• Welcome to The Cave of Dragonflies forums, where the smallest bugs live alongside the strongest dragons.

Guests are not able to post messages or even read certain areas of the forums. Now, that's boring, don't you think? Registration, on the other hand, is simple, completely free of charge, and does not require you to give out any personal information at all. As soon as you register, you can take part in some of the happy fun things at the forums such as posting messages, voting in polls, sending private messages to people and being told that this is where we drink tea and eat cod.

Of course I'm not forcing you to do anything if you don't want to, but seriously, what have you got to lose? Five seconds of your life?

Does a God of ANY KIND exist?

Just like the Ancient Greeks had no other way to explain lightning and assumed it was Zeus throwing lightning bolts in displeasure?

The Ancient Greeks were pretty intelligent, but they too were flawed. So is every human "race" (race is a shitty term) up until now.

I am one of those that believes humanity will never get it right. We will endeavour and find out, and I agree with Eevee insofar as atheism vs theism goes, and I too believe things are subject to change and cannot be always written in stone, but I think in the end everything will be rewritten, rewritten, rewritten, and we will know more, but not everything. In the end, whether God even exists is irrelevant. We are such a tiny dot on the blank canvas of infinity that the existence of whatever God is an irrelevant notion.

We are so small and meaningless; why would God even care for this little oblate spheroid revolving around a somewhat larger oblate spheroid in the middle of some galaxy? We aren't special, people. Nothing this world has is special. In fact, I think we are pretty fucken mundane as far as planets go. No extreme temperatures. Everything nice and manageable. No weird things like metals sublimating. In comparison to even something like Jupiter, the Earth is tame. I'd be far more interested to see how some God shaped Jupiter.

Mundane? Pieces of matter suddenly waking up and thinking 'OMG, WHAT CRAZY SHIT DID I SMOKE LAST NIGHT?' and tottering around under its own power? Fragile bags of thinking water debating over whether this universe has some sort of cosmic superbeing?

And this is mundane?

No other planet in this solar system (with the possibility of the moon known as Io) has it's own, self aware little amalgamations of matter. This place is the most interesting rock in the entire solar system, if only because of the ingenuity of it's life forms.

Everything else has the same old reactions between atoms and gases being baked (or frozen) in a hyperdense stew of non-complex molecules, and you think that's interesting?

Please excuse me for a moment, while I freak out.

++FATAL ERROR++PLEASE REINSTALL UNIVERSE AND REBOOT++

Mundane? Pieces of matter suddenly waking up and thinking 'OMG, WHAT CRAZY SHIT DID I SMOKE LAST NIGHT?' and tottering around under its own power? Fragile bags of thinking water debating over whether this universe has some sort of cosmic superbeing?

May be weird to somebody invading the solar system from the Andromeda galaxy, but considering I do this every day, I don't find this weird at all. Yeah, life is a sweet invention. But alive beings are fucking assholes, that's just how it is. I don't think our planet is all that special. It's what we have been brought up to believe, but I don't see why our nice teachers so absolutely have to be right.

And this is mundane?

Quite. To be honest our planet is just a small bunch of rocks with some blobs of matter that happen to have evolved "speech" and "sapience" and much of these terms. But we are made from the same ashes as everything else. We're pretty nice ashes, but ashes nonetheless. You gravitate towards surfaces. Always, always humans gravitate towards surfaces.

No other planet in this solar system (with the possibility of the moon known as Io) has it's own, self aware little amalgamations of matter. This place is the most interesting rock in the entire solar system, if only because of the ingenuity of it's life forms.

Life forms that eat and kill each other to survive. Like they always have done and they always will. Their methods have evolved, but not their purpose. We are all still cavemen, we are all still bacteria, just tweaked over time to adapt better to our surroundings. We are not special. Yes, we have some pretty nifty tools. But that's fucken it. If all we have to show for as a civilisation is some material skill, we're a pretty fucken pathetic race. I still have not seen the moral shift necessary that would require ingenuity in my view. Have we ever resisted our primal urges to reproduce? Have we learned how to be truly altruistic? No, we haven't. Yes, we're a little bit special because this planet has life. But life may exist elsewhere (though unknowingly) and I don't consider us superior at all.

Everything else has the same old reactions between atoms and gases being baked (or frozen) in a hyperdense stew of non-complex molecules, and you think that's interesting?

Call me a weird type of scientist, but yes, those "simple" reactions you speak of require such ingeniously huge amounts of energy they are far less mundane on any scientific scale. It is not the "simplicity" of reactions that counts and makes them mundane. It is not any one single trait that makes any planet mundane. But the meteorological aspects of Jupiter, the huge Saturn ring system, the tidal locking of planets; are these not brilliant aspects of the universe? Yes, biological life is extremely complex. Yes, it is a nifty evolution. But it wouldn't exist without these simple reactions. You owe physics and chemistry one, bud.

Please excuse me for a moment, while I freak out.

Do as you please.

++FATAL ERROR++PLEASE REINSTALL UNIVERSE AND REBOOT++

You encountered the blue screen of death. May the mundane earthly waves crash over you.

Oh, I disagree with you both! You may find the inner workings of living organisms interesting, or the sciences of physics and chemistry fascinating, but complexity is - first of all - too subjective to be a good matter of debate, and - secondly - relative, and must be compared to something. What do you have to compare to? Everything around us is more complicated than we can ever understand; comparing the incomprehensible to the incomprehensible won't get you anywhere.

Everything is simple on the surface, but the deeper you delve into it...

We are so small and meaningless; why would God even care for this little oblate spheroid revolving around a somewhat larger oblate spheroid in the middle of some galaxy?

I really dislike this 'Why would God care' reasoning; if God is this almighty deity that people are arguing about, then you can't really apply our reasoning to his/its reasoning - supposedly he is pretty much better than us in every way (hence: god). You're basically saying 'if I were God' - you're not, that's why he/it/whatever is a god. If he was able to shape the universe and do all that other jazz (make Jupiter, etc) then he's presumably on a different plane to the rest of us underlings, which is what pretty much every religion that has a god says about it. Gods are always painted as 'better' in some way - even the bad ones. That's the idea.

Not that I believe in a God or whatever, that just bothered me enough to argue.

It's not even God. On a map of the universe, we are utterly and completely insignificant. Just imagine a big fucking sphere with a tiny dot that says "You are here." Then look up at the sky and see that it never ends.

Well, if God did exist and he was indeed almighty, then he would be capable of caring for us as well as anyone else in this universe.

A better analogy: imagine the universe as a droplet of water a mile high, and a mile wide. If you took the most powerful of microscopes and tried to find out which miniscule speck was Earth, you'd never be able to find it.

Alternatively, to get a sense of the scale of things, you could watch this.

And M3wk!ttyz technically only had one more grammar error than you (she, too, left out a comma, and also forgot to capitalize her "i"). The real problem with her post is that it doesn't make any sense whatsoever. :|

EDIT: Also, it does have relevance to the topic. She's answering the question in the thread title.

Last edited:
Shut the fuck up about minimodding. It's stupid to minimod, but you're not much better if you're doing it yourself.

"Does a God of ANY KIND exist?"

LOL. That question will get you nowhere my wondering and pondering friend.

A brief note...

I just find this debate section sooooo disdainful. It can be so corrupted `n' all that ya know? So that's why I'm going to post a message just as bad. I mean seriously - that's how bad it is! It's like the concept of God, yo! Unicorns and shit. Wanna play sum Pastafarian logic (or fallacy moar liek it) ? XD

Seriously, anybody interested in the ideas that this post presents - go ahead, and act curious around me. I can't group people who posted in this debate section of real open minds with the adamant minded ones. But sarcasm and uproar is imminent. It's just how predictable this forum section could be. The ones who are adamant, the way you acted with disrespect will only invite more disrespect, so yeah. Get to know this side of me and junk.

Oh... There is a God in fact. Indeed. I HAVE FOUND TEH TURTH.
i will now speak -my- truth
take it or leave it
treat this as
a grain of
salt
<3

Start with simple questions.... (I mean like, fuck, questions are way important - you know? you just need to ask yourself the right one, yeah?)
Because when it comes down to these kind of things...
Simple maybe well be the best! haha

First.. The most best and deepest question is....

"Who am I?"

SHALL YOU VENTURE INTO THE PLEXUS OF NOTHINGNESS (my-my collective confusion is not my type of learning and understanding)? OR SHALL YOU FIND THE FUCKING ANSWER THAT WAS IN YOU... THE WHOLE TIME?

LOL, THE IGNORANCE OF OBJECTIVITY! THE IGNORANCE OF THIS WORLD. IT IS QUITE IMPECCABLE HOW SUCH HUMANS OF MANKIND CAN BE SO IGNORANT!
OR YOU'RE JUST GONNA HANG ONTO YOUR IGNORANCE? ANYBODY RELIGIOUS? LIKE MAINSTREAM SHIT? LOL, DON'T THINK ABOUT TRADIN' YOUR STUPIDITY (stupid like the fellow flurry of atheist snarkies here) FOR `NOTHER. HAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAA.
RELIGION AIN'T THE TRUTH. ATHEISM AIN'T THE WAY OUT, YOU'D BETTEH FIND A NEW WAY OUT... OF THE SYSTEM!

shock shock shock to your s-s-s-s-s-s-s-s-s-s-systems

SCIIIIIIIIIIIENCE. SCIIIIIIIIIIIENCE!!!!!!?????????? IT IS TEH TURTH? LOL! YOU NEVER HAD EVEN EVER VENTURE INTO THE ~~~~~~~~~~****MYSTERIES****~~~~~~~~~~~ SO HOW COULD YOU FUCKIN' **KNOW** THE TURTH?

reality? REALITY? ????????????????????????????????YTILAER

PAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAA.

** KNOW. BELIEVE. CERTAINTY. FAITH. IT DOES NOT MATTER. WHATEVER YOU GIVE INTO. WHATEVER IT IS. LIFE IS RELIGION. MANKIND IS LIMITED BY THEIR KNOWLEDGE AND AWARENESS. WHAT IS OUTSIDE OF THEIR UNDERSTANDING AND LOGIC (or logicks) IS SOMETHING YOU CAN NOT SIMPLY DISPROVE. **

SCIENCE AIN'T FOR EVERYTHIN'.

SO SEARCH... KEEP SEARCHIIIIIIIIIIIIIIING!!!

HEY. AGNOSTIC PEOPLE. YOYOYOYOYOYYOYOYOYOYO. UNSURE? STILL UNSURE? PLEASE, LIKE I SAID, KNOWLEDGE HAS ITS LIMITS. you BETTER FIND A new WAY OUT, YO! HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAA.

NOW...

ideas...

whoah holy fuck u better becareful how u handel ideas liek this yo

i mean
ideas are like
half the battle
logick is the other
i am here to present these ideas
nothing is ever 100% disproven
so u better chill
ideas can like
blow up the world
u no?
it's that fucking insane.

to ever really use your mind and heart (but the snarkies on this board would rather use their dick in replacements of their hearts, yo)

hahahahahahahaahahahahahahaa

CHAAAAAAAAAAAOS!!!

HAHAHAHAHAHAHA!! THE CHAOS OF ENLIGHTENMENT SPREAD!!
CRUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUSADER!!

LET THE AD HOMINEM CORRUPT. YO, I AM LIKE, SO READY FOR THE SARCASM. SARCASM MAKES MY BALLS JIGGLE. WOOHOO. LOOOOOOOOOGICAL FALLACIES! WOAH! OH YEAH. HAWT SEX! ^w^
***​

Anyways. There you go, enjoy. There's my absurd and really abstract contribution to this topic. I hope any of you foolish enough would get the idea I'm talkin' about. Anybody gotta hollah?

Good day to you all.

`Scout

"Who am I?"

I am myself; a human who goes by the alias of GameFreakerZero.

SHALL YOU VENTURE INTO THE PLEXUS OF NOTHINGNESS (my-my collective confusion is not my type of learning and understanding)? OR SHALL YOU FIND THE FUCKING ANSWER THAT WAS IN YOU... THE WHOLE TIME?

Please use your inside voice.

LOL, THE IGNORANCE OF OBJECTIVITY!

The ignorance of looking at the world without a subjective opinion?

RELIGION AIN'T THE TRUTH. ATHEISM AIN'T THE WAY OUT, YOU'D BETTEH FIND A NEW WAY OUT... OF THE SYSTEM!

I don't think anybody claimed atheism was "the way out". It's just the idea that there isn't a god of any kind, anything else is just an addition to this central position.

SCIIIIIIIIIIIENCE. SCIIIIIIIIIIIENCE!!!!!!?????????? IT IS TEH TURTH? LOL! YOU NEVER HAD EVEN EVER VENTURE INTO THE ~~~~~~~~~~****MYSTERIES****~~~~~~~~~~~ SO HOW COULD YOU FUCKIN' **KNOW** THE TURTH?

Could you elaborate on this and make your point more clear please? I'm having trouble deciphering the point of this paragraph.

MANKIND IS LIMITED BY THEIR KNOWLEDGE AND AWARENESS. WHAT IS OUTSIDE OF THEIR UNDERSTANDING AND LOGIC (or logicks) IS SOMETHING YOU CAN NOT SIMPLY DISPROVE.

Hey, we can try can't we?

SCIENCE AIN'T FOR EVERYTHIN'.

I don't think you understand what science is; it's knowledge, the truth, understanding. If something doesn't fit into our current understanding of the workings of the universe, science will try to fit it in. Science isn't something set in stone, it's constantly changing to adapt to fit the truth.

nothing is ever 100% disproven

And nothing is ever 100% proven, what's your point? There's a point on either end of the scale where we can go, "okay that's most likely correct" or "that's most likely completely wrong" and we take the former as the truth and the latter as false.

(but the snarkies on this board would rather use their dick in replacements of their hearts, yo)

What. We'd rather use our brains to think, thank you very much.

Anyways. There you go, enjoy. There's my absurd and really abstract contribution to this topic. I hope any of you foolish enough would get the idea I'm talkin' about.

I didn't even get the point other than the general message of, "you're all wrong, hahaha, anarchy". Could you please elaborate so your point is a bit more concise and clear, this debate would do better with arguments rather than attempts at philosophical ramblings.

Last edited:
Scout, you need to rewrite that post into something remotely decipherable. Right now we can't understand your post, as you said, not because we are not intelligent enough, but simply because you've phrased it badly.

I think you might have us confused with Keanu Reeves.

Scout, you need to rewrite that post into something remotely decipherable. Right now we can't understand your post, as you said, not because we are not intelligent enough, but simply because you've phrased it badly.
Yeah, alright.

But first, allow me state my position here... On why I did this...
I see two major possibilities involved:

1.) My perspective will be ignored. All or most for lost. Gone. Crickets chirp. Nothing happened. And... I don't care.

or...

2.) Some people are going to think in other ways. Some people learn something from me and I learn something from them.

Eeh.. Personally, I just don't really care for this board anymore. I just presented a really outrageous post (plus that was my 69th one, ftw) to get this started. Maybe I asserted too much. My points will not be clear but... I want people to look outside the realms of religion and science in this topic - examine the question of the topic and look at the World in a bird's eye view.

I am myself; a human who goes by the alias of GameFreakerZero.
Alright.

There's a lot of concepts on what God is. Right here, I'm not talking about "a man in the sky looking down at us" - I'm talking about if one could come up with their definition of God. "Does God exist?" is a common question.

I don't think anybody claimed atheism was "the way out". It's just the idea that there isn't a god of any kind, anything else is just an addition to this central position.
If you believe in the idea that a god does not exist at all, nothing, nope - all are just obsolete - then why not come up with your own? I'm not really saying a person should grow their own religion and start rapidly defending it, lol.

I don't think you understand what science is; it's knowledge, the truth, understanding. If something doesn't fit into our current understanding of the workings of the universe, science will try to fit it in. Science isn't something set in stone, it's constantly changing to adapt to fit the truth.
Science is a method. It is a method to discover information, but there's a lot of things that do not exist in science. But yet, science is treated as if everything can fit in the method of science... No, not really. There's a lot that doesn't exist in science.

The ignorance of looking at the world without a subjective opinion?
I'm not talking about going for subjectivity. The kind of objectivity I'm tackling here is always about proof. Materialistic proof. You can call it hardcore proof if you wanna.
A, "I had a lucid dream."
B, "Got proof?"
Is that subjective for the person who experienced it? No, it's real for the person. Do you think science can adapt to that?

Can science really adapt well enough to truths that do not exist in science?

There's a lot of things that do not exist in science. And there are other way of methods that could be done to discover knowledge.

And nothing is ever 100% proven, what's your point? There's a point on either end of the scale where we can go, "okay that's most likely correct" or "that's most likely completely wrong" and we take the former as the truth and the latter as false.
I'll get back to this later.

I didn't even get the point other than the general message of, "you're all wrong, hahaha, anarchy". Could you please elaborate so your point is a bit more concise and clear, this debate would do better with arguments rather than attempts at philosophical ramblings.
No, I'm not saying you're all wrong. That'd be silly.

I think you might have us confused with Keanu Reeves.
Ok.

What. We'd rather use our brains to think, thank you very much.
I remember seeing a member in this topic saying there might be something out there here. And I don't think it came from fear... it's intuition.

There's a lot of concepts on what God is. Right here, I'm not talking about "a man in the sky looking down at us" - I'm talking about if one could come up with their definition of God. "Does God exist?" is a common question.

The bare basics of a deity is that it consciously created the universe, as far as I know.

Feel free to correct me on that though.

If you believe in the idea that a god does not exist at all, nothing, nope - all are just obsolete - then why not come up with your own? I'm not really saying a person should grow their own religion and start rapidly defending it, lol.

Why not come up with my own? I don't feel the need for any creator other than my own parents.

Science is a method. It is a method to discover information, but there's a lot of things that do not exist in science. But yet, science is treated as if everything can fit in the method of science... No, not really. There's a lot that doesn't exist in science.

Please give an example of something that doesn't "exist in science". Like I just said, science isn't set in stone, it changes to fit the truth of the universe. If something is shown to exist, and there is no doubt in its existence, science will change to encompass it.

I'm not talking about going for subjectivity. The kind of objectivity I'm tackling here is always about proof. Materialistic proof. You can call it hardcore proof if you wanna.
A, "I had a lucid dream."
B, "Got proof?"
Is that subjective for the person who experienced it? No, it's real for the person. Do you think science can adapt to that?

Well yeah that fits the definition of subjective perfectly actually opal's opinion on dictionary definitions be damned.

There's a lot of things that do not exist in science. And there are other way of methods that could be done to discover knowledge.

Propose them then. If you're right and you discover something huge you'll probably become one of the most famous scientists of all time, if not then oh well.

Back
Top Bottom