• Welcome to The Cave of Dragonflies forums, where the smallest bugs live alongside the strongest dragons.

Guests are not able to post messages or even read certain areas of the forums. Now, that's boring, don't you think? Registration, on the other hand, is simple, completely free of charge, and does not require you to give out any personal information at all. As soon as you register, you can take part in some of the happy fun things at the forums such as posting messages, voting in polls, sending private messages to people and being told that this is where we drink tea and eat cod.

Of course I'm not forcing you to do anything if you don't want to, but seriously, what have you got to lose? Five seconds of your life?

Obsessive Scribblers~

Status
Not open for further replies.
Inactive Linoone is inactive, and she has nothing to contribute.

But she did mange to pull out a bit of time and sorta fixed this. She's not sure why it's all pixel-ey though.

But yeah, Ice already showed it to me in MSN and I did some lineart, which anyone is welcome to modify/color. Sorry for removing everybody who was partially cut off but I tried ;_;

Reason Spoon is so big? I completely missed her and attempted to put her back in.
Was I well and truly ignored?

Well, I actually have some new stuff. I've been hooked on Mother/Earthbound and have attepted to use a flash based tool to draw the main villains of the first 2 games (even if they are the same person/alien.)
Giegue
Giygas (WARNING: May cause extreme disturbance.)

I know that they're not the best, but I was just experimenting with the tool. And the best thing with these is that If I've made a mistake, I can actually go and sort it out.

@Vlad: I've been told about my crotches many times before (oh dear god what did i just say) but nobody has really told me how to sort it. I completely screwed the direction of the hair and the right arm up, and the reason he has those things around his mouth is because he's very very thin. Homeless person thin-ness.

EDIT: Another computer thing. I tried to draw myself in a Mother/Earthbound, Bluwiikoon~esque style. It's kinda crappy.

Last edited:
I didn't really have a thinner pen to work with, but I'll make a point to buy some next time I need supplies. Cross-hatching is surprisingly amusing, so. :/

Tip for crosshatching: Biros are (I think) fantastic for practice; they don't smudge, and you can get a really great range of shades depending on how near or apart you make your lines; the group pic I did a while back was shaded almost entirely with crosshatching.

Kai said:
Well, I actually have some new stuff. I've been hooked on Mother/Earthbound and have attepted to use a flash based tool to draw the main villains of the first 2 games (even if they are the same person/alien.)
Giegue
Giygas (WARNING: May cause extreme disturbance.)

The simple style looks works well here, with the coloured outlines and big eyes and stuff. Um, I can't think of anything to crit offhand... yeah :)

...I don't know what a biro is.
Is that like some sort of Britishism?

EDIT: You know, looking at this again I really sound like an idiot. :x

Next two pages...
Page 4
Page 5

I'd upload them to Imageshack for Vladmir, but I left the Pendrive the files are contained on at school and it's the holidays now, so I don't have access to them for two week :<

I haven't posted art in a while, so have a Kururu. Dunno if anyone here is familiar with Keroro Gunso, but it's all good either way.

(It's uploaded to my LJ Scrapbook thing; I'm sorry if that's inconvenient like with dA. D:)

Comic's looking pretty good, Ice; you seem to be better at dividing things up into panels than me. I've always wanted to make a comic, but I suck at paneling things up.

I'm not sure who the characters Kai drew are (although I've been hearing about this Earthbound thing so much I'm this close to finding a ROM or something); I really like the shading on the Giygas one and the expression on Giegue.

Linoone is alllliiiiivveeeee~

And she actually has arts this time. Note: they are all drawn without reff. Hence the lack of details.

Like this. Arylett's hair is going to eat youuuu~
Spaekle looks horrid in this one. APOLOGIES. Not sure why Castform the Spheal (Spheal the Castform?) decided to freeze Ice the Frosty Cat and Ice Tiger. Could be their usernames.
And also not sure why Kai is wasting bullets like that.
Cuz this club has too many members.
what. I have no idea what this is.

Please note that I put people whom I think will fit the situation the best rather than people who haven't appeared yet. Apologies to whomever wanted to appear in someone else's drawing but didn't.

Now, some random replies:

Kai:
I rather like this style. The colors are nice and bright, and I heard that Flash is a pain in the butt to draw in. The shading is great, too.

Ice:
That's goooood. I like how you managed to put everything into panels without making it seem weird. I guess the only problem is the blobs of darkness caused by the printer/paint program. I think you should also make the characters seem more surprised, especially the guy, since I don't think murder cases happen often in high school.

Spaekle: Awesome~ I really like the shading, the clean outline, and the >:3 expression. Although I have no idea what it is (is it a frog or an alien? The two episodes I've seen failed to clarify this), it's done really well. The curry looks delicious.

@Linoone: I don't think I look that bad. :V I like the facial expression. I really like the lineart on all of those for some reason; it's like you did it with a really thin pen or something?

He's an alien frog, actually! I'm really glad you can tell that's curry; I was afraid it looked too much like mashed potatoes or something. :P Although I guess if you know the character you can guess what it is.

Hey guys, if you don't mind, can I join with a drawing of mine?
My latest and greatest. Well, admittedly it's not perfect, but it's a lot better than anything I've ever done. I post all my semi-good art onto my DeviantArt account, so if you're looking to critique or just check it out, follow MEEEE!

I do most, if not all of my work on the backs of school papers (that I don't need). Not often do I try very hard, but when I do the result varies. Sometimes when I draw idlely, something like the above comes out. I'm quite random in skill.

Thanks! It's a mechanical pencil, then I edited it a bit with Paint.NET to make it show up more.

Note to all those who is annoyed with your scanner killing your pencil drawings: if you have Paint.NET, go to Adjustments -> Levels, and click the Auto button. Then, move the arrows on the bars in the middle around until your picture look fine.

The thought that it might look like mashed potatoes never crossed me...

I want to eat some curry now.

And she actually has arts this time. Note: they are all drawn without reff. Hence the lack of details.

Spaekle looks horrid in this one. APOLOGIES. Not sure why Castform the Spheal (Spheal the Castform?) decided to freeze Ice the Frosty Cat and Ice Tiger. Could be their usernames.

Ice:
That's goooood. I like how you managed to put everything into panels without making it seem weird. I guess the only problem is the blobs of darkness caused by the printer/paint program. I think you should also make the characters seem more surprised, especially the guy, since I don't think murder cases happen often in high school.

I like the one with Kai in. His expression tied with the situation is hilarious.
The member list has an amusing concept.
You also drew Ice pretty well for not using a reference. He's a hard guy to draw, I know ._.

(This is actually like the fifth/sixth time I've had to explain this but whatever) It's an effect in Photoshop. You can't really see the lines very well in the raw image, so the effect I use makes areas that are slightly darker a lot more visible. Bad thing about that is that it also does that to places that I may have rubbed out a lot on.
HOWEVER. That may well be a thing of the past, once I start posting the newer pages, as I've started darkening my lines and I'm attempting shading.
http://img11.imageshack.us/img11/7182/mitadaketest.jpg How is it :D?

Also long hair =/= girl

Oh my lord... I laughed so hard at this the first time I saw this. It's just so... demonic. Kinda reminds me of Rosette from Chrono Crusade.

EVERYONE CHRONO CRUSADE ARE AN EXCELLENT ANIME GO WATCH IT!!

Kai:
I rather like this style. The colors are nice and bright, and I heard that Flash is a pain in the butt to draw in. The shading is great, too.
Thanks. It wouldn't be so hard for me to draw with it if I could only make layers. Ah well.

And guys, I've made my flash drawings into an animated series on youtube, but I can't decide on what to draw next, and really need suggestions. Please visit the thread for more details.

And I really need to post round here more. I've been busy with an animation course but I may be able to crit/join in with discussions tonight.

Oh man, I'm so sorry I've been so inactive here. xD;

See, here's the thing: my artistic muse just kind of... dropped off the face of the earth for a few months.

Then, today, I drew a sketch of Laharl and a fully colored picture of Flonne, both from Disgaea (afjkdl;sfjkdsla <3).

Buuut... I can't scan either, and I can't color the Laharl one, because I don't have my computer that's connected to the scanner and is a tablet.

So... you may see them whenever my mom gives my computer back. Dx

...and the next thing I do will be the remainder of Lloyd Irving: Ace Attorney... if anyone's interested. xD

See, here's the thing: my artistic muse just kind of... dropped off the face of the earth for a few months.
Pretty much what hapenned to me after Artmo. Don't worry about it.

Then, today, I drew a sketch of Laharl and a fully colored picture of Flonne, both from Disgaea (afjkdl;sfjkdsla <3).
yes yes yes interest levels off the chart. Shooow me these as soon as they're done, Ok?

Fist post to activity is go.

Also long hair =/= girl

YESSSS I AGREE

(this will be a ramblerant so you can probably safely ignore it uh xD; )

I hate it when people assume that everyone with long hair is femaaaale ahhh. See, I draw Edward a lot, and his hair is, as most of you guys know, long. So therefore, everyone who doesn't know who he is automatically assume that he's female. Doesn't matter if I draw him topless, no, he's a girl! I will admit that sometimes I do go for girly with him for lols, but not all the time! These two for example. It's hard (for me at least) to make people be able to tell the gender of him in my art, it seems, since I get 'Oh what a pretty girl' comments from people irl. the coloured one was most annoying with this since I had to stick it up in class and have people comment on it and they kept going 'Oh she...' and I was in my corner going 'HE! HE!" and weeping ; ;

/rant

So ANYWAY. I'm drawing an Group pic, go me?

Linoone is alllliiiiivveeeee~

I LOVE THESE :D <3 Arylett please don't let your hair eat me! D:

Now for my own 'lovely' drawings

This is what happened Monday night :V Yeah >.> I am not over reacting the happenings of this picture, well my cat can't talk, and there was no pool of blood, and I am most definatly not a chibi like creature. No that whale over there in that chair is not my mom it is my dads 'girlfriend' whom we actually both dislike but my dad is too much of a pussy to leave her >:
And a Alien Cyborg thing... Yeah the coloring sucks but my markers are drying out and they suck, and I know the back leg looks a bit... off...

>.>

Ice's drawings scare me for some reason >.> There good but... Scary somehow D:

Last edited:
Why didn't I join this earlier? D:
Anyway, my DA is here. I like drawing EarthBound / MOTHER characters, cartoons (though I don't upload them on the internet) and my own characters. I absolutely suck a drawing hands, cool poses and backgrounds, which is what I'm currently learning to do.

I'd like some constructive crit on some of my new pictures, since no one likes to comment on my art D:
Paintin' Easter Eggs (yes I know the position of the table and chair is horrible)
Strollin' Through Onett (I got heaps on help on the background, but i'm not 100% satisfied on the blank space between the Drug Store and the Burger Shop)

Aww, the EB stuff is adorable! I love the expression and pose on Tony. It's just like he hasn't a care in the world there. And of course a (presumeably) 10/11 year old girl walking home from a drug store is insane. Though of course, in EB, the drug store doesn't actually sell drugs, right? I think that the jaw in both of these is a little wide, but otherwise, they look great!

(wow, I actually provided some decent criticism.)

Your pictures are adorable and quite alarming, Crazy Linoone. :D

*checks out Alxprit's DA* Ooh, I like the Latias, and the Ledian's pretty good too, though it could do with being a bit less thin-looking. It'd be interesting to see a pencil drawing from you, or a computer drawing done with shading in it. What I usually do is check out a load of images of the Pokémon I want to draw, like by looking for Pokémon card scans, and that helps to work out what the Pokémon looks like from different angles, seeing as you're shown so many in different images. It helps me work out how to do the shading, too. But yeah, your art looks quite pretty. :3

Wow, Ice Tiger, the alien cyborg is cool, and the shading on its skin looks really well-done. Also, hey, we all have our annoyed moments - right? Well, I mean, not all caused by that, but yeah. The chair closest to you looks a little bit off - the back should be a bit more upright, I think - maybe look at a chair - even that chair, if you drew an actual chair in that room - from above and from the side, if you do something similar or want to change it or whatever. I'm not responsible for any funny looks your family may give you for wandering around on tiptoe scrutinizing the best angle to look at a chair from, by the way.

Raichao, your art looks lovely. You have a cute and endearing stye. Umm, constructive crit... other than make the table a tiny bit more shaded and give the building and bushes in the Strollin' Through Onett picture more texture, I dunno. And this is a really small observation but in that picture, the girl's left sleeve - or the one on the reader's right, if you prefer - curves too much inwards. It'd mean her arm there is thinner than the rest of her arm, which juts out more. Although this migh not really matter seeing as it's a pretty... cartoony style? I guess. I'm not sure what you call it.

Oh yeah, the hat looks slightly too far back; I think the brim of the hat on the left should be drawn at least a bit over where the part of her hair behind her fringe is. Incidentally, I love the outfit. x3 And you're really good at drawing eyes and hair.

I may have something to contribute in a bit; I've been improving a picture of a Flareon which is basically finished, and working on an Arbok that's mostly drawn but not yet coloured.

thanks for the crits :)

I'll work on my shading next, seeing as I forgot half the shading on the pictures X) I'm also drawing heaps of small sketches in this other sketchbook I found, I'm trying to get K.T's hat and sleeve to look right.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom