• Welcome to The Cave of Dragonflies forums, where the smallest bugs live alongside the strongest dragons.

Guests are not able to post messages or even read certain areas of the forums. Now, that's boring, don't you think? Registration, on the other hand, is simple, completely free of charge, and does not require you to give out any personal information at all. As soon as you register, you can take part in some of the happy fun things at the forums such as posting messages, voting in polls, sending private messages to people and being told that this is where we drink tea and eat cod.

Of course I'm not forcing you to do anything if you don't want to, but seriously, what have you got to lose? Five seconds of your life?

Open MASQUE CARNIVALIA: MELANCHOLY HILL

Alyx jumped out of instinct as a trail of flames burst from Vesta's mouth, engulfing a nearby tree in flames. She gawked at Vesta. "Not, uh, exactly what I meant," she said, trying not to snicker. She watched the fire for a second. It was warm, inviting, all too much so. Fire type, she thought in the back of her mind. Of course a fire type would be a bit of a pyro. "I think we might want to, you know, put that out somehow."

She gazed at the Kingler morph. "Water attacks?"

[[WOOO LET'S BURN ULQI ON THAT TREE. Sorry for my absence, my lovelies. Also improvising this a bit to save for lost time.]]

Jayy could see it on their faces—both Alyx and the boy didn't approve of her decision. Though they didn't outwardly say it, of course; well, perhaps the Scizor did in a way, but... It didn't matter. She looked back at the ground before logistical thinking regained the reigns of her conscience, and the Driftblim began to realized it had been a rather rash decision. ... In fact, ever since she was morphed, it appeared as though all her thoughts were more rash and brazen.

That, of course, wasn't a good sign.

It was a symbol of de-evolution. Reverting to primitive ways because of her situation. Becoming feral and insane were the next steps, Jayy knew, and she wasn't about to let that happen. She was much smarter than that.

"... Yes, of course," she answered softly to the boy's words, her eyes raising to him. "Forgive me. I... I don't believe my train of thoughts has been running in the right direction." Slowly she walk-floated a few feet away from where she had been anchored and released her grip on the fence, and rose up into the air. She gulped as she ascended, as she now fully grasped the seriousness of her foolish choice—the wounds she had been branded with, and the ones she was soon to be punctured with again... They were prone to infection. And they were especially dangerous out in this place, where hardly any medical supplies would be reachable. What an impression we're making, Jayy Mahogany, the Ghost Carnie thought grimly as she shot her hand out for the wire as she floated over it. Pain surged through her palm as she tightly held it, but it was soon lessened as she took the fence once more and began her descent.

... Speaking of rash decisions, I wasn't particularly pleasant to Samantha, either. I... I suppose I must patch that up eventually.

She touched her heels to the ground again as she turned her attention to the burning tree that had caught aflame from the Arcanine girl's fire. Jayy blinked at it as she let one of her hands fall by her side, the blood dripping onto her dress, and her feet floating into the air again. Of course, she remained suspended because her other arm had looped through the links in the barrier holding them all in, and she decided to just stay there for the time being. She couldn't do anything to help, anyway.

[C'mon guys, really? We can't even get past page three?]

Alyx looked around. "Uh, any ideas?" she asked no one in particular.

It wasn't like she could do anything to stop the fire. Maybe it would stop and not spread, after all there was a somewhat decent amount of snow on the ground. No one moved, except Jayy who bobbed a bit as she floated, still clinging to the fence like it was a lifeline. Which is probably was a this point. There had to be a way to get her off that fence. Something was different with how Jayy was floating. Then it clicked, she wasn't using her hands anymore, probably because she cut herself on the wire.

She knelt down, and picked up some snow, carefully wrapping it into a tight baseball sized ball. She padded over to Jayy and offered it to her. "It might help the pain a bit until we can get them wrapped up."

Last edited:
Titus looked at the flaming tree. He tried to spray a jet of water, similar to how Vesta shot her flame, but had no luck. "Guess I can't put it out," he admitted, "Maybe it won't be a problem." He looked back at Alyx, who was talking to Jayy about her wound.

"Maybe we could take part of the tents to wrap it up," Titus suggested, "It won't fix it, but it's a start."

"Maybe we could take part of the tents to wrap it up. It won't fix it, but it's a start."

Alyx nodded. It only made sense. Or maybe there was a nurses' tent or something. "Maybe search the tents before cutting them? I mean, they look like the only shelter here. Maybe there was a nurse here or something, carnies get sick right?"

She could only hope that there were supplies. Those mask guy was bad news, but was he evil enough to seriously leave them all with nothing to live by?

Titus nodded in agreement. "Hopefully we can find some food," he said, "That and shelter seem to be our two greatest needs." To be honest, though, he wasn't quite sure what to find in them. He'd never been to a carnival before, let alone one for half Pokemon freaks.

He started to head towards a tent to start looking through, but he heard voices a couple tents down. "Well," Titus said, "I think I know where Samantha went."

[Psssh, we got this.]

Lester stood in silence, staring at Jayy's hands. He fell into a sort of trance, watching the blood glisten brightly on her palms. Alyx offered her some snow to clean it off, and Lester immediately felt guilty for not having done the same quicker.

He quickly distracted himself with the burning tree. Despite the fire raging on the dead wood, it seemed oddly... controlled, or at least, he didn't have much fear of the fire getting out of hand. Alyx and the Kingler were talking about searching the tents and using them for shelter. Lester took a second to decide whether or not to say something, before actually going ahead and speaking.

"Well, it's a... Good idea to search them, but, uh, they seem a bit... small for good shelter. I'd think we, you know, need something bigger or sturdier." The Kingler said he thought he figured out where Samantha went. Lester wondered about Thomas, the Escavalier from before, and after feeling guilty for leaving him, thought about Sammy and her... Less than friendly nature. He didn't care much for meeting her again.

[[Wooo, totally.]]

"It might help the pain a bit until we can get them wrapped up."

The Ghost elemental glanced up as Alyx drew near, a ball of snow in her palms. Jayy blinked at it for a moment before slowly nodding her head as she took the freezing ice from the Houndoom girl, and held it tightly in both of her hands. There was a bit of pressure on the inside of her arm from the helium in her body yearning to float up, but she tried to ignore it as the pain gradually subsided in her punctured hands. "... Thank you," she told the Dark type softly, her ruby eyes wandering back to the snow she held.

And then Alyx had started a conversation with the Kingler boy—Jayy vaguely recalled hearing his name was Titus—which left the Driftblim in silence once more. She watched the two converse about the torched tree and tents and such before her gaze pulled over to the other boy. The Scizor one. She was somewhat surprised and altogether confused when she saw that his eyes were glued to her—more specifically, her hands, from what she could tell. Her eyebrow threatened to raise as she watched him stare at her, and she felt a bit uncomfortable by it. He soon looked away, though, as his attention darted over to the tree, and Jayy felt a sigh escape her lips.

She felt that she could've spoken up and voiced her ideas on the matter the three were discussing, shelter, but she just felt oddly... out of place. Useless, perhaps. She couldn't separate from the fence for pretty much any given time, so maybe that's what was holding her back, but... Still. Such a psychological barrier that held her tongue was irrational, but she couldn't shake off the faint fear that she was somewhat of a burden to the others. Jayy already felt that her earlier audacious actions had set her apart and that her weakness in dealing with Samantha were prohibiting the limits of her abilities, not to mention her weightlessness, and once again her mind wandered to floating back over the fence. At least she wouldn't be such a problem that way.

"... Thank you."

Alyx smiled softly back. "No problem." She turned back to Titus. "Let's go, but maybe the opposite direction as Samantha? Something tells me she isn't the teamwork type."

She gazed at the tents, steeling herself to begin the trek to them. Being digitgrade was outright weird. She still wasn't quite used to walking. It was like being on stilts constantly, and the giant horns on her head didn't help for balance one bit. She was more used to it than she was at first, confident even. She took two steps forward, only to promptly loose balance. Her tail twisted frantically, in some attempt to regain what was lost; and it was failing. Next thing she knew it was dark. And cold. And wet.

She'd faceplanted in the snow.

Great.

With a grunt she pushed herself up on her knees, shaking off the snow. "I totally planned that," she said wryly. She spun and sat, glaring at her furry legs. She smoothed her shirt, and adjusted the skull necklace around her neck.

[[:P i have one person to advance my story with and she has to wait on me :P]]

A shiver runs up Thomas' spine. Samantha's hand is cold, a comforting chill, and Thomas pulls her up.

"You don't... I mean, we don't have to interact with them." Thomas shook his head, the cold around beginning to affect him. "We can gather what we need and come back in."

"I am so stupid. I barely even know them, only the red-skinned one. I can't even remember his name."

"To tell you the truth," Thomas rubbed his arm and looked at the tent flap, "I've only met one of them. And he left for the fence." Thomas shook his head again. He coughed into his hand and glanced at the tent flap again.

Thomas sighed and watched his breath. He turned and pushed open the tent flap with his spear, holding it open for Samantha to go through. "Ladies first. Avoid them if you really want to."

[[DAYUM STRAIGHT]]

Thomas was trying to comfort her by saying now that they didn't need to talk to the others. Samantha took a deep breath, shaking her head. He said he really only knew one of them, and she shrugged. After he insisted she go first, she rolled her eyes. "It's no use. It's not like we can do this on our own, especially you being sensitive to cold. Besides, I've got to... Talk to one of them... In private. I just hope the others don't jump me or something before I get the chance."

She stepped tentatively out of the tent, looking left and right. Seemed as though most of the others were still by the fence and... Burning... Tree. She made a mental note that one of these people had the potential to melt her away in an instant (if she could melt, that is. Maybe she'd just have a stroke or something, but the basic idea was that she'd die if she pissed off the wrong one) . She saw the Houndoom girl, who seemed to be coming in their direction...

And then she saw her faceplant. And Samantha could not contain her laugh. "A-HAHAHA!! Ooooh my god that was awesome! Hahahahaha!" Though she was laughing, and it felt good, a small voice in the back of her head was yelling at her, "You idiot! Make friends, stupid! Help her up!" However the voice was hardly present enough to overcome her laughter.

[Ok, ok, LET'S DO THIS]

"A-HAHAHA!! Ooooh my god that was awesome! Hahahahaha!"

Don't turn around, Alyx told herself. Whatever you do don't turn around. But she couldn't help it. She turned around to find Samantha standing just at the line of tents, trying to control her laughter. With a grunt Alyx stood, making sure she had the proper footing. "Like I said," she said louder than before, brushing her self off. The snow was sticking to her black fur a bit. "I totally planned that."

Then she got an idea. She closed the gap a bit between her and Samantha, then reached down and started packing snow again, until this one was the size of a softball. She stuck out her tongue jokingly at Samantha then, with a wicked smile she whipped it as fast as she could at the Glaceon morph.

"I'll bet you did." Samantha said, finally in control of herself. She shifted her weight to one leg, and the Houndoom-Girl came a bit closer. She watched her bend down and start packing snow.

... Was she...?

POW!!

The snowball slammed into her face, and she almost fell down form the sheer force of it. She might have been mad if it hadn't been so refreshing. "Okay. We'll do this your way." A dark smile touched her lips, and she quickly scooped up a fistful of snow.

Even in her cold hands, the snow packed well enough if she used some pressure. She might have to use a bit more than most of the others, but still.

The Snowball left her hand with a satisfying whoosh! and she already was pressing another one out the instant after she threw it.

Thomas stepped out after Samantha, and looked up in time to see a snowball smack into her after her laughter. He couldn't stop a small snicker from leaving his lips. "That's not good. Snowballs."

Thomas watched as Samantha scooped a ball of snow up herself. Thomas then saw who she was throwing snow with. "Is that, a Houndoom?"

A shiver ran up his spine. "If I am an Escavalier, then that Houndoom can kill me. Fire and all." He moved up behind Samantha and tapped her shoulder.

"I'm going to go and look for some supplies. You want anything specific?"

The ball hit the Glaceon smack in the face. She started laughing. Oh that was perfect.

Alyx was expecting the Glaceon to retaliate. Smile still on her face she side stepped, feeling the breeze as the snowball flew past her, hearing it hit something behind her. "Missed!" she called, already packing a snowball. She gazed over to see the Escavalier morph slink away with a few hushed words to Samantha.

Guess he doesn't like snow, she thought as she whipped another snowy projectile Samantha's way. Just as she released another ball came at her, way too fast. Alyx managed to turn slightly, the snowball hitting her shoulder in an explosion of white.

Alyx of course, had no idea why they were having a snowball fight. It made no sense really, but here they were. It was fun, and it helped her forget their situation, if for the moment.

Jayy watched as Alyx started off in one direction, and blinked. The horns on her head seemed heavy, and with extra weight on the skull, that would certainly throw off the balance of someone. The head by itself weighed roughly ten pounds, so with another, what, five, maybe even ten to double the weight, it would definitely be difficult to maneuver, so it didn't altogether surprise the Driftblim when the Houndoom girl had her face planted into the snow.

What did slightly startle her, though, was the laugh that followed it. Ruby eyes darted to see Samantha so conveniently enter the scene, and Jayy clutched the ice a tad bit tighter. There is a possibility she is merely jeering at the action, and not Alyx herself; of course, this would be the most favorable situation, she thought monotonously, looking back over at the Dark Carnie to see her reaction to being laughed at.

Apparently she retaliated in a positive way—or, at least, it seemed positive by the looks of it. Alyx sent a snowball whizzing into Samantha's face, and with that, a snowball fight seemed to begin. The spheres of ice whirled right in front of her, but they weren't close enough the touch her, thankfully. But still, Jayy could feel her eyebrow rising. This seemed very out of place, for some reason. But... Perhaps that was a good thing. For the Houndoom and Glaceon, this snowball fight was an outlet to forget about the matters at hand, and maybe it could distract Jayy for a while, too.

Then again, though, the Ghost Carnie didn't exactly get distracted that well, which was good in situations other than the ones at hand.

Nevertheless Jayy tried to observe the fight to forget about what was currently nagging at her mind, such as her hands going numb from the freezing ice she was holding, or the puncture wounds on her palms ceasing to ache because of said snow. Rather she attempted to predict what the participants in the fight might do next, and what angle would be best to throw in to put in the most effective hits.

Titus looked at Samantha and Alyx and smiled slightly. Who knows, maybe this would help us get along? He looked away from them, and headed towards a tent. After entering, he looked around, and saw a few bandages and other medical supplies. Looks like Alyx was right about there being a nurse here. He picked up the bandages, and peeked out of the tent at the Drifblim Carnie. She could really use these.

Titus exited the tent and walked towards Jayy. As he drew near, he told her, "I'm guessing you could use these. I found a nurse's tent a short ways away.

Lester watched Samantha and Alyx in their little snowball fight. It was possible that Samantha was bipolar, or that she just had some bad moments, like earlier, but Lester was still nervous around her. He stayed back by the fence.

With a loud slapping sound, a snowball crashed into his face, and his glasses soared back into the fence, then dropped into the snow. He didn't make a sound, but instead, stuck out his tongue and gingerly touched it with his fingers. He'd bitten when the snowball hit, and there was a bit of blood. He picked up his glasses and brushed the snow off them, albeit awkwardly with only the use of his left hand.

He looked at Titus when he offered Jayy the bandages, then at Jayy's fingers, wrapped around the fence, the tips turning a bright pink color. He looked back at the tents. They were old tents, and pitched not with metal rods as many recent ones were, but tied down with ropes. He lifted his claw to the ropes and quickly snapped it shut. The rope made a twanging sound as the tension release, and he grabbed the loose end, pulling it tight once more and clipping the other end. He quickly coiled the rope, and still silent, walked back to Jayy and Titus.

"If you want to come off of the fence, you could tie yourself to someone with this. I-I mean, you can find someone you'd like-er... Well, just... Here, you know what to do." He sheepishly offered the rope to her. She's getting all kinds of treats. He thought. Bandages, rope, before long she'll have a throne to sit on, too.

Alyx was in shock as she saw the ball whip past her and smack Lester straight in the face. "Oh shit, sorry," she called back. She put her hands on her sides and breathed deep. Watching the faint mist of her breath as it floated in front of her for the briefest moment and then disappeared. Then she realized for the first time how the snow didn't bother her. Right, she thought. Houndoom. Cold might not bother fire types. Plus the fur, she couldn't forget that.

"I'm done," she declared. She sat in the snow, quite on purpose this time, resting her elbows on her knees and fingering her skull pendant absent mindedly. Nervous, she reached for the top of her head, feeling the thick smooth horns that wrapped over her ears and pointed over her back. Sleeping would be odd.

Titus returned to the fence, carrying an armful of bandages. Just as Lester appeared with a long rope, suggesting that Jayy tie herself to someone. She couldn't help but imagine Jayy as a human sized balloon. Probably best not to mention that.

After wistful watching for a moment more, Jayy heard Titus addressing her. She looked to him and the bandages he brought along with him, and slowly gave him a nod. "Yes, they would prove most useful," she answered, and dropped the bloody snow she had been holding. The crimson that had flowed from her palms had ceased and left their mark in the ice underfoot as the snowball merged into it, but she chose to ignore it for the most part. "Thank you," she added as she gently took the bandages from him with the hand already looped through the fence, and awkwardly she attempted to use her other hand to tie it around the wounds, but no matter how many different ways she tried, she simply couldn't complete the task at the current time. She would need to be able to use both of her hands, and coincidentally, the chance to regain the use in them arose.

The Scizor boy had also come over to offer some rope he had snipped, with the explanation that she could anchor herself to someone. Jayy had actually thought of doing that earlier, but decided against it beforehand since she didn't exactly know any of the other Carnies, but perhaps it wouldn't hurt anything now since they had all more or less got a first impression of the other.

Almost tentatively Jayy took the rope from the male, and nodded. "Yes, I... Well... Considering you were the one that gave it to me..." Even though she couldn't wrap a bandage around her hand, she could just barely manage tying rope to her waist. She grasped it with the hand caught in the chain links and looped the rope around herself before knotting it twice, and looked to the boy again. Slowly she held out the rope with her free hand, but pulled away seconds later. "... If... If you don't mind, of course," she said quickly, and looked to her feet.

Back
Top Bottom