• Welcome to The Cave of Dragonflies forums, where the smallest bugs live alongside the strongest dragons.

Guests are not able to post messages or even read certain areas of the forums. Now, that's boring, don't you think? Registration, on the other hand, is simple, completely free of charge, and does not require you to give out any personal information at all. As soon as you register, you can take part in some of the happy fun things at the forums such as posting messages, voting in polls, sending private messages to people and being told that this is where we drink tea and eat cod.

Of course I'm not forcing you to do anything if you don't want to, but seriously, what have you got to lose? Five seconds of your life?

Can you solve a Rubik's Cube?

How long does it take you to solve a Rubik's Cube?

• < 2 minutes

Votes: 8 12.3%
  • 2 - 5 minutes

Votes: 5 7.7%
  • 5 - 10 minutes

Votes: 1 1.5%
  • > 10 minutes

Votes: 6 9.2%
  • I can't solve it.

Votes: 45 69.2%

• Total voters
Solving the middle layer: an edge is correctly placed but backwards (requires removing and replacing it, although this may be simple to resolve on reflection)

try solving bottom corners and middle edges at the same time? saves a lot of time if you're good at it (I am not)

Permuting the top layer's corners correctly: two switched diagonally (requires three-way corner shuffle twice)

gah I always lose time here :(

Flipping the top layer's corners face-up: many cases (can require two corner-rotation moves, or even 3+ if I don't guess which way to do it first)

Yeah, this gets me quite often, but I'm getting better at assessing which way to rotate the corners.

Permuting the top layer's edges: any combination of all four edges incorrect

only two extra algorithms, though, so it's not too bad to learn (I am thinking it might even be worth it learning all the different algorithms for the previous point, too)

eta:
Flipping the top layer's edge cubies to have the top face's color on top: anything but having two adjacent up and the other two down is a pain (requires a shuffle move up to 3 times)

really? this takes me a maximum of two algorithms (one for two up/two down (well, there are two algorithms depending on the case) and two if all are down) eta: when the correct edges are opposite, rotate the cube so one of the incorrect ones is F and do F R U R' U' F'

Last edited:
My mom taught me how to solve the top layer when I was a kid. Or rather, she taught me how to get one face to be all the same color, but the only difference between that and solving the top layer properly is just that instead of picking any cubie with a face of the right color, you pick the particular one that should go there.

Didn't touch Rubik's Cubes for years; then we went on a long road trip and I happened to have found a little booklet called "The Simple Solution to Rubik's Cube" and solved it in a fit of boredom at some point before, so I brought both the booklet and the cube with me and solved it several times while following that solution.

I can still sort of remember some of the moves, but I'd have to bring out the book again to actually get them again.

I have never solved one. I haven't even gotten one side completed. I'm such a Rubik's Cube failure. They suck anyway. I rather spend time sleeping or eating. I'm like a sloth, except i talk. And move around more.

glhf :(

Most of the finishing moves -- and especially the middle layer fixing move -- revolve around taking a solved cubie out of the right place, putting it back a different way, and ending up with a couple other cubies swapped or rotated as a side effect.
well I have two layers perfectly down now :( I will get the last!!

I just timed myself today and got 1:02. I want to break a minute so badly ugh :(
I always lose time on the second layer and last layer corners.

Back
Top Bottom