• Welcome to The Cave of Dragonflies forums, where the smallest bugs live alongside the strongest dragons.

Guests are not able to post messages or even read certain areas of the forums. Now, that's boring, don't you think? Registration, on the other hand, is simple, completely free of charge, and does not require you to give out any personal information at all. As soon as you register, you can take part in some of the happy fun things at the forums such as posting messages, voting in polls, sending private messages to people and being told that this is where we drink tea and eat cod.

Of course I'm not forcing you to do anything if you don't want to, but seriously, what have you got to lose? Five seconds of your life?

Capitalist Democracy Mafia 2: Credit Card Bubble

I don't like this situation at all.

I was thinking the same as Stryke about vm being an alien, plus there's the whole willingness to lynch himself which makes me nervous.

$30 to lynch MD. I am way too worried about an alien here although it seems a bit obvious of a strategy on the lynch. I don't have a grasp of strategy sufficient enough to plan something out, but best case it'll turn out that the fencing match was a mafia sidepower and we win; otherwise... I don't know.

Oh my god, I can't believe I need to elaborate on this. But if people are going to start throwing out votes for me, of all people... ugh.

Okay, for starters, aren't you forgetting that I'm a confirmed Sports Announcer? I roleclaimed and then proved my innocence by activating my power last day phase. So, voting for me would be very foolish.

Now, here's a list of evidence that suggests VM is the last mafia member:
  • Who else could it be!? I'm a confirmed innocent because I roleclaimed and then used my power; Cynder is a confirmed innocent because he's provided lots of information that has resulted in lynches; Faorzia is a confirmed innocent because Cynder checked her income. That leaves only Stryke and VM, and I'm inclined to believe Stryke's roleclaim.
  • VM lacks an income, so we know he's not innocent.
  • There is no reason to believe that an alien even exists in this game. It certainly wouldn't suit the setup.
  • Even if an alien existed, there's no reason to believe the alien would lack an income.
  • Even if an alien existed and lacked an income, there is no reason to believe that VM would then be sitting on $37 to vote with.
  • The broadcasts are obviously unreliable, since MF was innocent. Most likely they're made by the mafia. The message about VM being "neither innocent nor mafia" doesn't have to be true, and may in fact be intentionally misleading.
  • If VM really was an alien, he would want us to lynch him, which is the opposite of what he's accomplishing right now; he's currently convincing everyone not to vote for him, which is working surprisingly well. If he genuinely wanted to be lynched, he would avoid making himself look like an alien. It seems more likely that he's mafia and wants everyone to be afraid of lynching him.
I'll put down $30 to lynch VM, I guess. Ugh.

hhhhhhhhhh okay that's convincing. I am way too easily convinced by lists of evidence.

I'll retract my vote for now, because I need to actually think about this and stop impulse-voting. It does seem true that there would be no reason for an alien to have that much money, and it's true we are mostly afraid of lynching him.

gah. also, Stryke, you're pirouetting on your opinion of the broadcasts? do you still think they're no good? After MF's flip and DarkAura's flip I'm inclined to think they are bastardized, or maybe even true alone and false when sent in pairs. but I don't see them as reliable.

we have a pretty long day phase so hopefully I don't forget to come back and vote

Thank you, Music Dragon.

It's nice to see someone understands me. I've done nothing but tell the truth this whole game and yet you all still don't trust me. How do you think that makes me feel? You've all been racist towards me and my bird-american friends the entire time. Maybe the mafia is not me, but all of you. Let that sink in for a moment.

What is the difference between innocent and mafia anyway? We're not so different, you and I. Morality is not as black and white a concept as you think it is. There's just a lot of grey areas, and even those are subjective. In the end, we're all neither innocent nor mafia. Maybe the real mafia were the friends we made along the way.

I'm still not convinced. VM, if you're REALLY a mafiosi, then you wouldn't mind killing me tonight, eh? If you kill me, then my ghost will probably believe you're mafiosi. And so will whoever's left. If you don't, then I'll stand by my accusations. So, whaddaya say?

Accusations quickly start flying as the citizens of Capitalismville make what could very well be their last stand. Stryke accuses VM of being an alien. Music Dragon accuses VM of being scum. VM also accuses VM of being scum. Bank accounts are drained as a show of force to back up people's opinions, and the town waits with bated breath as the LED screens tick away the dollars...

$67 — Vipera Magnifica
$43 — abstain

Some townspeople sign in relief, some in resignation. VM sighs overtheatrically. "Let's get this over with," he says in a conspiratorial voice, holding his arms out wide. A sniper's red bead gets a lock on VM's forehead, and...

VM is dead.

He was scum.

The townspeople are relieved to find another insurance-company business card in his pocket! Their phones ring out a joyous fanfare as the citizens celebrate.

Day 5 is over.
Innocents win!

---

[hide=Metallica Fanboy — the Corrupt Congressman]Metallica Fanboy — the Corrupt Congressman
You are innocent!
Your nightly income changes (see below).
Your debt limit is $20 for 11 players left. This shrinks by $2 upon each death, to a minimum of $4 when 3 players are left.

Everybody knows democracy is just a way for politicians to get a little kickback from lobbyists and PACs, don’t they? Because of these kickbacks, your nightly income is equal to one-half, rounded up, of the amount of money that is spent on voting the previous day. (You start with 2 dollars on night zero.)
Vipera Magnifica — the Big Bank Executive
You are scum!
You have a nightly income of 0 dollars.
You cannot accrue debt.
Your fellow scum are Zero Moment and Zapi. The scum Quicktopic is here.

You’re in charge of the biggest bank in Capitalismville, and you’ve decided it’s time to get the money you truly deserve, by any means necessary. As an executive, you have masterful control over the company’s publicity arm, meaning you can send out any kind of propaganda you like, or even tamper with records regarding your fellow townsfolk.

You have two night actions. You may use one or the other each night, but not both at the same time.

1. You may broadcast any message you like. PM me the message of your choosing (140 characters max), and it will be publicly shared in bold at the start of the next day phase.
2. You may choose a target, and any inforoles that try to gather any kind of information about that target on that night will receive garbled results.

Neither of your actions can steal money; you’ll have to rely on your employees to do the dirty work of theft for you. But if either of them dies, you will inherit their night actions. (You may still only use one action per night.)
Superbird — the Hacker
You are innocent!
Your nightly income is 5 dollars.
Your debt limit is [$5] times [0.2] times [the number of players left alive]. This ranges from $11 with 11 players left to a minimum of $3 when 3 players are left.

You’re a hacker with some pretty l33t skillz, so when things go awry in Capitalismville, it’s time for you to put your skills to work.

Each night, you may target someone to inspect. The following day, their alignment will be publicly broadcasted in the game thread.
Zero Moment — the Big Bank Collection Agent
You are scum!
You cannot accrue debt.
Your fellow scum are Vipera Magnifica and Zapi. The scum Quicktopic is here.

You’re the muscle for the biggest bank in Capitalismville. It’s your job to collect what’s owed, and if you maybe collect some more than that, who’s gonna know? OK, if you kill people in order to collect from them, maybe somebody will know, but you can still probably get away with it, right?

Each night, you may target one person to kill. You also steal all the money they have on hand. In addition, if they are in debt, the kill is unblockable and you also receive money equal to double the amount of debt they had (in addition to the money they had on hand, if any).
Stryke — the Health Insurance Salesman
You are innocent!
You have a nightly income of 10 dollars.
Your debt limit is [$10] times [0.2] times [the number of players left alive]. This ranges from $22 with 11 players left to a minimum of $6 when 3 players are left.

Each night, you may pick a target as the recipient of your Special One-Night-Only Health Insurance Policy. If they would die on this night, the policy gets them speedy medical attention, saving them from death, but you must pay $20 for their medical care. If they don’t need to be saved, they pay you $5 as a premium. On subsequent nights, previous targets are no longer covered by the One-Night-Only insurance (unless you are targeting them again).
Zapi — the Big Bank Loan Agent
You are scum!
You cannot accrue debt.
Your fellow scum are Vipera Magnifica and Zero Moment. The scum Quicktopic is here.

You’re a slippery fellow who can sell anything to anyone. You could sell ice to a polar bear. You could sell sand to a camel. You could even, perhaps, sell debt to someone whose life might depend on not being in debt...

Each night, you may select a target to steal $5 from. If the target doesn’t have $5 for you to steal, you’ll force them to accrue $5 worth of debt to fund your theft. If the target was in debt before your action, you’ll also receive money equal to double the amount of debt they had. (If the target cannot take on $5 more in debt before hitting their debt limit, you will only receive money equal to double the amount of debt they have, and none of the rest of your night action will succeed.)
Wargle — the TSA Agent
You are innocent!
Your debt limit is [$10] times [0.2] times [the number of players left alive]. This ranges from $22 with 11 players left to a minimum of $6 when 3 players are left.

As your fellow townspeople go about their business during the night, you have the dubious responsibility of watching their movements to determine who has evil intentions. Unfortunately, you’re also in the midst of a TSA budget cut, meaning you must shell out your own money to turn on your body scanner. Maybe you can make it up by passing the charge onto your targets?

Each night, by paying a $10 fee, you may choose a target. If your target does not attempt to use a night action, your action fails. But if your target does use a night action, you will discover what type of night action it is (killing, informative, healing, etc.) and charge $5 from the target.
Music Dragon — the Sports Announcer
You are innocent!

You’re super enthused about sports — so much so, in fact, that you’ll force your fellow townspeople into a sport they’re amateurs about. At any point during any day, you may PM me, tell me you’d like to activate The Thing, and choose two targets. (You are allowed to choose yourself as one of these targets, if you desire.)

When The Thing is activated, for the rest of the day phase, your two targets cannot vote (they are not penalized for not voting, as they would normally). Everybody else cannot say anything except who they’re voting for and how much money.

You cannot activate The Thing if there are four or fewer players left, including yourself.
Faorzia — the Cooking Show Host
You are innocent!
You have a nightly income of 15 dollars.
Your debt limit is [$15] times [0.2] times [the number of players left alive]. This ranges from $33 with 11 players left to a minimum of $9 when 3 players are left.

Everyone loves watching your cooking show, in which you teach the audience how to make some scrumptious eats. You’re a very skilled chef — so skilled, in fact, that eating your dishes might just help out in mysterious ways in a pinch. Ingredients are a little pricey in this economy, but you have a duty, so when Capitalismville is in trouble, it’s time for you to roll up your sleeves, select a target, and send a dish their way! (You can’t give yourself food — you’re not hungry at all!)

Due to the food shortages in Capitalismville, every time you wish to repeat a recipe you’ve already cooked before, the price gets higher. The X in the costs below represents the number of times you’ve made the dish, including the current time. (So for the first time you cook anything, X is 1; then, if you cook the same thing again, it’s 2; and so on.)

Your recipes are:
  • Carrot cake — $10X
  • Cheese wheel — $8X
  • Peanut brittle — $6X
  • Baked beans — $4X

Carrot cake — bearer may inspect target for scum/not scum
Cheese wheel — bearer is protected from being killed
Peanut brittle — bearer may kill target
Baked beans — bearer may roleblock target
Cynder — the IRS Auditor
You are innocent!
Your nightly income is 5 dollars.
Your debt limit is [$5] times [0.2] times [the number of players left alive]. This ranges from $11 with 11 players left to a minimum of $3 when 3 players are left.

Your job is to scrutinize your fellow citizens’ income and spending habits, which you think might come in quite handy in this crisis. Each night, you may choose a target and a certain night (which may include the current one). You will receive a summary of all financial transactions that involved them during that night phase. These records include the amount of money involved and the type of night action, but not the names of the other people involved in the transactions.
DarkAura — the Policeman
You are innocent!
You have a nightly income of 5 dollars.

Each night, you may pick a suspicious target and jailkeep them, preventing them from using their night action but also preventing any night actions from targeting them. You also charge one night’s worth of income from them as bail when they go free at the end of the night.
[/hide]
I decided to do something a little different this time around. Below you'll find my notations for who performed which night actions. To accompany this, you can consult this Google Sheet on which I kept track of money.

VM/Bank Exec chooses to broadcast “Metallica Fanboy is mafia”
Zero Moment/Bank Collection kills Superbird
Zapi/Bank Loan steals from Music Dragon

MF/Corrupt Congressman has no night action
Superbird/Hacker targets Music Dragon; result: innocent
Stryke/Health Insurance does nothing
Wargle/TSA Agent tries to scan Music Dragon; jailkept
Music Dragon/Sports Announcer has no night action
Faorzia/Cooking Show Host does nothing
Cynder/IRS Auditor scans Metallica Fanboy for Night 0
DarkAura/Policeman jailkeeps Wargle

RESULTS

Broadcasts: “Metallica Fanboy is mafia” and “Music Dragon is innocent”
Deaths: Superbird
Debt accrued: $5 for Wargle, $5 for Superbird

Wargle is jailkept
Cynder gets financial records regarding MF (received income, nothing else)
Zero Moment gives $1 to VM
Zapi gives $1 to VM

No lynch
VM/Bank Exec chooses to broadcast “DarkAura is innocent”
Zero Moment/Bank Collection kills DarkAura
Zapi/Bank Loan steals from Wargle

Stryke/Health Insurance does nothing
Wargle/TSA Agent scans MF
Faorzia/Cooking Show Host sends baked beans to Wargle (1st time: $4)
Cynder/IRS Auditor scans Metallica Fanboy for Night 1
DarkAura/Policeman jailkeeps Zero Moment

RESULTS

Broadcasts: “DarkAura is innocent”
Deaths: none
Debt accrued: $5 for Wargle

ZM is jailkept
Wargle gets results regarding MF (scan failed)
Cynder gets financial records regarding MF (received income, nothing else)
Wargle gets baked beans
ZM gives VM all their remaining money
Zapi gives $8 to VM

ZM is lynched
VM/Bank Exec chooses to kill DarkAura
Zapi/Bank Loan steals from Wargle

Stryke/Health Insurance sells insurance to Metallica Fanboy
Wargle/TSA Agent scans Zapi
Faorzia/Cooking Show Host sends peanut brittle to DarkAura (1st time: $6)
Cynder/IRS Auditor scans Zapi for Night 2
DarkAura/Policeman jailkeeps Stryke

RESULTS

Broadcasts: none
Deaths: DarkAura
Debt accrued: none

Stryke is jailkept
Wargle gets results regarding Zapi (action that affects money)
Cynder gets financial results regarding Zapi (received money, had money taken)
DarkAura gets peanut brittle
Zapi gives VM all their remaining money

Zapi is lynched
VM/Bank Exec chooses to broadcast “Vipera Magnifica is neither innocent nor mafia.”

Stryke/Health Insurance sells insurance to VM
Wargle/TSA Agent scans Stryke
Faorzia/Cooking Show Host sends cheese wheel to Cynder (1st time: $8)
Cynder/IRS Auditor scans VM for Night 3

Wargle uses baked beans (roleblock) on MF

RESULTS

Broadcasts: “Vipera Magnifica is neither innocent nor mafia.”
Deaths: None
Debt accrued:

Wargle gets results regarding Stryke (protective action)
Cynder gets financial results regarding VM (paid money)
Cynder gets cheese wheel
MD activates The Thing: himself vs. MF

MF is lynched
VM/Bank Exec chooses to kill Wargle

Stryke/Health Insurance sells insurance to Cynder
Wargle/TSA Agent scans X
Faorzia/Cooking Show Host does nothing
Cynder/IRS Auditor scans Faorzia for Night 4

RESULTS

Broadcasts: none
Deaths: Wargle
Debt accrued: none

Cynder gets financial results regarding Faorzia (received income, nothing else)
VM is lynched

Innocents win!
That was a lot of fun! It's hard for me to gauge whether Cynder's role as written was overpowered, since by luck she ended up targeting every scum in turn. Either way, between her, Superbird and DarkAura having direct or indirect inspection powers, in retrospect the town was too powerful in this game. Still, VM did a pretty great job of playing is-he-or-isn't-he-an-alien, which I honestly thought would work for at least another day or so.

I was a bit surprised no one noticed that I, in my voice, used "scum" to describe people when they died and flipped scum, but that the broadcasts in VM's voice used "mafia" instead. I thought that would be a dead giveaway that those broadcasts were bogus.

I also didn't even realize VM was the scum faction leader in both Capitalist Democracy mafias until I looked back at the old one while writing this wrap-up. What a coincidence!

Good game, everyone! See you next time!

Stating that the town gets income was a big indicator of someone's alignment in this type of game, perhaps you should add some town roles that don't gain income?

DarkAura really clued me in on the 'income as alignment' strategy when she caught Zero Moment, I was unsure until then.

Um, JackPK, I'm a guy. I didn't name myself after the Spyro character.

Whoops! Sorry! (The one time I hurry and assume instead of going back to check the pronoun field... I wish we had some kind of easy pronoun lookup function on the "post reply" page instead of having to navigate elsewhere.)

iqEvCHQTIxb1iJECJd4ByXyjgrCdQSKniJVrwxeTXYzTBbZxTCvq9i46vUm0FZaixf0TxZJN=w400-h226-nc

But yeah, because of the income thing, this game essentially had three inspectors, one of which could post alignments publicly. I don't see how that could have ever worked out well for us.

]VM/Bank Exec chooses to kill DarkAura

I should've known those slippery snakes were working with the birds! It was all a plot to slander my name!

srsly tho, this was super fun! Serious props to the scum, I seriously couldn't tell if VM's gambit really was a gambit, and Zapi's flip came totally out of left field. So yeah, really fun game!!

this endgame was very well played~

it was fun! I'd want to see a CDM3 if there's ever an idea for one. We didn't get to play with the concept of debt very much with Cynder's lucky shots.

Back
Top Bottom