• Welcome to The Cave of Dragonflies forums, where the smallest bugs live alongside the strongest dragons.

Guests are not able to post messages or even read certain areas of the forums. Now, that's boring, don't you think? Registration, on the other hand, is simple, completely free of charge, and does not require you to give out any personal information at all. As soon as you register, you can take part in some of the happy fun things at the forums such as posting messages, voting in polls, sending private messages to people and being told that this is where we drink tea and eat cod.

Of course I'm not forcing you to do anything if you don't want to, but seriously, what have you got to lose? Five seconds of your life?

Life after Death?

I think our own goodness is just that, our own. (and our not-so-goodness too) If me loving someone or just being happy was the result of some higher being and not my own self, I'd feel kinda...worthless.

As for the life after death thing, I would like to believe that there is some sort of spiritual afterlife, but not like heaven or hell or anything. But what one believes and what actually is are two different things, and so there is probably nothing after death..

See, it doesn't matter what the other person believes in. We all have different beliefs, and unless we accept our differences, stop arguing, and move on, we're all just going to kill ourselves. So, let's be good children, hold hands, and get along. That's what Jesus taught us, right?

This is the Debating Hall. If people want to stop arguing then they can leave, sure, but it's silly to ask everyone to stop arguing their opinions in a debate. This isn't like a thread in Misc. Discussion, these threads are for debating.

While it'd be nice to have an afterlife, I know that it's very unlikely there is one (and even if there is- I know it won't be based on something so centered around humanity as Christianity), but I would like to be able to reflect on my life and watch over my loved ones.
I don't believe in 'souls'. I don't think your soul goes off with all the other souls when you've died or something or becomes born again. I think death is the end of the line, when you just cease to be conscious.

God is, by very definition, love, magnificense, joy, purity, etc. etc. There is nothing of any of these things without God, and any time one of these things is present in something, it is God Himself.

Why are you calling love God? Love isn't anything fantastical, might as well just call it love, you know?

This is the Debating Hall. If people want to stop arguing then they can leave, sure, but it's silly to ask everyone to stop arguing their opinions in a debate. This isn't like a thread in Misc. Discussion, these threads are for debating.

It just bothers me how everyone is fighting over religion...I mean, no one's ever going to win, anyway. There's no evidence supporting the existence of deities or a single deity, so there's little to debate here. And anything that is debated is based on speculation and beliefs.

On second thought, if I could meet my dog in heaven, that would be really cool.

Doctor Jimmy said:
It just bothers me how everyone is fighting over religion...I mean, no one's ever going to win, anyway. There's no evidence supporting the existence of deities or a single deity, so there's little to debate here. And anything that is debated is based on speculation and beliefs.

Well nobody's looking for a genuine answer and I doubt either party really thinks they're going to convince the other of their beliefs (especially not on a moderately popular pokemon forum, much less the internet); a debate doesn't have to come to a conclusion. Many people come to the Debating Hall to express and argue for their views because they feel strongly about them, because they like debating, or both.
The Debating Hall hasn't ever really been about 'winning'; it's not an actual structured debate, it's just a place to discuss controversial subjects like religion, homosexuality, etc.

I don't see how religion wouldn't come into a debate about the afterlife, particularly when the Christian idea of the afterlife (hell/heaven) is probably the most referenced in Western culture.

Actually, there may be some evidence for the existence of souls. There is a law of science that says energy cannot be created or destroyed, it can only change form. Now, there is a sort of energy field that controls the human conscience. And, according to the aforementioned law, something must happen to this energy when we die... Could the energy field that controls our brains function as a sort of "soul" after death?
By the way, would people please stop immediately shooting down every religious idea because there is a "lack of physical evidence?" I'm not super religious myself, but still... must there be concrete proof for everything about life?

Actually, there may be some evidence for the existence of souls. There is a law of science that says energy cannot be created or destroyed, it can only change form. Now, there is a sort of energy field that controls the human conscience. And, according to the aforementioned law, something must happen to this energy when we die... Could the energy field that controls our brains function as a sort of "soul" after death?
I find it very interesting that you're trying to support the existence of souls by citing the laws of physics.

By the way, would people please stop immediately shooting down every religious idea because there is a "lack of physical evidence?" I'm not super religious myself, but still... must there be concrete proof for everything about life?
Well, pretty much, yeah. Of course, we're all human. We can't help our irrationality. But technically speaking - yes, there must.

Now, there is a sort of energy field that controls the human conscience. And, according to the aforementioned law, something must happen to this energy when we die... Could the energy field that controls our brains function as a sort of "soul" after death?

I would love to see your source about this "energy field".

I would love to see your source about this "energy field".
He's probably thinking of the electricity within the brain.

sagefo, that energy doesn't suddenly disappear the moment you die; while you're alive, the brain consumes electrical energy you get from food, and when you die, the conversion stops for obvious reasons. Don't think of death as the point where the energy disappears; think of it as the point where it stops being refilled.

Yeah I was going to ask about this energy field because I did get shitty grades in physics but er
must there be concrete proof for everything about life?
Yes? I mean, some things we have yet to discover, but doesn't it make more sense to believe in something you have proof exists? I don't care if you worship God, Allah or some guy from Twilight but that's a pretty strange thing to say.

Valhala. Yeah, baby~

srspost, I do believe in an afterlife. Or, more to the point, I believe that death is the beginning of something new. Reincarnation and all that. I have my own personal proof of this, nothing I can show anyone here, and if I were to say, no one would believe me (well, maybe some, but now many).

My belief of the afterlife is too complicated for my tired mind to organize and post, but it's really very awesome. Chillin' in Summerland until you wanna go and be sentient again. Great stuff.

For the record, souls have no "race" or "species". A soul decides what it wants to be (human, cat, whale, martian, tree), and then shoots off to be born as such.

That's what I believe.

He's a Wiccan, dude. Wiccans are weird.

Personally I was always more into Greek mythology...

You have a point, and the brain is something that should be questioned. After all, we know nothing about it. However, assuming that an afterlife exists because of the electric field is an argument that is lacking in evidence.

Also, here's something to consider about reincarnation: some organisms, like earthworms, have lesser-capable brains. And most organisms are not self-aware. Because of this, how would our brainpower would fit into their brains?

Last edited:
what do you mean, "we know nothing about it"? we know *tons* of things about the human brain.

*Wiccan-weirds all over the place*

Yeah the Greeks were pretty interesting. Wouldn't mind hanging with Hades (and Persephone half the year) after death.

You have a point, and the brain is something that should be questioned. After all, we know nothing about it.
o.O What exactly are you basing this on?

I think it's true that we know little about the brain, but not nothing. And I disagree that we need 'concrete proof' of this or that for it to be meaningful - we're not going to find proof. We simply need evidence, or at any rate some sense of how we would go about getting evidence.

I'M A DUMB SHIT THEREFORE I DON'T GET THE BRAIN SO GOD/AFTERLIFE EXISTS

argument from personal incredulity sucksssss

Deciding that it's pretty likely nothing happens after you die is not brave.

EDIT: Well apparently it won't let me quote Dezzuu's post so yeah this was directed at him.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom