• Welcome to The Cave of Dragonflies forums, where the smallest bugs live alongside the strongest dragons.

Guests are not able to post messages or even read certain areas of the forums. Now, that's boring, don't you think? Registration, on the other hand, is simple, completely free of charge, and does not require you to give out any personal information at all. As soon as you register, you can take part in some of the happy fun things at the forums such as posting messages, voting in polls, sending private messages to people and being told that this is where we drink tea and eat cod.

Of course I'm not forcing you to do anything if you don't want to, but seriously, what have you got to lose? Five seconds of your life?

Obsessive Scribblers~

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks muchly. :)

So, uh, my Entei Gijinka was overshadowed it seems. I'd like to know whether I'm doing it right, and perhaps get some crit on it.
http://pics.livejournal.com/kai_lucifer/pic/0000h24r
And I've drawn a reccuring character from Disgaea (And perhaps the most amazing Disgaea character ever), Vyers, the Dark Adonis.
http://pics.livejournal.com/kai_lucifer/pic/000216he

Also, has anyone else noticed how inactive this group has got?

Maybe if people would offer critisism a little more, then there'd be a lot more posts :<
*hints at both covers which were both utterly ignored*

Anyway, I haven't played much of Disgaea, but is that Mid-Boss? Because it looks like him, from what I remember. The colours are nice, but the line-art is a bit shaky.

This is, incidentally, going to get completely ignored too =D
Mitadake High: Page 18

Double posting due to inactivity with two new pages~
Mitadake High: Page 19
Mitadake High: Page 20

From the last time I've seen your art, it's really improved. The shading's very nice, and not scribble-y. I'm fond of the clothing folds. The expressions are pretty good, too. Uh, the head in comparsion the body is a bit off. The head almost seem squished. There's a few rules for preportions on heads, and maybe if you would look them up and follow them they'd look even nicer. The heads seem really small, and they also seem a bit older the high schoolers. A few things to keep in mind when you drew the next comic is to make the background more detailed, like maybe a bulletin board, which you could add odd inside-jokes to.

Dewgong, I've updated it for you.

Uh, for you guys not on the list, well, I'm not very active here anymore. If any of you would be willing to become thread admin'd and update the memberlist as well as become the 'leader' of the group then go ahead. Just get the general approval for everyone else. I guess there could be multiple people doing the job, since it'd be less trouble for each of them. Uh, really what you guys would like to do with memberlist is up you. Get rid of it, update it, or whatever.

There's too many people to keep track of anyway... Although it would be useful if we're drawing an epic group pic. Maybe we should just have a list instead of a huge chart.

And yes, Linoone is alive. She'll post comments probably tomorrow or Monday since she's busy.

Oh dear. What did Linoone do.

Well, I just downloaded GIMP yesterday, and it was AWESOME. It was such an upgrade from old Paint.NET... Although there are tons of big words and strange buttons that I can't figure out how to use (alpha channel? Alien map??), and it takes a while for the program to start up, but, other wise, it's awesome. So that's basically why I spent a whole day yesterday (alright, from 9am to 5pm, but you get the idea) drawing... Well, that. And it makes me feel professional. >:3

Ok, it's a little choppy, but hey, it was fun to draw.

Now, what all of you have been waiting for... Comments time!

@Rainbow Rayquaza: Haha. I like how you made the rayquaza (yourself?) have a forked tongue. The expression is also very nice. I suppose it could use a bit more shading, but otherwise, it's great.

Baby Drago! It's so cute~ You might actually make me like Chilly Dogs more after this picture. The first time I met Chilly Dogs I was cursing my head off because I'm really low on HP and PP, so I was extremely annoyed when they showed up. I like how you make the tail like different chunks of ice on top of another, and the Gabilan is just goofy.

@Ice: The lighting is nice. Very nice. I like how their eyes are glowing in the dark all creepy-like, and in the center of the page is a dead person. I suppose you can always use more folds in the clothes though, because they look sort of stiff. I like how there's this spray of red on the back of the second cover. The people might need more shading, however.
Page 18 is pretty cool. Love the finger-pointing. That is one awesome hand. But, um, yeah. For Goggle's eye-closing, I think the way the girl closed his eyes are a bit awkward. Don't people usually use the tip of their fingers to pull the top eyelids down? Since humans don't really have a bottom eyelid and all... But since Linoone's eyelid-closing info comes from movies and such, you probably shouldn't trust me on that.
Page 19: I see that you're trying to do the "hair-sprayed-out-on-floor" look with the dead girl, and you mostly got it, actually. The regular spikiness makes it slightly unnatural though... I would suggest making the spikes not all the same size, instead have some bigger spikes and some smaller ones.
Page 20: Whoa, intense. The pose in the middle is nice, albeit awkward: the arm holding the hatchet is a bit... not bending the the right direction, if you know what I mean. I would suggest using a mirror and pose it yourself so you know how to draw it. At least, that's what I usually do when I have no idea how to draw a pose. I think it's funny how Sunglasses is almost smiling when he's attacking Spiky Haired Dude.

@Kai: Nice Jokers! I really love the details, like the creases in the face and the expressions. The eyes on the first Joker looks a bit too big though... The Entei dude looks pretty cool. I like how you made him (it?) look like Entei without putting in too much detail so he still looks like a person. The eyebrows made me laugh for some reason. You have skills with the mouse, seeing how the likes are not wobbly and stuff. I like your >:) expression, and Thorton's eyebrows are extremely amusing. Why am I getting amused by eyebrows?
It's mid-boss! Love the expression. Could use more shading though...

@pcbby: Love the poses on all of them! Can't find anything to crit...

@RaiCH: Still working on the 100 themes thing? Good luck! I like the swirly background on the Grey one. The shading on the eyes one is nice. And the tears picture... I think "GAH DON'T REMIND ME" would be the best response.
Love your handwriting, by the way. You look very Earthbound/Mother-ey in the meme. I suppose it's your style, but Linoone likes! Your persona has some nice shading there. I really love the style this was drawn in. The wolf also has nice shading. The only problem I see is that the front leg (the one sticking out) looks a bit awkward...
The paperchildren are pretty well made. Cutting them out must have been a pain... Anyway, I would suggest using longer marker strokes to color to avoid some of the blobby effect makers tend to make when you overlap strokes. I'm not sure if there are some other easier methods to do it, since I usually don't deal with markers...

*gasp* *wheeze* DONE!

I would appreciate some comments and advice on my picture. :D

Here's Ralphie, the big squishy friendly mog next door, and a few if his 'pet' ticks too. He's also the father of my two kittens, which I'll draw sometime.
He does have a little bit of shading and his nose and ears should be pinker but it didn't scan very well.

I love how you've used Miku's expression. It makes things a lot more cuter. The colour's nice and the lines and shading are well done~
The top of the arm detaches from the body in one or two frames though

@Ice: The lighting is nice. Very nice. I like how their eyes are glowing in the dark all creepy-like, and in the center of the page is a dead person. I suppose you can always use more folds in the clothes though, because they look sort of stiff. I like how there's this spray of red on the back of the second cover. The people might need more shading, however.

Well the glowing eyes was sort of a mistake, I didn't mean for them to do that D:
But people seem to see it as a positive thing so...:D
At the time that I drew this, I hadn't really attempted clothes foldings, but I've sort of learnt how to do them now, so yeah.

I really wanted to use a blood splatter too, in homage to Higurashi No Naku Koro Ni's Manga covers (Which Mitadake High is heavily inspired by). I think it came out well, but there's just something...off about it that I can't put my finger on :<
It does need shading though, I might go back and put some in if I get some time~ (Read: Never :D)

Page 18 is pretty cool. Love the finger-pointing. That is one awesome hand. But, um, yeah. For Goggle's eye-closing, I think the way the girl closed his eyes are a bit awkward. Don't people usually use the tip of their fingers to pull the top eyelids down? Since humans don't really have a bottom eyelid and all... But since Linoone's eyelid-closing info comes from movies and such, you probably shouldn't trust me on that.

The bottom eyelid was a mistake xD
I put it in to see what it looked like, didn't like it, went to rub it out and then got side-tracked and it ended up staying there.
Zero's...not a girl though o.o

Page 19: I see that you're trying to do the "hair-sprayed-out-on-floor" look with the dead girl, and you mostly got it, actually. The regular spikiness makes it slightly unnatural though... I would suggest making the spikes not all the same size, instead have some bigger spikes and some smaller ones.

Ah right, I knew there was something wrong with it, but I could tell what it was. Thanks :3

Page 20: Whoa, intense. The pose in the middle is nice, albeit awkward: the arm holding the hatchet is a bit... not bending the the right direction, if you know what I mean. I would suggest using a mirror and pose it yourself so you know how to draw it. At least, that's what I usually do when I have no idea how to draw a pose. I think it's funny how Sunglasses is almost smiling when he's attacking Spiky Haired Dude.

Ohoho, there is a -good- reason for him to be happy >3
But yeah, I think his left arm is a bit too high. I tried the pose in a mirror, but I couldn't really keep myself in it if I was going to draw, so I ended up drawing most of his body from memory.

Here's Ralphie, the big squishy friendly mog next door, and a few if his 'pet' ticks too. He's also the father of my two kittens, which I'll draw sometime.
He does have a little bit of shading and his nose and ears should be pinker but it didn't scan very well.

I really like the texture for his fur. Was it done using the same pen? It's really nice. His expression is cute too and his ears (his right especially) are good =3

I has another page done.
Mitadake High: Page 21
Aside from Zero's awkward running pose in the last panel, I quite like this page.
I could have sworn that the legs were the same length when I measured out the lengths, but somehow I drew one of them longer, which adds to the insult of his left leg being far too far out. Gah, I can't draw running poses D<

Also look what my Mum was nice enough to put together for me :D
One
Two

I really like the texture for his fur. Was it done using the same pen? It's really nice. His expression is cute too and his ears (his right especially) are good =3

Naw, that's at least 3 different pens. First I did a layer of lighter orange, then the stripes and scribbleyness with a slightly darker one, then another layer of light. I also used a very light pen around the edges to blend it into the white.
Anyway, thanks! The neighbours were very pleased with the picture too.

So cute~ Like Ice said, the ears are really well drawn. I like how you made him look squishy. It's probably just you style, but still. The only problem I see is that the anatomy is a bit funky.

I love how you've used Miku's expression. It makes things a lot more cuter. The colour's nice and the lines and shading are well done~
The top of the arm detaches from the body in one or two frames though

Thanks~ This picture is actually a result of me going spending a whole afternoon listening to random Vocaloid songs on Youtube.

And I see what you mean by the detaching. *goes to fix arm*

I think it came out well, but there's just something...off about it that I can't put my finger on :<

Hmmmm.... I dunno. It looks fine... Maybe you can add some bigger splashes. Or it could be that you slightly blurred the edges of the splashes a bit,

Zero's...not a girl though o.o
Ahhhh sorry, my mistake. It's the old "long hair = girl" thing... You know...
Ohoho, there is a -good- reason for him to be happy >3
But yeah, I think his left arm is a bit too high. I tried the pose in a mirror, but I couldn't really keep myself in it if I was going to draw, so I ended up drawing most of his body from memory.

Hm... Maybe, if you can, take a picture of yourself in that pose and draw while looking at that picture. You only need to work on the hatchet-holding hand, so you can hold the camera with the other hand. Or you can get someone to pose for you or something. Dunno, just throwing out ideas here.

I has another page done.
Mitadake High: Page 21
Aside from Zero's awkward running pose in the last panel, I quite like this page.
I could have sworn that the legs were the same length when I measured out the lengths, but somehow I drew one of them longer, which adds to the insult of his left leg being far too far out. Gah, I can't draw running poses D<

Also look what my Mum was nice enough to put together for me :D

Whoa, your mom is quite awesome.

Some tips on running poses: sketch out the pose first with a stick figure, and keep on fixing it and adding details until it turns into an actuall person.

Last edited:
I return! With another batch of doodles mostly done on an airplane trip~

Old, bad eyes

A bit of experimenting. This character is supposed to be a girl, but very so much lacking the figure. I was aiming for some gender neutrality. A type of person who you think they're one gender, but there's that feeling that you're not entirely sure. What do you guys think?

HARUMPH

Kitty kitty. Gonna be messing with the design of this one for ages.

edit//Aaaahhh totally just noticed a huge glaring error on the last drawing D: In that pose, the dangly scarf...things, should be well...Dangling. In the other direction. I have no idea how I missed that fffff

Last edited:
I return! With another batch of doodles mostly done on an airplane trip~

Old, bad eyes

A bit of experimenting. This character is supposed to be a girl, but very so much lacking the figure. I was aiming for some gender neutrality. A type of person who you think they're one gender, but there's that feeling that you're not entirely sure. What do you guys think?

HARUMPH

edit//Aaaahhh totally just noticed a huge glaring error on the last drawing D: In that pose, the dangly scarf...things, should be well...Dangling. In the other direction. I have no idea how I missed that fffff

still great work pcbby, i really like the kitty one, lol xD

Anybody who's been a member of the OSers for a long time will remember the canvas that I started a long time ago. Well, it's finally finished:
http://i159.photobucket.com/albums/t135/hompstead/Josh/CIMG3675.jpg
http://i159.photobucket.com/albums/t135/hompstead/Josh/CIMG3673.jpg

Took me long enough.

yes, yes it did, but it looks AMAZING, better late then never, its certainly been a long time since ive seen any progress on it but i have to say it really did come out looking fantastic.

i other news i FINALLY have artwork, but YET AGAIN we lost the camera #_¬ so now i have 2 of my manga chars drawn and havent been able to upload any of them, and thanks to a how to draw manga book my dad got me for my bday im getting better at hands, poses and clothing folds, though i hav to upload my stuff in order to prove it #_¬ so until then ill be drawing more costume/weapon/armour/background designs and ill share my work with the rest of you guys when we find the damn camera #_¬

on a more positive note everyone here seems to still be drawing either as epic as before or even better, so congrats guys *claps*

BETCHA THOUGHT I DIED or broke my hands HUH. No, I've just been really lazy about commenting and stuff. But if you guys want I'll show up more often.

Anyway, I'll critique everything on this page and then post my own shit. I expect a retribution <3

Mitadake High: Page 18
Alright, firstly: I really like how you drew that hand opening the eye. It's a sweet angle, and although the hand's a bit chubby and big compared to the dead boy's head I do commend you because I can't draw angles like that myself!
I was going to say I didn't really get what was going on in the fourth panel, but he's closing the dead boy's mouth, right? It might look better if you hadn't drawn him with his fist closed, because it kind of looks like the dead boy's being punched in the throat very softly for some creepy reason. It might've looked more gentle to close his mouth with an open palm.
Re bent knees: at least you don't draw the legs bent at the pelvis, like some people have the strange habit of doing. They pose would look pretty good if you didn't draw his right foot flat on the ground like that because try it: it's uncomfortable as hell and even a bit painful. One would usually support one's weight on the bent toes.
Other than that, the wrinkles on the hands make them look a little like 30+ hands instead of teens. Even though teenagers do have wrinkly hands, an artist once said that 'a wrinkle adds a year', so you might try adding slight indications of veins or knuckles instead? Might help with the chubbiness problem too, unless they're supposed to be fat. In which case, disregard most of this critique :v

Mitadake High: Page 19
Mitadake High: Page 20
I quite like the poses and expressions on this page and you're visibly improving anatomy-wise, but be careful: your characters are all looking very much like grown men, including the girl. I'm not ace at teenagers or girls myself, but drastically reduce the width of the shoulders (shoulder-pads are so 80s, a half-face (vertically) should do) and make them aligned with the hips instead of larger, unless they're all working out between pages.
For the girls: don't make the shoulder wider than the hips on women in general. Though it's less pronounced on teenaged girls, there should still be a hint of hourglass figure. The neck needs to be slimmer too, because although girls have pretty much the same neck width as boys in real life (men and women are another story), you do need to change things in drawings. It'd help to make the hands more elegant and thin on girls as well but if you have a hard enough time drawing hands as it is don't bother.
Interesting plot development!

Good action in page twenty, and nice use of action lines. Boy with dark glasses' hand seems to be attached backwards though, and dull edges on hatchet plus hard angle make it look like a mallet. Some action lines on the hatchet in the next-to-last panel would've been nice to really hammer in the fact that Zero's just been stabbed deeply in the shoulder.
Nasty cut too, pretty sure his tendon's through. Say goodbye to your arm, man, my dad had that happen to the back of his legs with pieces of car and he can't run anymore.

Oh dear. What did Linoone do.
Linoone made a sweet .gif that's what.
Like someone said, it doesn't quite loop in the middle, but I love the clean lines, colouring and the facial expression. Good on you for animating the leek as well, most people would've made it stiff as hell when leeks are bendy.

Here's Ralphie,
So cute! I really do like the pose, and I don't have much to say except that the colours are a little washed out. Have you tried playing with the scanner settings some?
Hahaha I want to hug him in real life though ;w;

Old, bad eyes

HARUMPH

The person in the first drawing's expression is good, though the eyes are a bit too far apart. They should be around one eye away from each other.

Although the second drawing's supposed to represent a (albeit gender-neutral) female, I don't really see it. My mind just immediately went 'male', and not just because I think of men all the time :v I think some very slight bumps on the chest or a vague showing of hips might help with the 'girl' side without stressing it. The way you drew the crotch also kind of hints towards a bulge, and that's very much man-territory, so try making it a straight horizontal line next time or something. I often see people drawing crotches like this and unless your character is wearing skin-tight lycra it just doesn't happen, and unless you're drawing a porny scene you don't want clothes to perfectly mold the genitals (not the case here, rest assured, but it often accidentally happens).

Oh, I do like this. The pose, the shading and the expression are all very nice, and it's an overall super picture. Except for the head maybe being a bit forward, I have nothing to say about this except 'very well done!'
Is she a nomad or other desert-wanderer? Those clothes seem appropriate.

I never draw animal-anthros so I can't vouch for this, but isn't the head a bit small compared to the legs? The neck also seems very long and her right eye (our left) seems to be wrapping around the skull, which eyes don't really do. They tend to bulge out a bit. Pose looks a bit forced as well but otherwise nice job.

Oh yes, I remember this! Even though I don't really like anime I think this came out very well, is it your own creation or a copy of a screenshot or drawing? Is the cigarette supposed to be completely white (looks a bit joint-y :v) or are you going to colour it in? Same applied to the mouth, though I usually don't colour it in myself because I'm a bum.
Why does everything remind me of David Tennant goddamnit

AND NOW FOR MY OWN STUFF. NOT ALL OF IT OR I'D KILL THE THREAD but er what I drew these last few days.
Little .gif I animated with someone else's drawing of Goebbels. This is the latest thing I did and seeing as it's my second animation I think it looks rather nice.
I've been on a huge Gilbert and George kick too (don't know who they are? Shame on you, go look them up right now) since I bought their book yesterday, so I drew a couple of pictures of them.
Young G&G, drawing of a photo of them taken in 1969. They met in 1967 so they've been together for over fourty years! I find that intensely adorable. In this photo, they had the initials G and G drawn on their foreheads, with pictures of each other between the letters. Teehee.
G&G kissing, because I found that photo too cute not to draw.
Just them standing around. Drawn on the train back from Rotterdam.
A guy I drew on the train. Which is why he's even more crooked than my usual drawings.
Ivan and Alain when they wre about fifteen, back in '91, with some Depeche Mode lyrics from the song In Sympathy. Loving Ivan's duds. The buttons he has on are the old Russian flag from '54 to '91 and the current one, instated in '91.
Cover for the comic that will come after TFSoL. The story's a fiercely guarded secret but it'll be delightfully shocking and weird (but not in a pervy way), hopefully.
Thread doesn't have enough gay kissies. Notice how I need a ton of practice because my kisses suck. Not in a good way.
And a pop art picture of Andy Warhol's Blow Job. And no, it's not porny and it's pretty safe for work.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom