• Welcome to The Cave of Dragonflies forums, where the smallest bugs live alongside the strongest dragons.

Guests are not able to post messages or even read certain areas of the forums. Now, that's boring, don't you think? Registration, on the other hand, is simple, completely free of charge, and does not require you to give out any personal information at all. As soon as you register, you can take part in some of the happy fun things at the forums such as posting messages, voting in polls, sending private messages to people and being told that this is where we drink tea and eat cod.

Of course I'm not forcing you to do anything if you don't want to, but seriously, what have you got to lose? Five seconds of your life?

Dreams

I'm sooo sorry we're not keen on listening to a random ominous voice in our dreams that never explains themself, Powehi. Fine. Summoning us is straining the world. Tell us how to expedite helping this world. We were called here to aid it and its going to be hard to leave without doing that.

What of all the other humans who ended up here and formed their club? And what of Jesse or the one who came before us, a feline, do you know where they are?

Last edited:
I was hoping we could have a positive working relationship, but if you’d rather be adversarial, so be it…

Pokemon are being abducted, being twisted against their will, and sent out to attack their friends and family. This Cipher organization appears to be growing in strength and reach, and what do you do? You whisper in Seth’s ear and turn him against us before we’d even had a chance to meet. What do you gain by making us all fight? How does that further your goal of protecting the world? What’s even the point of protecting the world if you’re blind to the suffering of the Pokemon who inhabit it?

Seth is suffering under the throes of his own shadow corruption. Can’t you do anything to help him, or do you just not care? You seem content to let him risk life and limb for you, picking away at the edges of the problem you should be focusing on. Instead, you bluster about us being threats to the fabric of reality. We’re not your enemy. If there’s something we can do to reduce the strain we’re having on the world, we’re all ears. If it’s simply a matter of finishing the business we were summoned for quickly, then help us do that.

… You said we had to master the darkness in our souls. You said we’re playing out the first act of a tragedy. But you’re the master of shadows here, not Cipher or anyone else. If anyone is qualified to help us master our inner demons and turn this story around, it’s you. So why not work with us, rather than issue threats from afar? Please...

Last edited:
You. You.

I’ve never said a damn thing about wanting to leave. Not once. I barely even admit it to myself. So how do you know? Can you read our thoughts? Let me guess, you’re just “good at reading people”? Sounds like a uselessly vague answer you’d say.

Well, enough with the vague bullshit. If you’re so concerned about the fabric of “space-time” or whatever, then what you should be worried about is Cipher. You know, those guys who made a portal and can walk freely between this world and theirs? If anybody’s responsible for putting a massive strain on this world, it’s them. We are not your enemy. And if you were actually doing your job of protecting this world in the first place, we wouldn’t be here.

So tell me, why aren’t you worried about Cipher? And if you’re not gonna say anything helpful, then get the hell out of my head. I suck at sleeping enough as it is.

You talk of protecting the world, but from what I can see you're directly linked to the forces of shadow plaguing Forlas. Correct me if I'm wrong, but there is a contradiction here. Who are you truly?

What can I say? Ominous warnings kinda wash right over me nowadays. It’s also not in my best interest to immediately jump on listening to random cryptic lucid dreams I have, but whatever…

I’ll keep it short and simple. Provided you even know these answers.

Are you the same kind of entity as the thing that brought us here? Do you know the entity that brought us here? What would we even call your kind? I’d appreciate it if you were straightforward, since we’ve done the cryptic song and dance enough already.

Last edited:
The dream-messages the Wayfarers had heard – and often shared – so far had been vague, foggy experiences. Those from Betel had felt ethereal, gentle, and bright. Those from Powehi had been tense, feverish, and murky. None had given the dreamers much impression of place, or sensation, or of anything but the voices and the feelings they elicited.

This dream, however, now faded into greater clarity. A beach of soft, silver sand. A starless sky. A still, black sea, stretching into an endless distance, with no clear horizon. Scarcely a whisper of wind disturbed its surface. It smelled faintly of salt, and of metal. All the Wayfarers were here – of those that had remained on Forlas – very much like they had been in the Spirit Nexus when their mission began. It was peaceful, after a fashion, if you held your nerve, but holding one's nerve would be challenging, when simply being there brought one's darker feelings to the surface...

Be still.
...but something held them in check, took the edge off the anger and fear and sorrow that they might have felt. Made it easier to bear.

I will tell you the truth. You need only listen to it.
Powehi's voice had been only an impression in the previous warning dreams, but now it was clear, as easy to make out as Betel's messages in the Nexus, or in a dungeon. He did not sound blustering or angry. He sounded calm – calm, like the surface of an underground lake. Calm, like the vacuum of space. Calm, like ancient, sun-bleached bones.

I know exactly what Alex & Xander are. They are a tool, and nothing more. Kill them yourself, if you wish.

I did not ask Seth to fight you; you did not need to fight Seth.

I am not the same thing as that which you call Betelgeuse.

I accept that you intend to remain on Forlas until you complete your task. If you wish to help repair this world, begin by destroying Cipher. You are already on that path. Whatever you may believe, my only priority for some time has been the undoing of Cipher. However, the longer you remain and the stronger you become, the more you injure this dimension simply by inhabiting it. If you should ever come to terms with the danger you pose to this world, then you should end your own lives and choose never to return. Your souls will go back to your old bodies, and remember nothing of this.

This is all you need to know... but you are contentious, intractable, and thirst for knowledge. I will quench that thirst.
The very ocean itself seemed to draw breath as Powehi prepared to speak. Even the sound of sand under paw was muffled by the psychic pressure of the Shadow entity's dark voice.

Before time began or matter spun in the expanse of space, this world's creator drifted, unborn, in its Astral Plains. It was they that dreamed the material plane into existence. Their dreams of light birthed the stars. Their dreams of belonging birthed life. They dreamed all things that are here. All things... including Shadow.

Like mortals, gods have nightmares, too.

What you call Shadow is a soul's energy – which is called Aura – transformed by despair. In truth, Shadow is made by all souls in trace amounts, as they feel anger, sorrow, hatred, fear, or pain. This is a natural part of this world, as it is in many worlds. Still, most never wield Shadow energy, even if they should suffer greatly. Only in extremis can a soul be closed off, to become a singularity of suffering. Their aura collapses in on itself until nothing remains but darkness – this is what it is to be a Shadow pokémon.

In ordinary souls, Shadow does not linger, but dissipates into the Astral Plane. Being Aura, this Shadow remains the stuff of souls: an energy that can feel. All of Forlas' souls together, across unrecorded aeons, have produced a vast ocean of Shadow energy. This ocean, on which shore you stand. This ocean, which is called Dark Matter.

This ocean, which is ME.

I am Powehi, and I am not blind to the suffering of this world's pokémon.

I AM the suffering of this world's pokémon.

That so? Okay. Then surely you must understand why that gives me even more impetus to take anything you say about this whole 'stability' thing with a grain of salt. If you're some... negativity embodiment, then how can we know your whole approach to this situation -- or way of thinking in general -- isn't clouded by your very nature?

Maybe there are solutions to what's going on that you won't even consider because they clash with your very being...

Why do we pose such a danger to this world? If people from other worlds hurt this one so much, why does there seem to be such a history of offworlder heroes here?

Do whichever entities summon us simply not care about the damage they might be doing?

"Thank you. Was that so hard??"
The words spilled out without him really thinking.
Koa gazed out at the endless expanse of dark ocean, his thoughts deserting him for a long time. (So much to think about. Too much. He couldn't absorb it all. Or anything.)

"We need to find someone named Jesse and a feline that were brought here before us. Did you summon other them and heroes in the past or was that someone else? How did so many other humans get here?"

Last edited:
A Treecko stood in the vast ocean of darkness with a slight, pensive frown. This changes little. If anything, it could be a benefit...

"What of the Charmeleon, Owen?" Mhynt asked, her fingers digging into her arms only once before she calmed herself. "Is this corruption within him permanent? Do we have to kill him to free him of that blight?"

"Thank you. Was that so hard??"

Yes.
The pressure seemed to ebb and flow, as if the boundless dark ocean were breathing, after a fashion. This place was airless and immaterial, yet the energy here felt alive.

I did not summon Alex & Xander. Neither did I summon Jesse Stranger, or Starr Sakari.

I do not summon souls from other worlds. It is a shortsighted solution for immediate problems that inevitably leads to further harm. Each soul's entry strains the world, and the strain grows greater as they remain, until the world can accept them as a part of Forlas. It is only after a soul has spent more than half their life in Forlas that their energy may naturalise.

If it were my call alone that mattered, there would be no summoned heroes except in the most dire of avoidable catastrophes. But Auriga has scarcely listened to me for over twenty thousand years. There are rules, at least. Only one soul at a time, as young as is reasonable, and they must be encouraged to leave once their work is done. With the intrusion of Cipher into Forlas, and your recent arrival, more souls have entered the world from outside it in the past year alone than have in the past millennium.

...I am connected to the Shadow in every soul. This gives me a strong connection to wielders of Shadow, but it does not let me control them, if they are not my vassals by choice or by my own making. The Shadow pokémon are tragic victims. Seth is an ally of necessity. Alex & Xander are an asset. And you are a grievous risk. Your good intentions cannot change this.

Charmeleon Owen is not a certain lost cause. Still, the chances of recovering him are slim. Be prepared to fail.

You may imagine that my way of thinking is clouded by my nature if it pleases you. I do not mind. I have met my moral obligation by telling you of the simple fact that the integrity of the material plane weakens with every soul that arrives. If the summonings continue, the rifts – mystery dungeons – will multiply and expand, and distortions shall cleave through time-space.

Believe what you like. Mortals always do.

Mhynt took in the information and provided little in response. The others were talkative enough to handle it. Instead, she settled into a listening posture, arms still crossed.

Not entirely a lost cause, but still someone to fight. Someone who had fallen to darkness despite everything. "Oh, Owen," Mhynt murmured to herself. "How it all repeats... How will you die this time?"

Steven stared out over the ocean. Suffering. So much suffering. Yet he'd felt the shadows' touch. It was a part of everyone. It was a part of being alive. But becoming a shadow wasn't. What Cipher was doing-- what they'd done to Seth-- was wrong, unnatural.

"So if Cipher is closing the hearts of pokemon, they're cutting you off from your source?"

He shook his head.

"Still, someone called for help, and we answered. If you want us gone, if we need to leave, then help us help the one who was in such dire need that they broke the rules to bring us here."

An ocean of shadow, speaking to them in their dreams. An ultimatum, to expel a shadowy organization from this world, and then leave. Jade absorbed the information with a somber feeling in her gut, eyes drifting out over the empty sky as she felt smaller with each passing word from the shadow entity. Until…

Starr Sakari

Silence. Maybe Powehi kept speaking, maybe the others replied in kind, but to Jade there was nothing but the cold echo of those two words over the ocean, and the buzzing in her own head.

What had Sierra said, back at the camp…

‘She had a warrior's spirit, and great potential, but spoke of herself as if she were her own enemy.’

It was too specific to be a coincidence. Not when Jade was here herself.

That was her. That was her. Jade’s head spun from the sheer dizzying impossibility of it. Both of them, here, in another world. Without meaning, she found her brain trying to imagine her friend as a black-and-red firecat.

‘She could not recall her past, but she was once human, and a trainer of pokémon.’

Starr was here, somewhere, lost with no memory of her human life, and all at once Jade felt the least and most lonely she had since arriving on Forlas.

Some of the things other people were saying finally registered for Nova. Wait, why was Mhynt asking about the zweilous? The same one that a couple of other Wayfarers intended to work with to learn about controlling their shadows? And that stuff about the charmeleon who'd attacked the caravan-goers.

The null walked over to her. "Uhh... are you okay?" he whispered to the treecko.

Mhynt looked away with a somber expression. "...You are a prisoner to the whims of another, yes?" she said. "...We have... something akin to that in common."

The implication was clear enough. And since she wanted one dead and the other saved, Nova didn’t have to assume much. “Did he make you a shadow pokémon like me, too?”

Mhynt's expression said the tale. She looked down, thoughtful. "...And now... Owen is a victim instead." Her fist clenched into her arms. She didn't know how real wounds were here but she was close to causing one onto herself. "...He will pay for this..."

Back
Top Bottom