• Welcome to The Cave of Dragonflies forums, where the smallest bugs live alongside the strongest dragons.

Guests are not able to post messages or even read certain areas of the forums. Now, that's boring, don't you think? Registration, on the other hand, is simple, completely free of charge, and does not require you to give out any personal information at all. As soon as you register, you can take part in some of the happy fun things at the forums such as posting messages, voting in polls, sending private messages to people and being told that this is where we drink tea and eat cod.

Of course I'm not forcing you to do anything if you don't want to, but seriously, what have you got to lose? Five seconds of your life?

Melodic Harmony vs. Omskivar

Awwwuh! Sorry, Louie, if I'd have read better I'd have let you show off more of your badassery. Let's see what we can do this round.

We don't have anything to counter Dig, and even if we did, it wouldn't work on the beach. Even though it would be epic. So I'm gonna say go for the Bounce. Since it isn't a stat-raising move, Kita should still be underground, and since you're slower, you should be able to avoid Dig completely. So go for the two turn Bounce; if it paralyzes, we're golden. If the Dig is a one-turn, go for the Drain Punch, and we can try to Toxic-stall. Then for the second turn, try the Dig approach, if Kita is above-ground. Mostly what we're trying to do is avoid Aerial Ace, if possible. For the last action, if Kita pulled a two-turn Dig, go for the Drain Punch. If at any time you find yourself with no viable instruction, Hi Jump Kick. Attack physically to your heart's content!

So that's...

Bounce (up)/Drain Punch/Hi Jump Kick~Bounce (attack)/Dig (down)/Hi Jump Kick~Dig(attack)/Drain Punch/Hi Jump Kick

*prays to Horus that this makes sense*

Midnight Island
The contenders will be battling on a circular island roughly 50 feet in diameter. It is night, so Sunny Day will have no effect, as there is no sunlight to intensify. The "outer ring" is all a smooth, sandy beach while the "inner circle" (a circle in the center of the island that is 30 feet in diameter) is made of a dense forest. There is a full moon and the ocean is gently lapping against the shores. There is one stream, roughly five feet across, that cuts the island exactly in half. Does that mean it's actually two islands?

Each round, there is a 10% chance of one of the following events occurring:
-If near or within the forest, a Vileplume may accidentally release a bit of Stun Spore, causing mild paralysis.
-If near or within the forest, a Ghost-type Pokémon may suddenly become visible, frightening the battler it appeared closer to, causing a flinch for that one action.
-Within the forest, either Pokémon may stumble across and eat an Oran Berry, healing 5% HP.
-Within the forest, either Pokémon may stumble across and eat a Leppa Berry, healing 5% energy.
-A cloud may cover the moon, bathing the island in darkness for a whole round.
-When on the beach, Dwebble or Crustle may unearth themselves and poke the nearest Pokémon, dealing 1% or 2% damage respectively.

Notes: Earthquake doesn't work on the beach; mud-using moves only work near the ocean or stream, or if Rain Dance is in effect; SolarBeam has 90 base power instead of 120.

ROUND 6 START!
Melodic Harmony:
Oo
charmander
Sekitan Iki (♀)
Health: 35%
Energy: 53%
Ability: Blaze
Status: “Ugh.” +2 attack, badly poisoned (2% this round, 3% next)
Commands: Dig (down)/Dig (attack) ~ Chill (whilst underground)/Aerial Ace ~ Dig (attack)/Aerial Ace/Swords Dance

Omskivar:
Oo
mienfoo
Louie (♂)
Health: 40%
Energy: 38%
Ability: Inner Focus
Status: “Revenge is a toxic violet substance? Curious." +3 attack, badly poisoned (6% this round, 7% next), -2 speed, +1 defense, -2 special attack, -1 accuracy
Commands: Bounce (up)/Drain Punch/Hi Jump Kick ~ Bounce (attack)/Dig (down)/Hi Jump Kick ~ Dig(attack)/Drain Punch/Hi Jump Kick

As another round commences, Kita begins to rethink her strategy. Sure, there was no way those orbs would miss her if she was on the surface, but what if she hides underground for a while? And so the charmander began to furiously claw at the sand beneath her, digging a sizable hole and entering it. Louie, though annoyed at her elusiveness, is glad to finally have a chance to escape that awful smoke, and he leaps up into the air- though the effect is somewhat lost on Kita, who doesn’t have too great of a view.

The lizard, meanwhile, decides to take a little nap, being protected by the tunnel she’s dug and all. Meanwhile, gravity is quickly catching up to her opponent, who has reached his zenith and is now quickly coming down to the earth- except his target is nowhere to be found. The mienfoo sighs in disappointment as he lands (rather softly) on the beach, Kita still underground.

His woes are far from over, however, as the charmander has now decided to attack, continuing to dig until she is directly underneath her exhausted foe and dashing up, launching him into the air and giving him a few slashes for good measure. Louie groaned as he hit the ground- he was so tired and so hurt... but he definitely won’t be easy to swallow, especially not for someone who’s been trying to twirl him around her... claw since the beginning. Fighting energy fills his right paw and he hooks Kita with it, both knocking the breath out of her and drawing some of her life energy to himself. The charmander is now unpleasantly close she is to the end- and her tail-flame suddenly begins to glow and grow, Fire energy rushing through her. At the same time, that damned mienfoo’s poison rushes through her, making her wince. Louie also feels the toxin affecting him, though it is much stronger than what Kita’s experienced. This was it; they were both on their last legs. His foe meanwhile is glad to see the cloudy sky clearing and the moon shining in the sky once more.

ROUND 6 END!
Melodic Harmony:
Oo
charmander
Sekitan Iki (♀)
Health: 24%
Energy: 47%
Ability: Blaze
Status: “Yay moon!” +2 attack, badly poisoned (2% this round, 3% next), blazing (all Fire-type attacks do x1.5 damage)
Commands: Dig (down) ~ Chill (whilst underground) ~ Dig (up)

Omskivar:
Oo
mienfoo
Louie (♂)
Health: 27%
Energy: 18%
Ability: Inner Focus
Status: “Let’s do this, then." +3 attack, badly poisoned (6% this round, 7% next), -2 speed, +1 defense, -2 special attack, -1 accuracy
Commands: Bounce (up) ~ Bounce (down, missed) ~ Drain Punch (crit)

Ref notes:

• The sky has cleared completely and moonlight has returned.
  • The smokescreen surrounding Louie will dissipate in one round.
  • Louie’s Drain Punch triggered Kita’s ability
  • Confusing commands all around :T
  • ...and the battlers are still in the outer ring. Come on, you guys! The inner circle has all sortsa fun random events!
  • Omskivar commands next

MIENFOO Y U NO HAVE PRIORITY MOVE

Louie, you're gonna get killed out there. It's inevitable. But we're gonna go out with a bang.

Fire attacks are going to hurt, but you can make them hurt worse. If a Fire attack goes for you, Me First; otherwise, Stone Edge. Chill if there's no attacks coming at you. If you're still alive on the last action, Reversal. Give it all you got, Louie, and prove that the French can win something!

Me First/Stone Edge/Chill~Me First/Stone Edge/Chill~Reversal/Me First/Chill.

No Fire moves? Awww, but Kita really wants to burn someone =(

Oh well, she can still Counter for two actions. Then on the last, if necessary, she can use Aerial Ace. Let's go, Kita! <3

Counter ~ Counter ~ Aerial Ace

By my count, Counter shouldn't qualify as "an attack coming at you" since it's a retaliatory strike. Just throwing that out there.

By my count, Counter shouldn't qualify as "an attack coming at you" since it's a retaliatory strike. Just throwing that out there.

I just assumed you meant "if Louie isn't attacked at all."

I'd most likely ref this round having Louie use Stone Edge the first two actions, since Counter is an attack.

Midnight Island
The contenders will be battling on a circular island roughly 50 feet in diameter. It is night, so Sunny Day will have no effect, as there is no sunlight to intensify. The "outer ring" is all a smooth, sandy beach while the "inner circle" (a circle in the center of the island that is 30 feet in diameter) is made of a dense forest. There is a full moon and the ocean is gently lapping against the shores. There is one stream, roughly five feet across, that cuts the island exactly in half. Does that mean it's actually two islands?

-If near or within the forest, a Vileplume may accidentally release a bit of Stun Spore, causing mild paralysis.
-If near or within the forest, a Ghost-type Pokémon may suddenly become visible, frightening the battler it appeared closer to, causing a flinch for that one action.
-Within the forest, either Pokémon may stumble across and eat an Oran Berry, healing 5% HP.
-Within the forest, either Pokémon may stumble across and eat a Leppa Berry, healing 5% energy.
-When on the beach, Dwebble or Crustle may unearth themselves and poke the nearest Pokémon, dealing 1% or 2% damage respectively.

Notes: Earthquake doesn't work on the beach; mud-using moves only work near the ocean or stream, or if Rain Dance is in effect; SolarBeam has 90 base power instead of 120.

Pre-Round

Since the guy now known as Star69 had disappeared and was nowhere to be found (perhaps eaten by a mutant Crustle D:), Melodic Harmony took out her cell phone and called the League – Emergency Referee Department. “Yes, I know it’s very late, err… very soon, … uhm… Midnight Island… yes… uh-uh… no… I don’t know… perhaps eaten by a mutant Crustle… uhm no… I don’t know… okay… thanks a bunch… bye.”

After a short waiting period of about two months, a long-awaited emergency referee arrived, riding an Altaria (who was actually still a small Swablu at the beginning of the battle), and without any helloes or good days (nights?) waved his flag for the battle to continue.

Team Melodic Harmony
1imko5.jpg
1imko5.jpg

Charmander
Sekitan Iki – female
<Blaze>
Health: 24%
Status: “Yay moon!” (+2 attack | Badly poisoned: 3% this round, 4% next | Blaze activated)

Team Omskivar
1imko5.jpg
1imko5.jpg

Mienfoo
Louie – male
<Inner Focus>
Health: 27%
Energy: 18%
Status: “Let’s do this, then.” (+3 attack, +1 defense, -2 special attack, -1 accuracy | Badly poisoned: 7% this round, 8% next)

Round VII Start

For a moment, both of the battlers stood still, a thick curtain of smoke subtracting each Pokémon to the sight of the other. Sekitan Iki had adopted a fierce fighting stance, waiting for her opponent to appear out of the ink-black screen. Louie was… pretty much doing the same on his own, hands on the ground, ready to rip off chunks of rock and slam them on the Charmander. After a long while, he finally decided he had waited enough and sat down, morose and entered in a meditation state, hoping it would be enough to replenish his hard-lost energy. A thin veil of white light immediately surrounded him, slowing his heartbeat and respiration, as he was slowly regaining force. Sekitan Iki, meanwhile, hadn’t lost the pose – at the second the Mienfoo would jump out, she would be there to catch him.

Unfortunately for her, said second never came. Soon enough, she got tired of waiting after him and opted for a more direct approach. Widening her arms and popping out her snout, she adopted a bird-like (she saw it as dragon-like, though) pose and in a flash, dived into the thick smog. As soon as he heard the faint “woosh”, Louie opened his eyes wide and tried to evade, but the attack was definitely too fast for him – the lizard struck him right on the chest, sending him flying a few feet away. He skillfully landed on his feet, though, and rushed back to the Charmander, using all his possible might to deliver the most sudden counterattack. Still, the smoke wasn’t helping him at all – it was infiltrating in his mouth and eyes and nose and completely disorienting him – and he failed to aim at his foe correctly, hitting her clumsily on the shoulder instead. She squeaked in pain under the impact and scurried away to safety as the last wisps of smog vanished in mid-air, leaving the quite bitter Mienfoo to try and heal his poison-seeping wounds.

Round VII End

Team Melodic Harmony
1imko5.jpg
1imko5.jpg

Charmander
Sekitan Iki – female
<Blaze>
Health: 9%
Status: “My shoulder D:” (+2 attack | Badly poisoned: 3% this round, 4% next | Blaze activated)

Team Omskivar
1imko5.jpg
1imko5.jpg

Mienfoo
Louie – male
<Inner Focus>
Health: 11%
Energy: 29%
Status: “When will this madness end…?” (+3 attack, +1 defense, -2 special attack, -1 accuracy | Badly poisoned: 7% this round, 8% next)

Damage and Energy Calculations

Chill – restored 10% energy
Counter – [failed]
Chill – restored 10% energy
Counter – [failed]
Aerial Ace – 9% damage, 8% energy
Reversal – 12% damage, 9% energy

Notes:

- I know SomeGuy would’ve reffed it differently, but to me, Counter isn’t an attack that "comes at" the foe, as The Omskivar had already described.
- Reversal came really close to missing, so I had it have its base power halved.
- The smokescreen disappeared at the end of the round.

Next Round:

- Melodic Harmony orders first.

Well, so my head isn't exactly in the game and I... okay, I'll stop with the excuses, I'm just cheap :(
LOL of course it has to be me with the cell phone x)

So Kita, let's just have you use... Flare Blitz. If he uses Protect Or Detect, you use Dragon Dance instead.

Flare Blitz/Dragon Dance x 3

Looks like we're screwed, amigo. See if you can Endure a Flare Blitz, then go for a Feint; hopefully, combined with the priority, recoil damage and your 2.5x Attack multiplier, it'll be enough to kill the lizard. If not, then you're dead anyway.

Endure~Feint~Win/Lose

Midnight Island

Team Melodic Harmony
1imko5.jpg
1imko5.jpg

Charmander
Sekitan Iki – female
<Blaze>
Health: 9%
Status: “My shoulder D:” (+2 attack | Badly poisoned: 3% this round, 4% next | Blaze activated)

Team Omskivar
1imko5.jpg
1imko5.jpg

Mienfoo
Louie – male
<Inner Focus>
Health: 11%
Energy: 29%
Status: “When will this madness end…?” (+3 attack, +1 defense, -2 special attack, -1 accuracy | Badly poisoned: 7% this round, 8% next)

Round VIII Start

A lone locust was heard far in the forest, breaking the long silence that had comfortably installed itself between the two battlers. Still, their fierce gaze didn’t move an inch, each locked into the other, trying to read through it. Sekitan Iki, her blazing tail splashing spots of light over the motionless beach, growled lowly. Suddenly, wisps of fire began to seep out of her mouth, then from her nostrils, and finally from the very pores of her skin, veiling her tiny lizard-like body into a coat of orange flames.

Louie clenched his fists and a blue circle of light was drawn in the sand around him, and enveloped him as he raised his paws before him, preparing himself for the impact. The Charmander, having seen enough, jumped forward and collided into the Mienfoo like a meteor, and the powerful tackle sent him flying quite a bunch of meters away, falling into the salty water in a splash. The blue curtain of energy vanished, and, to Sekitan Iki’s surprise, the Mienfoo actually got up.

He raised his head and glared malevolently at the exhausted lizard, and in a flash rushed to her and delivered a delightfully well-placed uppercut, knocking her out before she even realized it was a lightning-fast Louie that had actually hit her. He watched her eyes turn into swirls with a grin, but soon the bitter pain of the poison caught up on him. He felt it invade his entire body, and his eyesight blurred. Before closing his eyes definitely, one close enough could’ve heard him whisper:

“Frenchies… rock…” and he fell down with a thump.

Round VIII End

Team Melodic Harmony
xpqo.jpg
1imko5.jpg

Charmander
Sekitan Iki – female
<Blaze>
Health: 0%
Energy: 37%

Team Omskivar
xpqo.jpg
1imko5.jpg

Mienfoo
Louie – male
<Inner Focus>
Health: 0%
Energy: 14%

Damage and Energy Calculations

Endure – 6% energy
Flare Blitz – 10% damage, 2% recoil, 10% energy
Feint – 7% damage, 9% energy

Notes:

- Louie knocked Sekitan Iki out before immediately fainting from poison, so for the sake of experience gets the winner’s exp.

Next Round:

- Melodic Harmony sends out, then Omskivar does the same and orders first.

Last edited:
Just thought I'd pop in to say that this battle being picked up by a French speaker is pretty awesome. I suppose you could call it ironic.

I'll send out Okori Yasui, my male Poliwag <3

You can call him Oko for short =) All of my Pokémon have not-so-short names =o

Just thought I'd pop in to say that this battle being picked up by a French speaker is pretty awesome. I suppose you could call it ironic.

Indeed. But it kind of breaks the magic that I'm not from France (or any part of Europe for that matter) but from Québec, only french-speaking spot in Canada (and actually we discovered it first but then the thirteen colonies invaded and because we had such a huge territory and little population, due to our economy being centered around fur trading at that time so they completely annihilated us and Québec became english-speaking and more so when after the Independence War [is that the english name idk] when all the Loyalist came to Canada to live there and thought they had more rights than native Quebecers because they were english anyways if you want to know more just read about canadian history idk)!

Last edited:
I really want to break in my Snubbull, but my squad was like half the size it is now when this battle started...

Anyway, let's go with Gertie the Treecko. Hopefully you can evolve when this battle's through...

Start out with a nice Leech Seed. I'm expecting a Protect/Detect/etc, so if anything happens that would block or otherwise prevent the effects of Leech Seed, use Swords Dance. If the Poliwag goes for any sort of status move, Detect. Second action, go for the Attract; again, if anything arises to prevent its effects, Swords Dance. Third action, Dragonbreath, and let's see if we can't roll a paralysis. If Protected/Detected, Swords Dance. Poliwag doesn't get Taunt, so we should be okay.

So that's...

Leech Seed/Swords Dance/Detect~Attract/Swords Dance~Dragonbreath/Swords Dance

Make daddy proud.

They want to Detect a status move, huh? Sure Oko, let's see if we can go with that. Start off with a Hypnosis, then use Encore. Because Detect is such a great move, isn't it? ^-^ Then in the meantime, let's use Amnesia <3

Hypnosis ~ Encore ~ Amnesia

Back
Top Bottom