• Welcome to The Cave of Dragonflies forums, where the smallest bugs live alongside the strongest dragons.

Guests are not able to post messages or even read certain areas of the forums. Now, that's boring, don't you think? Registration, on the other hand, is simple, completely free of charge, and does not require you to give out any personal information at all. As soon as you register, you can take part in some of the happy fun things at the forums such as posting messages, voting in polls, sending private messages to people and being told that this is where we drink tea and eat cod.

Of course I'm not forcing you to do anything if you don't want to, but seriously, what have you got to lose? Five seconds of your life?

Life after Death?

Because he's a jealous tool who has fucked up multiple times but his followers don't want to admit it because they want to uphold their images as righteous servants of the almighty lord and creator.

it has stayed popular long after that
sure, but not always because it was 'right', it has been used throughout history to manipulate societies in a particular way; eg. in the dark ages literacy was kept within the church, so only religious, god-favouring texts were created and only people like priests and such were able to read them - this was to ensure that nobody questioned the church.
You also have to take into account that what has remained popular was not the christianity that was popular in Rome - people have much more modern interpretations of the Bible and of Christianity than they did back then. You could probably say that in those times people were more Christian than modern Christians are today, because they followed the Bible and its teachings quite literally as superstitions about Hell and God in general were much more common and widely believed.

You keep going on about God wanting us to be able to choose, but why? ... What does free will even matter, if the world is perfect?

what do we matter without free will! we'd just be mindless minions - happy but unimportant. The world cannot be perfect without free will. A more relevant dystopian novel would be A Brave New World - dystopian for want of freedom.

what do we matter without free will! we'd just be mindless minions - happy but unimportant. The world cannot be perfect without free will. A more relevant dystopian novel would be A Brave New World - dystopian for want of freedom.

But we wouldn't know! We'd be happy! Why would we condemn ourselves willingly to suffer? What a sadomasochistic God, having us suffer in the name of free will just so we can worship his existence. I don't like this guy at all.

Sorry, haven't read that one either, though I know I should have.

In any case - why would we be unimportant without free will? Or, perhaps more appropriately: what exactly makes us important now? We still have absolutely no chance of doing anything that God hasn't already predicted and himself caused, so I don't really see the difference.

EDIT: Wait, "want for freedom"? We wouldn't have any of that if we were perfectly content.

what exactly makes us important now? We still have absolutely no chance of doing anything that God hasn't already predicted and himself caused, so I don't really see the difference.

he didn't cause it. we decided upon it - it's just that he knows what we are going to decide.

Wait, "want for freedom"? We wouldn't have any of that if we were perfectly content.

no, but it would still be a ghastly situation.

Again, in a perfect world like the one your omnipotent and benevolent God could create, we would have both free will and lack of evil. Somehow.

But, that's not our reality. So, we are back to the first question: why not? Maybe because one of the things you've been told about Him isn't true?

meh - I can never really understand God. The bible strongly points out that the lord moves in mysterious ways but that doesn't really seem satisfactory...

Note: throwing around dystopian novels is not a valid debating tactic.

The world cannot be perfect without free will.

The world cannot be perfect with free will.

eta: exciting idea: you can't understand god because she/he/it doesn't exist!

well the other idea is you can't understand god because he doesn't actually do anything, but he does exist

he was like "booyah here's a universe" and then fucked off

I don't mind deists - I mean I respect them because they're definitely more intellectual than people who believe god does shit. But still ... why choose to believe in a god who still has no evidence supporting his existence, and on top of that, can do /nothing/ for you?

FireChao said:
meh - I can never really understand God. meh, I can't answer your questions but I don't want you to look right

idk maybe they're just like "well i don't like the idea of just being chucked here, so somebody must have done it; can't say i care about what he's like"

I think it's more of "so I don't make the really religious think I am a crazy horribly atheist."

It depends on the kind of deism. Einstein was all "I see God in the natural laws of the universe etc etc" (paraphrasing) which is just slightly more poetic atheism.

Back
Top Bottom