• Welcome to The Cave of Dragonflies forums, where the smallest bugs live alongside the strongest dragons.

Guests are not able to post messages or even read certain areas of the forums. Now, that's boring, don't you think? Registration, on the other hand, is simple, completely free of charge, and does not require you to give out any personal information at all. As soon as you register, you can take part in some of the happy fun things at the forums such as posting messages, voting in polls, sending private messages to people and being told that this is where we drink tea and eat cod.

Of course I'm not forcing you to do anything if you don't want to, but seriously, what have you got to lose? Five seconds of your life?

Do you think the Anime sucks now?

^Exactly. I only hate it because in comparision, Kanto and Johto were GODS!

Sinnoh was by far the worst.

You... Like Johto?

Did you not see my rant about the fillers in that season? Especially since they are 90% of the episodes?

I also don't understand the Sinnoh hate. It had a shit ton less fillers, threatening game team (or all of the 7 episodes that they appeared, but that's better than Magma and Aqua and real Rocket), interesting Pokémon, and a rival who actually did things. Gary had 6 episodes where he had a large role out of the 274 episodes of the OS, or about 2%. Paul had 16 episodes revolving around him out of 191 DP episodes, or about 8%. This is not counting cameos or brief appearances, but I remember as a child being shocked when Gary actually showed up, while Paul appearing was routine.

Kortex is right. Black and White is an awesome show in progress. The new Pokemon are also awesome and Team Rocket somehow got a ton of knowledge about hacking and stealing. DP messed everything up because it was, well, goofy. The only thing I like about DP was Paul, Ash's Rival.

The DP anime sucks, but Black and White is great. Kanto and Johto were great. So was Hoenn. Unova is great. So no, the Anime doesn't suck now. I would have said yes a year ago because the DP anime was horrible.

I watched Hoenn and it just felt like Kanto and Johto with May instead of Misty, and Max. In fact, it was worse, because Pikachu was even more overpowered.

I like the original Kanto season best because the humor was great, and the episodes were entertaining overall. Johto was alright, mostly the same as the Kanto ones except in a different region. Hoenn was also pretty great, because those were still pretty entertaining to watch and I like Hoenn and its Pokemon in general. The first few Sinnoh episodes were not bad, but it grew a bit boring after awhile. Except for the gym battles and contests, most episodes seemed the same: Ash and co. are traveling, they run into somebody who usually needs help, Team Rocket appears, one of Ash's Pokemon saves the day. End of episode, repeat process. I did like the Team Galactic episodes though. I watched a couple of Unova episodes. Not as bad a Sinnoh, but not great. I gave up watching after I found out that Meowth got fired from Rocket :P
I'd have to say Sinnoh was my least favorite.

I think sinnoh just kind of killed us older fans from watching Pokemon. Once in a while some of us for own reasons check in for glimpse of the famous red head(who to me her hair seems more orange) gym leader/water trainer. I watched one episode of best wishes Clinian seems to be strange combo of Max and Brock (that's scary to me). Iris's hair is very distracting to me. Has Ash's voice actor changed again he sounds funny. Yes best wishes is better then Sinnoh how could it not be. However I do not plan on watching it again anytime soon I will not put own health in danger from their worsening flashing effects for this season which seems better then Sinnnoh but worse then Hoenn.

Yes, it sucks now IMHO. Particularly mid-late BF, Sinnoh, and Unova, each having common uniting themes making them suck:

#1) The current main cast voice actors for the English dub. NO emotion, sound nothing like the Japanese seiyus, absolutely dreadful delivery...I was once a fan of the English dub but since Season 9 I hate it and have given it seven seasons to improve while it still remains shit. Either the original voice actors play someone else in the current season, or reprise their roles of Ash and TRio (Nathan Price IS still around and he still beats Cathcart's Meowth's ass).

#2) Same rehashing of ideas and the same mistakes. For BF, it was mainly the bad voice acting coupled with the pointless nature of the Saga. Didn't live up to Hoenn's standards IMHO: it was boring. DP, it was either so elaborate it bored the crap out of me or so boring I fell asleep. And BW, the plot is so simplistic a 5 year old could figure out what is happening easily and predict the writers' next move without a glance. I've predicted all that's occurred in the saga to DATE correctly.

#3) Getting nowhere. Ash/Satoshi loses every single league barring the Orange League and Battle Frontier. Win something for hell's sake. And now this "Champion's League" BS introduced in Sinnoh. This show is going to be milked for all its worth.

IMO (Anime):

Johto > Hoenn > Orange Islands > Kanto > Early Battle Frontier (4Kids Dub) > Unova > Mid to Late Battle Frontier (TPCi Dub) > Sinnoh

And yes, 4Kids was definitely the better dubber. It must be said. TPCi is so bad I like 4Kids more.

Last edited:
I think B/W is a great show and don't see why people hate it. probly, D/P messed things up.

D/P was definitely worse and so was Battle Frontier than Unova. I solely hate B/W for two reasons: 1- Kanto, Johto, and Hoenn are way better, and 2- the current voice actors are still bad.

Kanto, honestly, wasn't even that good. I mean, people considered it good because it was new and, "the original," but it wasn't stupendous (Don't rip my head off).

I haven't seen enough Hoenn or Johto to judge.

Frankly, Sinnoh sucked. Oh, good lord, they screwed the crap out of it. The only good things about it were a) Brock's final season :*( and b) a freaking boss Luxray. Also, the movies weren't terrible.

Unova is meh. It could be better, but at this point I only watch it, like, once a month, so I'm totally lost on what's happening. Something about Virbank City, which is a BW2 town. WTF.

So here we have it;

Unova>Kanto>Sinnoh

Based on what I've heard, Hoenn and Johto were alright.

Okay! I guess this would be a decent place to put this wow I really don't go into the Pokemon sections much.

I really really like Best Wishes! It's heartwarming and cute and simple and lovely. My opinion is massively affected by nostalgia, but this isn't the original series or anything so.

The characters are really, really great! Iris and Cilan are basically what Misty and Brock should have been, for sure. Yeah, the plot's really simple now, dialogue's still not exactly the best (though significantly better, probably) and Team Rocket would be better forgotten. But for what it is, which is the Pokemon anime I mean come on, things are waaay better than I expected.

Bianca is also REALLY REALLY GREAT aaaa she and Iris are just the best. nearly all of their Pokemon are great great great so far (I'm about 25-30 episodes in?), i.e. Snivy, Axew (<3), Oshawott, Emolga, there are fun well-paced relationships with Pokemon (Excadrill is working remarkably well as a new Charizard!), Iris is genuinely just a really good trainer who isn't ~hilariously scared of bugs......

idk if I just sort of lull myself into deciding it's not taking itself seriously at all (which it 80% probably isn't) it's a lot of fun to watch! I'm enjoying it more than, say, Sinnoh, which was kinda weird, but I haven't watched basically any of the anime since I was a kid. For a fairly transparent, tame kids' action shounen, it's almost good? Almost. But for Pokemon standards, when I'm in the mood for it, it's weirdly great light fun!! <3 in a pretty terrible way. but fun!

So, nope! Pretty much better than ever before, and no gross creepy Brock in sight.

Last edited:
(can't remember if i've posted in here or not)

yeah the pokemon anime isn't really one you can take so seriously
i started watching it again during sinnoh, but would only watch a few episodes. since bw started, i've watched every episode every week without fail. because it's great. for the reasons cirrus said.

all the other rivals are interesting too and they've got their own backstories (some more developed than others atm) and flaws and everything.
same with pretty much all the pokemon. and they interact with each other a lot in best wishes, which i'm pretty sure didn't happen too often before?

(spoiler thingy just in case) i mean, axew and scraggy are like bffs and snivy and emolga are sort of rivals and leavanny acts like a father figure to all the smaller pokemon etc. and omg excadrill he is the best, the episode about how iris caught him and why he became like ash's charizard? made me cry. god. feelings. yeah the pokemon get a lot of character development too, e.g. oshawott overcoming his fear of swimming with his eyes open, the episode where ash/iris/cilan run into tepig's previous trainer

also. the dub. the dub has ALWAYS been a bit pants, but i think it's been better recently, even though it does retain the ridiculousness sometimes.

I JUST REMEMBERED Scraggy's little headbutts aaa
somehow the show is endearing me to a whole bunch of species I didn't care for at all beforehand

also Trip is pretty good

I haven't seen Johto and Hoenn, so I can't really talk about them that much.

Kanto: Wasn't the best, but it did have a nice touch to it, with Ash being a new trainer. Also, to this day Misty is my favorite non-pokemon character. So those a re pretty much the only reasons I like the Kanto anime.

Sinnoh: Everything about Gen 4 was just meh.

Unova: Definitely my favorite series. I haven't seen much of it, but I can say it's cute and probably the only series that I find humor in. (The scene where Meowth and Oshawott ask Purrloin out is just hilarious.) One major thing that I liked: POKEMON HAVE PERSONALITIES :D I know that some people may argue that previous Pokemon characters have personalities too, but with most of them I just saw the same old thing.

To answer the question, yes, it sucks. However, it isn't as bad of a trainwreck as Sinnoh. Let me give you my opinion of how this transpired. WARNING! CONTAINS A LOT OF RAGE. PLEASE DON'T FLAME ME FOR THIS ANGRY OPINION:

1. "A three letter word for a trainer who wins in exhibition and loses in the 'post-season.'" You should know who I am talking about.

Ash is by far the MOST IRRITATING CHARACTER that I have seen. His arrogance just makes me want to punch a wall. And to make it worse, he wins battles that he should not even have won and BOASTS ABOUT IT; and practically every battle is a bundle of ridiculousness. The matches involving Ash are so predictable (as well as post-game chats), that my little brother (14-15) has called EVERY BATTLE IN THE SERIES CORRECTLY. ...Really? Seriously, we need UNIQUENESS! Stop with the GOD-MODDING!

2. Totally STEREOTYPED characters and Pokemon. Ugh... I get it. This is a bit of a kid's show, but it really hurts the franchise when things are stereotypical and unoriginal. Yeah, make nerds have palpatine complexes and energetic guys jocks...Oi vey...I cry every time they mess up a character just to make other people LOOK GOOD. The worst offender of this was Skyla in the anime. The developers took this kind, free-spirited pilot (she offered you a plane ride, for Pete's sakes) into some snooty brat who ALSO has a palpatine complex.

But the Pokemon...the Pokemon in the anime are so cliche that it makes me want to hurl...

3. Sinnoh was just painful to watch. Ash is much more irritating and successful in Sinnoh. Dawn was a whiny little brat. And Brock? Ugh... The personalities of the characters were (and still are) bland. And that is not event the half of it. I end it on this sentence...

Ok, I'm done ranting...

I suppose they finally listened to criticism of "Ash wins battles through pure luck" and that's why he seems completely reset in BW? I haven't watched the anime since I was a kid so it doesn't feel that strange to me to see him a complete idiot and losing because of that.

... that said, there's still a lot of avoiding devastating moves via effortless dodging, sudden & constant Protects with seconds to spare, and deflecting with other moves. Sometimes it's kind of creative and Special-esque. Others times it's weird and they know it.

Still, as long as Iris, Cilan and Trip are around to completely take down Ash at every opportunity, it's okay. I mean I am really getting the impression that his special skill is being able to get Pokemon to trust him rather than being a decent battler ... why is he even doing the gym challenge ... ...

Ash wins because Pikachu is a Mary Sue.

Well, not really, but the anime is so inconsistent it isn't even funny. Pikachu beats Dragonite in one episode and loses to Charmander in another.

Last edited:
I enjoyed the first and second seasons. The third season was the best, because it gave a nice change from Misty, the stalker, to May, the new trainer. Then everything went downhill in the fourth season. Dawn was a spoiled brat who cared nothing about Pokemon, but for their cuteness. At least May trained her Pokemon. Did Dawn's Pokemon ever evolve and get stronger? Not at all. Piplup stayed small and stupid. Apart from Dawn, the other new characters were good. Paul gave a new sense of style to rivalry and the Pokemon hunter was pretty cool.

While the fifth season is not yet done, I would say things are looking up. Team Rocket are not the annoying stalkers they once were, but rather are true villains. They actually attempted to steal the power of the three 'doruses' Brock is finally gone (thank Arceus) and Cilan gives a nice sense of renewal. Iris is pretty cool for a young female trainer. She is the daugher of the Dragon Leader. Lets hope her Axew evolves. Her Excadrill is pretty cool. I can't wait to see the rest of the fifth season. Its getting interesting for sure.

Back
Top Bottom