• Welcome to The Cave of Dragonflies forums, where the smallest bugs live alongside the strongest dragons.

Guests are not able to post messages or even read certain areas of the forums. Now, that's boring, don't you think? Registration, on the other hand, is simple, completely free of charge, and does not require you to give out any personal information at all. As soon as you register, you can take part in some of the happy fun things at the forums such as posting messages, voting in polls, sending private messages to people and being told that this is where we drink tea and eat cod.

Of course I'm not forcing you to do anything if you don't want to, but seriously, what have you got to lose? Five seconds of your life?

Doctor Who Club

The only proper way I can sum up my reaction to this episode is my mind is a bottle of nitroglycerine and this show is a sledgehammer. On fire.

I finally reached the last episode of season 4.

Dear lord someone hold me. ;_;

Ten, I will miss you so...

[spoiler tags everywhere because I really don't want to ruin anything for anyone]

Oh god, I know ;; I watched the S4 finale today (hurr, I've watched nearly every ep of newWho in the last five days) and
it's so saaaaad. I do love Ten (and RTD)'s goodbye tour, though - the Alonso nod with Jack is wonderful, and I adore that he saves Luke from being hit by a car when crossing the road - the kids on SJA walk across the road like that all the time without looking either way and it's no way to teach kids road safety! - and getting Verity Newman's (her name! :D) book signed was super-sweet. I can't not yell at the screen over the frankly idiotic desicion to pair up Martha and Mickey, though, what was THAT? Martha was already engaged to Tom, who seemed really cool, and Mickey should've continued hanging out /having epic subtext with Jake.

But if we're talking actual S4-finale (the Stolen Earth two-parter),
then yes, I was so sad at the end of that. I completely adore Donna, and what happens to her is so heartbreakingly sad, and the fact that the bits preceeding her near-mind-melt were so happy (I get a bit teary-eyed every time I see the Tardis being flown the way it was meant to be flown) that the mood whiplash makes it all even worse ;;

Also, on a rewatch of the Silence of the Library, it gets sadder and sadder the more you know about River's relationship with the Doctor. First time I watched it, I wasn't too bothered. Now it's really quite depressing. I forsee a day when it actually makes me cry. "One last run" indeed ):

But Saturday's episode!
I was wrong, there was a sort of Baker and Tennant cameo. Sort of. It's very clever and I managed to miss it amid my squealing first time. Actually, with THAT ENDING, I managed to forget about the whole rest of the episode because the reveal at the end was SO IMMENSE, but it was actually really, really good. I loved that a combination of humans and gangers were left alive at the end, and the Doctor swapping with himself (I actually guessed that, but I was watching it by myself, so there was nobody to tell me how clever I was ):), but, again, THAT ENDING. AAAHHHHHH. Seriously, that's all I can come up with, and it's like the third time I've edited this post XD

Last edited:
I finally caught up with the latest episodes and fdjsakfdskfjakf THAT WHAM JUST TOPPED ALL THE WHAMS IN HISTORY.

But I have to totally agree with Dannichu Donna was my favorite, and seeing her go like that was depressing. ;_; Also the last minute hook up between Mickey and Martha was really really dumb. I mean, I can totally get pairing the spares, but really? And Riverrrrr, she has tragic character written all over her. We'll soon find out if she is...

And ohyes, the Baker and Tennant cameo. I found it epic that Ganger!Doctor was all over his history like that. And then he died. I'll miss seeing two Doctors. :C

I really can't wait for this week's new episode. It looks absolutely epic.

I wasn't mad keen on The Rebel Flesh as a standalone episode (it seemed a bit all over the place - especially with Jennifer, she was swinging wildly from 'I'm afraid, hold me Rory!' to *punch in the face* to ;0; to 'WAAAAR' like woah) but The Almost People made me like it loads more as a set. I loved the whole discussion over the Flesh's claim to humanity. The face-stretching was a bit naff but the Jennifer-monster was disturbing as, and I enjoyed that they did a lot with the characters of blood-clot lady and acid-dad (names escape me) in a relatively short space of time. Also huzzah for Rory a) not dying for an episode and b) being a sweetheart and a Ganger freedom fighter.

(Mega-spoilers below for the end of episode six. Don't even think about it.)

The end was kind of... mad. Just whuuhhh. What the crap eyepatch lady, that has got to be the most stressful way of getting someone to deliver a baby. You are an awful midwife. 'Pussssssssssssssssssh.' D: ffff

How long d'you reckon Amy's been... you know? I kind of hope it was from back when the Silence abducted her for a bit; I don't think we ever really found out what they were even doing. Although I have no idea what they'd have to do with eyepatch-woman.

(Okay, safer from now onwards. Just inane speculation.)

So. RIVER SONG. Seriously beginning to bug me. :v All the hints they've given seem to indicate that her character is work-out-able with what they've given, but I can't think. I think we can rule out a family member of the Doctor's since she was well up fo snogging him. If we're going by Russell T Davies' Doctor-Time-Lord-sensing-ability mentioned after the Master turned up the first time, we can also assume she's not a Time Lord...? Which would also mean she couldn't be the little girl... /brainmelt

If she does turn out to be his wife that's got to be the biggest double-bluff in history.

All in all I expect I'm overthinking it, but it has been three years in the making and it is (should be - don't you have been lying to us, Mr Moffat) going to come out in matter of days. Overexcitement is unavoidable. Oh, and I am both looking forward to and preparing to despise the cliffhanger finale. I'm still nursing feelings of resentment towards Steven Moffat for the Sherlock finale stunt.

But I have to totally agree with Dannichu
Donna was my favorite, and seeing her go like that was depressing. ;_; Also the last minute hook up between Mickey and Martha was really really dumb. I mean, I can totally get pairing the spares, but really? And Riverrrrr, she has tragic character written all over her. We'll soon find out if she is...
Yeah, Donna is easily my favourite new companion, too. Then Rose, probably? On a rewatch of TEoT, I find myself more and more annoyed that Donna didn't do anything. She starts to remember, is the only non-Master person on the planet, and then just... falls over? I spent the entire time I watched it for the first time expecting her to wake up and save the day in some manner, but she just stays unconcious the entire time. The plot would've been in no way different if she'd turned into John Simm along with everyone else, and that annoys increasingly with each watch.

With the Doctor's line "You think I'd leave my best friend without some kind of defence mechanism", I can handwave the fact the Doctor's spent ages over two episodes emphasising that if she remembers, she'll be dead only to basically go "LOL, J/K", but the best friend thing is adorable, but at the same time a title that belongs to Sarah Jane.

I agree with just about everything Kinova said, especially about The Almost People although I thought it was pretty strange how quickly Rory sided with the Flesh and nobody brought up his time as an Auton, which I thought would be an obvious link to make - he's spent thousands of years as an 'almost-person', the guy can sympathise.

But to join in the specualation, the first time Eyepatch Lady (I love how that's how she's named in the credits) appeared was, I think, The Day of the Moon, so I think she might've been changed sometime in the 3-month gap between that and The Impossible Astronaut. As for the baby/River, whooo boy, I haven't got a clue. The RTD-established Doctor's Time-Lord-Detector poses problems about either the baby or River being Time Lords, but I'm sure they could come up with an easy way to handwave that - Jenny's still running around somewhere, after all.

I want to find out what River's done that's so bad, as well. Has it been established that she's killed someone, or is that my mind playing tricks on me?
I still want River to be a future incarnation of the Doctor. I know how little sense that makes.

I dunno, I think we might find out who the baby is next episode, but don't expect we'll know who River is until at least the end of the full season. The only thing that makes me think we'll find out in the next few years is that River's meant to be getting younger, and if Moffat holds out for too long, poor Alex Kingston'll be in her 80s XD

I genuinely think there'll be a heard-across-the-world scream of anger, confusion and frustratation from the United Kingdom following the end of Saturday's episode XD

Dannichu:

She's in prison for killing "the best man she ever knew", or something along those lines.

Ah, sadly I can't click on your tempting spoilers! I've only just started Season 3. But um, my... my... Doomsday... I'm just so totally upset about Rose leaving, even more than the Ninth Doctor, who I still prefer to the Tenth, to be honest. She really was one of my favourite characters and I don't know how this Martha Jonse woman is going to compare. From what I've seen of her thus far, she seems kind of... dull. Although Donna in the Christmas Special was pretty funny, I liked her slapping the Doctor and am aware she returns later. Honestly, I would've been okay with having Donna replace Rose early on than Martha Jones, who sort of to me just seems sort of crammed in there and out of place.

Although Rose comes back for a short time, so I'm looking forward to that. Seriously, such a sad episode. I would've been crying if my sister wasn't in the room. Totally did not expect any of the events to happen the way they did.

Yup, Martha's primary characteristic is being boring. :D And hell yes, the world needs more Nine fans.

Eeeeee DONNA <333 Love her so, so much <3

I disliked Martha quite a bit during my first watch, and couldn't understand where on Earth the Rose-haters were coming from. But now I both like Martha a lot more, and have cooled off just a little towards Rose, though I still love Rose more. Martha gets some great episodes, though; she's sort-of there in Blink, and gets Gridlock and the Family of Blood 2-parter.
But I'll never understand anyone who dislikes Donna. And I don't think I've ever met a Who fan who doesn't adore Sarah Jane.

I was never particularly in love with Martha. I am a Rose fan for life. I seriously think Rose is the Sarah Jane of the new series... minus the real Sarah of course.

I actually rather like Martha! She is a tad boring, I guess, but you can't make a great tv show sandwich without some bread among all of the lettuce and cheese. Rose always seemed kind of... snooty? to me. I like her well enough, but she seems like the most snarky and mean of the companions sometimes.

Episode 6: W-w-w-w-WHAT? So Amy has been Flesh for how long? And how did she get to the, erm, for want of a better term, maternity ward? That episode was fantastic (Watched a week late since I was away all last week), but mighty confusing. Confusing BEYOND normal Doctor Who confusing.

I finally get to see The Almost People! Been long enough... *starts staring at clock*. I hate this BBCA! Serious! Now the episode is ruined because every damn site has spoilers and I hear things and the episode is pretty much ruined. Seriously sucks.

Aaaaaahhhhh that was good. Very good. I *loved* everyone coming back, and although the *big reveal* was a little obvious, it was lovely to see it realised. I've just realised that the Cyberman at the beginning has nothing to do with the plot. Huh. Some great lines, too; we had a big old laugh about the doctor being able to speak baby XD

My biggest WTF??? during the whole episode, though, was the name of the next episode. I don't even.

Really massive spoilers coming through.

RIVER IS AMY'S DAUGHTER. CALLED IT. And eew headless monks. Should've expected it, though. Also, no Jenny. ;_; We may have had butler!Jenny but we need another gun-toting time lord.

Also, I got a Mass Effect feel for this episode, well, the recruiting bit anyway. A disgraced sontaran nurse with apparently excellent breastfeeding capabilities, a Victorian silurian Batwoman and her cute human butler and a fat, old, blue black market dealer. Oh, and a bunch of pirates and the Lone Centurion.

I want a spinoff of Madame whatserface, the silurian Batwoman. Anyone catch her name? I was too busy gawping at her swords.

Once again, wat.

EDIT: THEORY TIEM.

River kills Rory. Melody is raised in the Gamma Forest, visited by the Doctor a la Kazram, but he stays for a while longer. Her first language is Gamma.

Why? She kills the greatest man she's ever known. Two key words: greatest man. Man is taken literally, as in human. And the greatest man in your life? Your father. The second and third bit is all in her name; River can't pronounce "Melody Pond" in Gamma because it doesn't exist in her, or anyone else's vocabulary in that area. So the Doctor lets them work it out; the nearest thing to a pond there is a river. And the nearest and simplest word to Melody is Song. River Song. Another fact: the Doctor sometimes calls Amy by her last name. That may have transferred onto little Melody, hence why her name is River and her assumed surname is Song.

And now to debunk this theory: River doesn't kill the Doctor.

Now that we know that River is part-time lord, and Amy's daughter, we can therefore assume that she's the girl in the suit, because she was to be made as a weapon against the Doctor. Now, since the Doctor presumably succeeds in rescuing Melody, that doesn't happen. However, they have her DNA. As far as we've seen, the flesh is an important prop. Having a flesh version of the weapon you wanted can be good enough, maybe. So a theory, unsupported as it may be, is that the child in the suit is a ganger of Melody. Why can't it be the real Melody? River emptied a revolver at it. She must have known it's not her, because you don't fire six killing shots at your younger self. Also, her reaction in the bar. She genuinely didn't know.

Although if we are to take this the other way, the ganger Melody killed the Doctor, the Good Man who went to war. The man who raised her. The man who flies through time and space inside a wooden box. The greatest man who ever lived. So in a way...

River kills the Doctor.

Moffat, you cheeky devil.

Last edited:
Can I say I called it too? I KNEW IT! What I don't get it
the Doctor can sense other Time Lords, how come he couldn't sense any of the versions of River????

Also these Time Lords need to make a visit to Maury.... seriously.

Also Chameleon Circuit's new album is coming out, tis called "Still Got Legs" and the band has some new additions.

Last edited:
Remember that technically, River isn't even a proper time lord. She is, as the computer showed, Human+. So she just has the physiology, but not the essence.

Yeah that episode was awesome but 'Let's Kill Hitler' is going to drive me insane because that is not a name for an episode. Really. Really? I just can't.

Yeah, the title threw me a little too at first, but when you think about it, it does sort of work in an almost ironic fashion. Which I know probably doesn't make any sense. But oh well.

Incidentally,

I got the idea that the little girl is Amy's daughter, but is also River. I don't know why that came to me, though!

Yesss I was right. Except not necessarily for the part about the spacesuit girl!

But yeah, I really liked that episode. I thought it was a very nice way to round off this 'half' of the series... And a nice way to make the reveal, too. Also, I'm glad that they used the Headless Monks, who were previously mentioned in season 5 (Specifically, the Doctor said the museum where they found River's message was 'The last resting place of the Headless Monks')!

Back
Top Bottom