• Welcome to The Cave of Dragonflies forums, where the smallest bugs live alongside the strongest dragons.

Guests are not able to post messages or even read certain areas of the forums. Now, that's boring, don't you think? Registration, on the other hand, is simple, completely free of charge, and does not require you to give out any personal information at all. As soon as you register, you can take part in some of the happy fun things at the forums such as posting messages, voting in polls, sending private messages to people and being told that this is where we drink tea and eat cod.

Of course I'm not forcing you to do anything if you don't want to, but seriously, what have you got to lose? Five seconds of your life?

How did you become a brony?

It was during the phase where everyone had it as their usernames. Sable kept griping about how "a show like that can't be so popular without being a joke thing" so I offered myself up as a guinea pig. And it was wonderful.

And then she watched it. And now she may be even a bigger fan than me. I refuse to use the term "brony" though. It implies masculinity.

Also... shouldn't this be in Entertainment? And... not assuming that everyone is?

I'm not really part of the fandom and I tend to find a lot of the pony fandom irritating, but I'm not really someone enjoys fandom much. It's a nice show and stuff, but I'm not a brony.

I'm with uv on this with the caveat that I haven't even seen the show. Basically: no?

Then why did you post in this thread if just to say "I am not one"?

As for me I was uh... Well, when everyone was obsessed with it, I never really doubted that it was good, 'cause the same sort of thing of girly-kids'-show-that-is-actually-good thing happened with other shows in the past, I just didn't really want to watch it myself. Then one day I got really bored and decided I'd watch the first couple of episodes, then I watched half of season 1 consecutively before I even realised it.

I watched one of the earlier episodes after a ton of the hype I saw and wasn't all that fond of it. Then asked TCoDf for some episodes that they liked the best, and watched those. Since then, I've watched a bit here and there, and pixeled some of the pets and Spike because I was bored. Wouldn't call myself a fan by any means, but I know enough about it not to be hopelessly lost.

I'm honestly going to be surprised if anyone in this thread found out about the series without the internet not somehow being involved.

Zora got me into it. As well as all of the buzz around here.

And now I'm a proud Pegasister (That's the female "brony" term that's sometimes used).

And now I'm a proud Pegasister (That's the female "brony" term that's sometimes used).

What sort of annoys me is the needless extra syllable!
Why not just "pegasis"?
Is it because the plural can't be pegusi but the only other option for that would be this? Probably just too similar to pegasus I guess.
It's just that I'm lazy and I want to know why a word that's longer than necessary is catching on more than the easier word to say :P

What sort of annoys me is the needless extra syllable!
Why not just "pegasis"?
Maybe because "pegasis" just looks like an accidental misspelling of "pegasus", but with "pegasister", you can tell it was intentional...? I dunno.

Anyway, I basically have the same story as almost everyone else here - I came to tcod knowing nothing about MLP:FiM, but when people started saying how it was actually good, I decided to check it out, and I liked it quite a bit. I'm not really caught up with the new episodes though :<

Everyone was freaking out about it on IRC so I was like well hey sure.

And now my boyfriend's more into it than I am... sighs

Exactly this, except without the boyfriend.
And with a lot more "it's this or read boring stories in Spanish for class" influencing the initial decision.

As for the term "brony", it's not my favorite (I don't use it when I'm not coerced to), but I do like it a lot more than "pegasis" (which I haven't actually heard used before) or "pegasister" (which I have seen, but don't like because I feel like it stresses an identity separate from most of the fandom that I don't see benefiting... anybody.)

Last edited:
Then why did you post in this thread if just to say "I am not one"?
Because, funnily enough, I can like a show without being part of the fandom? o.o Not to mention that me and Tarvos aren't the only two people who have said so? I'm a passive fan of the show, and I don't see how my post is irrelevant. ?_? The fact that this thread asks the entire forum how they became a brony kind of assumes the whole forum is, so I wouldn't think it entirely unusual that a few people would say they weren't.

I can't stand the term "brony". I don't care how many people say that it's not actually supposed to be gendered or bring frat boys to mind. I'm not going to call myself a "bro", ny or otherwise.
this too! 'ponyhead' is rather nice, though.

'That guy'? You will address Alan Davies with the proper level of respect :o
Yeah, I wouldn't upset Jonathon Creek. Granted, he probably wouldn't do a lot, but you'll be sorry when something impossible happens and he's the only one who knows how it happened. :o

Ugh, "ponyhead" just sounds so /wrong/

I feel something weird in my head when I see that word, and I see terrifying pictures that I can't quite see clearly π_π

Also, it reminds me of the first castle boss in Link's Adventure :\

I can't stand the term "brony". I don't care how many people say that it's not actually supposed to be gendered or bring frat boys to mind. I'm not going to call myself a "bro", ny or otherwise.
yeah I came in to say this
it's basically the same as "girl gamer" ooh i'm a GIRL and i play VIDEOMAGAMES got a PROBLEM LOL??? except it's ooh i'm a BOY and i like a GIRL'S SHOW

anyway I first watched MLP when everyone here had changed all their usernames so I was like ok let's have a look and it was good yay.
it's not the highest on my list-of-stuff-I-love but it is very enjoyable

Ponyhead is a better term than brony, in retrospect. It implies both genders. Should I change the topic to "Ponyhead" instead of brony?

I actually heard about MLP FiM a year ago, when it first started, on another site, and I was thinking "What a baby show," but when TCoDers that were teenagers to adults watched it, I started to wonder...and I began watching all the episodes. =)

Wow I just read up to like chapter 24 in about 2.5 hours.

Who is this amazing person, and can I give them a hug and some cake????????

Here he is.

I'm with uv on this with the caveat that I haven't even seen the show. Basically: no?

Give it a try! Seriously, it'll be worth it.

I'll get you started with these episodes - if I think I'm right about the stuff you like, you'll like these.

Lesson Zero
Party of One
The Best Night Ever

No, no no. They aren't going to understand The Best Night Ever without the episodes leading up to it.

Here's how I did it. I was recommended to watch the two pilot episodes to set up the world and characters (knowing that would help in starting on the first episodes of Season 2, too), Then the Ticket Master to get the whole season plot arc started. After that, they could be watched in any order I liked. I personally watched them all in order, but...up to them.

Because, funnily enough, I can like a show without being part of the fandom? o.o Not to mention that me and Tarvos aren't the only two people who have said so? I'm a passive fan of the show, and I don't see how my post is irrelevant. ?_? The fact that this thread asks the entire forum how they became a brony kind of assumes the whole forum is, so I wouldn't think it entirely unusual that a few people would say they weren't.

You do have a point in that the thread seemed rather presumptuous, and evidently I know that you don't have to be part of the fandom to like it, but I was just a little confused as to why especially Tarvos posted just to say "I do not watch the show" when the thread's clearly aimed at people who do. It's almost as if, I dunno, there were a thread aimed at people of a certain religion saying "Why are you a believer of this religion" and somebody posted to say "I am not a believer of this religion", you know?

No, no no. They aren't going to understand The Best Night Ever without the episodes leading up to it.

Here's how I did it. I was recommended to watch the two pilot episodes to set up the world and characters (knowing that would help in starting on the first episodes of Season 2, too), Then the Ticket Master to get the whole season plot arc started. After that, they could be watched in any order I liked. I personally watched them all in order, but...up to them.
While it is better to watch some of the other episodes first, in the end the important thing is that the first episode they watch hooks them in, which The Best Night Ever can do just fine (I know plenty of bronies who started with that ep). Frankly, I nearly didn't continue on watching after the double pilot being disappointing on first watch (now I love them though), but it certainly depends on the person which episode would be the best introductory one for them.

I... liked it as a kid! I'm the kind of person who would watch it even if it hadn't become massive, so. I'm not sure what that says about me. Totally in the 'the term brony is creepy' camp, though. Aaaaand I'm a bit of a casual fan only.

Not really, actually!

Part of the reason I like the show is because they don't actually do things wrong. I tried watching one of the old MLP films and I didn't like it much at all, and one of the main reasons was that the songs didn't mean anything, they felt like filler and just something colourful to watch and be distracted by.

A lot of the songs in FiM however serve a purpose! The song in Best Night Ever is there so that it gives the audience who haven't seen Ticket Master the information necessary to understand the episode, and for the people who have seen Ticket Master, it's something colourful to watch and be distracted by! And it gives this information while avoiding the trope As You Know, because since it's a song, certain tropes like that can be ignored since it isn't exactly realistic to burst into song in the first place!

Yes I know, I over-think EVERYTHING.

Back
Top Bottom