• Welcome to The Cave of Dragonflies forums, where the smallest bugs live alongside the strongest dragons.

Guests are not able to post messages or even read certain areas of the forums. Now, that's boring, don't you think? Registration, on the other hand, is simple, completely free of charge, and does not require you to give out any personal information at all. As soon as you register, you can take part in some of the happy fun things at the forums such as posting messages, voting in polls, sending private messages to people and being told that this is where we drink tea and eat cod.

Of course I'm not forcing you to do anything if you don't want to, but seriously, what have you got to lose? Five seconds of your life?

Final Fantasy

I liked that Penelo, unlike Vaan, actually tried to make herself useful and not irritate everyone else. Vaan is completely tactless :[ (re: Eruyt Village where he's like HEY FRAN HEY HOW OLD ARE YOU ANYWAY)

maybe they were too busy working on Fran's butt to pay attention to Vaan's abs

Lol. I fell out of my chair laughing.
I haven't completed any of the series games yet, but i do have dirge of cerebus, XII on my ps2 and I, II, III on my phone. Im getting stuck in two mazes at the same time, in the place-in-the-middle-of-the-sea in II and Cave of Darkness (CoD lol.) in III.
Yeah. and I can't play I as its in Russian. :(

Last edited:
Ah. Final Fantasy is great. :D I've played III, IV, V, VI, VII, IX, and a few of the spinoffs. I played X in the beginning for a while but it was just too godawful to continue. XII... my friend told me it was okay, better than X, but the battle system is just... not turned-based enough. I don't know. I don't like the idea of being able to move around in real time.

My favorites are IX, III, and possibly IV. V was rather thin but the gameplay was lovely and I thought I liked VI but then I realized the game had a terrible story and forgot all about the gameplay but I suppose it was okay because flying in airships in that game was dang fun. I think III on the NES is my all-time favorite. The DS remake made things easier, phooey. No more defense dropping to zero when you try to escape from fights. :( And they tried to give the characters personalities (not that they succeeded or anything). That is just a horrible offense for a game like FFIII. There should be no save points in dungeons in my opinion. It increases replay value. The music in III is also the second best set in the series, especially the overworld themes and the battle themes. The game is just fantastic in every way. IX was good because of the music and Vivi. IV was good because it was the first one I played so when I hear "FFIV" I think ":D! Cecil! Class change! Spoony Bard! Alternating caps!" I don't know if I'll get killed for saying this or something but I actually liked Edward/Gilbart. Edward's little theme song that he plays makes me misty-eyed. ;;

I liked Edward: he was just also useless.

Final Fantasy XII makes a big deal about being real-time, but really it's still mostly just the standard ATB-type thing except you're able to decide for yourself if you want to try to dodge. It's also easier to run away given that you're no longer at the mercy of the random number generator. ... it just means that if you run away, it's STILL GOING TO BE THERE. Also, MP recovers pretty quickly in areas heavy with Mist (the Feywood in particulary) and vaguely quickly elsewhere. Certainly less of a pain than having to dig up the Ethers in the middle of a long dungeon, especially given that major plot-important areas have a lot of Mist~. ... frequently enough to kill the ability to see monsters on your map, ugh.

The Celtic Moon version of that song is even prettier...it starts with just a harp playing the tune, then the tiular lute joins in, and so on until the whole band of harp, lute, whistle, pipes, flute and fiddle are all playing the tune.

Well, I've played only IV-VI, those classic ones for the SNES, because playstation games aren't readily avaliable to me. I plan on getting IV DS, and maybe I + II.

I've played III (DS), VII, X, X-2, XII and that's it. I know my collection is pitiful, and I've only played the 'biggest' ones, or at least ones that are most popular. But I'd really like to play VIII and IX, they look like they're my kind of game. My favourite is VII - original - BUT LET ME EXPLAIN

Okay, my mum's ex-boyfriend gave me VII saying it was his friend's who thought it was pretty good but never got into it (basically he never got out of the first reactor) and said I should try it. I dismissed it saying I didn't like shooting games - this was before I'd actually started playing RPGs, and before I used the internet properly and became the civilised young lady I am now. :D - and after he explained that it wasn't, I gave it a shot.

I instantly fell in love. I didn't play it or like it because of the fanbase... I didn't know anything about animé or fandoms or Japan and this was when I was secluded and like... a normal pre-teen. And then I played VII and it just changed me~ And I am forever in debt to it. It's basically to me what II, V etc. are like to people who think those games are overrated; I didn't know it belonged to a series, really, I just... played it. I didn't know it was overrated, either. So before you accuse me of following the crowd or anything, no. I just love it so much, it's by far my favourite game of all time. The fandom scared me so I never entered it.

I love the music, characters, plot, setting, gameplay, atmosphere - everything about it. It really brought me into the awesome world of the internet as well, somehow~

I got X a few years later, and it was pretty good. The characters annoyed me, the voice actors annoyed me, although I loved the amazing plot, before the characters come into it. Gameplay kinda annoyed me, but that doesn't feature high in my priority list really, compared to other things like music, characters and plot. X-2 is hilarious, I borrowed it from a friend.

Oh and recently, I bought XII~ I really love it. Not only are the characters awesome, but the gameplay is actually really, really good. The new system is amazing, I love it. I'm not getting a PS3, so XIII is out of it... I just hope fourteen and forwards won't just be on the PS3 and whatever. :/ Don't you think it was awesome if Final Fantasy Fourteen (don't know the numerals for fourteen, not going to pretend) was on the Wii? And like, revolutionary? ;3

So yeah, that's basically my thoughts on the series, which isn't much. I won't play another game I love as much as VII - I'm just certain it would never happen, it always will hold a special place in my heart. AND I actually still play it. I played it today, actually~ After years of having it, I still like playing it with new goals in mind.

EDIT: Oh and on the topic of XII characters seeing as you're discussing them; Fran is hot, and Balthier is like, the best Final Fantasy character EVER. Okay so maybe he doesn't beat Aeris but she's in another level~ Best FF male of all time much, then?

Penelo annoys me too Arylett, for some reason. She's just too... bland. Vaan is just... yeah, Tidus Clone except ever so slightly less of a complete nitwit, Ashe is really awesome (AND I JUST NOTICED SHE HAS THE SAME VOICE ACTRESS AS RAINE FROM TOS I shall never look at Ashe the same again >>) Basch is the most irritating thing since sliced bread and... is that everyone? Fran's voice actress is absolutely awesome, and yeah.

That's why I don't like Penelo! She did seem a bit bland, but I just couldn't find the word to describe it. Thank you Cirrus~ And Vaan is sort of a Tidus-clone. For some reason, I didn't like most of the characters in FFXII. They didn't seem memorable to me, as I've stated. (She does? Ashe has the same voice actress as Raine? That just makes her even cooler. <3)

I understand what you're saying about FFVII though. I felt the same way when I played FFIX. (And you should get FFVIII and IX, they are really good.) When I played it, I knew nothing of Japan or anime or about the FF series. It was just a game, an awesome game. It used to belong to my sister, actually.

But what you said about him not getting past the first reactor is what sort of like what happened to my sister in FFIX. She got stuck really early in the game and lost interest. One day, I stole it from her, played it, got stuck somewhere, then played it again ages ago, and loved it. I think she let me keep it, since she didn't ask for it back.

I'll be getting a PS3, as soon as they lower the price to something affordable. That'll be a while, but I can wait. (FF14, by the way, would be in roman numeral form like this: FFXIV. Yeah.) It'd be cool if they released FFXIV on the Wii. But I doubt it, they've stuck with PlayStation since FFVII. But we can dream, can't we?

(AND I JUST NOTICED SHE HAS THE SAME VOICE ACTRESS AS RAINE FROM TOS I shall never look at Ashe the same again >>)
:D!

Isn't it great?

Hehe "Final Fantasy XIV". The names get increasingly ironic as the series goes on XD

IIRC the contract that Square signed said that Sony had the main series forever so *shrug*

Dunno if that expires, I hope it does :\
It expired after FFXII. S-E is no longer bound to Sony, but I'm guessing the reason they've stayed Sony-exclusive is because S-E and Sony are like Ernie and Bert atm.

because S-E and Sony are like Ernie and Bert atm.

They'll never have the rubber duckie song, though. D:

Unless the PS3 picks up, though, they'll have to make it a non-exclusive... I mean (and I could be wrong here) MGS4 and DMC4 were originally goiing to be PS3-only, but then, uh, weren't. Or something.

I should pay attention to non-Nintendo things.

MGS4 is PS3 exclusive. I dunno about DMC4.

The PS3 is actually doing pretty well despite all of the things people say about it. I'd like S-E to go the SEGA route and release stuff on every console, though.

It would be hard, though, with the Wii's limited hardware capabilities...

It expired after FFXII. S-E is no longer bound to Sony, but I'm guessing the reason they've stayed Sony-exclusive is because S-E and Sony are like Ernie and Bert atm.

I fail to see how the fact that XII's sequel showed up on DS and not PSP is exclusive, though. Same for FFIV that is coming out in like a week and a half.

EDIT: Apart from the all-console policy of FFXI, SE really doesn't want anything to do with Microsoft.

Back
Top Bottom