• Welcome to The Cave of Dragonflies forums, where the smallest bugs live alongside the strongest dragons.

Guests are not able to post messages or even read certain areas of the forums. Now, that's boring, don't you think? Registration, on the other hand, is simple, completely free of charge, and does not require you to give out any personal information at all. As soon as you register, you can take part in some of the happy fun things at the forums such as posting messages, voting in polls, sending private messages to people and being told that this is where we drink tea and eat cod.

Of course I'm not forcing you to do anything if you don't want to, but seriously, what have you got to lose? Five seconds of your life?

New! The Spriter's Hangout!

sorry, this judging is so stupid.
the people that were judged by grimdour are getting fair marks, but almost everyone marked by zulo has passed? wtf? and i'm sorry but that articuno revamp is hardly a 33/40

thank you

It's a Torkoal/Mightyena splice. I had it with lighter outlines, but it looked really weird. ANYWAY! Gold, yes.

anmydl.gif

wcdbup.gif

30ubwu8.gif

edit: wow, you're being really extremely ridiculously generous up there, zulo

OK, i'll try to be a little more harsh, but I didn't want to get too mean.

sorry, this judging is so stupid.
the people that were judged by grimdour are getting fair marks, but almost everyone marked by zulo has passed? wtf? and i'm sorry but that articuno revamp is hardly a 33/40

What part did I not take enough off?

Next are PichuK's, if I have time.

Quite proud of this. The spikes here hard. And I don't see my name in the beginning rank thingamaroo! Also, this is the first sprite for the gold rank.

Hippowslash.png

Quite proud of this. The spikes here hard. And I don't see my name in the beginning rank thingamaroo! Also, this is the first sprite for the gold rank.

Hippowslash.png
I'll do this one to be fair.

The sprite itself is simple, but there are a few issues with lighting. First off, the spikes. The front spikes ignore the head completely. Lessen the highlights there. And the hind toes. They're too bright to be in the back. Also, the outline where the head covers the spikes is missing. Also, shading under the spikes seem to be missing. 2 pixel-thick shades should be enough, or less.

Other than that it's just a sprite. Nothing too unique.

Originality: 5
Quality: 7
Difficulty: 5
Appeal: 6
23/40

I’ll try to do it like Grimdour did, which way do you guys like better?.

anmydl.gif

Nice sprite, I see you scratched almost all of it. However, the outlines on the jewel, like on your other sprite, are too dark. Also, the green/yellow shell on it’s back seems to veer away from us at the end. Nice shading though, you had to redo that, right? Although, what’s with the yellow line on the ear? And why isn’t the ear wavy?

Originality: 8
Difficulty: 8
Appeal (that’s a much better word, thanks Grimdour =) ): 9

Total score: 32/40

(Is that better?)

Thanks for the tips, Grimdour. I'll try to make it better. It was done in a hurry, anyways XD

PichuK's revamp:

Wow, you did an excellent job on this one. At first I thought it was, like, the Platinum sprite, but then I remembered it was a revamp. You did an excellent job on this, but I am not obliged to give you a perfect score. See the bottom outline of the brown part of his body? That should probably be dark, and the top part should probably be light. On the radiating wing shading, it should be a little more curved, instead of a jagged but straight line. Also, the pupils bug me, they are a little sharp-cornered.

Originality: N/A
Quality: 11/14
Difficulty: 11/13
Appeal: 12/13

Total score: 34/40

Is that too many points off?

Your comments are a lot better, yeah. Someone else would have to tell you about the points.

Your comments are a lot better, yeah. Someone else would have to tell you about the points.

Obviously, it's your points ;)

I'm working on your last one now.

Sorry about not having any spriting time for the past week. I'm doing these on a word document I'm working on for school, scrolling up when my parents check on me, and copy+pasting the text into here. So that's why they are going so slow.

PichuK's last sprite:

The thing that really sticks out to me is the diagonal chest. It seems almost like he has a fractured spine. Also his left pupil is merging into his hair. You did better on the non-human part though- I can’t see if you did more black outlineing because of the black backround you get when a transparent sprite is put on word, but I see a little of it on the chest and hair. Good shading on the wing, and overall a good sprite. Well, the pokemon part anyways. Spriters tend to have a hard time with human anatomy though, it seems.

Originality: 10
Quality: 6 (because you didn’t do well on the human part, and it was testing your trainer morphing skills)
Difficulty: 9
Appeal: 7

Total: 32/40

Congratulations PichuK, for moving up! Do understand why I can’t have your trophy done right now.

Now I guess I'll do dragonfire's trainer sprite.

XDragonFireX’s Trainer Sprite:

As you mentioned, the hand are kinda wrongly shaded. In fact, there really isn’t much contrast in any of it. The shoes also look flat. Good anatomy though. The cast looks a bit too much like a rounded rectangle.

Originality: 7
Difficulty: 8
Appeal: 8

Total: 30/40

Back
Top Bottom