• Welcome to The Cave of Dragonflies forums, where the smallest bugs live alongside the strongest dragons.

Guests are not able to post messages or even read certain areas of the forums. Now, that's boring, don't you think? Registration, on the other hand, is simple, completely free of charge, and does not require you to give out any personal information at all. As soon as you register, you can take part in some of the happy fun things at the forums such as posting messages, voting in polls, sending private messages to people and being told that this is where we drink tea and eat cod.

Of course I'm not forcing you to do anything if you don't want to, but seriously, what have you got to lose? Five seconds of your life?

Sojaveña Wilds Clan Battlegrounds

Turn 3
Enemy Phase

Sierra's Supercell Slam dealt grazing damage! She was hurt by the recoil!

The chieftain's signature strike misfired, frying her as much as her opponents.

"Turn winds," ordered Sierra, her voice calm and commanding. "Circle centre, and sally."

"Heard!"

"Heard."

"Heard!"

Piedra walked to Dusty Approach!
Piedra dashed to Tall Grass!
Piedra's AGILE Thunder Fang dealt 16 damage to Kimiko!
Piedra's Snarl dealt hit everyone!
Bellatrix: 9!
Dave: 4!
Piedra Focused...
Piedra's Thunder Fang dealt a CRITICAL 38 damage to Bellatrix!
Piedra dashed to Rough Slope!

"Don't set off Contrary!"

"I'm a thinking 'mon, I won't!"

Viento walked to Tall Grass!
Viento's Snarl hit everyone!
Bellatrix: 9! KO!!
Dave: 4!
Viento Focused...
Viento's STRONG Thunder Fang, boosted by Rivalry, dealt 33 damage to Dave! He toughed it out at 1 HP out of sheer spite! Paralysed!
Viento's Roar knocked Dave into Rough Slope!

"Really? Did you scuff it, Viento?"

The Luxray shot an irritated snarl at Piedra. These offworlders were persistent.

"It would hardly be a good fight if they went down so easily!" called Sol, before buzzing the Wayfarers at high speed, trailing flames.

"I got the fox, give me some credit!"

"That was all Piedra," called Ria, deadpan, as she leaped from the overlook and circled around. "Focus on your target. Chief, on your right."

"They're all packing Revivers," cried Sol, with what sounded like approval. "Rival team all have Seeds!"

"Oh, there's the staying power," mused the Vaporeon. "A brittle strategy, but with potential."

"Just don't leave your flanks open!" ordered Piedra, manoeuvring around for a better angle of attack.

Ria's Support Skill! Sierra gained +1 Spd!
Sol's Spotter Skill! He learned that the squad can take an extra KO each!

Sierra dashed to Rough Slope!
Sierra used Howl! +1 Atk for her and Piedra!
Sierra used Charge! +1 Res!
Sierra is Flinching and can't do more!

"Your group is well-coordinated," remarked Sierra, to Dave, as if they were taking a light stroll and she were making small talk. "I had not expected this. What other surprises shall I see from you?"

And then her fur crackled once more. Excessive force to finish off a Poochyena on his last legs, certainly... if that was her true plan.

Boss Attack: Sierra is preparing Supercell Slam, targeting Rough Slope!

It seems Dave has slightly more attention on him right now...?

Last edited:
The strikes from the luxray was enough to cause Bellatrix to kneel. How frustrating, she thought. All that time training and yet it was not enough. She would need to change her strategy moving forward. As her reviver's energy coursed through her, the many different courses of action she could take ran through her mind. She stood back up, shooting Piedra a harsh look, before her focus settled back onto Sierra with an idea of her own that was quickly sent over the Wayfarer communications.

There wasn't much fight left in her, that much was obvious and there was little more she could do before the Escarpa would drain that last bit of energy from her. If this was her last stand, she was going to ensure that she would go all out.

No words needed to be exchanged. Bellatrix was quick, standing in front of Sierra, unfazed by the sparks surrounding her fur, a look of defiance in her eye. Tiny flames were sent Sierra's way and then her gems and irises flickered, mane flickering with illusionary power. Before this point, many Wayfarers would notice that Bellatrix was rather cagey on her own use of Shadow, never mentioning it despite honing it during training herself.

The wisps of her Hex came together to form the abstract concept of a creature laced with Shadows - small, perhaps even a trick of the light - that ran towards and through Sierra with great force. Bellatrix tore her eyes away from the sight, reaching for a Blast Seed within her bag and tossing it before Sierra would have much time to recover.

Bellatrix braced herself, finding herself back on all fours, barring her fangs at the incoming attack.

Bellatrix (111 STM, 14 TMP, +0 SPD, +0 ACC, 0 SHD, 0 RAD)
- Walk to Rough Slope
- Will-O-Wisp @ Sierra (-17 STM, Sure Hit, +2 TMP)
- **Act:** SHADOW Focus (+5 TMP)
- STRONG CRITICAL SHADOW Hex @ Sierra (-22.5 STM, -20 TMP, +4 TMP, +15 SHD)
- **Act:** Item (Small Blast Seed) @ Sierra
- Activate feat (Spotter Feat) @ Sierra - Defences
Net change: -40 STM, -9 TMP, +15 SHD, +0 RAD

Net totals: 71 STM (99 after regen), 5 TMP, 15 SHD, 0 RAD

Last edited:
Astrid glowered at Viento between heavy breaths. "You did not get me!"

Then a flash of light caught her periphery as Bellatrix rose from her reviver seed. "Oh, you mea-- okay."

There was no denying that the Escarpa were just as much one unit as they were many. The Wayfarers had splintered their formation only for it to reform like liquid. This really was a good fight. When was the last time she'd had a fight like this as a Ninetales? Fueled only by passion and mutual respect and the drive to get better? Fuck.

1. Jade
2. Dave
3. Wes
4. Bellatrix
5. Kimiko
6. Astrid
Astrid (49 STM, 4 TMP, +0 SPD, +0 ACC, 28 SHD, 0 RAD)
- Nasty Plot (-18 STM, +2 TMP)
- Draining Kiss @ Viento (-9 STM, +2 TMP)
- AGILE CRITICAL Frost Breath @ Viento (-15 STM, hit, -2 TMP, +2 TMP)
- CRITICAL Frost Breath @ Viento (-10 STM, Sure Hit, +2 TMP)
- **Act:** Item (Leppa Berry) (+40 STM)
- Activate feat (Spotter Feat) @ Viento’s defenses
Net change: -12 STM, +6 TMP, +0 SHD, +0 RAD
Net totals: 37 STM (63 after regen), 10 TMP, 28 SHD, 0 RAD
(TAKE COVER)

Last edited:
Well, their running assault could have gone worse, all things considered. Kimiko barely got a scratch from Sierra's last barrage.

Again watching her allies, Kimiko noticed that Piedra was once again given little attention. Better try to keep her occupied then, lest she find an opening to go wild. Kimiko dashed her way, riding some of the wind from her hastily scattered leaves.

"We meet again," she greeted upon arrival, her only warning before attacking once again, with a bit more care this time. Then, while Piedra was recovering, Kimiko bounded back into the tall grass, berry in hand, almost daring the luxray to chase her.

Kimiko (79 STM, 26 TMP, +0 SPD, +0 ACC, 17 SHD, 0 RAD)
- Dash to Rough Slope (-2 TMP)
- AGILE Magical Leaf @ Piedra (-12 STM, Sure Hit, +3 TMP)
- CRITICAL Magical Leaf @ Piedra (-8 STM, Sure Hit, -20 TMP, +3 TMP)
- Aura Sphere @ Piedra (-17 STM, Sure Hit, +3 TMP)
- Leaf Tornado @ Piedra (-12 STM, hit, effect, -7 TMP, +3 TMP)
- **Act:** Item (Oran Berry)
- Walk to Tall Grass
Net change: -49 STM, -17 TMP, +0 SHD, +0 RAD
Net totals: 30 STM (56 after regen), 9 TMP, 17 SHD, 0 RAD

Well, he'd avoided Sierra's big strike. But that just meant Viento charged right at him instead, fangs sparking with arcs of lightning, and fuck. He twisted and writhed as the Luxray's fangs dug right into his burned shoulder, and when he became dimly aware of the fangs releasing him, it was probably because Viento thought he was down already.

But he managed to hang on to a shred of consciousness, somehow. He dragged himself back up in the grass, ears ringing.

"Your group is well-coordinated," remarked Sierra, to Dave, as if they were taking a light stroll and she were making small talk. "I had not expected this. What other surprises shall I see from you?"

And then her fur crackled once more. Excessive force to finish off a Poochyena on his last legs, certainly... if that was her true plan.
She was expecting him to hightail it out of there to avoid it, wasn't she. Was there any point, though? He was going to collapse at the next goddamn touch from anyone. Even if he went for his remaining Oran, he'd just be left in the same situation again after the next round of electric Hell.

He glanced at Sierra and at Piedra. "How about this," he said, pulling out the Leppa instead and popping it in his mouth. With the sudden burst of energy blazing through his veins, he charged. At Sierra to pull from her strength, back at Piedra to catch her unaware.

As he put on a last burst of speed with all he had left, bracing to take the full brunt of Sierra's attack, wisps of cold shadow gathered around his feet.

Dave (40 STM, 10 TMP, -2 SPD, +3 ACC, 0 SHD, 0 RAD)
- **Act:** Item (Leppa Berry) (+40 STM)
- AGILE Bite @ Sierra (-25.5 STM, +5 TMP)
- Activate ability (Pickpocket) @ Sierra's +Atk
- Bite @ Piedra (-17 STM, effect, -7 TMP, +5 TMP)
- CRITICAL SHADOW Assurance @ Sierra (-15 STM, -18 TMP, +5 TMP, +15 SHD)
Net change: -26 STM, -5 TMP, +15 SHD, +0 RAD
Net totals: 14 STM (44 after regen), 5 TMP, 15 SHD, 0 RAD
(TAKE COVER)

Jade tumbled out from the tall grass, spitting out dirt and desperately thankful to have only been on the fringes of Sierra's attack as the Luxray chieftain had crashed into the ground with the force of what looked like a small bomb. Everyone was still standing, right? A flash of golden light--not lightning, she realized with a start--gave the answer that Bellatrix had fallen. The ghostly Zorua was picking herself back up, but with her Reviver spent, she wouldn't last much longer. It was now or never.

"We've got an opening for a counterattack, let's go!" she cried.

Jade's Support Aux: +1 Mag to Bellatrix

Turn 4
Player Phase

The Wayfarers had found their rhythm. This was their true strength – a degree of tactical coordination none could rival, though the Escarpa made a good match for it.

Jade's Support skill boosted Bellatrix!
Bellatrix's Will-O-Wisp burned Sierra!
Bellatrix's STRONG SHADOW Hex dealt a CRITICAL 34 damage to Sierra!
Bellatrix's Blast Seed dealt 20 damage to Sierra!
Bellatrix's Spotter Feat - Sierra's Defences: 119, 149

Wes's Terra Strike dealt 25 damage to Sierra!

Astrid's Draining Kiss dealt 27 damage to Viento! Recovered 20.
Astrid's double Frost Breath dealt a CRITICAL 23+29 damage to Viento!
Astrid's Spotter Feat - Viento’s defenses: 92, 112

Kimiko's AGILE Magical Leaf dealt 10 damage to Piedra!
Kimiko's Magical Leaf dealt a CRITICAL 16 damage to Piedra!
Kimiko's Aura Sphere dealt 13 damage to Piedra!
Kimiko's Leaf Tornado dealt 13 damage to Piedra!

Dave's AGILE Bite dealt 13 damage to Sierra! Pickpocketed +1 Atk!
Dave's Bite dealt 23 damage to Piedra!

"Sierra!" shouted Piedra, leaping the distance to block the next attack, and audibly wincing as it landed. "Watch yourself!"

Dave aimed at Sierra, but Piedra intercepted the hit with Cover Band!
Dave's SHADOW Assurance dealt a CRITICAL 50 damage to Piedra!

"Creditable," purred Sierra.

She'd not expected that from Dave, but neither was she surprised. It seemed the clan chieftain respected (or at least liked) this kind of bloody-minded desperation. If Dave had relocated, Sierra would surely have come crashing down on whichever Wayfarer targets were most worthwhile, but without the need to aim elsewhere...

"I answer your fury."

Boss Attack! Sierra's Supercell Slam dealt CRITICAL damage!
Dave: 130! KO!!
Bellatrix: 121! KO!!

Turn 4
Enemy Phase

With Bellatrix and Dave down, and Bellatrix out of the fight entirely, the Escarpa counterattack landed squarely on Kimiko and Astrid was a forgegone conclusion. Even so, the clan warriors pushed to give their best performance, knowing the Wayfarers would revive momentarily – and make a final assault of their own.

"Turn winds, fortify, form on me," called Sierra, evenly, settling into a run while hardly out of breath – even after sustaining her powerful strikes all match. The Luxray warriors followed her command, as did Ria and Sol...

And if Halcón realized that, hopefully they’d get to fight for real.

“I’d be cool with that.”

Halcón was sharp enough to spot Gladion's transition from offense to defense, and switch up his own tactics accordingly. When he finally fought with attacks, it turned out he was a deft and focus fighter, efficient, never a paw in the wrong place, and now and then two hindpaws in the Null's flank.

Halcón's STRONG Double Kick dealt a CRITICAL 28 dmg to Gladion!

"You interest me," said Halcón, a faintly smug, relaxed smile on his muzzle. "What is battle, to you?"

Sierra and her warriors descended on the Wayfarers without reservation.

Piedra walked to Tall Grass!
Piedra used her Weather Orb! Tall Grass became Sunny!
Piedra used Protect!
Piedra is Flinching, and can't do more!

Viento's Snarl dealt 4 + 6 damage to Astrid and Kimiko! Kimiko's Contrary!
Viento's AGILE Thunder Fang dealt 17 damage to Astrid!
Viento Focused...
Viento's Thunder Fang dealt a CRITICAL 28 damage to Astrid!
Viento used Protect!

"Viento, you Snarled the snake!"

"It's not like I have much of a choice right now, storms take you!"

Sierra walked to Tall Grass!
Sierra's AGILE Fire Fang dealt 20 damage to Kimiko!
Sierra's Fire Fang dealt 26 damage to Kimiko!

"You impress me," said Sierra, with a hint of a roar just under her breath. "I hoped you'd be opponents fierce enough to take on real power!"

The Luxray chieftain's eyes gleamed like the sun, and her mane crackled with bright energy. Not lightning, but something else mimicking lightning, a strange light that burned the air around it.

Sierra launched herself at Astrid, her claws shining and plasma flowing across her fur, and shredded what cover shielded the Ninetales as she landed her attack. The light – Radiance, it had to be – blazed and sizzled where it met Astrid's Shadow-imbued body.

Sierra used Shining Teardown!
Shining Teardown dealt 42 dmg to Astrid! It's ultra effective!
KO!!
Sierra's defenses fell!

Sierra finally took a breath that sounded like there was effort in it, and smiled with satisfaction as the Wayfarers pulled themselves off the ground with sparks of Reviver light.

"Come, do your utmost!" she exhorted them. "Fell me, if you're able!"

Sierra used Howl! +1 Atk for each Luxray!
Sierra used Charge! +1 Res!

Boss Action: Sierra created a firm Protect shield!
Boss Attack: Sierra is preparing Shining Teardown!

Ria and Sol are watching with interest...

It seems like it's now or never... but Kimiko might be the next target of choice, if it comes to that!

Viento and Piedra were showing signs of tiring, but they rallied to their chieftain all the same. Defeating every Escarpa warrior outright, or fighting until none could still stand, was not the purpose of this match. If the Wayfarers could knock out Sierra and put her elite Luxray on their last legs... that would be enough.

Last edited:
"You interest me," said Halcón, a faintly smug, relaxed smile on his muzzle. "What is battle, to you?"

Gladion almost let himself fall out of step to stop and think. “I…”

In a sense, it was the opposite of what using the ball had been— instead of his body melting away so he could exist free from it, in this fight he was his body acting as everything else that would otherwise weigh on his mind dissolved instead. It didn’t matter: It was a relief all the same. Better, even, because here there was something to do, a challenge to face. Better than being stuck alone with his thoughts.

He made a blow towards Halcón’s, while sweeping his own left talon out improvisationally to see if he could grab at Halcon’s leg in a way a forepaw wouldn’t have been able to— Hoping it could a possible weak point in Halcón’s rhythm if he’d never fought a quadruped with a taloned grasp.

The question had changed the way he was thinking, drawing him further out of the mindset he was interrogating into a more calculated style in combat. But he didn’t mind this kind of combat, either.

He didn’t answer right away, but eventually he thought of something:

“Maybe earlier I’d have said it was the chance to let this body be the weapon it was made to be, dive into a more intuitive part of myself and the world. Maybe that’s it sometimes. But… I’m not really doing that right now? And I don’t mind this, either. I think… I’m chasing a feeling, and I can’t quite rationalize it.”

He took another beat before realizing there was something more he needed to add. “I’m thinking of fights like this, or even the rail bridge though. Sometimes it is just ‘the mayor’s guards decided the gala crowd were getting too uppity and attacked them, so someone has to stop them.’ That one was a means to an end, I’ll admit.”

Halcón grinned, his ears flicking to continue hearing out Gladion as he jumped from side to side, looking for another angle to land a blow. Halcón didn't juke all that much. He clearly liked to land all his hits.

"A feeling, is it? One you chase – joy, then? Or something else?"

Perhaps impatient to strike after deliberately holding off while he listened, Halcón went for another hit – it met scale and fur, but he recovered imperfectly, leaving himself open for Gladion to clutch his leg, and pull it from under him.

"Ah, whoops," muttered the Luxio, before landing heavily on his side.

His eyes were still half-lidded, unconcerned, but his tail lashed the ground and his fur sparked off as he built up energy...

Gladion was somewhat surprised to see Halcón fall, like he wasn’t expecting his own trick to work. Halcón had felt almost untouchable, had made him feel like he had to pivot to a strategy that wasn’t about landing blows at all. Then he shattered his misconception, to see Halcón as his own person with a personality and style that brought its own strengths and weaknesses.

“When I first heard people of Forlas talking about battle as a means of understanding, it didn’t make sense.”

Halcón was charging up, and would probably bury that current into him if he attacked. But he couldn’t let this chance go by. If he didn’t land a decisive blow on Halcón, he wasn’t sure he could create another chance like this.

“Most of mine had been nothing like that.”

He reared up, straining to lift his weight as high as he could.

“But I think I get it now!”

And then brought the full force of his body and helmet down on Halcón, inviting the counterattack in turn.

Show me what you can do, Halcón! One more time!

"Gladly!" replied the Luxio, his expression broadening into a more sincere delight.

The Null's mass collided with Halcón hard enough to nearly knock him out flat, and the built-up charge in his body loosed at that same moment, frying Gladion with a surge of power.

Halcón wouldn't get a chance to truly reply to Gladion's words until after he regained consciousness, but he didn't need to for Gladion to know that their little duel had gone well.

No shot Astrid was avoiding what came next. She braced for the brief nothingness that she knew would come next, but what actually pierced her bones was so much worse. Fire. Splinters. And such warmth—so gentle, then so hot that it all went cold in a blistering fury.

So this was Radiance.

Something in her burned out finally, and she was lying in a field that wasn’t there before. Incorrectly colored skies loomed, like the very cosmos had been altered. Winds of ash and poison scraped away the surface. Scorched grass, cracked earth. The damning sound of whistling in the clouds, lower, lower…

Impact.

A desperate voice called out. “Astrid!”

She had tried to scream, but the air wouldn’t come.

Astrid’s eyes shot open. Tall grass from the Escarpa battleground blanketed her sideways vision. Something had flashed violently just now—the seed. And with it, the Shadows began to whisk away, to be lost…

No. She grabbed a fistful of grass and soil and ripped herself off the ground, not quite hearing Betel’s network clearly as the others prepared their finale. Dissonant nightmares crept in and sent her heartbeat roaring, and she let them, just this once. She only focused on one approach, the same instinct from before that day kicking in.

“AAAAAAAA!!”

1. Kimiko
2. Jade
3. Wes
4. Dave
5. Astrid
Astrid (89 STM, 10 TMP, +0 SPD, +0 ACC, 0 SHD, 0 RAD)
- Nasty Plot (-18 STM, +2 TMP)
- **Act:** Item (Geo Pebble) @ Sierra
- AGILE CRITICAL Frost Breath @ Sierra (-15 STM, Sure Hit, +2 TMP)
- Interact @ Sierra — Harness Shadows to corrupt the next Frost Breath (-3 TMP)
- CRITICAL Frost Breath @ Sierra (-10 STM, hit, -2 TMP, +2 TMP)
- Draining Kiss @ Viento (-9 STM, +2 TMP)
Net change: -52 STM, +3 TMP, +0 SHD, +0 RAD
Net totals: 37 STM (63 after regen), 13 TMP, 0 SHD, 0 RAD
(TAKE COVER)

Last edited:
Kimiko grunted in pain as Sierra's fiery bites burned her again. But even as she forced herself to her feet... well, she was still standing, after everything. Thankfully, no actual burns from those attacks either, but damn, they hurt... still, preferable to electricity, at least. (The sudden thought occurred to her that she hadn't been as bothered by it here as she... otherwise used to be. Was that a result of the world-hopping, somehow? At least it made sense that she landed in an electricity-resistant body...)

"You impress me," said Sierra, with a hint of a roar just under her breath. "I hoped you'd be opponents fierce enough to take on real power!"

Kimiko watched Astrid go down to... whatever that light attack was. That was no lightning blast. Definitely some sort of Radiance technique, if she had to guess; it looked similar enough to that first time they met in the chieftain's tent.

Astrid had her reviver though, and Kimiko hadn't used hers yet, either. So all-in-all, a performance that impressed the chieftain. And they weren't finished yet!

"Come, do your utmost!" she exhorted them. "Fell me, if you're able!"

"Is that a challenge?" Though her words were directed at Sierra, she turned to Piedra and launched some more leaves; the better to keep her distracted, and fake-out the luxray chieftain. "If you insist, but remember, you asked for it! Consider your challenge accepted, chieftain Sierra!"

One sudden spin later, and a shadowy wisp hurtled through the air, seeking to bust right through Sierra's protection.

"She's open!" Kimiko called, hoping her allies would get the not-so-subtle hint. She never said she would land the finishing blow.

Kimiko (56 STM, 9 TMP, +0 SPD, +0 ACC, 17 SHD, 0 RAD)
- AGILE Magical Leaf @ Piedra (-12 STM, Sure Hit, +3 TMP)
- Magical Leaf @ Piedra (-8 STM, Sure Hit, +3 TMP)
- Leaf Tornado @ Piedra (-12 STM, hit, -2 TMP, +3 TMP)
- CRITICAL SHADOW Aura Sphere @ Sierra (-17 STM, Sure Hit, -20 TMP, +3 TMP, +17 SHD)
Net change: -49 STM, -5 TMP, +17 SHD, +0 RAD
Net totals: 7 STM (33 after regen), 4 TMP, 34 SHD, 0 RAD
(TAKE COVER)

Dave awoke with his ears ringing, body aching all over, mind clear.

The three Luxray were standing there, in the grass, daring them to do their worst. And yeah, he would. They'd finish this. Betel's telepathic network was abuzz with plans, how best to go about this. Sierra's eyes were glowing with Radiance.

With yet another enormous heave, he rose to his feet, eyes swimming. God, fuck. Viento and Sierra had dished out enough pain for a decade. He focused on the tightest pinprick of anger in his brain. Sharpened his claws and charged once again, first at the golden shield covering Viento, then towards Sierra herself. Kimiko's shadowy sphere had just dissolved the extra-thick shield covering her, leaving her exposed.

He smacked into Sierra, felt the thrum of Radiance within her, and gritted his teeth at the sensation. The power of the Saints.

Cold shadow was congealing again. And yeah, that was probably a good fucking idea anyway. Hit her harder by using the other fucked-up power he didn't want.

He leapt, flaring up in Shadows.

Dave (74 STM, 5 TMP, +0 SPD, +0 ACC, 0 SHD, 0 RAD)
- Walk to Tall Grass
- Hone Claws (-18 STM, +2 TMP)
- AGILE Rage @ Viento (-6 STM, +3 TMP)
- Rage @ Sierra (-4 STM, +3 TMP)
- Activate ability (Pickpocket) @ Sierra
- CRITICAL SHADOW Assurance @ Sierra (-15 STM, -18 TMP, +3 TMP, +15 SHD)
Net change: -43 STM, -2 TMP, +15 SHD, +0 RAD
Net totals: 31 STM (61 after regen), 3 TMP, 15 SHD, 0 RAD

Astrid’s unbridled scream struck a nerve deep within Wes in a way that he hadn’t at all been prepared for. It wasn’t so much the scream itself, but the clear and obvious distortion within it; that eerie, all too familiar yet hard to describe sound of Shadow corruption.

He staggered as if the scream had dealt him a physical blow, and suddenly he felt his heart rate spike. Fear, pain, anger, helplessness, flashes of red rage as he struck at his friends again and again and again—

“Shit!” he spat. His legs quivered as he struggled to keep himself in check. He wouldn’t lose it, not again, never again

Don’t smother your anger, kid.
An old, familiar voice from so long ago drifted in through the dark haze of his thoughts. Master it. Use it.

Wes took a breath.

He charged at Viento first. He had no idea what the hell kind of fancy accessory the guy had, but he did know it was a real pain in the ass. Wes used that annoyance to his advantage, letting it fuel his movements, and strangely enough, it seemed to give him a sharp sense of clarity, a keen sense of how to exploit the mon’s weakness.

Wes darted around the feline, plowing his paws into the sand until he was tunneling down into it. He snapped at Viento’s flank, drawing his attention, then plunged into the earth and burst out the other side, striking at his head in a quick flash. Viento’s yowl told Wes his play was a success.

He whirled away, happy to leave the rest to his teammates, then barreled towards Sierra, funneling the hazy red edges of his vision into one focused attack. Something about her bright, radiant energy rattled him, threatening to fracture his fragile control, but he pushed through it and struck at her shoulder with a snarl.

“How’s this for utmost?”

Interact @Viento
Shadow Brawler Strike @Sierra

Jade screwed her eyes shut against the blinding light that tore into everyone, felt everything go dark for a split second before she was blinking, flat on her back, pain ebbing away with the tide of a golden glow washing over her fur. Right, the Reviver had saved her from blacking out. She wasn't back to 100%, not even close, but it was just enough to stand up again.

The residual energy in the air sizzled across Jade's fur, but something about the way it reacted with the others seemed more hostile. Somehow, she just knew that what she'd felt was getting off easy compared to them.

Because they'd been using the shadows.

The idea flickered into being with surprising clarity in her head. It made perfect sense. They'd used the shadows, so they'd been hurt worse by the light.

Equal and opposite. She'd heard it described as that by the ones who'd visited the Abbey. Maybe it'd go both ways.

A cold chill swept in, like the echoes of watching that small figure walking into an endless black sea, sinking into it, over and over. Jade hadn't wanted that power, hadn't asked for it. (Hadn't wanted to be chosen? Hadn't asked to be chosen? No, that was different. That'd been her choice, not like this--) But now everyone was stuck with it, and it wasn't fair. Was it just going to stay there, etched into their being the entire time they were on Forlas, bubbling to the surface whenever it felt like it? No choice?

Sierra had only given them a moment for a counterattack; there wasn't enough time to process everything, only enough time to move. Jade saw Dave charging ahead at the chieftain as her warriors took a defensive stance, and knew that his attack had to land true, and that they couldn't block everyone.

"H-hey!" the Meowth cried, waving an arm in the air while her other paw swept forward, gathering ghost-type energy, firing it, and it was only supposed to be the Shadow Ball she'd been practicing, something that'd look more dangerous than it actually was, but the darkness crept into it anyway, corrupted it, no choice.

Jade's Shadow Caster Aux @ Sierra
Interact @ Viento to grab his attention

Turn 5
Player Phase

Kimiko's Double Magical Leaf hit Piedra - Protected x2!
Kimiko's Leaf Tornado dealt 16 damage to Piedra!
Kimiko's SHADOW Aura Sphere dealt a CRITICAL 26 damage to Sierra's shield! Broken!

Kimiko's inner darkness fueled a projectile of aura energy that shattered Sierra's protective barrier – the chieftain grunted with effort as the energy field collapsed, the Shadow mutually annihilating with the Radiance lacing its structure. Jade fired off her own Shadow-type projectile, and Piedra dived for it, yowling as it impacted with a sickening low-frequency sound. Viento moved to intercept the next dangerous-looking attack, and got sand in his face for the trouble, letting Wes' strike through to hit Sierra's flank with a hissing tschunk.

Jade's SHADOW Caster Wave was intercepted by Piedra! 30 dmg!
Wes's SHADOW Brawler Strike dealt 40 to Sierra!

They almost had it. They were close.

Dave's AGILE Rage hit Viento - Protected!
Dave's Rage hit Sierra! 6 dmg, Pickpocketed +1 Atk!
Dave's SHADOW Assurance dealt a CRITICAL 52 damage to Sierra!

Sierra didn't curse, or complain, or cry out in pain, but the crunch of Dave's darkness-wreathed impact, landing right where Wes had struck, made a few 'mon present wince. The Luxray's hindleg buckled. Surely she couldn't take another significant strike...?

"Chieftain!" shouted Viento, putting himself with a leap between Sierra and the Wayfarers. It would not be enough.

Astrid's Geo Pebble was intercepted by Viento! 20 dmg!
Astrid's AGILE Frost Breath dealt a CRITICAL 17 damage to Sierra! KO!!
Astrid's Frost Breath dealt a CRITICAL 34 damage to Viento! KO!!
Astrid's Draining Kiss dealt 21 damage to Piedra!

Two Luxray went down – Viento collapsing in an unconscious heap – and the third staggered, hackles up and tail low.

"—yield," gasped Piedra, her eyes on Sierra. "That's enough. I'm calling it."

A tight, firm nod from her chieftain confirmed this was the right call. Sol descended to alight – beak held open to cool himself off – on the ground nearby, and Ria loped over from her vantage point. Piedra checked briefly on Sierra – fine, nothing she wouldn't walk off – and then paced across to Viento to drag her tongue across his face, which brought him to with a sputter and a curse.

"You went down first," she purred. "You owe me a rota duty, Viento."

"Go soak your mane," muttered the exhausted Luxray.

The fight was over – the fight was won.

Bellatrix was, once again, left kneeling after Sierra's strike allowing the others to finish the battle without her. She knew what she was doing when she stood in the luxray's way, she knew she could not continue her fight - not that she would if she had decided not to do so either way. Though it had been exhilarating, part of her seethed.

It was shameful, really. So many obvious weaknesses and oversights had left her kneeling and the others standing triumphant. Why couldn't she have been there alongside them? Feeling that same pride? Why wasn't she as strong as them? She had put the countless hours training, neglecting rest for it.

Was she just not good enough?

Not in front of the others.

With a deep breath, Bellatrix steadied herself and rose back to her feet with a neutral expression, giving a respectful nod to Sierra and her two luxray warriors. She decided to wait to be acknowledged before speaking up. To be deemed worthy of their presence.

Back
Top Bottom