• Welcome to The Cave of Dragonflies forums, where the smallest bugs live alongside the strongest dragons.

Guests are not able to post messages or even read certain areas of the forums. Now, that's boring, don't you think? Registration, on the other hand, is simple, completely free of charge, and does not require you to give out any personal information at all. As soon as you register, you can take part in some of the happy fun things at the forums such as posting messages, voting in polls, sending private messages to people and being told that this is where we drink tea and eat cod.

Of course I'm not forcing you to do anything if you don't want to, but seriously, what have you got to lose? Five seconds of your life?

Sojaveña Wilds Escarpa Clan Camp

Bellatrix eyed the pooling light carefully before it dimmed and faded. "Is there any way to teach or pass on that power?" she asked. "One that doesn't require years of tutelage?" she looked out of the tent, eyeing the time of day. "As I doubt we have the luxury of that time."

Sierra flexed a paw, and wrung it out as if the brief demonstration had left her with pins and needles.

"I... will make an attempt to cure the Shadows. There is no telling what will happen when a demon is exposed to Radiance. And I am willing to expose one of you to the energy to see if your body and soul will accept it. If you truly were summoned, it is possible you can handle it."

She eyed Ghaspius.

"A Saint – or some other true master of the power – can safely handle enough Radiance that it becomes a continuous flow, rather than consuming their energy until they burn out, or abruptly flaring as they exceed their tolerance. This is the volatility I mean – just as a fire will grow to consume the fuel it is given, Radiance will consume as much of you as you give it. And when drunk on light in the midst of battle, it is ever-easier to give it more and more in search of victory."

The Luxray smiled ironically at Dave.

"The Sun. An ancient hero. That's the Wardens' concern, though."

Ghaspius returned to a normal position to give a proper bow — or facsimile of it with his floating form. "Thank ya kindly for the info and time, Chieftain Sierra Escarpa."

He raised a tendril. "So it sounds to me it's like a oxidizing agent on the soul. Unless you have plenty of antioxidants on hand or are doin' it in a controlled environment, electrons will keep givin' and givin' and spreading the givin' 'til it's stable. Or in this case, soul keeps givin' til it can't give no more." He took every opportunity he could to nerd out about his passion.

The Misdreavus turned to the others, then floated forward.

"If I'm gonna be any danger to anyone while we do this, then I want everyone else to stay clear. Otherwise, let's try this out." There was not a hint of hesitation in his half-lidded gaze. But then again, it was hard to tell if there was much thinking going on behind it, either.

At the luxray's explanation, Isidora brought a paw to her chin. So it makes you drunk on it, and then kills you? Could be worse. That cocky part of her was only thinking about how simple it'd be to work around such a drawback: she had plenty of experience with powers that kill you, there was nothing to worry about here. Though the gravity in Sierra's words pulled her back down, if only a little bit. If it tricks you into using it more then I can see how it'd be a liability in battle, at least.

Sierra made an offer to test Radiance on someone. And then Ghaspius floated forward. Her eyes widened. Wait is he-

"Hey," Isidora cut in and took a step toward him before crossing her arms. "You sure? You even have any experience with powers outside your moves, or are you just askin' to get hurt?"

Her feathered ear started to tilt back slightly. She needed to be rational, it didn't matter who tested- But this is important to me, dammit! "Because if you're even the slightest bit unsure, then I'll test it. Powers of the soul were my thing before I came here, I can handle it." She hoped she looked and sounded more calm than she felt.

Last edited:
Fortunately for Isidora, the Misdreavus wasn't the most observant of folks. "Nothin' of the sort, just figured y'all would need more warriors than anythin' should things go bad," he nonchalantly explained with the tilt of his head. "Still, I won't get in the way of expert opinion. If this is somethin' ya want to handle, by all means."

Ghaspius floated back a bit and nodded to the Sneasel in approval. "'Course, if it ends up being better to test with two, I'll still volunteer." A specter of a smile curled on his lips. "But I think the groovy gal's got this one. I wouldn't want folks tryin' to cramp on my brewing, either."

Andre listened intently to the explanation of Radiance. The ripple of light beneath his hooves had made him flinch, but if this power was the key to solving the Shadow crisis, he couldn't afford to be afraid of it.

Not even with how it was described. Requires full focus on one's intent, pushing your body to its limits, the will to resist its intoxicating effects lest it burn you from the inside out. Could he really do that? He was prepared to give it his all, but he wasn't sure if that was good enough. His character could simply be lacking. His will, corruptible. And what would happen then? Would he, wielding that power, lose sight of how important it was to suppress any possible urges that might arise? Would everyone see who he really was? What he really was?

It could never come to that.

But there was really no use thinking that far right now. He already got beaten to the punch as the person to be tested by Sierra, and if Isidora failed... that almost certainly meant no Radiance for anyone. And it'd be back to square one.

Sierra didn't laugh at Ghaspius' jargon, but something about her thin smile seemed momentarily amused by it. Then she padded towards Isidora with sober intent.

"Let's see how you handle the light of Radiance, then, Sneasel warrior."

The Luxray put a massive paw out and touched it to Isidora's shoulder. Motes of light flickered into existence around it, and that same golden pulse of Radiance from before rippled across Isidora's body.

The feeling of it—! If Isidora knew what it was like to hold one's paw over an open flame, or chug strong liquor, or stare into the sun, then she might think of those things to describe it. It touched the skin and muscle of the body, but the soul, too. Extraneous awareness was stripped away, the Sneasel's thoughts scoured into intense simplicity by the exotic energy. Shadows in the dark of her mind burned into nothingness. Feelings in her heart became amplified, uninhibited, unfiltered.

Those in the tent would see Radiance shine from Isidora's eyes and mouth – for however long as she did not pull away...

Isidora gained +20 Rad!

Last edited:
Isidora watched Ghaspius float back, actually a little surprised by his answer. Does anything phase him? She nodded back. "I appreciate it."

Sierra approached and Isidora felt herself tense. Sudden doubt flickered at the back of her mind. This wasn't her soul she was dealing with, it was something else. But you can handle it. You can handle it. You-

Paw made contact with shoulder and Isidora's world exploded. It felt like burning and it felt like stinging and it felt like too many things she wasn't prepared for and then it touched something she hadn't felt in a long while and in response her mind screamed on instinct. Danger!

Isidora tore herself away from the point of contact. Her eyes screwed shut and her claws flew to her burning shoulder. Impulse guided her actions, her mind intensely aware of what it needed to do. Make it stay away! Don't let it touch that!

With surprisingly sudden ease she concentrated, tense and focused. She felt it rippling underneath her skin and blazing across her aura. What was it doing? "D... don't..." she squeaked involuntarily. There was only one thing she knew how to do here but she was going to make it work. She needed to control it, to make it listen to her. Deep breaths. She imagined the sensation of tearing her claws in and ripping it away from her soul. She imagined squeezing it out with every ounce of force she had. What it would feel like for the warmth to concentrate on her shoulder as a result. Her claws became the guide, and the scar on her arm became the conduit, and then she pulled.

The sneasel opened her eyes, and remembered where she was. Her breathing was still heavy. She saw Sierra in front of her, and felt something stinging her right paw at her side while her arm stung too with pain. She looked down, and for a brief moment caught her claws glowing before it faded, though the burning in her chest still lingered. Despite everything, her eyes shone with wonder. "D-Did I do it?"

Last edited:
"You're all shiny n' stuff!" Ghaspius trilled as he performed a little spiral upward in delight. He hissed as he got a bit too close. "A bit too bright, maybe!" He chuckled before blowing on his skirt again.

After he gathered himself and lowered back to eye level, he asked, "Feelin' alright? Nothin' too painful, I hope?"

"Not bad. Particularly for a civilian."

Sierra smiled – properly, this time, albeit still more reserved than most.

"I regret than I cannot give others the practical use of Radiance. I only have the most limited mastery of it myself, from nurturing a tiny flame of it for many years since I met the Light. You cannot learn it like you would any other power. But if Radiance would mean the difference between a rout and a victory... then our priority must be to find the Wandering Light."

'Our' priority. Was Sierra only talking about her clan, or had she implicitly aligned herself with the Wayfarers with that statement...?

A mental flicker had the gathered offworlders blinking as Betel's voice entered their minds. More assertive than usual, as if they were projecting their voice to be heard...

Can you hear me, everyone? Betel, here!
That Radiance that Luxray Sierra exposed Isidora to...
...I am now quite certain of its properties.
It is the same energy which is innate to me.
It is the antithesis of Shadow; each kind of energy is anathema to the other.
It will be maximally effective against Shadow pokémon.
I suggest you locate Zeraora Luz expeditiously.
[ ] Campaign Objective: Locate the Wandering Light, Zeraora Luz.
Betel sounds a little different... It seems they are now capable of designating non-combat objectives for the party!​

Last edited:
A wide grin stretched over Ghaspius's features. "Nah, don't worry 'bout it none; we've got a knack for learnin' from each other. A little bud that's helpin' us."

A light, delighted gasp escaped Ghaspius's mouth as he heard said little bud bloom with a new conviction. "Zeraora Luz...?" He repeated aloud without thinking.

He nodded his head in confirmation both to Betel and to Sierra. "Right, let's go find this Wandering Light ASAP, then! Somethin' is tellin' me that Radiance is gonna pack one wicked wallop against those shadows."

He chuckled, before mentally adding, 'Or someone. How ya doin' bright Betel bud? Ya seem a bit more serious than normal!'

I am fine, thank you, Ghaspius!

I
am feeling quite serious, as it happens. My experience of handling Shadow-type energy was unpleasant, but instructive. I am aware of certain things about myself that I previously was not, regarding my personal character and my responsibility to you heroic spirits.

I must rise to that responsibility.

Bellatrix was about to pipe up and ask if Sierra was actually capable of bestowing this power over Radiance after seeing the display with Isidora, only for her tongue to be held the moment the luxray continued. A brief flicker of disappointment crossed her features that she was quickly able to return to neutrality upon hearing Betel's voice.

'Hello, Betel. Is it possible to hone into or somehow track sources of Radiance?' she asked, looking towards the roof of the tent. 'If this Luz is the only one able to bestow such a thing, then that would indicate that she bears a high quantity of it.'

Back at Sierra, Bellatrix took a couple steps forwards. "I want to be able to handle this Radiance when we manage to find the Light but I must know what to expect to prepare for that moment." She glanced at Isidora then back at Sierra. "Show me," she stated, determination seeping into her gaze.

Sierra said:
"Not bad. Particularly for a civilian."
A cocky grin grew on Isidora's face. "Well, yeah. I told you I could handle it." She barely even remembered the moment she spent afraid of it. It wasn't clear to her what she had actually accomplished, or even if she accomplished anything at all, but she felt good about it. Figuring this out was going to be easy. Take me to the Wandering Light and I'll accomplish a lot more than just a party trick next time.

Ghaspius said:
"Feelin' alright? Nothin' too painful, I hope?"
Isidora relaxed her stance. "Yeah, I'm fine. It just stung a little, that's all." She could still feel traces of it burning out in her chest, and she was pretty sure that the pain on her arm wasn't just metaphysical. But that was trivial.

She stepped back to where she had been standing before volunteering herself and watched Bellatrix with interest, unable to wipe the smile off her face.

She'd landed at Sun's Ward and had heard the stories of its keepers, so Prim had some context for the ancient radiant hero's feats. A power so great they built a temple for you when you were spent by it... Not bad. With luck, no one here would be getting spent, but it was good to know—this wasn't like shadow, a power that augmented its bearer and became concerning only as it spread. This was strength at another order of magnitude. A power that equipped a single person to change the world single-handedly; save it, one would hope. But perhaps not.

In the hands of this many of them, each Wayfarer a vessel she understood (based on what they had heard of the power of offworlders) to be without a bottom... Even being a Wayfarer herself, she wasn't sure if she trusted their party with that much power. Some of them were children. She wouldn't slide them a glass of whiskey, let alone one that would let you level a mountain.

"You met this Light and entreated her to grant you this power, somehow," Prim said carefully. "I'm guessing she doesn't hand it out to anyone who asks. And no offense, I'm sure your reputation is great, but I'm guessing she didn't hand it out on hearsay either. And I'm sure us being offworlders is a source for reasonable skepticism. If we're going to roll up to her doorstep asking for her power, I imagine she's going to ask us to prove our intentions. I want to be prepared for that. What should we expect?"

Much as she liked a good tussle, she prayed the answer wasn't "beat her in a fight." This was a power that needed to match virtue, not raw strength. If she was handing it out to anyone who could pack a wallop... they might have bigger problems than the shadows to face down the road.

Last edited:
Dave watched warily as Sierra placed a paw on the Sneasel's shoulder and... Isidora freaked out, jerking back, claw to her shoulder like it hurt, yelping Don't! He jumped, hackles rising, ears flattening, his own shoulder stinging with phantom pain. "What the--"

But then, after a moment of fierce concentration and heavy breathing, she opened her eyes again, claws glowing with a bright, warm light. And then there was Betel's vote of confidence. Isidora brushed off the whole thing as just stinging a little.

"So exactly how much do we have to worry that Isidora's going to spontaneously combust, here?" he asked, eyes sliding back to Sierra. "Clearly you're still here. Any tips for how not to get 'consumed by the light'?"

Sierra regarded the Wayfarers evenly, and set to answering their questions with continued patience.

"Don't overexert yourself, use it for protracted battles, or for any unnecessary reason. Remember that it affects your mind in much the same way as drinking, fasting, or going without sleep. If you meet the Wandering Light, she may be willing to grant you the power in this time of crisis, since you were summoned to this world just as the Shadows grow around us, but she is wary of anyone who seeks power, or who is in any way... irresponsible. I did not seek her out. She came to me, and asked for my assent. I told her I needed time, and she respected this. I suspect she would not have bestowed her mantle on me had I jumped to agree."

'Hello, Betel. Is it possible to hone into or somehow track sources of Radiance? If this Luz is the only one able to bestow such a thing, then that would indicate that she bears a high quantity of it.'

That is a good question, Bellatrix. I have been considering this very matter.

I believe I will be able to identify a strong Radiant aura if there are ever enough Wayfarers with flared auras nearby, or if one is found close to my anchor point in Silver Ravine. This is insufficient for learning an individual's location in a timely fashion! I recommend that Wayfarers undertake missions to emplace anchor points at two or more additional Mystery Dungeons. Following this, I should be able to identify the general location of unusual souls with much greater reliability and precision, so long as they are within the area between those anchor points. I suggest the minor distortion underneath the town of Little Scriven as a starting point!

[ ] Campaign Objective: Establish additional MD anchor points. (0/2)

Sierra, by this point, finished speaking and approached Bellatrix.

"Be mindful of your determination, Zorua," she cautioned.

Then she placed a digit to the fox's forehead, and the light of Radiance flowed into her, and every hard edge in Bellatrix's mind became razor sharp, every distraction melted in the glare of this new power...

"Noted!" Ghaspius chirped as he pulled out a notepad to quickly jot down Sierra's words. Or at least how he interpreted them, for whatever that was worth. "We'll be careful 'bout how we present ourselves, then." At least they came out of this one unscathed!

After he finished his scribbles and eyeing Bellatrix, he put the notepad away as he turned back to Sierra. "It was a pleasure to make your acquaintance, Chieftain. You've done way more for us strangers than ya had any need to; thank you kindly for that." He gave a long courteous nod — at least to the best of his ability as a floating balloon in a dress.

"We've got some ways of trailin' strange and powerful folk. Not sure how long you folk will be sticking 'round these parts, but if end up finding the Wandering Light 'fore y'all leave, we'll be sure to stop by." It seemed he momentarily forgot about the railroad demolition scheme. "In the interim, I think I know the first place to look..."

'I see, thank you. I will ensure that this will be of topmost priority.'

When Sierra approached Bellatrix, she responded with an acknowledging nod. "I will do what I must. You cannot charge into battle with a sword you do not know or trust." When the luxray's claw touched her forehead, Bellatrix allowed the power to flow through her the buzz of radiance sharpening her focus down to a single point that boiled with nothing but sheer stubborn determination.

As if to try prove a point, the zorua held still for several long seconds, trying to see how long she could withstand the power without looking reckless. It took her a generous amount of willpower to finally step back as the light continued to amplify and demand that she stay, that she did not yield.

Huh. When Sierra'd said she'd try giving one of them the power, he'd assumed she meant one.

He almost wanted to go for it, but if two other people had conveniently volunteered to be test subjects, he was happy to stay back and verify that they, you know, didn't fucking explode sometime in the next twenty-four hours.

"Either way," he said, looking back at the Luxray, "we're on good terms with some of the community leaders in Blaguarro. They want the monsters and the people who are abducting half of their inhabitants gone too, but I doubt they'd be thrilled to just wake up one morning to their hometown engulfed in chaos. I figure it's easier for everyone if we speak to them about the plan and try to get them on board with helping out and evacuating the vulnerable. Likewise, the mayoral election is coming up in Frontier Town, and while it's unlikely we're going to suddenly get a mayor who'd magically fix anything about townie-Escarpa relations, we'd at least try our hardest to not elect another fucking Ignatius Voclain. If there's some important cause or a message you'd like to get across that the townies wouldn't hear from you, maybe they'll hear it from us."

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom