• Welcome to The Cave of Dragonflies forums, where the smallest bugs live alongside the strongest dragons.

Guests are not able to post messages or even read certain areas of the forums. Now, that's boring, don't you think? Registration, on the other hand, is simple, completely free of charge, and does not require you to give out any personal information at all. As soon as you register, you can take part in some of the happy fun things at the forums such as posting messages, voting in polls, sending private messages to people and being told that this is where we drink tea and eat cod.

Of course I'm not forcing you to do anything if you don't want to, but seriously, what have you got to lose? Five seconds of your life?

Bred to Death - British Kennel Club

Espeon

Mmhm...
Whilst I was on holiday in Devon, the BBC broadcasted a programme which I found, possible along with many others, was a very touching topic. The show-dogs, after years of breeding for "perfection", pedigree dogs are now so prone to various genetic diseases and faults that they're having to be put down frequently at an early age. Who can we blame? Only the Great British Kennel Club and those who follow its breed specifications to get the "perfect" dog.

What are the hazards?
Take, for example, a popular showbreed; the Cavalier King Charles Spaniel. One of the main genetic faults that now haunts this breed of dog is a condition called "Syringomyelia" which is caused by abnormalities in the skull. The skull is too small to support the size of the brain. As they described on the programme, it is like trying to put a size 10 foot, the brain, into a size 6 shoe, the skull. Depending on the severity of the condition, it can cause slight irritation, sometimes not even physically paining the dog. However, it can also cause such great pain for the dog, that if you were to get a stick and beat the dog so that it felt the same ammount of pain, you would be imprisioned for a long time. Sometimes, the condition is so severe that it can ever cause the dog partial paralysis.

Another well known breed is the Bulldog. The modern Bulldog's face is so flat now, that it has difficulties breathing. Its modern bodily shape means that it can't breed without aid, and it can't give birth without aid. Aeroplanes refuse to fly Bulldogs as their breathing is so poor. It poses too great a risk to the Bulldog's health.

bulldog1860.jpg

This is a Bulldog from the 1860's. It evidently had a snout. 140 years of breeding has caused its skull to undergo considerable and dangerous changes by itself.

Bulldogs and Cavaliers are now hazards to themselves due to their own genes. Essentially, they are their own worst enemy.

So, why is this caused? The British Kennel Club has breed specifications for dog shows. One breed, the Ridgeback's, says something along these lines:
"Puppies without a ridge shall be culled." It has been proven that the ridges are actually a genetic fault, and they SHOULDN'T have ridges atall. In fact, the dogs without ridges are healthier as they aren't afected by a condition which sometimes affects the ridged dogs.

These breed specifications allow people to inbreed their dogs to get desirable qualities. Brother-Sister, Mother-Son and Grandfather-Granddaughter are all allowed within the Kennel Club. Inbreeding is where these genetic faults have all come from. The Pug is now so inbred that within the UK, there are only around 50 sets of individual sets of genes.

The Kennel Club needs to start screening dogs for diseases and stop having this idea of the "perfect dog", in my opinion. It's wrong to allow inbreeding as a start. Person to person inbreeding isn't allowed, so why should dog to dog inbreeding be? The Kennel Club needs to stop breeders from breeding dogs that are affected, and will cause their children to be infected with their genetic traits, and should keep a list of all of these dogs with genetic faults, and whether the gene is recessive or dominant.

What do you think?

I listened to that on the radio, too X3

I don't like the Kennel Club at all. I think that an animal's health should be the most important thing to anyone who likes animals, and breeding them dangerously so they become aesthetically pleasing to humans is just wrong.

And killing pups because they don't have the desired features is pretty sick by anyone's standards.

Oh...if my brother read that, he would probably murder someone. He's an avid dog lover.

But that does sound horrible. As Danni said, health should be the number one priority of any animal lover. This is more like a childish competition. "My sand castle has more seashells" "My dog has a flat face."

Yeah, the Kennel Club annoys me. I felt sorry for that one woman, her name I forget, who was at the show going around informing the owners about that syringomyelia. I really hated it when some of the breeders went: "You have some nerve showing your face around here." like some snooty lord or lady. I mean, the people of the programme were trying to raise awareness of this disease.

Also, what is so attractive about a dog having a flat face? Pugs get swolen eyes as whenever they bump their nose, they bump their eyes too.

I have one thing to say
"NEDM"

It might not be that relevant, but it has to do with Anti-Animal abuse. PETA will be pissed when they find out about what the BKC is doing.

Not absolutely sure, but it's pretty likely to be the same in most kennel clubs. :/

Ugh, that's just sick and wrong....
The health of animals is just as important as the health of other people.

That's terrible.

The things we do just to have dogs that look nice. If it affects the dogs breathing, this means less time we get to enjoy our perfect dogs.

As far as I know, the Swedish Kennel Club don't allow inbreeding. Or something like that.

Either way, this does need to be stopped. It's a serious problem that is affecting our modern society. If nothing is done, it could result in a lot of modern breeding being wiped out.

This isn't much of a debate, is it? XD

That said, it's sick. Oh yes, let's breed pretty dogs so they can die in a few years, but by that time, there'll be more pretty dogs to display! >> Pardon me while I look for something to bit - Er, I mean strangle. Of course, strangle. *looks around and gets a file to sharpen teeth*

That's...wrong. I'm not too fond of breeding animal to get "prettier" ones anyway. When you have a pet, your love for it should matter more than its looks.

Plus, inbreeding is pretty sick.

I don't agree with this either. People shouldn't be breeding dogs just so they'll look pretty... the dog's health should be the #1 consideration.

I find this appalling. The dogs should not be considerable pain for their entire lives just so they'll look "pretty".

Come on guys we have to put our animals in pain because THEY LOOK PRETTY (I find a dog with a snout that can breath pretty btw)

I seriously feel bad for these dogs though. :(

Back
Top Bottom