather sly and dismissive to practically exuberant. One of the odd things about Arkios was that he was genuinely that fond of her and the others - the only reason he decided to lavish affection and attention on everyone else was merely for reactions.

"I will," she promised, standing still as he uncoiled and shifted a little so she could easily reach all three Pokeballs. Malcolm - since he had reported quickly and wasn't doing anything stupid at the moment - just got a nod of acknowledgement, and the Unovan trainer received another raised eyebrow. "I don't suppose anyone else is going to take guard duty? I'm technically not supposed to be tasked with it, and he was guarding this whole time and his replacement has appeared to have vanished - unless one of you are it?" And lastly, a throwaway remark to Spencer. "Try the Pokemon Centre for somewhere to sleep and eat, but try to talk to Maylene at some point, get yourself worked out with something more permanent."

And there - all her duties complete.

Peter gave a bit of a glare to Senica, then glanced at Arkios as the Seviper hissed out the biggest part of the story. Both of his Pokemon turned and looked at him, Dak with a bit of confusion, Reiko with something between curiousity and acceptance. Reiko spoke first, calmly stating what Peter knew they would want to know, and from him.

"What has happened? The woman is right, it's your job to tell us. I think no less of you, but you must stand and speak nonetheless," the Lucario said. "It will hurt you as much as us to learn the hard way." Reiko crossed his arms and looked at Peter, and Dak gave a sharp nod from the other side. The Swampert was clearly worried after the Seviper's comment.

"Alright, I'll tell you. Not long after I completed the League here, Pokemon attacks started. It was said a "mysterious creature" was ordering wild Pokemon to rise against humans and their partners; in other words, trainers and their Pokemon. Like you and me. But they also struck down innocents too. They took over most of the region... I didn't use your help because..." Peter sighed. "I needed the home field advantage without type weaknesses to Pokemon in the area while I made my way to Veilstone. I was lucky to avoid combat... but I had to be safe." He looked between the two, who simply nodded, and then Dak commented, "You could have at least told us sooner instead of waiting until after all of it..."

"I know, I know." Peter ended. He sighed again. After a moment of silence, the Flareon who was now at his feet piped up. "Well, um, after all the sad depressing 'story of the world' stuff, um... maybe you could find something more cheerful? You're making ME sad. And that's not easy!" Blazer had tears in his big eyes, and Peter looked down and smiled a bit. "Yeah, I guess I could. Sorry."

He then looked back at Senica. "About guard duty... I guess I could cover if a replacement doesn't show soon. Reiko here can help me keep an eye out for anything suspicious." The Lucario named simply nodded. "And Dak can be some force if necessary, too. I might as well have them do some stuff, seeing as I haven't for a while... and I do feel bad about that. Stress from all this has gotten too me."

Blazer chimed as he got up from in front of Peter's feet and went to walk off, "Cheer up, it's not like there's no hope yet, at least I don't think so!" The Flareon then looked back at Senica and added, "I was just wondering! I've seen you around is all." And then padded off. Peter turned and watched him go. "Huh, cheery little guy. Bit too well treated, too." He chuckled, and then led Reiko and Dak over by the gate. "You can go do whatever, I'll take over, miss...?"

Opal sneered at the Chandlure, abusing the same tactics as she liked to. Still, she didn't feel like getting hurt anymore so she ducked behind the Beheeyem's dual shields.

Still, she wasn't planning to stand there uselessly, a yellow aura surrounding her tail, she aimed the point to the Chandlure in the middle and let loose a thunderbolt. If this was anything like her double teams, the middle was always the real one. She wasn't really hoping to deter it too much, but to force it to move away even slightly... then she could bring the real pain...

Robert was, to say the least, relieved that Supay's antics only drew a few weird stares from the other trainers at the gate. Compared to what he usually got from the Cofagrigus' remarks, a few stares was not in any way bad. Having learned about what state the region was in, a few of the trainers announced their intentions to depart from the gate and take care of... other matters. Ones that would likely be of no help to Robert and his current assignment.

And clearly, Jack was thinking the same thing. "Actually, my trainer has been given an important assignment," he said, stepping forward, "one that the assignee said required the assistance of several highly skilled trainers. If you consider yourself done with guard duty, perhaps you should accompany him on the task at hand." Having said that much, the Samurott stepped back, taking his usual position at his trainer's side. Robert wondered how many would actually go out of their way to help him - especially considering that his only other impression on the group hadn't been that inspiring - but he had to hope that enough would accompany him to make his mission go off... decently. At the very least, that medic, he thought, considering that my team lacks a good healer of any kind, she would likely provide the most help...
----
Isei felt a cautious hope as he saw another bolt of lightning - this one clearly from his current ally - careen right into one of the Chandelures. That hope lasted for all of two seconds as the middle Chandelure burst into fragments of light.

"Too bad, you were wrong," all of the Chandelures said, laughing, "Now you have to pay the penalty." At this, the ghosts began to fan out, circling the two of them... just out of range of where the creature would likely be able to hit them with a slash. "Now finding the real me is going to be much more difficult, and if you guess wrong again, I get to attack."

Isei would have liked to use his Psychic abilities to find out which one was the real one, but his attention at the moment was focused on catching the lightning fired by the Drifblim and ensuring it wouldn't be lethal to either himself or his ally. The balloon-like ghost had fired bolt after bolt while Isei was focusing with Calm Mind twice now, and the result was something of a stalemate - Isei couldn't hit the Drifblim at that range, and the Drifblim's lightning bolts weren't causing any major damage.

Isei didn't think it would last, however. He could narrow the possible outcome down to two events: either the Drifblim would disengage, allowing Isei to focus on learning which Chandelure was not an illusion. If that didn't happen, Isei would maximize the benefits of Calm Mind, and then would find out which Chandelure was real and act accordingly. Either way, as things were progressing, Isei would win.

Clearly, the Drifblim was going for the former option, as it had suddenly stopped firing off lightning. Isei, sighing in relief, focused on the ring of ghosts surrounding them-

Only to be blasted to the ground by a condensed burst of pure heat. The Beheeyem looked up just in time to see the Drifblim charging up a glowing orange ball, and it was only then that he realized that the sun over Solaceon was very, very bright.

Isei was indeed surprised; he hadn't factored in the possibility of the Drifblim finding a third means of attack. Clearly, this opponent was cleverer than his initial strategy had indicated.

For the time being, it seemed that his worries about Senica had been unfounded. Catching only the tail end of the conversation... as far as he could make out, there was some lacking in communications going on? He listened to both trainers speak with only vague interest, while behind him Benuveli was practically hanging on their every word, his gaze moving between Senica and Peter as they spoke.

A human that had kept his own Pokemon in the dark about events willingly, and one who treated them abrasively, but admitted to liking them all the same. The psychic's face became a frown, his mind struggling to understand the mixed signals he was receiving. A nagging guilt gnawing away in the back of his mind, he wondered if perhaps he was wrong to lie about sensing any Pokemon in the area outside the shield... had Malcolm found them, there would probably have been fighting. But since he hadn't revealed their presence, would they come back later to start up more trouble themselves?

All around him... people were choosing sides.

Trying to play the mediator, he drifted forwards, tapping Malcolm on the shoulder with one podgy arm. "Could we stay a little bit longer?" he asked, taking his trainer somewhat by surprise. "I could help explain what's been happening. I can, and I'd like to do so." Letting his determination show in his voice, a rare display, Malcolm seemed to relent. At least his trainer was nice enough like that... even if he must have abandoned one of his Pokemon as well, in order to have traded him over.

His trainer's attention seemed to be elsewhere right now, anyway. He probably wouldn't be going anywhere. A Pokemon he recognised as a Samurott from his home region was talking about how his trainer had some kind of important assignment. Although most of Malcolm's face was now hidden as usual, he could sense a faint emanation of intruige.

"An important mission... outside the dome?" his eyebrow was raising, and underneath that scarf, his mouth was probably stretched into a thin line. Yes, he was definitely interested. Probably more out of concern than anything else. To leave the safety of the dome was not an easy undertaking for any human... even short periods like just earlier were risky. "The activity outside is pretty minimal at the moment. I wouldn't delay, if you're really thinking of going."

Peter looked over at the Samurott, his trainer, and the coffin-like Pokemon on his other side, and pondered. An important mission? Outside Veilstone, where things were getting worse all the time? He was halfway between worried and intrigued. Then he realized there wasn't another guard to cover the gate if they all left.

"This whole important mission outside Veilstone sounds really interesting... but whoever's actually supposed to take the next position as guard doesn't seem to have show up, and if we were all to leave, the gate would be unguarded...." He stopped for a moment. He wanted to get some action and possibly be able to explain more for Dak and Reiko. He sighed, and looked at the others.

"I'd say I'm in. I bet that someone would see no one at the gate and make sure someone covered it as soon as possible. Plus, sitting here isn't going to get these guys involved again," he said, gesturing at Dak and Reiko. The Swampert and Lucario nodded. "I want to get out there again, too... I'd rather do something then sit waiting for the inevitable."

----------

Arilan continued to spy on the Fortress, wondering what the great leader of the Rebellion could be planning. Maybe he'd even see this Jiongu he'd heard about after getting to Hearthome. He was sure that if this guy was a good leader, he'd at least meet his followers and not just sit around inside his fortress all day. He decided to wait a little longer, and then possibly go inside. He had to know what was going on, as long as he didn't get himself killed in the process, or something. The process of eradicating the humans was one the things he was most intrigued on how far it was getting, and he couldn't wait to see when the final strike would be.

Opal slumped to the ground in despair, she really couldn't keep this going, especially in her starved state. It was hopeless to try and fight back now... the only solution she could think of was...

"You two guys, you're part of the rebellion... aren't you?" She groaned, really hoping her idea would work.

Back
Top Bottom