• Welcome to The Cave of Dragonflies forums, where the smallest bugs live alongside the strongest dragons.

Guests are not able to post messages or even read certain areas of the forums. Now, that's boring, don't you think? Registration, on the other hand, is simple, completely free of charge, and does not require you to give out any personal information at all. As soon as you register, you can take part in some of the happy fun things at the forums such as posting messages, voting in polls, sending private messages to people and being told that this is where we drink tea and eat cod.

Of course I'm not forcing you to do anything if you don't want to, but seriously, what have you got to lose? Five seconds of your life?

Favourite Bands/Artists?

Ahaha, yeah I agree, their last album made me sad. I mean, it was good, but their old style is much more fun and enjoyable. I put down Blink as a guilty pleasure because I got sick of people coming to me "OMG THEY'RE FAKE PUNK YOU FUCKIN POSER", like I don't know how separate they are from the "classic" punk genre that, say, Black Flag belongs to. Sadly people with those kind of outlooks will never understand that music doesn't make a person xD. So really they're not a guilty pleasure. I have almost all their music on file. I guess I should start caring a little less about what conclusions people could possibly draw from me being a fan of the band, hah.

As for Pink, I like her solely because her songs are so damn catchy. U & Ur Hand just makes me wanna dance wildly when nobody's looking (and I do haha), I like "Don't Let Me Get Me", and "Dear Mr. President" or whatever her designated political song is, but I don't necessarily follow her.

Modest Mouse rocks my socks. Can't believe I forgot to put them on my favorites list D: "The View" is like my theme song.

Ah, I forgot completely about Muse. Do like them. I like SoAD too, have their first album, and the song Hypnotize. To be honest hard metal/rock doesn't always agree with me, constant screaming kinda gets on my nerves, but I can tolerate Indorphine, Cradle of Filth, SoAD, Static-X, and a few other "screamer" bands just because either the front vocalists also sing at some point or the vocalist has a "nice scream". If a song is just 5 minutes of a guy screaming in an impossible to understand, gravel-in-a-trashcan scream, I have to turn it off.

Never had the pleasure to see Muse live, but I have seen Oppenheimer, They Might Be Giants, and Genesis when they got back together for a reunion tour. Phil Collins is probably almost 70 and he still sings like he used to in the 80's. Amazing. It was the best concert I've been to so far.

Saw Lewis Black live too, but he's not a musician. XD.

My Chemical Romance is okay. The Black Parade is catchy, I absolutely LOVE "Ghost of You", "I'm not Okay" makes me laugh, and I have two whole albums of them on my computer but I usually skip them when the song comes on my playlist.

I also rather like Buckethead and Primus. Nottingham Lace is one of the coolest instrumentals I've heard, next to the stuff my dad does. He's pretty good with acoustic 12 string. And electric. And banjo. I played Nottingham Lace for him once and he started playing along halfway through - he never heard it before. I'm pretty sure he hears in perfect pitch, because he learned a lot of Leo Kottke's tunes by ear. :D

The Cliffs of Dover by Eric Johnson always gets me. Love it.

Last edited:
Ahaha, yeah I agree, their last album made me sad. I mean, it was good, but their old style is much more fun and enjoyable. I put down Blink as a guilty pleasure because I got sick of people coming to me "OMG THEY'RE FAKE PUNK YOU FUCKIN POSER", like I don't know how separate they are from the "classic" punk genre that, say, Black Flag belongs to. Sadly people with those kind of outlooks will never understand that music doesn't make a person xD. So really they're not a guilty pleasure. I have almost all their music on file. I guess I should start caring a little less about what conclusions people could possibly draw from me being a fan of the band, hah.

Yeah, I usually don't pay attention to what people think of the music I listen to. Music is really not something people should be judged by in my opinion. I like some bands that you could never tell I did if I didn't tell you.

As for Pink, I like her solely because her songs are so damn catchy. U & Ur Hand just makes me wanna dance wildly when nobody's looking (and I do haha), I like "Don't Let Me Get Me", and "Dear Mr. President" or whatever her designated political song is, but I don't necessarily follow her.

I see that reasoning; her songs get stuck in my head ALL THE TIME!!!!! "Don't Let Me Get Me" is depressing, though...

Modest Mouse rocks my socks. Can't believe I forgot to put them on my favorites list D: "The View" is like my theme song.

I hadn't ever heard any of their songs until "Float On" was confirmed for Guitar Hero World Tour. (I've been following that game like a madman...I'm a madman...:grin:) It's okay, but I don't like the singer's voice.

Ah, I forgot completely about Muse. Do like them. I like SoAD too, have their first album, and the song Hypnotize. To be honest hard metal/rock doesn't always agree with me, constant screaming kinda gets on my nerves, but I can tolerate Indorphine, Cradle of Filth, SoAD, Static-X, and a few other "screamer" bands just because either the front vocalists also sing at some point or the vocalist has a "nice scream". If a song is just 5 minutes of a guy screaming in an impossible to understand, gravel-in-a-trashcan scream, I have to turn it off.

I love when people abbreviate System of a Down as SoAD. It looks like soap...or soda. Anyway, I'm certainly not their biggest fan...I'd never heard any of their songs until B.Y.O.B. was confirmed for Guitar Hero World Tour. (I repeat my comment from before about me being a madman.:grin:) Screamy stuff is the worst type of music ever, in my opinion. A little screaming here and there is fine, but contantly...no.

Never had the pleasure to see Muse live, but I have seen Oppenheimer, They Might Be Giants, and Genesis when they got back together for a reunion tour. Phil Collins is probably almost 70 and he still sings like he used to in the 80's. Amazing. It was the best concert I've been to so far.

I've never seen Muse live either, but I'd like to. The others...well, some of them I've never heard of. They Might Be Giants...Istanbul is epic; I wouldn't mind seeing them.

Saw Lewis Black live too, but he's not a musician. XD.

Interesting...

My Chemical Romance is okay. The Black Parade is catchy, I absolutely LOVE "Ghost of You", "I'm not Okay" makes me laugh, and I have two whole albums of them on my computer but I usually skip them when the song comes on my playlist.

The Black Parade is pretty catchy, but in my opinion, it's just an okay song. I'm more of a fan of MCR's "Famous Last Words", "Dead", those types. "Mama" and "Teenagers" are very strange songs, but I kind of like them.:sweatdrop:

I also rather like Buckethead and Primus. Nottingham Lace is one of the coolest instrumentals I've heard, next to the stuff my dad does. He's pretty good with acoustic 12 string. And electric. And banjo. I played Nottingham Lace for him once and he started playing along halfway through - he never heard it before. I'm pretty sure he hears in perfect pitch, because he learned a lot of Leo Kottke's tunes by ear. :D

I've heard of those people, but oddly haven't heard any of their songs.

The Cliffs of Dover by Eric Johnson always gets me. Love it.

Absolutely. That song is probably the best no-vocal song I've ever heard, and is among my favorites overall. It's so calming to listen to, but so energetic at the same time. You have good taste.:sunglasses:

Last edited:
o.0

Didn't know, sorry. *edits*

Anyway, some other bands I like are Linkin Park, The Killers, the songs by Dragonforce that don't sound exactly the same as each other, and a few others that I'll probably think of later.:grin:

Hmm...Let's see....

Linkin Park, KoRn, Metallica, Rage Against the Machine, The Killers, Foo Fighters, and Incubus.

Recent Metallica is rock, though Dom says their new leaked song is somewhat thrashy.
The new song IS thrashy. Completely pisses over everything they've done since the self titled album. Unfortunately that's not saying much, and what with all the new thrash bands popping up atm Metallica are gonna have to try a lot harder if they want to reclaim their metal throne. Pretty much any song off Evile's debut album for example destroys the new one.

and everyone here needs to listen to Ted Maul

When they opened for Akercocke or whatever, they didn't play "Forest..." live. Shame. I found it live a little later, though. Pretty good.

Metallica wasn't thrash even back in the 80s. Thrash is Slayer or Exodus or Kreator. Metallica was like the easy listening version of all that.

No offence, but that's bullshit. Look at Kill Em All, Ride The Lightning (especially) and Master Of Puppets. Even the saddest underground thrash metal nerds would admit those are thrash albums. Just because Metallica aren't as heavy as stuff like Slayer and Kreator doesn't make them not thrash. Listen to Megadeth or Overkill, just as melodic as early Metallica but undoubtedly thrash. I know Metallica sold out, I know the last few albums have been crap and that they've shat on their fans a lot, but claiming they were never thrash is just silly.
When they opened for Akercocke or whatever, they didn't play "Forest..." live. Shame. I found it live a little later, though. Pretty good.
When you're a support band you tend not to have as big a time slot to play your stuff, so they'd have to miss some stuff out. Was that at the benefit gig they did for Decapitated? lol still regret not skiving off school togo to that, that would have been an amazing show.

Stuff I can think of right now:
Iron Maiden, They Might be Giants, The Flaming Lips, Muse, Soul Coughing, Daft Punk, Judas Priest, Metallica, Kamelot, Cellador, Lacuna Coil, Pearl Jam, Showoff, The Mars Volta, Against Me!, Big D and the Kids Table, Duran Duran, Pearl Jam, REM, Rush, Gorillaz, Modest Mouse, Prodigy, Mindless Self Indulgence, KMFDM, Beat Crusaders, The Pillows, Asian Kung-Fu Generation, X Japan

I've seen live:
Van Halen, They Might be Giants, Iron Maiden, The Pillows

Back
Top Bottom