• Welcome to The Cave of Dragonflies forums, where the smallest bugs live alongside the strongest dragons.

Guests are not able to post messages or even read certain areas of the forums. Now, that's boring, don't you think? Registration, on the other hand, is simple, completely free of charge, and does not require you to give out any personal information at all. As soon as you register, you can take part in some of the happy fun things at the forums such as posting messages, voting in polls, sending private messages to people and being told that this is where we drink tea and eat cod.

Of course I'm not forcing you to do anything if you don't want to, but seriously, what have you got to lose? Five seconds of your life?

Brock vs Metallica Fanboy (Ref: Negrek)

Negrek

busy dizzy lazy
Staff member
Metallica Fanboy said:
View Post
Suddenly I felt like making this arena.

3vs3 Singles (willing to make it 2vs2)
Style: Set
DQ: 7 days
Damage Cap: 50%
Banned Moves: OHKOs, moves that require water bodies
Arena: A City Ablaze

The firefighting brigade has officially claimed that the fires were beyond their control. An immediate evacuation was ordered. However, as most citizens hastily packed their belongings, three outsiders insisted to stay upon a balcony, even if the blaze approached them. Two had a fierce resolve to stage a battle; one had qualification to be a referee and a newfound fondness of heat. By the fifth round of the battle, the building upon which the balcony is based will start burning; at this point, if both trainers agree to it, they may choose to make no commands for one round, using it to flee and find a safer place to keep the battle going. If they refuse to leave until Round 7, they will reach the point in which they will be forced to run. From there on, the referee may introduce similar situations whenever he/she/it wishes (If they wish to introduce none, they are perfectly allowed to, of course).

Other: Pokémon that need a body of water to stay on cannot be used.
Metallica Fanboy's Squad said:
[Dextrous] aerodactyl (M) <Pressure>

[Megatherium] vigoroth (M)

[Super Macho Man] machop (M) <No Guard>

[Headbanger] cranidos (M)

[Battery] elekid (F)

[Kong] mankey (M) <Vital Spirit>

Bagon (M)
[Spearhead] heracross (M) <Guts>
Brock said:
[Neroy] baltoy (X)

[Cainus] growlithe (M) <Flash Fire>

[DiamondBack] seviper (M)

[Ferno] charmander (M)

I excluded Metallica Fanboy's carvanha for obvious reasons.

1. Metallica Fanboy sends out
2. Brock sends out and attacks
3. Metallica Fanboy attacks

Thanks for reffing this Negrek. And picking it up so fast. but I also hate you you picked this up before I could put my Slakoth in my profile!!!! I will kill you!!! DX Shame I don't get to use Sleezy...

Go DiamondBack.

Ok DiaB. Start off by showing gratitude towards the ref for doing our first battle.

Second, lead off with Toxic to poison him. Then follow up with a Glare. If Toxic didn't work for whatever reason, try it again. Then stop the statusing and use a Thief if the opponet has an item, Facade if you have a status problem, or Sludge Bomb if niether condition is met.

Toxic ~ Glare/Toxic ~ Thief/Facade/Sludge Bomb

Seems we're up against somebody who is fond of statusing.

Well, for the time being, we can't do much about it. Start with Focus Energy. Then, I take it that all these status have to be very annoying, enough for a full-on venting session.

Focus Energy ~ Frustration ~ Frustration

The air is filled with the wail of distant sirens and the thrum of helicopter blades as, somewhere a few blocks down, desperate attempts to put out the blaze and rescue civilians are underway. Choking smoke is rapidly blocking out the sky, through which innumerable pokémon dart, joining the swarm of helicopters in carrying people to safety.

For the moment, the fire is still several buildings over, but already Metallica Fanboy can feel its heat from where he stands on a balcony overlooking the street. He watches the dancing flames calmly, seeming completely unconcerned that the wind is blowing them in his direction. At the rate the blaze is progressing, it won't be long before it reaches the building where he's standing, but for the moment he seems content to stand around at ease.

It isn't until a second trainer steps out onto the balcony that Metallica Fanboy shows some sign of life, turning around to find Brock stepping onto the balcony behind him. With a smirk, Metallica Fanboy pulls a pokéball from his belt. Brock hardly seems surprised, picking out a pokéball of his own and holding it at the ready. For a few seconds the two remain posed as they are, teetering on the brink of battle... but when nothing happens, they lower their pokéballs and look around in mild confusion, as though they had been expecting some sort of sign.

A few seconds later, a dark shape swoops down out of the sky, the beating of stony wings threatening to blow the trainers up against the wall of the building. The railing surrounding the balcony creaks ominously as it takes the weight of the aerodactyl and its rider, but neither of them appear to notice. "All right, all right, you can start already," the trainer on its back says somewhat grumpily, glancing around for a place to alight from her pokémon but appearing to decide against getting off in the end.

Now the pokéballs are thrown down and the pokémon within released; Diamondback the seviper and his opponent, a bagon, take shape and an almost instant dislike for one another. Diamondback flicks his tongue out, tasting the smoke on the air and the scent of his dragon-type foe, then turns and gives the referee a brief nod of acknowledgement. Bagon is a bit insulted by Diamondback's apparent lack of apprehension in the face of his opponent, but the dragon type simply sneers for the moment. The poison type is in for a nasty surprise if he underestimates Bagon.

Round One

Metallica Fanboy (OOO)
bagon
Bagon (M) <Rock Head>
Health: 100%
Energy: 100%
Commands: Focus Energy ~ Frustration ~ Frustration
- Raring to fight.

Brock (OOO)
seviper
Diamondback (M) <Shed Skin>
Health: 100%
Energy: 100%
Commands: Toxic ~ Glare/Toxic ~ Thief/Facade/Sludge Bomb
- Totally confident.

Bagon clenches his paws and grits his teeth, getting himself pumped up and ready to fight. Diamondback's first attack is rather more direct. The seviper darts forward, jaws agape, and seizes Bagon's arm. Bagon roars and shakes the snake free--but not before Diamondback's sunk two small holes through his tough skin and injected powerful toxins into his bloodstream.

A terrible burning sensation travels through Bagon's body as the poison spreads. There's something already coursing through Bagon's veins, though, and that's pure fighting spirit. With a roar of outrage, Bagon lashes out at Diamondback as the snake withdraws, seizing him by one of his protruding fangs and using it as a handle as he proceeds to smash the seviper's face repeatedly into the floor. The single-minded beating continues until the seviper's tooth actually breaks off in Bagon's paw, leaving only a bleeding stump behind. Bagon tosses the tip casually away while Diamondback howls in pain and thrashes about on the floor, the scales on his face cracked and bloody.

The seviper recovers swiftly enough, however. He'll have his revenge on the runt, and sooner than Bagon expects. Regaining his composure, Diamondback rears up, looming over Bagon and locking eyes with his opponent. Even the bagon's battle focus can't protect him from the insidious power of Diamondback's gaze. Bagon finds his burning desire to win fading in the face of the seviper's suddenly yellow-glowing eyes. The primal panic that any small creature would feel when fixed with that predatory stare bubbles up in Bagon's body, but he finds himself rooted to the spot, his muscles completely unresponsive to every command. Even as Diamondback subsides, his eyes returning to their usual red, Bagon is left stiff and sluggish, much to his dismay.

Bagon's paralysis gives Diamondback ample time to work up another attack. The seviper has no trouble drawing up a thick clot of virulent toxins and wrapping them in a thin skin of congealed gunk. He spits this at Bagon, and it strikes the dragon with explosive force, knocking him onto his back in a shower of goop. Though painful, the sludge bomb has the unexpected benefit of shocking Bagon back into his usual mobility, at least for the moment. He pushes himself back to his feet with a growl, then leaps at Diamondback in a blind rage. This time he isn't able to get as damaging a hold on his opponents, but his wrath is still a thing to behold as he attacks every part of the seviper he can reach, pummeling with fists and feet and even snapping with vicious little teeth when given the opportunity.

Metallica Fanboy (OOO)
bagon
Bagon (M) <Rock Head>
Health: 82%
Energy: 82%
- Starting to feel rather ill and sluggish. Focused. Badly poisoned (4% next round). Paralyzed (severe).

Brock (OOO)
seviper
Health: 63%
Energy: 88%
Commands: Toxic ~ Glare ~ Sludge Bomb
- Pretty roughed up already. Right fang snapped off near the base.

Terrain Notes
The sounds of fire and hurried evacuation are drawing nearer, but they are little nusiance yet. Evacuation begins in four rounds.

Final Notes
- Bagon's first facade was a critical hit.
- Metallica Fanboy attacks first next round.

Time for some simple dump offensive movements. Zen Headbutt all the way. If paralysis acts up, though, Chill instead; do it in case of Protect as well. If Diamondback's evasion rises or your accuracy falls, use Aerial Ace. Revert to Zen Headbutt if Aerial Ace negates the evasion/accuracy changes while there are still actions remaining.

Zen Headbutt/Chill/Aerial Ace ~ Zen Headbutt/Chill/Aerial Ace ~ Zen Headbutt/Chill/Aerial Ace

Ouch. Missing a fang. Bad start. Okay. Start with a Taunt. Follow up with Swagger. Than use Frustration because getting hurt sounds infuriating doesn't it? If at any time you health goes below 50%, use Rest and than some Sleep Talks.

Taunt/Rest ~ Swagger/Rest/Sleep Talk ~ Frustration/Rest/Sleep Talk

IMPORTANT ABSENCE NOTE: Since Final Exams are next week, I might not be on much/at all. Please do not DQ me.

Last edited:
Round Two

Metallica Fanboy (OOO)
bagon
Bagon (M) <Rock Head>
Energy: 82%
- Starting to feel rather ill and sluggish. Focused. Badly poisoned (4% next round). Paralyzed (severe).

Brock (OOO)
seviper
Energy: 88%
Commands: Toxic ~ Glare ~ Sludge Bomb
- Pretty roughed up already. Right fang snapped off near the base.

Diamondback finally manages to pry the infuriated bagon off his tail and slip away, panting and aching all over. At least his earlier glare is starting to pay off, as all Bagon's attempts at pursuit end in awkward muscle problems and subsequent nosedives, but there's no telling how long that will last. After having a first-row seat to witness the little dragon's dangerous temper last round, Diamondback hardly feels comfortable provoking Bagon further. For a few seconds he just watches as Bagon tries to get back to his feet for the umpteenth time, tongue whipping out now and again to taste the soot-laden air, but then decides that there's nothing to do but get it over with.

His mind made up, Diamondback does his very best with the taunt, getting as close in to Bagon's face as he deems wise and lays it on thick. Hey, you ugly little monster, think you're rough stuff, huh? Well after all that effort, which one of us is lying there flailing around like a baby? Sure isn't me--I'm feeling great! You're nothing but a weak little runt, not a proper dragon at all. Can't even fly, can you? Hey, here's a great idea: you ought to take a nosedive off the balcony and just see if you get your wings today, little hotshot!

The seviper's jibes seem little more than annoying background noise to Bagon as he tirelessly fights the uphill battle against his paralysis. Goal in mind, he is resolved not to let anything draw his attention away from the battle. As Diamondback goes on and on, though, the seviper does manage to open a few cracks in Bagon's mental armor; Bagon's frustration at being defeated by his paralyzed muscles doesn't help matters, either, lending Diamondback's taunts a bit more weight than they otherwise would have. He's not angry at the seviper, as such, but he's certainly not going to take his taunts lying down.

So it is that Bagon continues to do his best to right himself and Diamondback, reassured by his opponents continued immobility and starting to really get into the act, simply turns up the heat. It's too bad you're as ugly as you are stupid, the seviper continues conversationally, staying just outside the struggling bagon's reach. Not like me, of course. Broken fang? No problem, just gives me a kind of rogueish charm, wouldn't you agree? Of course, I'll have to come up with a better story about how I lost it than just "I was fighting some bagon with anger issues", but I'm sure I'll be able to come up with something.

The constant aggravation is enough to shatter Bagon's focus at last; a blind rage grips him, and he throws himself all the more desperately against his uncooperative muscles. And then, by some miracle, his paralysis dissipates; he lunges for Diamondback's sneering face, ready to take out the snake's other tooth if that's what's necessary to shut him up--and then crashes spectacularly into one of the bars supporting the balcony's railing.

With Bagon now well and truly immobilized, Diamondback can at his leisure get his revenge. He's still in pain from the bagon's angry attacks, and certainly his broken tooth stings like no other, but in truth he's feeling more amused at Bagon's total failure than anything at the moment. The seviper whips his tail around and lazily swats the side of Bagon's head with its blade, smashing the dragon back into the metal.

Bagon recovers and turns back to Diamondback, eyes blazing with fury, but once again his attack is clumsy and the seviper easily evades, breaking out into more laughter as the dragon trips and falls hard, smashing his already bleeding snout once again.

Metallica Fanboy (OOO)
bagon
Bagon (M) <Rock Head>
Energy: 79%
Commands: Paralyzed ~ Confused ~ Confused
- Consuned by rage. Badly poisoned (5% next round). Paralyzed (severe). Confused (mild). +1 Attack

Brock (OOO)
seviper
Energy: 75%
Commands: Taunt ~ Swagger ~ Frustration
- More than a little smug. Right fang snapped off near the base.

Terrain Notes
The air is dark and gritty with soot, and an insistent siren has started up somewhere nearby. Evacuation begins in three rounds.

Final Notes
- Bagon's focus greatly reduced the effectiveness of taunt and also helped to shield him from the worst of swagger's effects. The swagger destroyed the last of his focus, however, and he managed to hurt himself in confusion twice anyway.
- Diamondback was honestly feeling pretty good at the end of this round, so his frustration wasn't at max power, though it was still pretty strong.
- Brock attacks first next round.

Okay Diamond back. You're doing pretty good. But just to be safe, stockpile for later. The Squeeze the life out of him. Follow it up with Double Team. I know you hate to play it this way but remember, Defense is a great Offense. If at any time you get Taunted, on the first turn of the Taunt, wait for him to go and use Payback, then if you have any turns after that, Earthquake and Iron Tail. If you are asleep on the First turn only, use Sleep Talk.

Stockpile 20%/Payback/Sleep Talk ~ Wring Out/Payback/Earthquake ~ Double Team (Max you can make, but not over 5)/Payback/Earthquake/Iron Tail

ffff why rng why

Well, the plan was to Rest off all these statuses, but Wring Out poses a threat on that matter, so, Taunt and let that Payback come. Then, wait for the Earthquake, and try to Rest. If that doesn't work, try again; Sleep Talk if it does work.

If Taunt fails, bring on the headbanging, then Rest afterwards.

Taunt ~ Rest/Zen Headbutt ~ Rest/Sleep Talk

Round Three

Metallica Fanboy (OOO)
bagon
Bagon (M) <Rock Head>
Health: 64%
Energy: 79%
Commands: Taunt ~ Rest/Zen Headbutt ~ Rest/Sleep Talk
- Consumed by rage. Badly poisoned (5% next round). Paralyzed (severe). Confused (mild). +1 Attack

Brock (OOO)
seviper
Energy: 75%
Commands: Stockpile 20%/Payback/Sleep Talk ~ Wring Out/Payback/Earthquake ~ Double Team (Max you can make, but not over 5)/Payback/Earthquake/Iron Tail
- More than a little smug. Right fang snapped off near the base.

Bagon picks himself up off the ground, swaying woozily and snorting a bit of blood out of his nostrils. He's vaguely aware of his command--taunt, wasn't it?--but as he has no idea how his trainer expects him to do that, he simply concentrates on staying upright. Diamondback watches him with considerable amusement, waiting to see what he does; to Bagon, there appear to be three blurry snakes in front of him, fading in and out of focus. Nevertheless, he gives his command his best shot, putting on a crooked smile. Yeah, that's right, I'm on my feet again. You thought you could take me down, but you're just totally weak, you, umm, you stupid snake...

Diamondback just rolls his eyes in response to Bagon's feeble taunt attempt. Drawing up a great burst of energy from his deepest reserves, the seviper forces it out into his flesh, where it will be easy to call on again later. He grows noticeably bulkier and takes on a faint white glow as the bound energy enhances his natural defenses, leaving him tired but fortified against future attack.

Bagon isn't really surprised that his taunts didn't work. Giving that attack up as a lost cause, he squeezes his eyes shut, trying to clear his head and focus what little psychic power he has in the thick helmet on his head. Miraculously, he manages to cut through both confusion and paralysis to do just that, a faint whine building in his ears as the attack gains power. Opening his eyes again, Bagon lowers his head and charges, slamming into seviper helmet-on.

The snake slides back a couple of feet, the explosion of psychic energy that accompanies the headbutt causing a brief flare of pain in his skull that temporarily drowns out any thought of attack. The snake huddles up, trying to collect his thoughts, while Bagon staggers to a halt, then falls forward, his muscles locking up something fierce.

Fortunately, he doesn't need to move to start resting, and though it is difficult at first to concentrate despite his awkward, cramped position, the bagon's paralyzed muscles swiftly begin to ease as he sinks into a healing trance, energy sweeping through his body to flush the poison from his veins and loosen stiffened muscles. Bagon's eyes fall closed and his body relaxes as he sinks ever deeper into his rest, his various injuries starting to close up in fast motion as he turns all his faculties towards the matter of healing.

Diamondback, meanwhile, is still disoriented and uncertain what to do. Bagon flops over, apparently asleep--but of course Diamondback was supposed to use sleep talk if he himself was sleeping. And he's not taunted, no, so no eartquake or iron tail. That leaves... double team, of course! But a signal from the referee indicates the round is over, and Diamondback is forced to pause and wait for further commands, having taken too long to figure his last set out.

Metallica Fanboy (OOO)
bagon
Bagon (M) <Rock Head>
Health: 76%
Energy: 66%
Used: Nothing ~ Zen Headbutt ~ Rest
- Lying comatose on the balcony. In a deep healing trance (2 more actions). Confused (very mild). +1 Attack

Brock (OOO)
seviper
Health: 50%
Energy: 54%
Commands: Stockpile 20% ~ Flinch ~ Nothing
- Confused and frustrated. Right fang snapped off near the base. 20% energy stockpiled. +1 Defense, +1 Special Defense

Terrain Notes
The temperature of the air is rising, and the amount of smoke in it has only increased. It is getting somewhat uncomfortable to breathe, and the referee has pulled her shirt up over her mouth and nose in an attempt to filter out some of the airborne ash and dust. Evacuation begins in two rounds.

Final Notes
- Bagon cannot learn taunt.
- Metallica Fanboy attacks first next round.

The end of round status doesn't mention Bagon being asleep, and I think Rest would probably heal a tad more than that.

The line about the "healing trance" refers to rest, and Negrek doesn't ref rest as restoring 100% health all at once. It's gradual over the duration of the move.

Why didn't DiamondBack attack on action 3? You posted he was remembering attacks, but then the round ended...

The line about the "healing trance" refers to rest, and Negrek doesn't ref rest as restoring 100% health all at once. It's gradual over the duration of the move.
Ah, I missed that part.

Why didn't DiamondBack attack on action 3? You posted he was remembering attacks, but then the round ended...
Pretty sure that's because you ordered a four-attack conditional, which usually is enough to confuse the Pokémon into not knowning what to use.

So, anyway, let's take that obvious course of action -- Sleep Talk. Once you wake up (which I know exactly when you will but eh let's not take pointless risks), Zen Headbutt if you're under attack, Chill if you're not.

Sleep Talk/Zen Headbutt/Chill ~ Sleep Talk/Zen Headbutt/Chill ~ Sleep Talk/Zen Headbutt/Chull

Rest was already explained, Diamondback's failure on the last action was indeed due to too many conditionals.

Crap. I was trying so hard not to do that.

Um... Double team, max Clones but not over 5. Then Wring Out. Then Toxic. IF on actions 2 OR 3, Sleep talk orders up a Protect, go for a 15% Sub, then move your action over. If on actions ONE OR TWO, Sleep Talk orders a Super-Effective attack or Taunt/Swagger, use Protect.

Double Team (Max clones, but not over 5)/Protect ~ Wring Out/Substitute 15%/Protect ~ Toxic/Wring Out/Sub 15%

Round Four

Metallica Fanboy (OOO)
bagon
Bagon (M) <Rock Head>
Health: 76%
Energy: 66%
Used: Nothing ~ Zen Headbutt ~ Rest
- Lying comatose on the balcony. In a deep healing trance (2 more actions). Confused (very mild). +1 Attack

Brock (OOO)
seviper
Health: 50%
Energy: 54%
Commands: Stockpile 20% ~ Flinch ~ Nothing
- Confused and frustrated. Right fang snapped off near the base. 20% energy stockpiled. +1 Defense, +1 Special Defense

Diamondback watches Bagon slumber on with some apprehension, unsure of what the dragon might try next. To make matters worse, the arena in general is hardly relaxing, with sirens howling and the roar of flames growing louder by the minute. Perhaps inspired by some subconscious recognition of the disastrous fire, Bagon briefly murmurs in his sleep before breathing out a rush of blue and golden flames imbued with draconic power. Diamondback shivers as the dragonbreath washes over his scales, but the attack is relatively weak.

As Bagon resumes peaceful slumber once more, Diamondback slithers in a swift circle around the sleeping dragon, his scales rustling against the balcony as he goes. The seviper moves faster and faster until his form splits up into several identical copies. As he slows to a halt again, Bagon is ringed by six seviper.

Oblivious to his opponent's multiplication, Bagon begins to murmur and move about in his sleep, heralding the production of another random attack. This time he staggers up to his feet, eyes still closed. A faint buzzing fills the air as psychic power is once again concentrated in Bagon's helmet, and then the dragon lurches towards one of the seviper, moving into an ungainly run with his head lowered. He plows straight through the snake, which flickers out of existence as soon as he makes contact. Bagon stumbles on for a few more steps, wobbles, then collapses in a sleeping heap again.

The real Diamondback smirks as he watches Bagon destroy one of his clones, then slithers forward as soon as he's sure the bagon is soundly asleep once again. Wrapping his tail around the little dragon, he squeezes viciously, crushing Bagon's slumbering body in his powerful coils.

Bagon doesn't stay asleep for long in the face of the wring out attack, though. His healing complete, he rises groggily from his trance and opens his eyes as the pain of the wring out attack pierces his lingering drowsiness. The bagon begins to struggle against Diamondback's coils, but this only incites the seviper to squeeze harder, tightening his grip on the unfortunate bagon. Only once he's drawn his body tight enough to prevent the dragon from moving even now that he's awake does Diamondback release his grasp, tossing Bagon away and then hastily retreating back amidst his clones while the bagon chokes and gasps for air.

Once he's recovered, Bagon stands up again, aching from the wring out but overall feeling much better than when he started resting. He's a bit dismayed to find himself facing down five seviper now, but he's got nothing to do but take his shot at one of them and hope for the best. This time the zen headbutt the bagon conjures is entirely premeditated, but its result is the same: he goes charging through a clone rather than the real Diamondback.

The snake lunges even as Bagon passes through the illusory seviper, foul poison oozing from his one good fang as well as his stump. Unfortunately, Bagon manages to throw himself out of the way, and Diamondback snaps at empty air, his toxic coming to naught.

Metallica Fanboy (OOO)
bagon
Bagon (M) <Rock Head>
Health: 88%
Energy: 46%
Used: Sleep Talk (Dragonbreath) ~ Sleep Talk (Zen Headbutt) ~ Zen Headbutt
- A little tired, but okay overall. +1 Attack

Brock (OOO)
seviper
Health: 45%
Energy: 37%
Commands: Double Team ~ Wring Out ~ Toxic
- Annoyed by his miss, but confident with his clones about him. Right fang snapped off near the base. 20% energy stockpiled. Has three clones. +1 Defense, +1 Special Defense

Terrain Notes
The building next to the one at which the battle is taking place is alight, and the wind is blowing the flames--as well as great clouds of smoke--this way. Over the sound of sirens, it is just possible to make out the cries of what few people remain in the building below as they either call for help from rescue workers or run from the building. Evacuation begins in one round.

Final Notes
- Diamondback's toxic missed.
- Brock attacks first next round.

Okays. This is going okay, but your energy and health levels are worrying me. So Chill and then Swallow. Then the last action is pretty much a freebie. If you feel god, Return. If you feel bad, Frustration. If he Protects or is other wise unhittable, Dig down and stay. IF one action ONE OR TWO, you are asleep, sleep talk. If you didn't chill on action one, chill on action two.

Chill/Sleep Talk ~ Swallow/Sleep Talk/Chill ~ Return/Frustration/Dig (down and stay)

We can't allow Swallow to be used, so, force DiamondBack to chill on the second action instead by roaring him out of it during the first. If that worked and your opponent didn't chill on the first action, you can have a chill yourself; however, if Chill was used on the first action and Roar then failed, try another one, so as to stop the Swallow from occouring.

As for the last action, let's set up something to play around with the odds a tad; Mud-Slap'em.

Roar ~ Chill/Roar ~ Mud-Slap

Back
Top Bottom