• Welcome to The Cave of Dragonflies forums, where the smallest bugs live alongside the strongest dragons.

Guests are not able to post messages or even read certain areas of the forums. Now, that's boring, don't you think? Registration, on the other hand, is simple, completely free of charge, and does not require you to give out any personal information at all. As soon as you register, you can take part in some of the happy fun things at the forums such as posting messages, voting in polls, sending private messages to people and being told that this is where we drink tea and eat cod.

Of course I'm not forcing you to do anything if you don't want to, but seriously, what have you got to lose? Five seconds of your life?

Grade level calculator

I decided to put in the word Pokemon for every method.

Method used: Flesch-Kincaid (English).

Flesch-Kincaid Grade level: 20.
Flesch-Kincaid Reading Ease score: -48.

Method used: LIX (Swedish).

LIX value: 101.

A low LIX value indicates better readability. According to the father of LIX, a text with a value of 20 is very easy to read. A value of 50 is a difficult text. Typical legalese has a LIX value of 50 and above. Childrens litterature has a typical LIX value of 27.

Method used: Fernandez Huerta (Spanish). Please note that my current implementation does not calculate the number of syllables correctly. If you have an algorithm to calculate syllables in spanish, please contact me.

Fernandez-Huerta score: 27.

A high Fernandez-Huerta score indicates low difficulty.

Index Difficulty
90-100 Very Easy
80-90 Easy
70-80 Fairly Easy
60-70 Normal
50-60 Fairly Difficult
30-50 Difficult
0-30 Very Difficult

Method used: Douma (Dutch).

Douma readability index score: -25.

Index Difficulty
90-100 Very Easy
80-90 Easy
70-80 Fairly Easy
60-70 Normal
50-60 Fairly Difficult
30-50 Difficult
0-30 Very Difficult

Method used: Kandel & Moles (French).

Kandel & Moles score: -15. A high score indicates good readability.

Index Difficulty
90-100 Very Easy
80-90 Easy
70-80 Fairly Easy
60-70 Normal
50-60 Fairly Difficult
30-50 Difficult
0-30 Very Difficult

Goddamn, Pokemon really isn't what it used to be.

How far does this thing range?

"As the hollow walls of my dormitory whispered of a better time where the air was stagnant and no man walked the earth, I vicariously began to dream and fell into a near-comatose sleep."

Result

Flesch-Kincaid Grade level: 17.
Flesch-Kincaid Reading Ease score: 30.

"So I herd u liek mudkipz?"

Result

Flesch-Kincaid Grade level: 4.
Flesch-Kincaid Reading Ease score: 74.

"I eat pie. Pie is good."

Result

Flesch-Kincaid Grade level: -1.
Flesch-Kincaid Reading Ease score: 105.

Grade -1 FTW

I put in a plot for a roleplay and got a ten for grade level and 55 reading ease.

What I've got for chapter 3 of Series Finale (Flora=lazy as hell) got an eight for grade level and 65 reading ease.

And then those last two sentenes got an eight and a 65.

(I'm a smart cookie)

Inserted one of my fanfics and got a grade level of 6, and an ease score of 66. Ah well.

Wrote shssssss and got a grade level of -3.

How does this work? I typed in 'my mother is a robot,' and got grade 5. But 'my mother is an android,' gets a grade level of 3. Apparently android is an easier word than robot.

Also, 'Pizza.' gets a grade level of 9. What.

I put in a roleplay post and got an 8 for grade and 64 for readability.

Then I put in a different roleplay post and got grade 9 but 59 readability

Another got grade 8 and 63 readability.

My average is grade 8 1/3 and 62 readability for roleplay posts, it seems.

EDIT: I typed "Thistlefeather" and got grade 32 but -133 readability.

Also I typed "bwahaha" with countless ha's and got grade 9909 but -70943 readability. This thing must work oddly.

Also having nothing in the box gets grade -3 (what?) with 121 readability

Last edited:
Look at this.....I put in the lyrics to Cowboy Casanova by Carrie Underwood.....this is what I got:

Flesch-Kincaid Grade level: 134.
Flesch-Kincaid Reading Ease score: -274.

O_________o I'm weirded out considerablely.

But I tested it out some of my RP posts and got the grade I was in at that time, usually.

Chapter 1 of Waiting in Earth came up with a grade level of 7 and reading ease score somewhere in the 70s.

Meanwhile, the score for my English lyrics to Rolling Girl:
Flesch-Kincaid Grade level: 8.
Flesch-Kincaid Reading Ease score: 56.

Huh.

The TCoD guest text got a grade 10, with a reading ease of 57.

Not that I have any idea what this means, what the heck is a grade level?

In America, it goes like this:

Kindergarden: 5/6 year olds
1st Grade: 6/7 year olds
2nd Grade: 7/8 year olds
3rd Grade: 8/9 year olds
4th Garde: 9/10 year olds
5th Grade: 10/11 year olds
6th Grade: 11/12 year olds
7th Grade: 12/13 year olds
8th Grade: 13/14 year olds
9th Grade/Freshman Year: 14/15 year olds
10th Grade/Sophomore Year: 15/16 year olds
11th Grade/Junior Year: 16/17 year olds
12th Grade/Senior Year: 17/18 year olds

And then Collage. Maybe.

So ur with ur honey and yur making out wen the phone rigns. U anser it n the vioce is “wut r u doing wit my daughter?” U tell ur girl n she say “my dad is ded”. THEN WHO WAS PHONE?

Flesch-Kincaid Grade level: 3.
Flesch-Kincaid Reading Ease score: 89.

Um what other passages of text do I have lying around.

Law has been a subject of great interest for me ever since taking it as one of my AS subjects. I took it mostly out of curiosity and the desire to try something new, but it quickly became my favourite subject, and also my best subject, as I received A grades for most assignments and my AS exam.

I find the entire subject of Law fascinating, as things that a layperson assumes to be simple are, in fact, quite complex. Rather than just being a collection of facts, studying Law can lead to a lot of debate and discussion. Areas I particularly like are precedent and statutory interpretation, because prior to studying Law I assumed the law to be fairly concrete. However I found that in reality the law can be made flexible indeed, as judges are able to manipulate the wording of law to suit the circumstances of the case at hand where it is inappropriate. For instance, in Adler v George (1964) the courts decided that the defendant was guilty for driving over 30mph in a vehicle made to carry 11 passengers, although the statute in question merely prohibited doing so in a vehicle 'adapted' to do so, thus avoiding an unjust acquittal due to the wording of the Act. This can be employed to avoid unjust convictions as well, such as in Fisher v Bell (1961) where it was decided that inviting people to offer to buy flick-knives did not legally constitute an offer to sell them as prohibited by the Restriction of Offensive Weapons Act 1959. Though precedent should make law straightforward, judges have numerous ways to avoid “awkward precedents”. Not only that but precedent has an effect on the law itself, as some cases have introduced revolutionary case law, such as R v R (1991) overturning outdated law and making it illegal to rape one’s wife.

In addition to Law, I also study History and Biology, which contain some elements that I feel are transferable to Law; History, for instance, requires using information and evidence to draw conclusions and judgements. It also enables one to study historical statutes in context and examine their impact at the time; for example, the Judicature Act passed during Gladstone's first ministry in 1873. In Law we were taught that this Act made common law and equity triable in one court, and when studying it in History I found it had other effects, such as reorganising the court system and setting up the Courts of Appeal. I feel Biology is helpful because it sometimes requires one to consider moral issues, like euthanasia. This applies to the recent news story about people wishing to take ill loved ones abroad where they can help them die, and the law’s attitude to this. That then leads on to how the law itself can be immoral, lowering a sentence for somebody who kills out of anger but convicting those who assist suicide with murder, seemingly rewarding criminals who act out of hate and punishing those who act out of compassion. A part of University as a whole that I look forward to is the independent method of study. At my Sixth Form, the Law course is taught by distance learning and so most of the work is comprised of independent study and completion of assignments. I cope very well with this and feel my studies have gone some way towards preparing me for University.

I am unsure as yet about what career I wish to pursue, but I know that in Law I will have a versatile qualification offering many avenues of choice. However the main reason I wish to attend University is to develop my knowledge of Law at a higher level and to continue a subject I find both interesting and enjoyable.

Flesch-Kincaid Grade level: 17.
Flesch-Kincaid Reading Ease score: 29.
My personal statement for my university application. (And yes, marital rape did only become illegal under English law in 1991. Incidentally I'm not sure how the naming of the case "R v R" works since that would mean the defendant was the Queen.)

And my History coursework, which I won't post because it's giant, got an 18 and a 22. Bizarrely, editing out the references section, which is full of URLs, makes it harder to understand :l

Our story begins on a moonlit night, in the sewers of New York, where the U.S. government was doing an expiriment with nanobots, accidentily creating a creature they called a zombie. As the workers were leaving, a careless assistant left a cell door open.
A chunk of creative writing I did when I was 12 got
Flesch-Kincaid Grade level: 10.
Flesch-Kincaid Reading Ease score: 46.
It seems I was a smart little 12 year old.

I put in an essay I wrote I few months back that compared the economies of a couple different countries.

Flesch-Kincaid Grade level: 9.
Flesch-Kincaid Reading Ease score: 50.

Meh.

Then I wanted to see if I could hit the lowest possible score and simply put in "hi." I got this:

Flesch-Kincaid Grade level: -3.
Flesch-Kincaid Reading Ease score: 120

Try and get a lower score than that. :grin:

Then I put in "Supercalifragilisticexpialidocus" and got:

Flesch-Kincaid Grade level: 150.
Flesch-Kincaid Reading Ease score: -980.

Don't know if you can get much higher than that...

My Warriors fanfic, Frost & Flame -

Flesch-Kincaid Grade level: 6.
Flesch-Kincaid Reading Ease score: 67.

Aww. :/

Lyrics to "Poker Face" -

Flesch-Kincaid Grade level: 193.
Flesch-Kincaid Reading Ease score: -424.

Wtf!?
While I worship Gaga, that's just not right. O.O

Pneumonoultramicroscopicsilicovolcanoconiosis -

Flesch-Kincaid Grade level: 197.
Flesch-Kincaid Reading Ease score: -1317.

NICE. :)

Hmm...

Flesch-Kincaid Grade level: 11.
Flesch-Kincaid Reading Ease score: 51.

This one was an early chapter from the first fanfic I ever wrote (not counting some really crappy Pokémon stuff I wrote back I was in 7th/8th grade.) I'm not sure if this one was from late 2006 or early 2007, but it was somewhere in that range.

Flesch-Kincaid Reading Ease score: 54.

This was one of the better chapters from another fanfic I wrote (but never actually finished) back around 2007. This one wasn't as good as the previous one.

Flesch-Kincaid Reading Ease score: 54.

This was the first chapter of a (still unfinished... well, barely even started, since I never got past the second chapter) Pokémon fanfic that I started back around early 2009.

Flesch-Kincaid Grade level: 9.
Flesch-Kincaid Reading Ease score: 56.

And this was an earlier chapter from a fanfic I've been writing recently.

So... my stuff's becoming more readable, which is always good. And apparently I'm also using less unnecessary "big words" now than I used to (the "grade level" is mostly based on word length, right?)

Hmmm...
Earliest RP post I could dig up here:
Flesch-Kincaid Reading Ease score: 67.

Latest RP post I could dig up:
Flesch-Kincaid Grade level: 6.
Flesch-Kincaid Reading Ease score: 63.

The City of Dreams:
Flesch-Kincaid Grade level: 15.
Flesch-Kincaid Reading Ease score: 22.

High school senior project short story:
Flesch-Kincaid Grade level: 7.
Flesch-Kincaid Reading Ease score: 59.

First paper I wrote in college:
Flesch-Kincaid Grade level: 12.
Flesch-Kincaid Reading Ease score: 44.

Aborted novel:
Flesch-Kincaid Reading Ease score: 57.

So my writing isn't especially difficult to read. I have the capacity to get wordy, but don't often do so.

More importantly, these results indicate that almost all members of this forum should be able to easily read my writing.

Back
Top Bottom