• Welcome to The Cave of Dragonflies forums, where the smallest bugs live alongside the strongest dragons.

Guests are not able to post messages or even read certain areas of the forums. Now, that's boring, don't you think? Registration, on the other hand, is simple, completely free of charge, and does not require you to give out any personal information at all. As soon as you register, you can take part in some of the happy fun things at the forums such as posting messages, voting in polls, sending private messages to people and being told that this is where we drink tea and eat cod.

Of course I'm not forcing you to do anything if you don't want to, but seriously, what have you got to lose? Five seconds of your life?

Fossil excavation site

KayKay

(payed fee to open area)

Over the way is a very large golden sandstone cliff, overlooking an expanse of sandy scrubland. You walk up to the little stall next to a cave in the sandstone cliff. It's nothing impressive - a rather scruffy looking table and an overhanging canopy of cloth to keep off the intense sunshine. On the table there are various supplies, shovels and rockpicks, and cases full of goodness-knows what.

A rather muckly looking female walks over to the stall having seen you inspecting the items on display. She wipes the sweat from her forehead with a cloth and gasps. "It's a hot day, isn't it?"

"Oh, you're here to excavate some fossils? Well let me explain how it's done:

First you need some tools. Well you could use your bare hands, but I doubt you'd get very far! The tools here are cheap and once you've bought one it stays in your inventory forever! First there is the heavy rock pick, it's only $1. Now this one is the best for the deepest parts of the cave back there..." She points to a narrow cave in the sandstone cliff. "That's because the rock in the cave is much harder than the rock outside the cave. It's useless in the sand though, and because it's so heavy there is an increased risk of breaking any fossils you might find... about a 1 in 4 chance"

"Second there is the light rock pick. This is much kinder to delicate fossils and you're much less likely to break a fossil using this, but it's still a 1 in 8 possibility so be gentle. It costs a little more, it's $2, but it's worth it I think. Only problem is, you can't use it in the Hard rock in the deepest part of the cave, only in the normal Rock closer to the cave entrance and in the Sandstone."

"Then there is the trusty Shovel for only $1. You can't use this in the cave, but you can use it to chip away at the Sandstone or dig in the Sand. Once again, you risk a 1 in 4 chance breaking your fossil with this tool unfortunately. But! It's much cheaper than..."

She picks up a silver brief case.

"... the Fancy excavation kit. This costs $4... I know. Not cheap at all. But with this you will never ever break a fossil, I promise you. Only problem is, it can only be used on Sandstone and in the Sand. The instruments are just too delicate for the Rock and Hard rock!"

"There are many live pokemon in there so I'll give you a pokeball for every turn you buy. You can buy 5 turns, 10 turns or 20 turns for $2, $3 and $4 respectively."

"Okay, now let me go over the areas:

Hard rock:

In the deepest part of the cave there is the hardest rock. Here you will find live cave pokemon and fossil bug and reptile pokemon, some of which are not found in the lighter Rock. Requires a heavy rock pick.

Rock:

Nearer the cave entrance the rock is softer and more brittle, but not quite as soft as the sandstone. The types of pokemon found here are similar to those found deeper in the cave, with a few exceptions and extras. Requires either a light rock pick or a heavy rock pick.

Sandstone:

Here at the base of the sandstone cliffs the kinds of wild pokemon you might find burrowing in sandstone or outside in the desert. The types of fossil pokemon you'll find here are more likely to be water types. Requires either a light rock pick or a shovel.

Sand:

Again this is similar to the Sandstone but the sand is loose and flowing. You'll find similar pokemon here to the ones in the sandstone, including a few extras and excluding a few. Requires either a shovel or a fancy excavation kit."

"I won't tell you exactly what pokemon you'll find because, well... I honestly don't know either! It comes with the job, not knowing what you'll find. I have seen some impressive find is my time though, and I'm still a newbie at this myself!"

"Rules:

1) First you'll need to buy a tool. My professor won't let anyone onto the site without one... sorry. He told me a story about how someone tried to dig in the sand with their bare hands and ended up poisoned by a sandshrew sting. Again: Heavy rock pick is $1, light rock pick is $2, shovel is $1 and the fancy excavation kit is $4.
2) You select your area of choice and the number of turns you want in the area. Again: $2 for 5 turns, $3 for 10, and $4 for 20.
3) You can select your tool, area of choice and number of turns in the same post.
4) Have fun!

On turn 1 you find... nothing.

On turn 2 you find... nothing.

On turn 3 you find... a wild male Diglett diglett! Would you like to throw a pokeball at it? (continued after your reply)

On turn 1 you find... nothing.

On turn 2 you find... nothing.

On turn 3 you find a wild male Diglett diglett. Would you like to catch it?

The odds of finding common/uncommon/rare/super rare are 12:6:3:1 respectively.

The odds of finding a pokemon/item/fossil are 3:2:3 respectively.

The odds of a pokemon being a shiny are 1/500.

Squornshellous Beta: You have caught the male Diglett!

On turn 4 you find... nothing.

On turn 5 you find... nothing.

On turn 6 you find... a wild female Diglett diglett. Would you like to catch it?

Last edited:
Super Rare? One in twenty-two? That's far too common. Super Rares tend to be ~one in two hundred. You should look at this thread. Your shiny rate looks good though.

Last edited:
Ok thanks for the clarification. :)

Moving on...

On turn 7 you find... nothing.

On turn 8 you find... nothing etc.

On turn 14 you find... the exoskeleton of a Fossil Skorupi! It's completely intact. Would you like to take it?

In the games yeah but what's wrong with other pokemon having fossils too? You get living species of animal and almost identical fossil species.

Because that's the way it works, basically. The idea is to present other Pokémon as living Pokémon, and offer the fossils as a gimmicky thing.

Why is it a rule somewhere that a fossil can't be other than omanyte, kabuto, etc?

Other than that, where does it say that the idea must be that the fossils are a little gimmicky part of the area? I can't even find much on fossils in the rules.

For safari zone areas you can make up your own items, right? So these fossils are made up for the area. Also there are references to fossils other than the ones you get in the games. Even if you never actually see them. For example, there are references to relicanth and magikarp fossils, even if you never actually find one in the game (but you find plenty of the live pokemon). In reality, even rather recent animals can be found as fossils, at the very least in this area I have chosen the pokemon found as fossils based on more ancient types of animal that are found as very old fossils.

The whole point of this area is that you get fossils (it's not just some minor part of the area, it's the whole point of the area). But it would be rather boring if I was practically giving away the rarer known fossils because then there would be a very low diversity of fossils for a start, so you get a few more types of fossil of more known, common pokemon. The likes of kabuto and omanyte are the more uncommon type of fossil.

I honestly can't see the problem here. I'm sorry you don't like it, I can give you a refund if you like.

Wait, since when can we make up our own items? I don't recall anything like that.

I guess we should wait for the answer in the rules thread.

>( guideline k.

EVERYTHING'S AWESOME keep on keeping on. Make fossils for ~everything~ and see if I care. Have ghost pokémon fossils and see if I care, haha. (Except don't, ghost areas are everywhere in the safari zone. :'()

Ooh! Can you dig up evolution stones and other stuff from the underground? :o

Hey, how did you know you can find evolution stones as items here? The only place I typed that was in my personal note pad... or was that just a very good guess? (perhaps because the only truly useful items in the safari zone are evolution stones, but the more common items here are "random decorative junk" as it's put in the guidelines) You can also find old amber if you're really lucky.

Squornshellous Beta, do you want your fossil skorupi? It's the last thing you find. So...

1) You got a male Diglett diglett
2) You got a fossil skorupi (if you want it).

Back
Top Bottom