• Welcome to The Cave of Dragonflies forums, where the smallest bugs live alongside the strongest dragons.

Guests are not able to post messages or even read certain areas of the forums. Now, that's boring, don't you think? Registration, on the other hand, is simple, completely free of charge, and does not require you to give out any personal information at all. As soon as you register, you can take part in some of the happy fun things at the forums such as posting messages, voting in polls, sending private messages to people and being told that this is where we drink tea and eat cod.

Of course I'm not forcing you to do anything if you don't want to, but seriously, what have you got to lose? Five seconds of your life?

Interesting facts you know

April the fourteenth is both Pi day

I think you mean March the fourteenth, and even then it only works if you use US dating conventions.

also, I believe the last peace treaty involving WWII was signed a year or two ago between Crna gora and Japan. ETA: oh hang on that was the Russo-Japan war way back in 1904. Even better.

Oh yeah mMarch the 14th, I got mixed up with that and the birthday of this really annoying boy on my bus.

Another fact:
Team Fortress 2 is a really unrealistic game, not because the medic has a gun that can shoot health, but because the Geneva convention prohibits killing medics.

Team Fortress 2 is a really unrealistic game, not because the medic has a gun that can shoot health, but because the Geneva convention prohibits killing medics.
Don't get me started.

-Scouts can double jump
-You don't die if you shoot yourself with a rocket launcher (most of the time)
-Punching someone does the same amount of damage as a machete
-An engineer can build a turret by banging on a piece of metal with his wrench
-No friendly fire
-etc. etc. etc.

Taumatwhakatangihangakoauauotamateaturipukakapikimaungahoronukupokaiwhenuakitanatahu
is the maori name for a hill! No lie look it up on Wikipedia.

Saturn may have the most visible and beautiful rings, but it only has 7 of them, while Uranus has 11.

Earth travels around the Sun at about 66 thousand miles per hour

The oldest known astronomical record in existence is a 32 thousand year old piece of bone that has the phases of the Moon on it

It took Apollo astronauts three days to get to the Moon and three to get back, but if you journied to Mars it would take six months each way, and you would have to stay there for a year and a half, waiting for the planets to align right for you to return

Jupiter is more massive then all the other planets, asteroids, moons, and comets in the solar system put together, yet it is only about one hundredth as massive as the smallest star. The Sun is ten times more massive then the smallest star, and the most massive is 150 times the Sun's mass. Big star. And the most massive galaxy has 800 billion times the Sun's mass ._.

Sound waves bounce around in the Sun every few minutes, but they are too low frequency for us to hear. These sound waves help astronomers study the Sun's structure

The impact that made the Caloris Basin on Mercury shot shock waves straight through its iron and nickel core and created hills on the other side

Ceres is not only the largest asteroid discovered but the first to be discovered

Jupiter's moon Ganymede and Saturn's moon Titan are both bigger than Mercury

Pluto's day and month are the same length

Vulpix's name comes from the constillation Vulpeca, which is the Little Fox

Mauna Kea could be called taller than Mt. Everest, as it stands 26 miles above the ocean floor that it stands on while Mt. Everest is 25 miles above sea level

If the Earth suddenly stopped rotating, we would all roll east at about 800 miles per hour, the Pacific Ocean would wash up on North and South America, and the Atlantic Ocean would wash up onto Africa and Eurasia. After everything settled down, the Earth day would be equal to the Earth year, and there would be no tornadoes, hurricanes, cyclones, or typhoons

There are no official time zones at the poles

It is impossible to have a Blue Moon in February

More later~

The fear of palindromes is called aibohphobia- which is a palindrome.
Black Holes hum B-flat. In scientific notation this note would be written Bb-53, or one vibrition every 10 million years

Last edited:
The Earth has more than one moon, just only one visible, big one that makes a full orbit.
The others are really small and have crescent shaped orbits, although I think there is another one that makes a full orbit.

Also on the way to school I like to read the Metro and there's one section called "No s**t Sherlock!"
It contains facts published by universities or scientists that are really obvious.
Examples:
"Teenagers who pledge not to remain virgins are least likely to have sex."
"Obese people are more depressed than usual when compared to a non-obese person."
"The Earth is the biggest thing in the world."

The Earth has more than one moon, just only one visible, big one that makes a full orbit.
The others are really small and have crescent shaped orbits, although I think there is another one that makes a full orbit.

... source?

Einstein had a brain with an unusual pattern of grooves.
It is theorized that everyone on earth it at least 60th cousins to one another.
Neanderthals were also calles Homo Sapiens. Modern humans are called Homo sapiens sapiens by some scientists.

Neanderthals were also calles Homo Sapiens.

Uh, no. They were h. neanderthalensis or, depending on who you ask, h. sapiens neanderthalensis. We're h. sapiens sapiens to distinguish between archaic h. sapiens.

Vulpix comes from vulpes, Latin for fox. Vulpeca comes from the same place; Vulpix isn't derived from that.

Ah. My mistake, seeing as I know absolutely no Latin whatsoever.

EDIT: I have more facts :3

If everyone in the world stood side by side, they could all fit on Jamaica.

In some parts of the Atacama Desert in Chile, rain has never been recorded.

In the 1800s, a Welsh village named Llanfairpwllgwyngyll was renamed Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwllllantysiliogogogoch, meaning, "St. Mary's church by the pool of white hazel trees, near the rapid whirlpool, by the red cave of the Church of St. Tysilio." They reverted back to the original name in 1988, but the railroad station is still called by the 52-letter version.

Last edited:
According to the Rules of Calculating Statistics (or whatever they are called), you can literally make up a statistic on the spot with no evidence and it could still be considered correct. 34.5% of people know this.

Mauna Kea could be called taller than Mt. Everest, as it stands 26 miles above the ocean floor that it stands on while Mt. Everest is 25 miles above sea level

May I add Mt. McKinley to the list? From the base up, it's about 6,000 feet taller than Everest. P=

And here's a few other facts, courtesy of Wikipedia:

- Ketchikan, Alaska, is one of the rainiest places in North America. On average, it annually receives over 12.5 feet of rain a year. The most rain recorded in Ketchikan would amount to approximately 17 feet.
- The Big Island of Hawai'i is the largest island in the U.S. Kodiak Island and Puerto Rico are the second and third, respectively.
- Because Sitka's city limits extend over almost all of Baranof Island and onto part of Chichagof Island, it is technically one of the largest cities in the world, area-wise.

Antarctica is the driest continent.
Nobody knows where the word 'dog' comes from.

Bumping this, but for a reason. Something on History channel last night was freaky.

Ice cream flavors in Japan include:

Shrimp
Snake
Eel
Ox Tongue

There you have the reason they made some pointless Pokemon like Kecleon.

Back
Top Bottom