• Welcome to The Cave of Dragonflies forums, where the smallest bugs live alongside the strongest dragons.

Guests are not able to post messages or even read certain areas of the forums. Now, that's boring, don't you think? Registration, on the other hand, is simple, completely free of charge, and does not require you to give out any personal information at all. As soon as you register, you can take part in some of the happy fun things at the forums such as posting messages, voting in polls, sending private messages to people and being told that this is where we drink tea and eat cod.

Of course I'm not forcing you to do anything if you don't want to, but seriously, what have you got to lose? Five seconds of your life?

Favourite Bands/Artists?

So those are oxymoron bands or something? They're stupid but obviously awesome.

The lyrics for Morbid Angel are pretty silly, but Morbid Angel rule on all other aspects, and fits their music. Morbid Angel have real growls, their guitarist and drummer are unreal, and their songwriting is good.

Emperor have Ihsahn who is a musical genius. Emperor showed that black metal isn't all about kvlt production, but that it's musical; adding the symphonic element to create a cold, bleak atmosphere was a genius move. The production is better than say Mayhem or Darkthrone, who have equally shitty lyrics but combine it with shitty music.

That, and Ihsahn's troll screeches are low in the mix.

You see, these bands have musical merit; something deathcore doesn't. It all sounds like the same chugga chugga riffs with the same awful pig squeals over the top. It all sounds like they try to rip At the Gates and In Flames with worse vocals and more chug. I don't see how that is musically innovative. It's just noise with loud riffs, whoop de do. At least if you listen to say, Converge, the madness has a point; or if you listen to Dillinger Escape Plan, whose nutfuck music is so ridiculously technically accomplished that it becomes interesting to listen to. It's chaos, but it's controlled chaos; there's a method to the complete madness that makes it interesting to listen to.

This is opposed to your deathcore fad who just play the same boring chug riffs with no technical ability or innovativity, cashing in on the newest trend because it's what the hip people like.

Get it now? I don't care if you listen to deathcore, but please do not claim you know anything about musicality because it's almost not present in this cash cow of a genre. Like nu-metal and metalcore before it, deathcore is just the next hyped thing. Heavy music for angsty people. Don't you see what is genuine and what isn't?

Yeah they do. But I don't think deathcore is metal, and Converge/Dillinger are originally hardcore bands, which is a punk subgenre anyways.

Basically the only valid genres are these

heavy (traditional) metal / power metal (these kinda overlap)
thrash metal
black metal
death metal
progressive metal
gothic/doom metal

rest isnt metal really and a lot of crosspollination happens

i'll just post what's in my zune right now..

the beatles
beck
bjork
blondie
cat power
daft punk
death cab for cutie
death from above 1979
enter shikari (i don't actually like this that much..)
eri nobuchika
genki rockets
gorillaz
justice
lcd soundsystem
liz phair
mondo grosso
neutral milk hotel
new york dolls
nick drake
playradioplay!
portishead
radiohead
santogold
shinichi osawa
sonic youth
the stooges
takagi masakatsu
the velvet underground
weezer
the white stripes
the yeah yeah yeahs
yu miyake

there's some stuff that i haven't uploaded onto my zune yet, like minor threat and imogen heap. i'm also in the process of making a list of all the music i want to hear, and it'll expand a little.

Emperor have Ihsahn who is a musical genius. Emperor showed that black metal isn't all about kvlt production, but that it's musical; adding the symphonic element to create a cold, bleak atmosphere was a genius move. The production is better than say Mayhem or Darkthrone, who have equally shitty lyrics but combine it with shitty music.
I dunno, I like a bit of Darkthrone and Mayhem and all that when I'm in the mood. The whole thing with deliberately shitty production is a bit silly, but some of the music is actually very good, even if it's often a bit overlooked amongst all the controversy that accompanied the Norweigian second wave. Also Emperor's early stuff (Wrath Of The Tyrant and Nightside Eclipse) didn't have great production either, though I think this was probably more to lack of funds for recording than deliberate rawness.

Most of the stuff you say about deathcore is true, but remember that there are some decent bands buried underneath all the trendy scene ones. Ted Maul for example are amazing, definitely worth checking out. I agree with what you said about Converge too, though I've never really "got" Dillenger. I've heard Calculating Infinity and I didn't like it much, and I saw some of their set at Metalmania and ended up going to queue at the bar instead as it wasn't that interesting. Maybe they just had an off night as everyone else says they're supposed to be amazing live, meh.

I never said deathcore was good. I don't really know why I listen to it, but the pig squeals and such are just interesting, and it makes a different take on harsh vocals.

If you can show me where I said deathcore is better than death metal and all the other fucking awesome genres, I'll go an hero on webcam.

I never said deathcore was musically genius, either. I know the riffs all suck. I wish I knew why I like it.

Altmer said:
heavy (traditional) metal / power metal (these kinda overlap)
thrash metal
black metal
death metal
progressive metal
gothic/doom metal

rest isnt metal really and a lot of crosspollination happens
So what's groove metal?

Groove metal is thrash at half-speed.

Symphonic and folk are adjectives, and can be applied to any of the above genres.

Updating List!
ABBA, Beatles, and Pink Floyd are at top. No question 'bout it.
Then there's Blondie, Nightwish, Bee Gees (I'm serious guys), the Who, Emilie Autumn (I blame AK D:), Bjork, and Christina Aguilera. There's more but I'm too lazy to put them here. :P I like Air Supply and Fleetwood Mac as well.

I like (genreally 60s through 80s) pop and/or rock music, Symphonic Metal I guess, some modern stuff, and disco. Yes, the scourge of... well, everything original. I don't care.

Gee I feel so left out of this pikachucore discussion. I wish we could get rid of random subgenres nobody listens to and put them into one big genre called 'Other'.

groove metal is thrash for people who can't play like dave lombardo
I bet Darrel-worshipers would say that thrash is for people that can't play like Darrel or something, then. Before you attack me on that, too, no, I don't worship him, and no, I don't think he's the greatest guitar player in the world, blah blah blah.

Dimebag Darrell was good, but he's the most overrated guitarist in history. I hate all the retards who are like "omg best guitarist ever" about him when they know jackall about metal and can't even name another guitarist. I love Chuck Schuldiner's guitar work but I'm not under any illusion of him being the best. (though it's a moot point really they're both dead so most likely aren't so good at guitar anymore :P)

Dave Lombardo is one of my favourite drummers ever :D

On the subject of drummers (shut up, it's all I could do to direct the conversation), don't you love people who think Joey Jordison is the best drummer in the world? There's loads of other drummers who easily own Jordison, like Cryptopsy's one (or from what I've heard on None So Vile) or even Kataklysm or Panzerchrist.

... or any band for that matter.

Pink Floyd is my absolute favorite. I also love red Hot Chili Peppers, Dream Theater, AC/DC, Dream Theater and Third Eye Blind. There are a bunch of others, but those are the best, I think.

Back
Top Bottom