• Welcome to The Cave of Dragonflies forums, where the smallest bugs live alongside the strongest dragons.

Guests are not able to post messages or even read certain areas of the forums. Now, that's boring, don't you think? Registration, on the other hand, is simple, completely free of charge, and does not require you to give out any personal information at all. As soon as you register, you can take part in some of the happy fun things at the forums such as posting messages, voting in polls, sending private messages to people and being told that this is where we drink tea and eat cod.

Of course I'm not forcing you to do anything if you don't want to, but seriously, what have you got to lose? Five seconds of your life?

Controversial Topics

Re: TCoDf has highly homogenous ... ideas.

will people stop fucking adding retarded tags

thank you

Also I don't like pizza that much. I'll eat it but not my favourite. I prefer pasta dishes and *that* is what I would look for in Italy.
(Uncivilised people you all are!)

Pasta > pizza

I had a surprisingly nice express bolognese yesterday. Nothing beats the Galileo though. Even though it's run by Algerians.

Re: TCoDf has highly homogenous ... ideas.

Meh. There are still plenty of discussions going on around here which people are disagreeing about. Why does this topic even exist? And why has its subject changed about 6 times?

Changed the title cause the old one was odd and unwieldy!

It looks like what most people are arguing about includes "mushrooms or no", "pizza or pasta", "thin mints or samoas"... (the latter on all for me \o/)

But as for actual controversial topics that don't have to do with food... how about music downloading? :x I seem to remember the meat-eating topic being pretty busy... that has to do with food too, but less directly 83 I figured this topic could exist as a kind of breeding ground to get ideas for threads in the serious business forum. \o/ idk.

I'm against it. It's stealing. Not that tough to wrap a head around.

Anyway, I'm former on all three of those.

I'm against it. It's stealing. Not that tough to wrap a head around.

No it isn't. Making a copy cannot be considered stealing.

There are plenty of arguments against piracy, but calling it "stealing" simply isn't true.

Actually, copyright law says explicitly that copying any legally obtained work for anything other than a personal backup is illegal.

EDIT: LolKrono. True, true.

Actually, copyright law says explicitly that copying any legally obtained work for anything other than a personal backup is illegal.

EDIT: LolKrono. True, true.

Three points:

1. Copyright law varies from country to country.
2. It's not the person who downloads, but the person who uploads, who is breaking the law.
3. That still doesn't make it theft.

Downloading is an accessory to the crime, though.

How so? How is downloading something in any way related to uploading it? The reverse is true - something has to be uploaded before it can be downloaded, of course - but how does downloading content make you an accessory to its uploading?

Illegally downloading music is different from shoplifting, pickpocketing etc. in that you're not actually taking something from another person, you're just creating a perfect copy of it at no cost whatsoever.

Well maybe but on the other hand you are taking from the artist/software company money they otherwise would have gotten.

Because, if nobody downloaded uploaded music, nobody would upload.

Ah, but that doesn't make sense. If I download item A, I'm not an accessory to the crime of its uploading. Why would you then blame the uploading of item B on me? I'm in no way even connected to it.

I get where you're coming from, but it simply doesn't hold up. It's comparable to the black market - you can buy things from it legally, but you can't sell things. If you want to halt something, you have to target the source; if you target the users, you will very shortly have a huge mess on your hands.

Well maybe but on the other hand you are taking from the artist/software company money they otherwise would have gotten.

This is bullshit. Claiming the loss of potential profits is ridiculous. How, for example, would you go around establishing that everyone would buy the things they download? Many people download a lot, but would buy a lot less if that was the only option available to them.

Well claiming that you SAVED jobs is basically the same thing. So sue me for using Obamanomics.

Back
Top Bottom