• Welcome to The Cave of Dragonflies forums, where the smallest bugs live alongside the strongest dragons.

Guests are not able to post messages or even read certain areas of the forums. Now, that's boring, don't you think? Registration, on the other hand, is simple, completely free of charge, and does not require you to give out any personal information at all. As soon as you register, you can take part in some of the happy fun things at the forums such as posting messages, voting in polls, sending private messages to people and being told that this is where we drink tea and eat cod.

Of course I'm not forcing you to do anything if you don't want to, but seriously, what have you got to lose? Five seconds of your life?

Doctor Who Club

But if I stop reading spoilers I won't get secret messages!

Buffy was denied at first, Firefly got cancelled after one season, and that's right season one and two of House, the current season I swear made my eyeballs bleed, never watched West Wing, I can't watch 24 because I am laughing too hard, yeah, American TV is lacking win. I only like watching reality shows so I can laugh at them and shoot people with nerf guns. Sadly I am not joking.

Ahaha, 24 is brilliantly lulzy, though. What it lacks in being good, it makes up for in being enjoyable. "Oh no! He's dead! And now she's dead! And he's betrayed us all! And Kim's about to be eaten by a mountain lion!"

But, in all seriousness, you shouldn't read below this spoiler (especially the link).

From what I can tell from Twitter, by and large people are loving the new series, including a lot of newcomers (almost all American), and there's also a huge portion of people going "WTF????". Which I sort of get; we are having inexplicable stuff thrown at us a lot (the Doctor dying, the thing that happened at the end of the last episode) without it being fully explained, but I think people are being a bit too critical of all the loose ends - we're only two episodes in, and I think it's brilliant that Moffat's going for something that spans not only multiple episodes, but multiple series (I do confess I'm really enjoying the ongoing story of River, and I keep forgetting she was first introduced way back in Silence of the Library (and I wonder if the 'silence' bit there is yet another reference?)). People (like the person who wrote this review that I otherwise agree with) seem to want to have everything explained, but I'm really looking forward to things unfolding bit by bit, like they did with the serial format of Who (where between four and nine episodes told a mostly self-contained story) back in the day.

It's gonna be one hell of a finale, though, isn't it? :p

Doesn't help when the link isn't covered by the spoiler tags, Dani.

*gets pushed over by a bushy haired woman who screams, "SPOILERS!*

Aaaaanyways, it's fine my lovely friend from across the Atlantic called me and he forgot that I hadn't seen it yet because he is in the future...(so much cooler putting it that way.) So it's ruined but still excited to actually see it. Anyways,

Time Lady? And it's a child. First thoughts was Romana, but no they wouldn't bring her back. But another thought. It is cannon that Time Lords grow younger as they regenerate, this could be a very very old Time Lady, or some sort of half-Gallifreyan. Thing is a lot of people say it's the Doctor's and Amy's, that I think is a giant red herring and isn't true. But what about Jenny? Remember the Doctor's "daughter"? Who regenerated after her debut episode "The Doctor's Daughter"? What if that's her and she made it out? But she regenerated younger. Just a brain thought.

Last edited:
My first thought was Romana, too, but while that'd be pretty awesome for old-school fans, there are so many new viewers, I don't think the writers would go that way, because it wouldn't be very satisfying for all the NuWho fans.

I personally reckon the kid'll turn out to be River, but if that's the case, then the Doctor (unless the writers really want to take the show in an unexpected direction) isn't her father, which means another Time Lord has to be in there somewhere. Jenny would raise the same incesty-problems as the Doctor (although poor old Jenny's involved in a ton of hilarious meta-incest as it is), and the only other Time Lord is the Master, which would be quite the twist (I have a crack theory that Rory's the Master and if it turns out I'm right, you all have to worship me).

I hadn't really thought much about Time Lords getting younger as they regenerate, suggesting that she's actually a very old Time Lord, what with all the talk of babies the show was throwing around, but it's a really interesting point. I don't know if they have to age backwards, though - have the actors who've played the Doctor all gotten younger (from the time they started playing the role, obviously) with each incarnation? I remember Peter Davison being pretty young. And the Doctor and Master were little kids on Gallifrey together, before they'd had any regenerations at all.
So many possibilities! :D

Edit: More things!

1. I actually love the term 'Schrodinger's pregnancy' XD

2. Someone posted on Fandom!Secrets that they think River is a future regeneration of the Doctor who is trolling his/her younger self and, even knowing how it ends, I sort of want it to be true.

3. Totally spoiler-free and hilarious :D

Last edited:
3. EPIC I can die happy now that I've seen that.

2. Hmm I doubt it.. He kissed himself.. I know the Doctor is strange... and been alone for a long time... I now need to make a demotivational poster of emo Doctor with "forever alone". Besides he is supposed to be able to sense another Time Lord... but that would explain how River knows his name. Thing is last I checked they don't change gender when they regenerate... I will have to research that.
1. I keep thinking of Stargate SG-1 when I hear any reference to that.

And Rory? Master? *dalek voice* EXPLAIN!

Yeah Doctor/Jenny not allowed in Doctor Who universe, but the actors are fine. So happy for David, Georgia, and Olive. Wouldn't

I miss Romana/Fred. (old quote I have it somewhere on my facebook I swear.)

Nah, no way time lords grow younger as they regenerate. Look at 10, he was older than 9. And you see the doctor as a little kid of gallifrey in flashbacks- he wasn't born old. This ain't benjamin button.

The kid is a result of a future metacrisis: Amy's child and the Doctor. Possibly during one of the Doctor's future deaths where they all know what can happen if he gets injured during the process. The energies bond with Amy's unborn child, mix somewhere and create this little girl. Or Amy was right that being in the TARDIS affected her. Remember that the TARDIS regenerates as well. Possibly residue from this mingled with the unborn baby. Once the baby's born, ta-daa. Time Lady. As to why and how she ended up in New York is a mystery yet to be solved. Perhaps a time portal? We'll see.

Nah, no way time lords grow younger as they regenerate. Look at 10, he was older than 9. And you see the doctor as a little kid of gallifrey in flashbacks- he wasn't born old. This ain't benjamin button.

The original concept of regeneration or renewal was that the Doctor's body would rebuild itself in a younger, healthier form. The Second Doctor was intended to be a literally younger version of the First; biological time would turn back, and several hundred years would get taken off the Doctor's age, rejuvenating him. In practice, however, after the Doctor stated his age in the Second Doctor serial "The Tomb of the Cybermen (1967), the Doctor's age has been recorded progressively, however many regenerations the Doctor goes through. Excepting the transitions from the Second to Third Doctor and the Fifth to the Sixth Doctor, the general trend has been toward increasingly younger actors for the role. In the revived series the pattern is resumed with the transition of the Ninth to the Tenth and the Tenth to the Eleventh Doctor. BTW Chris Eccleston is almost seven years older than David Tennant (DT 1971, CE 1964) and Matt smith is the youngest ever, he's 28.. holy crap he's only eight years older than me.

Ahhhh okay that totally made up for the first half, and was actually scary :D Yes. Amy in the orphanage, just fucking amazing, okay. I want more of this!

Danni I agree with you on... literally every point you made. I'm expecting this plot point to be drawn out throughout the season, because they left nearly everything unanswered, but that's a good thing, because this is awesome plot. And - and can I say, I was also a bit disappointed about [spoilers]the kiss[/spoilers], mostly because I was hoping that would go... a different way? Just any other way, really. :[ Yeah. Oh, well...

The more I think about it the more I think the Time Lady is Amy's child. The TARDIS couldn't scan her maybe because the Doctor had it set for human...

And Canton lol.

Well, that was good.
PIRATES YAY. They make everything better!

Although one thing that felt really weird to me was that the tried to do the Moffat thing of taking something really ordinary and making it super-scary (in this case, cutting/harming yourself and reflective surfaces), but didn’t really make either work. There were a few good ‘woaaaah don’t cut yourself!’ moments, but no actual tension, which was a bit of a shame.

I enjoyed Amy’s swashbuckling at the beginning very much. And the Captain choosing between his son and his greed – I didn’t see the son getting taken coming.

And WHO was that who popped up in Amy’s sorta-dream?! I might have to rewatch the entire thing just for that one bit. And her wibbly-wobbly pregnancy continues.

The pirates at the end, flying their spaceship was great. Never mind that the Doctor just let a bunch of murderers (with some kind of tropical flu?) loose on the universe.

The music and general atmosphere was pretty fantastic, though. The ending felt a little reminiscent of The Doctor Dances, only nowhere NEAR as good.

Overall, I think the episode felt a little light, but between the mind-blowingly amazing two-parter we opened with, plus the Neil Gaimanny goodness we’re promised next week, I’m okay with that.

Although, I have to say, nearly-deaths annoy me. Rory obviously wasn’t going to die (also, Amy fails so hard a CPR) and it just makes it all silly if they actually *do* kill someone off. And this is the THIRD time we’ve had Rory nearly-die. Although – and this is hilarious - CPR was a UK trending topic on Twitter right after the episode aired because everyone and their mother was complaining about how wrong Amy was doing it XD

In fact, all the UK’s TTs:

• #illpunchyouintheface
• Charlie Adam
• #liamshakeyourtictacs
• Lily Cole
• CPR
• #thatoneperson
• Ood
• Hugh Bonneville
• Space Pirates

(where Lily Cole and Hugh Bonneville were actors in tonight’s Who, everyone hates Amy’s CPR (THE IRONY in Rory telling Amy she’d know how to do it because she’s “seen it on TV all the time”), Space Pirates at the end... and Ood next week! Eee! But yes. 5 out of 9 topics isn’t bad XD

ALSO, the absolute funniest moment:
Captain: Son! *hugs*
Amy: Rory! *hugs*
Doctor: TARDIS! *hugs*

Again, I'm really sorry my thoughts are so disjointed. I might come back and tidy them up later :p

Last edited:
space pirates.

What scared me wasn't the reflection and the blood, it was that siren. OH GOD THAT FACE. Seriously, the way it contorts is just nightmare fuel. And I like the idea of a VI doctor. Intelligent, but can't learn. Anyway, I just found it interesting. A virtual doctor that comes out of reflections to heal you if you bleed.

It was a nice, DW running about episode, nothing big, nothing too flashy, just the Doctor and friends fixing random things, not worrying any massive plot arcs until the very end. A break from the epic USA Silence two-parter.

What intrigued me more was the next episode. Another Time Lord? Someone actually berating the Doctor for being impetuous and childish? Lime-flavoured Ood? Can't wait.

space pirates.

Did anyone else get the end-of-the-episode Firefly feeling? Hee.

Anyhow, it was better than I expected. I always get kinda disappointed by non-Moffat episodes, but this was really kinda cool, especially Amy's dream (the woman she saw, btw, was the woman from last episode's when she looked at the door in the orphanage). I'm not a huge fan of pirates just for pirates' sake, but I think it was done pretty well, honestly! Especially liked all of the Doctor's 'forget all my previous theories lol' shenanigans. :D

I hate this. I've gotten so used to watching shows at my own time, since most of my favorite shows have seasons out on DVD. Now I am watching a show as it happens... THIS IS TORTURE! I mean when I first saw Buffy it was a freaking marathon, I just watched season after season, same with Bones and with House, I even did it with new Who sadly enough because, believe it or not, when I heard they were restarting Doctor Who I was sort of pissed. I thought it would end up being messed up and get the whole show's history ruined. So, I never watched it until I saw Ten in "Human Nature" and I was hooked and watched everything previous online.

Er herm as Eleven said, "Is this how time normally passes? Really slowly, in the right order?

Yeeaaah space pirates! Liked this episode for its swashbuckling nature (Amy, you should have kept that hat!), the constant theory alteration and the Siren - her blank expression and overall strangeness was a good addition to the piratey-ness of it all.

The woman with her appearing-disappearing door, ahh! My curiousity over why she's wearing an eyepatch overthrows all other wonderings about her, but it will still be interesting to find out... you know, anything else about her.

I have a question, though - the guy that the boy cut in the brig, what happened to him? I might have missed it, but as far as I could see he got black-spotted, his treasure-stealing mate got dustified, and then he wasn't in it anymore...? Thought they'd just left him on the (sea dwelling) ship, but then in Confidential he was with the others in the sick bay.

Also, ood. OOD. <3 Wondering about them: back in The End of Time, Tennant's Doctor was all '?!?! how are you so advanced Oodfolk SOMEONE HAS FASTFORWARDED YOUR DEVLOPMENT' - and then he got all distracted by the return of the Master and that and they never said what had been messing with the Ood. Don't know if they'll go back to that, though I hoped that they'd explain it at some point...

Heehee, I'm waiting for Torchwood... US Torchwood at that. Should be more epic now that they've combined with US productions.

Back
Top Bottom