• Welcome to The Cave of Dragonflies forums, where the smallest bugs live alongside the strongest dragons.

Guests are not able to post messages or even read certain areas of the forums. Now, that's boring, don't you think? Registration, on the other hand, is simple, completely free of charge, and does not require you to give out any personal information at all. As soon as you register, you can take part in some of the happy fun things at the forums such as posting messages, voting in polls, sending private messages to people and being told that this is where we drink tea and eat cod.

Of course I'm not forcing you to do anything if you don't want to, but seriously, what have you got to lose? Five seconds of your life?

Life after Death?

I know you guys aren't big on logic

That's a stereotpe.

Your God is supposed to be 100% benevolent, right? And he is the sole creator of the human brain/consciousness? And everything humans do is supposed to be all in God's plan, right? Taking this into account, it is extremely illogical that the very same benevolent God would deny a person entrance into Heaven based on his or her thoughts or actions in life. I mean, you have to ignore some contradicting bits of your religion, but that's what Christianity is all about.

Ehh. My former Christian self wants to go against it, but, wow, it makes perfect sense. Can't really get around that.

That's a stereotpe.
No, it's not. It's a quality. You can't be a good Christian without dismissing loads of logical concepts and ideas.
By "a good Christian" I mean, of course, someone who accepts the Holy Bible as nonfiction. A full Christian.

No, it's not. It's a quality. You can't be a good Christian without dismissing loads of logical concepts and ideas.

OK. Name something.

Wow, I'm gonna skrew this up.

(Gah. This is getting so off topic).

Actually, Xikaze, if I heard my Theology teachers correctly, the Bible isn't supposed to be taken as all nonfiction; some of it is most likely symbolism. Like the creation story.

Evolution.

Oh. That's an easy one. Though my answer, I am sure, will in no way suffice you.

You see, the Bible, in no way, denies this. Since evolution is just change in a species over time, there is no reason we shouldn't have changed.

The Bible just says that God created the original species. There is, actually, no denying things have changed since then. Anyone who tries to deny this, well, is ignorant, no way around it.

I only think that the Christians don't like to believe that we all evolved from a speck in the oceon.

Did I just reenstane things over and overr again? Meh. Anyway, I hope that cleared some things up.

Actually, Xikaze, if I heard my Theology teachers correctly, the Bible isn't supposed to be taken as all nonfiction; some of it is most likely symbolism. Like the creation story.

No, I am pretty sure the guys that wrote the bible meant it to be taken seriously. And so did the Christian church until recently when realized that believing every word of it made them sound pretty crazy. So they've toned it down a little, and you see churches do the whole "well it's actually just lots and lots of symbolic things that kind of mimic things that actually happened."

And thus, most Christians today are just kind-of Christians. Back in the day, though, when Christianity was in its defining stages, you were a Christian if you took the Holy Bible as fact. You weren't a Christian if you just thought the stories were a good-sounding collection of symbolic stories. Just like you weren't a Jew if you just thought the Torah was just some good-sounding symbolism and you weren't a Muslim if you just thought the Qur'an was just some good-sounding symbolism.

The Bible just says that God created the original species.

Are you talking about the same Bible I'm talking about? What happened to the Creation story? Adam and Eve and all that?

There is, actually, no denying things have changed since then. Anyone who tries to deny this, well, is ignorant, no way around it.

I don't really have much to say to this, other than, yeah. Yeah they are.

Are you talking about the same Bible I'm talking about? What happened to the Creation story? Adam and Eve and all that?

Yeah. They created the humans and all the species, which, undoubtly, have changed since then. Unless I'm really confused.

Anyway, I'm happy I've made a hot topic and all, but this isn't the place. Make a thread, or VM each other, but musn't muddle the point of a thread.

Oh. That's an easy one. Though my answer, I am sure, will in no way suffice you.

You see, the Bible, in no way, denies this. Since evolution is just change in a species over time, there is no reason we shouldn't have changed.

The Bible just says that God created the original species. There is, actually, no denying things have changed since then. Anyone who tries to deny this, well, is ignorant, no way around it.

I only think that the Christians don't like to believe that we all evolved from a speck in the oceon.

Did I just reenstane things over and overr again? Meh. Anyway, I hope that cleared some things up.

1:21 - "So God created the great creatures of the sea and every living and moving thing with which the water teems, according to their kinds, and every winged bird according to its kind. And God saw that it was good."

Excuse me for making an assumption, but this seems to imply that everything that is in this Earth's oceans and skies was there at creation. Also, it is implying that birds existed at the time of the creation of the earth and before creatures lived on land. No matter how you twist that, it makes no sense based on what we know thanks to the fossil record. Correct me if I'm wrong, of course, but ... yeah.

edit: also, if you're an "ex-Christian", why are you being so bitter and trying to argue? :/

Last edited:
Now on the matter that Spaekle Oddberry brought up about too many souls, I believe I read somewhere that space is continually expanding. Oh, and animals don't have souls. Their brains shut off and their gone. Animals are almost like robots. Remove the batteries and they stop going.

...you've never had a pet before, have you?

There's also the point that humans are animals, just more complicated than most. I know I didn't really make that point in my earlier post but :V.

You can't just cross things out of the Bible and put new things in and expect nobody to notice. The Bible doesn't work like that.

So long as you do actually believe the things you're arguing, it is.

I'm sorry. I am always put into the group I don't agree with in my debating elective, so you can imagine why I would assume that.

Oh, okay then. I was just a little worried that you legitimately believed some of the ideas you brought up.

Back on topic, then! Afterlife.

(Of course we're not going to get through this without touching up on religion again, but..) </spam>

well yeah, afterlife is a pretty darned religious thing

Well, true. (Gah! Stupid one liners)

Nothing I can say until someone else comments. I already gave my two cents.

Life after death... is mysterious. Mainly because there is absolutely no way to know about it.

There's not really an explanation, due to what I said above. If you die and stop existing, then everyone would forget about you because you don't exist in your minds either. However, Cryptica and I dream of dead people all the time (especially her :'<). So there has to be some existence somewhere. As in, a different dimension?

And even if you did die, as what I said first, and dream walking isn't an option, how would you contact the mortals that still exist? That is my main thought on why we don't know about this stuff.

When people say things "don't exist," they do. There's no way a particular thing, whether it's an idea or a [previously] living organism, cannot exist because it is in your mind. So countless alternate dimensions must be true; after all, there can't just be this universe, I don't think.

This relates to the topic because life after death does exist, but who knows where you go after you die? It could be anything from being doomed to dream-walk and nothing else (since someone has to know about you o_O) to being reincarnated as something else that was like you in your previous life. There's really endless possibilities; possibilities that are unlimited, possibilities that compare to the numerous ideas of humans themselves.

Or maybe there just is no life. Is it a simulation? A dream that we wake from into a completely different realm, or life? Is death a fall into an endless dream that keeps our pleasures in life close?

Now on the matter that Spaekle Oddberry brought up about too many souls, I believe I read somewhere that space is continually expanding. Oh, and animals don't have souls. Their brains shut off and their gone. Animals are almost like robots. Remove the batteries and they stop going.
Yeah except that you can replace the batteries in a robot and robots don't feel pain. By your logic I can go outside, get a cat and slice it into bits and get off scot-free.

Back
Top Bottom