• Welcome to The Cave of Dragonflies forums, where the smallest bugs live alongside the strongest dragons.

Guests are not able to post messages or even read certain areas of the forums. Now, that's boring, don't you think? Registration, on the other hand, is simple, completely free of charge, and does not require you to give out any personal information at all. As soon as you register, you can take part in some of the happy fun things at the forums such as posting messages, voting in polls, sending private messages to people and being told that this is where we drink tea and eat cod.

Of course I'm not forcing you to do anything if you don't want to, but seriously, what have you got to lose? Five seconds of your life?

Musical Instruments you play

Since this is as good a place as any to ask... Does anyone here know how to play the violin - or, more specifically, how difficult it is to learn?

Violin is difficult to learn because it's screechy when you're a beginner. Also, if you misplace your finger by a millimetre, which is VERY easy to do, the note goes slightly sharp or slightly flat which chlashes if you're playing with an ensemble. It's an instrument to learn if you're going to practise hard and be dedicated.

Once you're good at it, you have one of the most versatile instruments at your disposal.

Myself?
I play the violin, flute, piccolo, alto flute, caribbean steel drum and a little bit of piano.

The steel drum is the one I have the largest total of songs for, followed by the violin though the violin is the instrument I play the best. The flutes are just used primarily for ensemble and wind band. (They're like playing the same instrument over and over again though.)

I can get tuneful sounding notes out of a saxophone and oboe but don't own these instruments and thus, have never had the time to get skilled at them. I would love to learn the bassoon though.

Wouldn't ever learn a brass instrument. Just don't like them...

Violin is difficult to learn because it's screechy when you're a beginner. Also, if you misplace your finger by a millimetre, which is VERY easy to do, the note goes slightly sharp or slightly flat which chlashes if you're playing with an ensemble. It's an instrument to learn if you're going to practise hard and be dedicated.
Ah, hm, ha. Well, I found my mother's old violin hidden behind a bookshelf in the living room, and looking at it - I mean, it's a really beautiful instrument, and I'm not exactly doing much this summer... I've got enough money to have it fixed and all, but I don't want it to be a waste of time, you know?

I play trombone and piano regularly. I can also play trumpet, french horn, violin, and flute. I've been playing piano for 7 years and trombone for 5. I love both the instruments, and I love playing music. I'm planning to get a minor in music as well as a medical degree.

Uh, I pretended to play the clarinet for three years. :D;

I'm kind of musically retarded - I can listen to music and enjoy it, but I don't think I could ever compose anything of my own. And I never did learn how to read music or play more than like five or six notes. :(

played viola, quit because i didn't like it. played flute, quit because the band teacher made fun of me too often. still play piano, not too serious about it though. play bass, which i love. i want to be a bassist. and be in a band.

well i already am a bassist but i'm not in a band.

I play Clarinet, and I'm pretty darn good compared to the other students. I'm not really in the school bad anymore, but... I still attend lessons weekly. I got back from my lesson, uhh, 45 minutes ago today.

Clarinet, very darn good at it, though it's my first year. ^^ And recorder, but I suck because the clarinet has scarred me for life.

Basically
the recorder's too small

I've been playing keyboard for 2 and a half years now in my spare time.(and i'm still not very good)

I'm trying to get into more instruments recently at school i've failed at guitar, not getting the same buzz from it I do form other instruments but I really want to try the Saxaphone.

I've been playing guitar for almost a year and I'm almost good enough to be actually a legit player of the insturment. I could play piano, if I gave myself a week to get back into it.

I can sing, so I can "play" my voice really well (according to my music teacher). Other than that I figured out how to play some songs on a piano and I'm currently learning how to play guitar. So far I suck at both, but practice makes perfect. :3

I... Uh... Think my vocal cords count, so... I sing okay-ish? As an alto? =D?

Last edited:
I play clarinet. <3 This is my fifth year playing it, and I'm first chair in my high school band.

I'd also like to learn to play the trumpet (for jazz band and maybe pep band or marching band) and the piano. Learning to play the trumpet seems more probable right now.

aah my thread D: see this is what happens when I mess around with my internet settings; it stops working for a week D:

MD said:
Since this is as good a place as any to ask... Does anyone here know how to play the violin - or, more specifically, how difficult it is to learn?

I have a friend who's been playing the violin since she was about seven, apparently it's really difficult to learn but once you know how to do it it gets easier.

I play an 10 hole (8 top, 2 bottom) Ocarina, but not very well. It's hard to learn because there are no teaching books or classes ANYWHERE . I looked for about a month before finding stuff on Youtube. It's quite easy once you know how though.

Back
Top Bottom