• Welcome to The Cave of Dragonflies forums, where the smallest bugs live alongside the strongest dragons.

Guests are not able to post messages or even read certain areas of the forums. Now, that's boring, don't you think? Registration, on the other hand, is simple, completely free of charge, and does not require you to give out any personal information at all. As soon as you register, you can take part in some of the happy fun things at the forums such as posting messages, voting in polls, sending private messages to people and being told that this is where we drink tea and eat cod.

Of course I'm not forcing you to do anything if you don't want to, but seriously, what have you got to lose? Five seconds of your life?

Browser Wars, Part I (aka Browser Discussion)

What browser(s) do you use?

• Total voters
I use IE. Just wondering, what is so bad about IE because I don't have any problems with it at all. I'm not allowed to download other browsers so IE was the one already there so I just went with it. But really if IE is that bad I will consider getting another browser but probaly not, to me extra features don't matter so if that's the case then no thanks.

Thanks

From EeveeSkitty

Read the fuckin' thread.

I use IE. Just wondering, what is so bad about IE because I don't have any problems with it at all. I'm not allowed to download other browsers so IE was the one already there so I just went with it. But really if IE is that bad I will consider getting another browser but probaly not, to me extra features don't matter so if that's the case then no thanks.

Thanks

From EeveeSkitty

1. Opening up new tabs takes forever.
2. Firefox and Opera have the ability to save your session.
3. Firefox is completely customizable.
4. Opera also has a fair amount of choices.
5. Nintendo makes the game systems which run Pokemon, Microsoft doesn't. Thus, Microsoft loses.
6. Firefox, Opera, and Safari are all faster than Internet Explorer, as well as more secure.
7. Being the most popular browser, as well as being used mostly by "business people", Internet Explorer is a giant target in security.
8. Opera has a widget where a little Mew bouncing a Pokeball appears. Nothing beats that. Nothing.
9. Speaking of widgets, they will keep you more busy than anything else you'd be doing on the internet.
10. Firefox has an automatic spell check with multiple languages available for download.
11. Opera has a semi automatic spell check, along with a grammar check.
12. When you zoom pages on Opera, it zooms in on the images as well. Firefox has an add on that can do that, also.
13. With add ons such as NoScript, Firefox can become even more secure.
14. By adjusting Firefox's port settings, it can go much faster than it usually does.

That's enough for now. I'll be happy to share more if you want it, though.

If you want to open up the ports, here's how, to anyone wondering:

A Friend said:
1.Type “about:config” into the address bar and hit return. Scroll down and look for the following entries:

network.http.pipelining network.http.proxy.pipelining network.http.pipelining.maxrequests

Normally the browser will make one request to a web page at a time. When you enable pipelining it will make several at once, which really speeds up page loading.

2. Alter the entries as follows:

Set “network.http.pipelining” to “true” (simply double click)

Set “network.http.proxy.pipelining” to “true” (again, just double click)

Set “network.http.pipelining.maxrequests” to some number like 30. This means it will make 30 requests at once.

3. Lastly right-click anywhere and select New-> Integer. Name it “nglayout.initialpaint.delay” and set its value to “0″. This value is the amount of time the browser waits before it acts on information it receives.

If you’re using a broadband connection you’ll load pages MUCH faster now!

5. Nintendo makes the game systems which run Pokemon, Microsoft doesn't. Thus, Microsoft loses.
How exactly is Pokemon relevant to a browser war?

12. When you zoom pages on Opera, it zooms in on the images as well. Firefox has an add on that can do that, also.
Firefox 3 has this built in btw

13. With add ons such as NoScript, Firefox can become even more secure.
All noscript does is disable javascript and flash, and I'm fairly certain Opera can do this as well.

14. By adjusting Firefox's port settings, it can go much faster than it usually does.
Opera does pipelining by default, from what I know, and (of course) IE doesn't support it at all.

PROTIP: If anyone HAS TO use IE, at least slap this onto it.

Meh, I guess me putting Pokemon in to it was just a habit. I made over 200 posts in another browser war topic. It's cooling down, but a few months ago, there was a huge Opera vs. Firefox war. Eventually, the Opera users had fits and left the forums. A few of the Firefox users did, too. In the end, it was down to one Opera user and I, and it eventually just ended. By that time, though, we were relating browsers to cereal and comparing the names, Opera = Opera Music, etc. It's crazy.

Well, I switched to Opera now. I wish I could change my answer on the poll, but eh. Opera's pretty cool, I like it a lot now. Saving sessions is probably the feature I use the most.

However Firefox 3 is so slow (at least on my computer. It's the slowest of my browsers) that it really doesn't matter.
The spellcheck is kind of cool, but it's bothersome that Pikmin and stuff are always underlined.
I've gotten used to the 'awesome bar' so it doesn't bother me as much as before.

PROTIP: If anyone HAS TO use IE, at least slap this onto it.

I'm not sure how stable the IE8 Beta is but it can't be much worse than IE7 so you may want to consider that instead

I'm not sure how stable the IE8 Beta is but it can't be much worse than IE7 so you may want to consider that instead

ie8 isn't all that great, actually; it does render acid2 so it's better on standards but it fucks up on pages coded for IE (I turned on Emulate IE7 mode not long after upgrading it). I still prefer firefox and opera, I just installed ie7pro (soon to be called iepro to emphasize it works on ie8 as well) on it just so it could almost compare to the other browsers

but it fucks up on pages coded for IE (I turned on Emulate IE7 mode not long after upgrading it).

well you can hardly blame IE8 for finally doing it RIGHT.

well you can hardly blame IE8 for finally doing it RIGHT.

True; but there's something to be said when IE fails it even when it wins it.

Not that it's IE8's fault, of course, if people didn't have to hack their code to make it work correctly in IE5 and 6... :-\

I'm using Fx2 at the moment, although I may upgrade to Fx3 sometime in the near future. :P I'm just sort of attached to this version for now and it will take me a bit to be able to let go. (Also, Adblock Plus for the win.)

I also have IE7 on my computer, mostly because some websites are stupid and are like, "HEY OUR WEBSITE ONLY WORKS IN INTERNET EXPLORER SORRY". I avoid using IE whenever possible though because I hate it. X_X

I have IE7 on my computer because it's built into Vista. :(

Does anyone else here prefer IE6 to IE7?

some websites are stupid and are like, "HEY OUR WEBSITE ONLY WORKS IN INTERNET EXPLORER SORRY".
you'd be looking for User Agent Switcher then

alternatively, if it actually doesn't work in firefox, use IETab. Technically you're still using IE (well, its rendering component at least), except it saves you the trouble of clicking the IE icon.

However Firefox 3 is so slow (at least on my computer. It's the slowest of my browsers) that it really doesn't matter.
The spellcheck is kind of cool, but it's bothersome that Pikmin and stuff are always underlined.
I've gotten used to the 'awesome bar' so it doesn't bother me as much as before.

Right Click -> Add To Dictionary

Venged_Kitty said:
8. Opera has a widget where a little Mew bouncing a Pokeball appears. Nothing beats that. Nothing.
I have that. :D

It's true.
Nothing beats it.

I use Firefox for general browsing, sometimes Opera, but mostly Firefox.
I use Opera for sprite-getting though, because Firefox leaves that annoying black box around images.

I'm using Fx2 at the moment, although I may upgrade to Fx3 sometime in the near future. :P I'm just sort of attached to this version for now and it will take me a bit to be able to let go. (Also, Adblock Plus for the win.)

Adblock Plus is fully compatible with Fx3 and has been pretty much since its release, iirc.

Back
Top Bottom