• Welcome to The Cave of Dragonflies forums, where the smallest bugs live alongside the strongest dragons.

Guests are not able to post messages or even read certain areas of the forums. Now, that's boring, don't you think? Registration, on the other hand, is simple, completely free of charge, and does not require you to give out any personal information at all. As soon as you register, you can take part in some of the happy fun things at the forums such as posting messages, voting in polls, sending private messages to people and being told that this is where we drink tea and eat cod.

Of course I'm not forcing you to do anything if you don't want to, but seriously, what have you got to lose? Five seconds of your life?

Sojaveña Wilds Escarpa Clan Camp

Then she answered that there was nothing she was willing to give to call off a fight proper. This, too, was a test. Mhynt didn't approve of treating this with such a dual purpose, but she was in no position to criticize it. She had a workable path. It was time to operate under those parameters.

"Thank you," she said. "Then I'll go. If anyone else wants to catch up with me, be fast."

She offered some kind of salute to Sierra and disappeared in a flash of light.

Ghaspius righted himself once more, but his wispy tendrils seemed to stay in place as though they were falling upwards. "Wasn't she mortal 'fore all this? Ya think she'd at least pass on how to use that light someone, no?"

His hair fell back to its usual place as he light smile fell to a frown. "Reclusive, huh? Can't imagine the Stormbringer passin' was any help," he said as he lowered his head. "My condolences. Know that was long ago, but, still."

The Misdreavus cleared his throat as he looked back up. "No doubt she might join us, but might be good to catch up with her and fill her in on the situation 'fore she charges in, right? Even Saints ought know the lay of the land when they act. She personally know anyone that's still around?"

Sierra didn't even flinch at Mhynt teleporting away. She had Ghaspius to answer, next.

"The Light was once mortal, yes. Luxray Luz, of the Escarpa. She succeeded the previous Light and became the Soja's protector for many generations..."

There was something shifting in Sierra's eyes. A kind of wistfulness, perhaps – or quiet dread.

"She and I met, once," she repeated. "She asked something of me, and... I said no. And she said she would return one-score years later. It has now been twenty years since that meeting. Very nearly twenty years exactly. I am counting on it."

Ghaspius took a quick glance behind him as he processed just how much of their group left to stop the railway destruction. A wistful smile pursed his lips; they could make it happen without him. His sister always was the one better at taking action, anyways.

He turned back to Sierra. "Luz," he repeated, chewing on the name, "I'll have to see if her name comes up in any 'townie' records." He tilted his head. "Very specific timin' there. Could she have known all this was gonna happen...?" It was more of a musing than a question, but he wouldn't pass up any more information if he got it.

The Misdreavus took a few blinks. "I won't pry into your personal matters," he said as he adjusted his scarf as though it were a necktie, "But if there's anything — anything y'all know that can help out with the shadows situation, please let us know."

Ghaspius bowed his head. "I swear it on my spooky life that we want to save everyone from those demons, too."

Well, this was all very vague, and Sierra sure had been quick to decide they might just resort to murdering the lot of them if they couldn't figure out how to save them. Dave exhaled slowly through his nose, teeth clenched. "Well, if this Radiance thing is the one lead we have for how to cure Shadows, really sounds like we should be looking into that," he said. "You don't want to get into the details, fine, but if you've met her and think she should be returning right about now, do you know anything at all that could help us find her or get her help?" He glanced towards Felin. "And you said something about an abbey?"

He glanced towards Felin. "And you said something about an abbey?"

Felin bobbed her head up and down in a nod. "And if we hope to find her we best get to it soon. Wandering Light doesn't sound like a kind of mon to stay in one place too long, you know?"

She'd skidded towards the tent tarps before Dave could give an answer, only sparing one more glance at Dave, urgency in her eyes.

"Let's catch up more after stopping a train disaster from happening," she said, and then she was gone out the tent and giving chase.

Sierra watched Felin and any others who elected to go with her, a faint and subtle fascination discernible in her gaze. Then she brought her attention back to those that stayed.

"I doubt the Light knew this would happen, Ghaspius of the Sun. Some say the Saints have an intuition for disaster, but I think there is simply always some crisis, and some things are only coincidence. She said she would come find me again, and I believed her. If she spent time at Obstine Abbey, it's not impossible that she's still there... or she may already have departed to come to me here."

Sierra's usually focused expression drifted to the side as she contended with whatever it was that was bothering her about her meeting with the Light twenty years ago.

"You offworlders. 'Wayfarers'. You swear on your life. Would you give your life? For the common good?"

"Ah, didn't meant to imply she knew the details specifically; just that 'something' was comin'," Ghaspius corrected himself as he raised a tendril in a placating gesture. "Sorta like Absol and their knack for sensin' danger, ya know?"

He blinked at the sudden question as he lowered his tendril. "Depends on what the 'common good' is, with all due respect." His eyes turned up as a hint of resentment towards a memory surfaced. "I've been told 'common good' means 'whatever keep the money flowing'. I've been told it means 'whatever benefits the group most'. Always their own, 'course."

The Misdreavus closed his eyes. "I was an alchemist 'fore all this, ya know. Been workin' my whole life to finally make the one panacea to cure all illnesses then give it to everyone for free. That's a greater good to me." Red eyes gazed into Sierra's own. "'Course I'd give my life to make somethin' like that happen. I'd do it without hesitation. But I ain't gonna do it 'cause some authority told me. I'm gonna do it when my heart knows it'll stop the suffering."

"You offworlders. 'Wayfarers'. You swear on your life. Would you give your life? For the common good?"
And now she was asking the question.

Andre felt, very strongly, that this was something he had to answer, and he had to answer it right. Yet he would also have to mean it. He would have to believe it wholeheartedly, believe that he would give his life - not just his presence here, his life - for the common good.

But I can do more alive, a thought said. It claimed to be logical, but really, it was cowardice. If he really was a good person, he wouldn't let his fear make excuses. He would do something bravely, no matter how it hurt him.

But I don't want to die.

He clenched his jaw. That was the wrong answer. He had to make himself understand, deeply and viscerally, why the lives and freedom of other people mattered more than his.

He thought about people, happy people. Parents hugging their children. Lovers embracing. Artists creating. Things that would take place if he sacrificed himself. He thought about people, suffering people. Violence. Violation. Death. Things that would be avoided if he sacrificed himself.

In the end, it wasn't really that hard a choice, was it? It was.

He stared deep into the luxray chief's eyes and spoke one word.

"Yes."

Jesus, getting real dramatic up in here. Ghaspius's answer was... the most sensible thing he'd ever heard out of that guy's mouth, actually. The Deerling, Andre, went on some kind of facial journey but then put forward a big emphatic yes.

What exactly was Sierra talking about? Was this some gotcha, a 'you said yes to the vague question that sounds lofty and noble, so now we expect you to do something monumentally stupid, and if you don't you're going back on your word and we're justified in disdaining you'? Did she think people would stand here in front of someone asking that question and just go nah, I'm good, I'd never act for the good of other people?

"I mean, yeah, that depends a lot on what 'common good' we're talking about. In principle, obviously laying down your life for the good of other people is great, very heroic, but also, my kids got placed under what's basically permanent house arrest for the purported 'common good'. Most of the time people call on others to give up their lives for the 'common good', that's frankly a red fucking flag. If people are going to risk their lives doing something, it should be on their own terms. What's the cause we're talking about here?"

The Escarpa chieftain listened carefully, giving each speaker her full attention. Her brow creased as Dave spoke of his kids under house arrest, then she briefly wore a dry smile as he made his points about who could call on whom.

"Alright," she murmured. "I don't mean to be... enigmatic. I'll part the clouds for you."

She glanced momentarily upwards and mouthed something to herself.

"...The Light has chosen me as her successor. I am to become the new Light, after centuries of duty on her part, to allow her to finally rest. If I do as the Light asks, I will be the one giving my life. Giving up my life, I should call it. Still, it feels like a kind of death – to walk away from my clan, my pride, my pasttimes, and go about the Soja'... bearing a title, rather than a name."

Bellatrix, having listened closely on the ongoing conversation allowed her ear to twitch with curiosity. "It is a heavy burden," she stated plainly, offering sympathy but refusing to coddle. "Only you can make that choice. But what I wonder is, do the clanners have some degree of power over this 'Radiance' in order to fend off the demons of Black Water or is it only something that can be attained by finding speaking to the Wandering Light yourself?" she asked, head tilting slightly.

"Well, ya certainly fit the part," Ghaspius said with a somber smile as he tried to lighten up the room. "Like Bells here said, it ain't an easy choice to make. The fact that you're considerin' it shows character already. That's somethin' to be proud of."

His brow furrowed as he tilted his body to the side. "Still, I'm a bit confused here. Pardon my ignorance, but what sorta duties would ya be responsible for that takes ya away from your clan? Couldn't ya at least stop by and say 'howdy' every now and again?" To most, it was obvious from Wandering Light's absence that something was pulling her away, but Ghaspius wasn't putting that together. "And why can't ya use your name along with your title? Ya know, like... 'Sierra of the Light'?"

Sierra said:
Giving up my life, I should call it. Still, it feels like a kind of death – to walk away from my clan, my pride, my pasttimes, and go about the Soja'... bearing a title, rather than a name.
For a moment, the veil of authority that separated Sierra from them seemed to rise somewhat, at least to Isidora's eyes. It's not the same thing. Not even remotely. But still, she knew how it felt to be faced with that. But do you really? You ran away.

She placed a paw on her belt. "Do what you can take pride in." Those weren't her words. She stole them from someone better than her. "But it's not my place to give you advice."

She was still somewhat torn about whether to follow to assist the others at the railway, but with the question of Radiance in the air, she decided to trust they could handle it for now. This was what she was here to learn about.

"Hm. There may not be a way to be entirely ready to forsake personal ties, while one still has them."

Sierra's decades-long contention with the possibility of taking a Saint's mantle would not be solved in a brief conversation with strangers. But she acknowledged their comments without objection, at least.

"You want to know about Radiance, in practical terms. Alright. It is a mysterious power, but even mortals can achieve it through... excessively strenuous exertion of their spirits. Or if they are a lord or lady of the wild, wild 'mon being more primal in their powers. One must almost empty their mind of anything but their pure intent, and push their aura to the limits of what their body can stand. For many, Radiance comes only in extremis. The Saints have a greater potential to use Radiance without destroying themselves, being divine, but..."

Sierra concentrated, her pupils contracting sharply, her jaw setting with effort.

The ground beneath her paws pulsed with light, rippling out like a raindrop hitting still water, golden and bright.

The sensation of it stung the Wayfarers' paws.

"...with enough training, and meditation, one can learn to wield it somewhat. We can only hope that if the Wandering Light does not appear, and the demons prove invulnerable, that we can call on Radiance in the face of defeat. Still, I have faith in my clan's martial strength."

Ghaspius's eyes fell to the floor as he acknowledged the hidden meaning behind Sierra's words. There was no simple solution to this one, no matter how much his heart yearned for it. Just like back home, huh?

He slowly chewed on her words before letting out a yelp as the stinging sensation nicked at his cloth. He swung himself into a curled up position, and he blew on his skirt as though the edges had been struck by light embers. Realizing that he was not actually on fire, he let out an exhale as he set himself back into position. Though he did take a step back.

"R-right, agreed," he said as he let out a chuckle. "Spooky, but pretty stuff, gotta say." His smile returned, though it was a bit smaller than usual. He looked down at the golden paws before gazing right into Sierra's eyes.

"A strenous test, huh? Well, you asked us if we'd give up our lives for the greater good, right?" Ghaspius let the unspoken request to be tested and taught hang in the air.

Isidora took a shocked step back as the light burned underneath her, tail fanned out and fur bristling. She was lucky she was wearing sandals, and she still felt it. Her eyes fixated on Sierra's paws.

Focus on intent, push aura to limits... If she could just figure out that second part, then it sounded fairly easy on paper. But it looked as if Sierra had to strain herself for it. And you already tried doing that, didn't you? That's how you found... it.

Calming herself down and sheathing her claws, Isidora focused on the rest of the luxray's words. "You said 'without destroying themselves.' So there's a drawback to using it?"

Sierra nodded gravely, and made eye contact with Isidora. The Luxray's stare was near-hypnotic at times.

"Radiant auras are unstable unless the light becomes self-sustaining. Volatile. An undisciplined wielder of light can become inebriated from the energy flowing through them, and make... foolhardy decisions."

Her expression grew dark.

"The stories say that heroes who use Radiance can overcome impossible odds, but at the cost of their life. The light consumes them in a solar conflagration. Some myths say that this is what happened to the Sun – she called on limitless Radiance to defeat the darkness, and in doing so, burned herself up from it."

In spite of all the talk of light, Ghaspius's expression couldn't help but darken. Still, he flipped himself over hoping to turn that frown upside down. It didn't really work.

"This is all startin' to sound a bit familiar..." Though he dared not mention the shadows by name. He shook his head along with those haunting thoughts. A ghost needed spooks, not scares.

"The brightest of candles burn out the fastest, no matter what world it is, huh?" He offered a meek smile that looked oddly somber in his current position. "Much as I'd like to say, 'I meant what I said, now let's get started', fact is I ain't the brightest tool in the string shed. Don't doubt gettin' drunk on light will help much."

The Misdreavus turned back towards the others before looking at Sierra once more. "Still, I think there's a few fine folk in our crew that could and should handle it."

His tendrils curled in uncertainty. "I'd like to do what I can to pass that knowledge of wieldin' to them, too, but I understand if y'all see that is foolheardy in of itself. More than anythin', I just wanna know a bit more about how it works for when we fight together. Like, 'self-sustaining' and 'volatile'. What do ya mean by that?"

"...The Light has chosen me as her successor. I am to become the new Light, after centuries of duty on her part, to allow her to finally rest. If I do as the Light asks, I will be the one giving my life. Giving up my life, I should call it. Still, it feels like a kind of death – to walk away from my clan, my pride, my pasttimes, and go about the Soja'... bearing a title, rather than a name."
Dave blinked at Sierra. Okay, what the fuck. This 'saint', an immortal legendary Pokémon, just went tag-you're-it on a random mortal every now and then? Now you're supposed to leave behind your whole life and become a traveling superhero deity? And even though she'd said no, that just meant snoozing the notification temporarily? Jesus Christ. Surely in twenty fucking years the Wandering Light could've found somebody else.

He very nearly opened his mouth to speak, but if they were hoping to form an alliance with these people, getting into why their god was an asshole might be counterproductive, and Sierra seemed all too happy to move on from the topic after a few platitudes from the others. It was really fucking tempting, though.

At least they were finally getting into the meat of things with Radiance.

The ground thrummed abruptly with stinging, buzzing heat as ripples of light pulsed from her paws, sending a weird shudder through him, almost electric but not. This wasn't any fucking Pokémon move he'd ever heard of.

"Radiant auras are unstable unless the light becomes self-sustaining. Volatile. An undisciplined wielder of light can become inebriated from the energy flowing through them, and make... foolhardy decisions."

Her expression grew dark.

"The stories say that heroes who use Radiance can overcome impossible odds, but at the cost of their life. The light consumes them in a solar conflagration. Some myths say that this is what happened to the Sun – she called on limitless Radiance to defeat the darkness, and in doing so, burned herself up from it."
He raised a skeptical eyebrow. The sun? "Are we talking the sun sun, or some Saint or other that's associated with the sun?" God, he hated not even being able to say for certain that the sun wasn't literally just some Pokémon who used too much of a power. Had they invented space telescopes here yet?

By the sound of it Radiance was basically alcohol on steroids that also gave you superpowers and could cause spontaneous combustion, which was a fucking concept. It might be a miracle no one was using it outside of a select few. Didn't bode well for how easy it'd be to learn to use it.

"Well, either way, if you've got Radiance, that's good, right? So if the fighters knock out the Shadow Pokémon, they can be brought to you to purge the corruption, or whatever?"

Back
Top Bottom