• Welcome to The Cave of Dragonflies forums, where the smallest bugs live alongside the strongest dragons.

Guests are not able to post messages or even read certain areas of the forums. Now, that's boring, don't you think? Registration, on the other hand, is simple, completely free of charge, and does not require you to give out any personal information at all. As soon as you register, you can take part in some of the happy fun things at the forums such as posting messages, voting in polls, sending private messages to people and being told that this is where we drink tea and eat cod.

Of course I'm not forcing you to do anything if you don't want to, but seriously, what have you got to lose? Five seconds of your life?

Homosexuality

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes, but if it were sarcasm and he wanted people to realise it, I'm sure he would have done a better job at implying sarcasm - such as, as I mentioned before, explaining his actual opinion afterwards, or italicising the word 'bad' or something, I don't know.

Also, I don't mean to be age-ist, but is anybody really sarcastic about that sort of thing at the age of 12?

Making sarcasm overly obvious is lame. And he might not have been on since then.

My brother, who is eleven, is very sarcastic, so I would say yes. My other brother was too, as was I.

I'm not saying they're not homophobic, I just don't like jumping to conclusions. *shrugs* Their comment could be taken either way.

I think it was less sarcasm and more like LOL I'M GONNA BE FUNNY AND SAY SOMETHING RANDOM! ALSO I DIDN'T READ THE THREAD AT ALL SO I HAVE NO IDEA PEOPLE ARE GONNA HATE ME FOR THIS

Lay off him, guys. I warned him for it already for not being serious in the serious business. Let's get back on topic.

edit: I just noticed somebody reported his post this morning after I had already warned the kid minutes after he posted it yesterday, maybe I should've said something at the time lol

Last edited:
HEY DONT HATE I WAS TWELVE TWO MONTHS AGO D:. It's very possible he was.

EDIT: Holy nuts double ninja.

I saw that in my newspaper and my immediate reaction was "wtf republicans nooooooooo" My representative says that he doesn't think it's a representative of what the people want, though, so...? (he's totally for it. also, for the record, he's an Iraq war vet, so anyone who says "no soldiers want gays in their military" can go shove it.)

I have a question though; what exactly is considered "gay" under that law? Does that count bisexuals? Does that count bisexuals who prefer the opposite gender?

(not that I'd want to join the military, but this is a curiousity thing)

The thing I don't understand is, what possible effect would having gays in the military have? That is, what benefit would the military gain from discharging gays? To me it looks like it's just conservatives being homophobic.

I did a speech on this for debate class at school and the main argument against gays in the military seemed to be that people would be uncomfortable with their presence. Which I guess is a fair enough argument but there's a hell of a lot of other things that people could be uncomfortable with and there's no reason to discharge a specific one

The thing I don't understand is, what possible effect would having gays in the military have? That is, what benefit would the military gain from discharging gays? To me it looks like it's just conservatives being homophobic.

That's what I don't understand, myself. They showed a video clip on the news of one of the US generals stating that "They're still studying the effects of having gays in the military on US soldiers", or something to that effect. Well, one, how do they "study" this if they kick anyone out who is found to be homosexual, and two, what is there to study? They're gay. Big deal. These are US soldiers - I highly doubt the majority of them are going to develop emotional distress because OH NO THAT GUY'S GAY AND HE MIGHT TOUCH ME.

The thing that amuses the hell out of me is that if you don't bring up that you're gay, they'll take you in. It's only if you're open about being gay that they have a problem with. There's probably lots of undercover gays in the military.

@Leafpool: Very true. I do see US society making slow progress with this as a whole, but as long as people with that kind of mentality stay in power, we may not get anywhere with gay rights very fast.

@DarkShocktail: Yes, definitely, and it's unfortunate that it has to be like that.

The thing that amuses the hell out of me is that if you don't bring up that you're gay, they'll take you in. It's only if you're open about being gay that they have a problem with. There's probably lots of undercover gays in the military.
Right, but this kind of makes sense. The reason the law is there is so that it's easier to build camaraderie - no one wants to have to worry about whether your army buddy is checking you out while you're showering. If you tell people that they're not allowed to be openly gay, then everyone is equal - 90% chance that they are heterosexual, let's just assume that they are straight.

Of course this is all bullshit, and gays should be let in. There are a lot worse things that military men have to deal with than wandering eyes in the showers (like, uh, maybe getting killed). But the act isn't quite as irrational as people seem to think.

If you're straight and in the military, then yes, apparently.

Pft. One time my bro was taking a break from work (he worked in retail at the time) and got approached by a gay man. Actual exchange included this:

"...You're not gay, are you?"
"No..."
"...Would you like to be?"

Don't have to be in the military to be considered a pretty boy, lads.

And it's a problem to be checked out by a guy?
I mean for most straight men yeah. You have to admit it would make things pretty awkward if you knew one of your army buddies was gay and you thought he might have a crush on you. This I think is the rationale behind the law.

Must make things pretty awkward if you think a female soldier has a crush on you :O

maybe we should just ban women, too!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom