• Welcome to The Cave of Dragonflies forums, where the smallest bugs live alongside the strongest dragons.

Guests are not able to post messages or even read certain areas of the forums. Now, that's boring, don't you think? Registration, on the other hand, is simple, completely free of charge, and does not require you to give out any personal information at all. As soon as you register, you can take part in some of the happy fun things at the forums such as posting messages, voting in polls, sending private messages to people and being told that this is where we drink tea and eat cod.

Of course I'm not forcing you to do anything if you don't want to, but seriously, what have you got to lose? Five seconds of your life?

Open MASQUE CARNIVALIA: MELANCHOLY HILL

[I had a post, a brilliant post that I typed out with my phone.... then the forum decided that it was prime time for the server to be busy. Damn you server!!]

"Alyx," she replied with a nod. She gave the Glaceon one last glare. Bullies. She hated bullies so much.

After saying his name Lester started off after Jayy, who was awkwardly gliding along the fence. She turned to the others. "I have no idea what we are supposed to do here, but I have the feeling that unless we help Jayy that we aren't going to get out of here until the fence rusts to nothing but dust." At that she turned and padded after Lester, who already was already talking to Jayy.

"Hey," she announced to the two, "I'm Alyx, since you missed that part. I figured that the first thing we should do is help you rejoin the gravity-bound, then maybe stick that Glaceon in a sauna," she finished with a soft smile.

Last edited:
Sammy pulled at the back of her neck. Just her luck that nearly every single other person in this damned carnival showed up. Now she was the Carnival Bully. What were these people, small children? Well, it didn't matter now. She'd make good on her promise to return, but for now she had to think of how to do it. Looking stupid wasn't what concerned her. She had to make herself... Well, useful. Or at least make it believable she was sorry.

She was running through as many scenarios as she could think of when she heard a new voice. That much was a relief. None of the others had come to lecture her or anything, it seemed.

When she looked, it was another Carnie, an Escavalier from the looks of him.

"Are you okay?"

What could she say? That she was just a bully with no friends in this hellhole? That might buy her pity, but she didn't want pity.

Still, this one hadn't been there before, so she still had at least one potential ally. So she'd act somewhat amiable for once. "I'm fine, just... Just cooling off in here until the temperature drops." She said. "I'm Samantha, by the way." Her fingertips touched her collar bone. "And, you are...?"

Maybe there was a more rusted part in the fence somewhere to whack open. Maybe she could pry it apart. Or maybe she could still float over it. Jayy didn't care. She just wanted out. She didn't want to deal with Samantha, nor the others. Though they weren't proving as difficult as the Glaceon—they had stood up for her, after all—she still wanted to be alone. It didn't matter what they had done. It would be beneficial to them as well to deal with one less Carnie, anyways, right?

Oh, but then, just as she was awkwardly glide-walking away, that same voice from earlier broke through her concentration. Tentatively she slowed her already gradual pace and looked over to the Scizor morph, and eventually she came to a complete stop. The Driftblim rose a few inches from the ground as she turned herself toward him, and blinked.

"... It... It is," she answered, her voice low. She guessed he and the other three—some other girl had come up during that time, too—had caught her name when she had stuttered it for the Ice Carnie. Her right hand reached out to lace into the chain links as she watched him speak to her—the way he spoke already said a lot about him. It wasn't really stammering, but rather jumbled up thoughts that couldn't exactly be conveyed into words; not words he provably wanted, anyway, to say his thoughts clearly. ... At least, that was what Jayy got from it.

She didn't mull over it too long, though, as it didn't really matter, and slowly nodded her head at his concern. "Yes, I... I'm perfectly alright." Her voice didn't back up her words all that much, however. If anything her thoughts were as scrambled up as his, supposing he was what she had assumed, as she wasn't exactly as good with verbal phrases as she was visual ones.

The Houndoom morph had jogged up soon after Jayy's response—Alyx, she had stated her name as. It was at this point the Ghost girl realized she hadn't caught the boy's name, but decided to ask it later. He'd give it to her eventually, anyways. "I... Well, I..." She couldn't very well say to them that she was planning on escaping, now could she? But perhaps if she had a reasonable, logical explanation to back it up...

"I'm... uh... I was actually going to put this gravity-resistance to good use first," Jayy explained softly, turning back to the fence. "You see, if I... Well, if I float over the fence onto the other side, I..." She briefly let go of the fence and floated up a few more inches before latching herself to it once again. "I might can see something I couldn't on this side. Something that, um, something that could prove... useful. For getting... over it, and all." She glanced back at Alyx and the boy, hoping her words would suffice to their satisfaction.

Titus looked over at Jayy, Calyx, and Lester. He sighed, and stood up. He didn't like getting involved with others, but it seemed he had no choice. He walked up behind the Houndoom and Scizor Carnies, just in time to hear Jayy say "...I might can see something I couldn't on this side." Titus looked right at her and said, "We both know that's not what you're thinking. I mean, if you could get to the other side, you would be, what? A few steps farther? I doubt you could see much more." He took another breath, and continued, "I'm not exactly sure what you're planning, but I suggest you don't."

He looked at all three of them once again, and then walked away, perhaps to gather the other Carnies (Titus still wasn't sure about Samantha, though.) As he headed towards the tents, he thought to himself, I hope I didn't make myself look like an idiot. Haven't had much practice in that.

Thomas looked at Samantha. Something seemed off, but it didn't quite register. "I'm Thomas. Thomas Winters." He glanced around. The tent was as bland as the one he was in earlier.

"Why can't we have decent tents? Or temperature controled areas for those of us that are... more sensitive?"

Samantha had mentioned something about the temperature cooling down. Her skin, Thomas noticed, was a really light blue. "I see now. An ice-type."

"So, if you want the temperature cooled down, you must be an Ice-type. I," Thomas looked at himself, "Well. I don't really know what I am."

"Why the hell am I opening up to her?" Thomas chewed on his lip. "Should I go?" He glanced back at her. "If she was leaving the other group, maybe she needed someone to talk to. I'll stay."

"Well yeah, I'm an Ice-Type." Sammy realized right after she said it that her voice had just the slightest tone of annoyance, and she immediately looked at her feet and cleared her throat to make it clear she didn't mean anything by it.

Thomas. Funny, for having the last name "Winters," he seemed awfully unused to the cold. "Well, I figured you were an Escavalier. You know, lance-wrist. Flaming red mohawk."

She sat down with a sigh. "This place just sucks for all of us." She moaned. Too hot for her, too cold for Thomas, even people like Jayy who don't give a damn about nature and weather felt like she was some common enemy of theirs. Nobody wins.

"Well, Thomas, I suppose it's only polite of me to offer you a seat." She scooped up some snow that had drifted into the tent and tossed it back and forth between her hands. "So come on in."

"Well, I figured you were an Escavalier. You know, lance-wrist. Flaming red mohawk." Samantha had told him. "Escavalier, huh. No wonder this cold is killing me, I'm a bug for Arceus sake."

Thomas still stood in the entryway of the tent, but when she offered him a seat, he stepped inside. He was thinking about her last comment, "This place just sucks for all of us."

"Yeah, it does." He moved some snow around in order to sit. He took a seat on the opposite side of the tent, not that it mattered.

Not wanting to sit still, he used his spear and drew little pictures in the snow. He started off with a rabbit, followed by a butterfly. "I'm losing it... that's all there is." He looked up at Samantha.

"So you were at that concert too."

Lester listened patiently to Jayy's excuse. The Kingler morph walked in, said his piece, and walked away. Lester figured that was a bit strange to not stick around for more conversation, but he didn't question it any more.

He sighed. "Well, I don't think... That is, you probably would have already put it to the test, if you actually thought it would get you anywhere. You'd be free-but you wouldn't have anywhere to go." He began to basically think out loud rather than talk to Jayy. His voice got a bit quieter, but his usual stammering ceased.

"Even if we all got out, there's nowhere to turn. You can only stay here, and play their game, or else risk death at the end of a scalpel. If any of us had any chance of making it out and living, they'd have invested in more than a fence. We're stuck here, until we find a way to turn ourselves back."

His mind dropped back into the real world, and he felt his eyes turn sticky. He rubbed them sleepily, and drew half of a circle in the snow with his foot.

[[Dangit, Yoshi, I wanted her to cut her hands all up like that time on Skype D:<]]

Hmm. So it appeared not to work, after all. Not that Jayy was the best liar, of course, but she at least thought it would've gotten them thinking a bit.

It did do at least that much, though.

That Kingler boy had come up and voiced his thoughts on the matter, apparently seeing right through the Driftblim's front, and soon after walked away. Jayy could only blink after him, her facial expression not souring in the slightest. Well, it didn't really matter if they didn't believe her or not—she could still float over the fence whenever she wanted. The could surely stop her from doing so, but she knew they wouldn't. But perhaps she wouldn't have to resort to that; perhaps the Scizor Carnie and the Houndoom girl would still believe her.

However, one of the two already gave her his thoughts on the matter, saying with less of a studder that he knew she could get over it easily, but wouldn't have anywhere to go. Surely a fence, though, would provide some isolation, Jayy reassured her conscience mentally, her hold on the chain links loosening. She kept her maroon eyes on the boy as he finished up in a quieter tone, and didn't do much for a moment. Eventually, though, she gave him a nod as he drew with his boot in the snow. "Indeed, you are correct," she responded, her voice low, "However... There is absolutely no risk in trying. I have nothing to lose, either way."

With that, she let go of the fence completely, and as she began to rise in the air, her eyes lingered on the Dark and Steel Elementals before quickly turning to the fence. She was getting close to the barbed wire now... Almost there...

Her hand shot out for a portion where the barbs were less in number and tightly grabbed ahold of it, but not without holding back a yelp. Sure enough it saved her from floating off and never to be seen again, but regardless the metal thorns had dug into her clenched palm, puncturing clear through the skin. Jayy tried her hardest to ignore the pain, though, as she reached one hand down further to reach for the fence again. Unfortunately it was too far away, resulting in her having to instead grip more of the wire, and ultimately resulting in more wounds. Eventually she could grab the fence again and climbed down to the bottom, leaving marks of red on the chain links as she descended. She had indeed made it to the other side.

Of course, her privacy didn't come without a price. The small holes in her hands were nothing to play around with, and the thought of having to go back over the fence had been in her mind for some time. Nevertheless she had ignored her doubt and gone through, though she couldn't help but think she had made a mistake.

Her heels dug into the ground again as she faced the two through the chains, her bloody hands holding onto the fence shakily. The feel of the metal against the open wounds was excruciating, so she tried not to brush the holes against the fence as best as she could. Slowly her eyes met the Scizor boy's again, and her head dipped. "... It... feels much more free on this side," she said softly, her gaze soon falling to the ground. She knew her brazenness would cost her, perhaps in whatever trust she had earned or respect she was given up to now, but... at least they couldn't physically harm her whilst on the other side of the fence... Right?

Thomas cleared up a spot for himself to sit, and was doodling in the snow. Samantha watched the rabbit and butterfly take form. She guessed he must be ready for summer.

He brought up the concert, and she scoffed. "Yeah, my friend Amanda told me it would be fun. I'm not even a fan of soft rock, but she was really insistent." She pulled her knees up to her chin and sat silently for a second more. "She always got me in more trouble than I needed her to." She started thinking about the time before that her Amanda had screwed her over.

Amanda had convinced her to drink some booze. She'd gotten herself drunk before long, and her boyfriend took her home. He couldn't get her to lay down, so he'd left her in her house. When she woke up, she had a pack of hot dogs and some stuffed animals around her; specifically, a chicken, a dog, and a dinosaur.

"Anyway," She continued. "I feel like the concert was a century ago. Another lifetime. So, here we are," She drew a snowflake with her finger. "All alone." The word "alone" felt heavy in her throat. She'd always been resented by people; that was just how it was. But she'd always had someone to turn to. She'd never been universally hated. Not like this.

"The concert, well, it did feel like a millennium ago." He continued drawing; the rabbit and butterfly now sided by a frog, bird, and Pikachu.

Thomas glances over at Samantha. Her finger is working in the snow. He watched her finger move, forming a snowflake. "That's nice." He looked up at her face. Her knees were near her chin. She looked like she was remembering.

"So, here we are," she began speaking again after speaking about the concert, "All alone." Thomas watched her.

"We're not completely alone." He wanted to hug her, make her feel better. "There are those others, outside the tent. But, the way Samantha was walking away from them, I don't think they'll be much help."

"Samantha, we're not alone. We, at least, have each other." Thomas sighed. He focused back on the ground, beginning a Glaceon.

Last edited:
Lester doubted he could convince Jayy. She claimed there was absolutely no risk in trying. He was about to mention the barb wire, and the chance of her floating away, but she was already drifting upwards.

He stared at the barbed wire as her hand shot out to grab it. She yelped, and he flinched a little. She crawled down slowly, and Lester came to the fence. She planted her feet once more, and Lester watched her hands shake uneasily.

"...It... feels much more free on this side," She said.

Lester sighed. His fingers wrapped around the chains, and his claw sat by he side limply. "Does-er, sorry... Are you, uh, are you okay?" He didn't look directly at Jayy, or her wounds. He wanted to ask her why she did a stupid thing like that, why she went and got herself hurt for no reason. But he couldn't form the words with his lips.

Alyx stepped toward the fences, hesitating as she brushed the metal links. Just a little fence, she thought sadly. Just a little fence between us and the rest of the world. She sighed. It might as well be a ten foot wall. Lester was right, if any of them managed to make it out without somehow finding out how to be normal again, they'd end up experiments in a lab. Or worse.

She reached to touch the fence again, but stopped when she saw her hand. Pitch black furred and clawed. She closed her eyes. Her tail twitched like it had a mind of its own. Fuck, what's happened to me? Why me? Sure she was better off than some, at least she wasn't anti-gravity, but still... She was a monster. Black fur, huge horns, and a tail. She had a tail. Her legs... they weren't even human anymore.

She fought back tears. From what she could tell, she was the oldest in the group, she couldn't let them see her get upset. What would Dad say? she thought to herself, thinking back. She was shocked to find that she couldn't really remember his voice. Had it really been that long?

"...It... feels much more free on this side."

Alyx smiled weakly. "Of course it does, you're not stuck inside a fence anymore."

Not alone.

Thomas Winters. Samantha mulled over the name while her finger slid lazily across the snow.

Each other. Her eyes flashed up to Thomas, and she studied him. He seemed like he had a lot going through his mind that he didn’t say. Her eyes returned to her own finger. It looked like the snowflake was falling into the center of a rose.

She wondered briefly if Thomas was making a move on her, but quickly knocked the idea out of her head, reminding herself that that was a stupid thing to think at a time like this. She needed to keep her mind occupied. “Well, either way, it doesn’t seem like we’re going anywhere quickly. But when we do find a way out of this…” She gave Thomas a crooked grin. “I don’t know about you, but I plan on giving a bit of payback to those freaks that did this.” While she’d talked, her finger had drawn one of the masks that those men had been wearing. With a newfound satisfaction, she slashed through the mask with her finger, and her tail curled around to the front of her legs.

Thomas sat and listened. His spear continued to draw a Glaceon. It took shape more and more.

“Well, either way, it doesn’t seem like we’re going anywhere quickly. But when we do find a way out of this…” Samantha had said. Thomas looked up at her just in time to see a grin come across her face. “I don’t know about you, but I plan on giving a bit of payback to those freaks that did this.”

"Hell yea! Payback." Thomas gave a light laugh. He watched as Samantha put a slash through a mask she had been drawing.

"One love, one life." He let a lighthearted laugh out, wondering if Samantha would get the reference. "Let's do it." Thomas stood, brushing the light dust of snow of his pants.

"That boy, Lester. He was rummaging the stalls when I found him. Maybe I can find something to help us out, for at least tonight."

He looked at her. "We'll need supplies to survive the night. We can plan in the morning." He put his only hand out to her, "Do you want to come help find them?"

Alyx looked at the sky, now much darker than it'd been before. "The sun's going down," she said. She looked down at the snow at their feet, then glanced at Jayy through the fence. "It's just going to get colder. Maybe you should come back over," she paused, "I mean, if you want to. But it might not be a good idea wandering around... floating around... in the dark."

"I-" she stopped, tail twithing nervously. This was going to be one of the weirdest sentences she'd ever said. "I'm a Houndoom, and if I'm right, there's an Arcanine, uh, person, here too. We could make a fire. Maybe relax and try to figure this mess out." She looked at Lester. "What do you guys say?"

Last edited:
"Yes...I'm an Arcanine." Vesta said. "I'm not....sure how to begin, though. Do I just think of fire and blo-."

A burst of fire erupted from her mouth. Thankfully, it hit a nearby tree.

"Um..." Vesta muttered, blushing, "Sorry?"

Lester wiped his glasses off. He put them back on his nose, and ran his hand through his hair. Fire was good... "We'll probably need something to melt snow in so we have water..." He said. "A real shelter... There's all these tents, but I'm not sure how they'd hold up if a blizzard came through." He sighed, and pressed his fingers to his temples.

He looked over at Jayy. "She's right, you know. I mean, about coming back. There's nothing over there, or nothing worthwhile anyway. It's freedom, but... You know, hollow." He looked back at the ferris wheel. Then the Arcanine started trying to figure out how to breathe fire.

And if Lester had any hair on his arm, it would have been singed off. He jumped back, and after a quick inspection of his arm, found that the armor had done its job. He took a deep breath. "That was... Less than pleasant." A tree took the fire, and Lester watched it burn. A tree on fire. We'll see if that spreads or not. "We'll need some wood. I'm not sure how powerful this is..." He lifted his claw and clicked it a couple of times. "But maybe it's strong enough to break some of these stalls up."

Titus looked up at the sky. Was it really that late already? He considered going back to the others, and soon smelled smoke. Okay, so they got a fire going. That was good. He turned around, and much to his surprise, a tree was on fire. "Fire's fire, I suppose," he said to himself. He headed back to the other Carnies.

He got back to them just in time to hear Lester talk about breaking up the stalls. "You need any help with that?" Titus asked, "I don't know much about Pokemon biology, but I heard Kingler claws are pretty powerful. What was it, 10,000 horsepower?"

Sammy looked up at Thomas with a smirk. He said, "One love, one life," which she thought odd at first, but after a second recalled hearing it in a song a few times. He agreed with her to return the favor to the Freaks.

She looked at the Glaceon he had in the snow. It was nice. He said something about supplies, and offered to help her up. She studied his face for a moment, then with a small laugh, cast her hand up to his. His hand was like a fire, but it was a comforting flame more than a painful one. She stood up and brushed back a few loose hairs on her head. "I guess you mean 'find the other carnies?'" She pulled at her shirt and wiped her hands off. "I can't say they'll be too happy to have me around. I didn't exactly make the best first impression." She thought about the others.

She had a lot of options; go storming back and demand to be included, run back crying into their shoulders, acting like she had dementia or multi-personality disorder... The list went on. The options all rushed through her mind in an instant, and she decided the best course of action was in just a simple apology, whatever it was worth. Especially given how Jayy seemed to be. Still... "Maybe you should go ahead of me." She told Thomas, rubbing her wrist. "I'll join up in a bit, I think. I need to talk to Jayy alone first thing, without anyone getting in my way, so... You know how it is."

Back
Top Bottom