• Welcome to The Cave of Dragonflies forums, where the smallest bugs live alongside the strongest dragons.

Guests are not able to post messages or even read certain areas of the forums. Now, that's boring, don't you think? Registration, on the other hand, is simple, completely free of charge, and does not require you to give out any personal information at all. As soon as you register, you can take part in some of the happy fun things at the forums such as posting messages, voting in polls, sending private messages to people and being told that this is where we drink tea and eat cod.

Of course I'm not forcing you to do anything if you don't want to, but seriously, what have you got to lose? Five seconds of your life?

Languages

Mon prof de français m'a rappelé que j'ai mes examens de français ce juin (une année tôt) - quelque chose que j'ai oublié complètement. Eurgh, je dois me preparer pour un examen dans lequel je dois parler pour cinq minutes. Je ne veux pas du tout perdre des notes, mais ma prononciation peut être mieux. S'il y a des français ici, je peut-être télécharger un enregistrement de moi ici pour critiquer...

Alors, moi, j'suis pas francais moi-meme, mais, comme je l'étudie depuis, euh, six ans, et comme j'ai eu au moins trois profs differents (et également j'ai un corres francais avec qui je parle fréquemment) qui étaient/sont francaise, il m'semble que j'ai une bonne idée de comment un vrai accent/une vrai prononciation francais doit sonner! Malheureusement, j'crois qu'il n'y a aucun francais ici sur tCoD... Donc si tu veux vraiment, j'peux t'aider, mais j'comprendrais si tu prefererais plutot un vrai francais XD

(Aussi, les examens orales sont rarement aussi difficle qu'ils ne le semblent avant d'avoir les passés! Bonne chance!)

Last edited:
Mon prof de français m'a rappelé que j'ai mes examens de français en juin (une année plus tôt que la norme) - quelque chose que j'avais complètement oublié. Eurgh, je dois me preparer pour un examen dans lequel je dois parler pendant cinq minutes. Je ne veux pas du tout perdre de notes, mais ma prononciation pourrait être meilleure. S'il y a des français ici, je peux peut-être télécharger un enregistrement de moi ici pour recevoir des critiques...

Alors, moi, j'suis pas francais moi-meme, mais, comme je l'étudie depuis, euh, six ans, et comme j'ai eu au moins trois profs differents (et j'ai également un corres francais avec qui je parle fréquemment) qui étaient/sont francais, il m'semble que j'ai une bonne idée de comment un vrai accent/une vrai prononciation francaise doit sonner! Malheureusement, j'crois qu'il n'y a aucun francais ici sur tCoD... Donc si tu veux vraiment, j'peux t'aider, mais j'comprendrais si tu prefererais plutot un vrai francais XD

(Aussi, les examens oraux sont rarement aussi difficiles qu'ils ne le semblent avant de les avoir réussis! Bonne chance!)
I TOOK THE LIBERTY OF CORRECTING SOME STUFF THAT SOUNDED WONKY (sometimes just wrong and sometimes grammatically okay but not very natural-sounding), IF YOU DON'T WANT ME TO I'LL STOP. I've lived in Brussels all my life and I don't have any noticeable foreign interferences in my accent, so I'd be glad to listen to your clip or record one or something :o either way I know accents.

Either way hello I speak Portuguese, Dutch, French and English, if you want to train in any of these feel free to ask. My spelling in French and Dutch might not be as good as my Portuguese and English since I don't have any classes in those languages, but grammar and such are fine.

I'm slowly learning Russian but since I've got a Swedish love interest I've been curious about that as well :v it looks super easy and I can already understand some of it (thanks to my awesome Dutch + English knowledge combo) but I don't know, audience, what do you think.

VPLJ, jo, svenska är ganska lätt. är lättare än Ryska, naturligtvis. kanske MD eller jag kunde lära dig några. jag är inte valdig bra på att prata svenska men ... jag vet inte.

p.s. använda Google Translate

Last edited:
I TOOK THE LIBERTY OF CORRECTING SOME STUFF THAT SOUNDED WONKY (sometimes just wrong and sometimes grammatically okay but not very natural-sounding), IF YOU DON'T WANT ME TO I'LL STOP.

Thank you, corrections are better than, erm, no corrections! (Although all the French French teachers I've had have been female, hence francaise and not francais, but you didn't know that! Also surely the second instance should have stayed as francais, since although prononciation is feminine, accent is masculine and one always defaults to masculine plural for multiple nouns? Oh, and I used 'passer' since I was talking more in the sense of 'before having sat them' rather than 'before having passed them'; I'm aware of the whole passer =/= pass in the context of exams thing, heh. But thank you anyway :3)

Annddd yeah you'd probably be more beneficial to Lorem Ipsum than I.

Last edited:
Mon francais ce n'est pas bon. Je voudrais continue learning dans some point, mais je suis tres poor et n'afford lessons pas. Sur le other main, it would probablement be pour le best if je just gave it up as a cause perdu.

Mon francais ce n'est pas bon. Je voudrais continue learning dans some point, mais je suis tres poor et n'afford lessons pas. Sur le other main, it would probablement be pour le best if je just gave it up as a cause perdu.

this. Totally this.

I applied to to a French module next year at university the other day :D

I suppose it's somewhat worrying that they put me in a post-GCSE-level class because I told them about my French GCSE and I've just realised my French is only marginally better than Dannichu's, but. :3

It's weird, I took spanish most of my life, but when I went on a foreign exhange for a month in Mexico city my grammar and spelling... well. No puedo escribir en español muy bien. Pero lo hablo muy bien. Lo utilizo todo el tiempo en mi trabajo. Pero estoy un fallo con la gramática y el deletreo. Utilizo mucho argot.

It's weird, I took spanish most of my life, but when I went on a foreign exhange for a month in Mexico city my grammar and spelling... well. No puedo escribir en español muy bien. Pero lo hablo muy bien. Lo utilizo todo el tiempo en mi trabajo. Pero estoy un fallo con la gramática y el deletreo. Utilizo mucho argot.

That's funny because I'm the opposite. Puedo escribir muy muy bien, pero no puedo hablar muy bien.

Mon francais, c'est pas bien. Je voudrais continuer a l'apprendre a un moment, mais je suis tres pauvre, et les lecons, je n'en ai pas les moyens. A l'autre part, il vaudrait mieux probablement si je le renoncerai tout simplement; c'est une véritable cause perdue.

:3

...Sorry, had to.

Last edited:
Thank you, corrections are better than, erm, no corrections! (Although all the French French teachers I've had have been female, hence francaise and not francais, but you didn't know that! Also surely the second instance should have stayed as francais, since although prononciation is feminine, accent is masculine and one always defaults to masculine plural for multiple nouns? Oh, and I used 'passer' since I was talking more in the sense of 'before having sat them' rather than 'before having passed them'; I'm aware of the whole passer =/= pass in the context of exams thing, heh. But thank you anyway :3)
Yeah, after I made the post I thought 'dang what if his teachers were all girls' but didn't bother going back to change it :( though there was a tiny mistake there as well since you used the singular form 'française' instead of the plural 'françaises'.
I'm not sure what I was thinking while typing the second one but I'm pretty sure I didn't notice 'accent' because yeah 'accent' is definitely 'français', but what you do is write 'accent/prononciation français(e)'. There might be a rule about what you explained but I am shamefully ignorant of any technical grammar terms (in any language, sobbu) and this is what I learnt in class. Our teacher was Belgian though so maybe she's UNTRUSTWORTHY. hisss
:3c

Zuu: Yeah, it probably would be easier to pick up than Russian and tbh both are roughly as useful. I was planning on learning German in the future but if I get Swedish instead that is also acceptable, but I'm still thinking about it. Thank you for the offer/tip though, I'll certainly consider it!

Last edited:
VPLJ, tu peux m'aider avec apprendre de parler francais mieux? Idealement j'appris de parler et ecouter mieux parce que ces sont les parts de francais qui me donne les plus problemes (grammar fail?). Ma grammaire n'est pas parfait, mais soit, je comprends les regles dans un niveau elementaire.

Ma copine m'a dit que je prononce les voyelles trop "fermé", un peu comme les neerlandais prononcent ses voyelles. Et plus il y a un chance je vais habiter a Belqiue dans le futur. Je ne sais pas quand/ou, mais je veux obtenir une stage (pour mes etudes) qui est en Belgique. C'est aussi parce que j'habiterai plus pres que ma copine.

(Elle parle anglais, mais je vais a Bruxelles souvent et les gens parlent tres mauvais neerlandais la bas).

Aussi, mes fautes sont souvent cause par traductions literale de neerlandais. :(

Phantom said:
No escribo el español muy bien. Pero lo hablo muy bien. Lo uso todo el tiempo en mi trabajo. Pero estoy un fallo (???) con la gramática y el deletreo. Utilizo mucho argot.
Judging by context, I'd say we're looking for a synonym for "fracaso".
...Actually, Google Translate says that's exactly what it is. Dunno the etymology, though; have to ask Phantom who he picked the word up from and where they're from (since my Mexican classmate in high school was from southern Mexico and only used fracaso). Fallar apparently means "to fail" in Spanish and Catalan, but...

Yeah. Since my last post in here was so long ago, updates:
English (Fluent, native. American, north midlands.)
Spanish (10.5 semesters)
French (2 semesters)
German (1 semester on pronunciation)
Italian (Less than one semester-equivalent)

Spent a total of about a week and a half in France, a week in Spain (Barcelona to Madrid), a week or so in Italy (Venice, Florence, Pisa, Rome), a week in Germany (Berlin), and less than a day in Mexico (Cozumel). Still need more practice.

Planning to visit Peru next spring on a study abroad trip. Hopefully I'll be fluent bu the end of it. If not, I'll just be going crazy about the food when I go home, either missing Peruvian food or binging on the American food you can't get in Peru. Also planning a trip this summer with the family to Germany in some parts. Not quite sure where yet, but I do think it'll be nice to see Germany where there's leaves on the trees.

Still'd like to learn some Russian, Arabic, maybe some flavor of Indian, some form of Chinese and Japanese. I've also decided that I'd like to pick up a Cajun accent for my French, and an Austrian accent for my German, just because Cajun French sounds wacky, and Austrian German seems to produced some of the most famous German voices of the modern era.

I've spoken Dutch and English since forever and by semester do you mean half a year? Cos in that case I have 8 for both French and German and spent countless time in Belgium

My problem is that I've actually never had to consciously learn a language, so it's kind of a pain in the ass to have to learn to learn ;__; my mother is Portuguese and my dad is Dutch so I always spoke those, I picked up French naturally since I live in Brussels and I somehow just figured out English by listening to my parents speak to each other (and freaked out my mother in the process by suddenly answering the phone in English).
I'M BAD AT PATIENCE >:c

VPLJ, tu peux m'aider avec apprendre de parler francais mieux? Idealement j'appris de parler et ecouter mieux parce que ces sont les parts de francais qui me donne les plus problemes (grammar fail?). Ma grammaire n'est pas parfait, mais soit, je comprends les regles dans un niveau elementaire.

Ma copine m'a dit que je prononce les voyelles trop "fermé", un peu comme les neerlandais prononcent ses voyelles. Et plus il y a un chance je vais habiter a Belqiue dans le futur. Je ne sais pas quand/ou, mais je veux obtenir une stage (pour mes etudes) qui est en Belgique. C'est aussi parce que j'habiterai plus pres que ma copine.

(Elle parle anglais, mais je vais a Bruxelles souvent et les gens parlent tres mauvais neerlandais la bas).

Aussi, mes fautes sont souvent cause par traductions literale de neerlandais. :(
Bien sur, je serais ravi de pouvoir t'aider! Je suis d'accord avec toi en ce qui concerne l'aptitude des Bruxellois à parler neerlandais -- il n'y a que 2 personnes sur 10 qui y parviennent... même si Bruxelles est en pleine region Flamande. M'enfin.

En passant, désolé si je fais plein d'erreurs en ecrivant :( je lis beaucoup de BD en français mais je ne parviens à écrire que moyenement. Veux-tu que je corrige ton post?

Do you understand alright when people speak French? My stepdad (who is also Dutch) is learning Portuguese and while he can pretty much understand any slow Portuguese convo and read newspapers and so on, he's lacking in the answering dept.

I've spoken Dutch and English since forever and by semester do you mean half a year? Cos in that case I have 8 for both French and German and spent countless time in Belgium

In this case, I mean half a year (or a course equivalent to such) in an educational setting, so yes.

Back
Top Bottom