• Welcome to The Cave of Dragonflies forums, where the smallest bugs live alongside the strongest dragons.

Guests are not able to post messages or even read certain areas of the forums. Now, that's boring, don't you think? Registration, on the other hand, is simple, completely free of charge, and does not require you to give out any personal information at all. As soon as you register, you can take part in some of the happy fun things at the forums such as posting messages, voting in polls, sending private messages to people and being told that this is where we drink tea and eat cod.

Of course I'm not forcing you to do anything if you don't want to, but seriously, what have you got to lose? Five seconds of your life?

Obsessive Scribblers~

Status
Not open for further replies.
hoohoo, I think I'll do some crit or something. :3

Ice Tiger said:
Looking at what wiki shows me of elks, you've done a fairly good representation here. The proportions are about right, however one problem is the right front foreleg; I imagine it's supposed to be lifting its leg up? Unfortunately the leg kind of bends awkwardly at the knee and it doesn't look quite right to me. Ungulates generally can't bend their knees that way.
The bottom of the leg needs to really recede behind the top of the leg, so it looks like it's pointing backwards instead of sidewards... do you know what I mean? Foreshortening is both hard to explain and do. :c
The rest of the body looks fairly good, but overall it looks kind of flat where you haven't given the fur texture. I think you could fix this with shading, like shading the bottom of the stomach to show the curvature of his gut and his thighs.
Other than those minor nitpicks, this is pretty good! It's a great likeness. Did you draw this from a photo or ~imagination~?

There's a lot of cute things in here (I want that tie goddamit) but I think I'll critique the guy with the cat tie. I'm not sure if this is a character from anywhere; I don't recognise him as such~
I think generally his shoulders are a little to wide, making his head look small on top of his body. Like, where the first creases of his shirt on either side, going outwards from his neck - those look like to me where his shoulders would end. But idk, minor nitpick. The face is really good, but the nose could do with a little work. Noses are hard to draw! You usually have to draw the shading around the nose and work around it to show the point and such when you're not working in profile view.
Again, shading would bring this figure out a lot! It helps to define the form (three-dimensional shapes) of a drawing.

Reference is coming |D I'm just getting used to paint.net (thanks linoone~)

(Aaargh I wrote a giant reply and the forum ate it. Nerg.)

Leaving the storybook to the new year sounds good; we could still start in January, though, if somebody who didn't mind doing another drawing(/didn't do ArtMo) started us off. Or we could all do a tiny bit of the front page, like Spoon (I think) said; then we'd only have to do a little bit of drawing for it for January, or the first part of the month anyway.

I did a messy little reference while the forum was down! In which I abandoned regular colouring in favour of the magic of taaaablet.

@Ice tigerrr: nice elk. The detailing and shading on the head/neck area looks good, particularly where you can see the foldy parts of its neck. The back part of its body looks a little bare in comparison, though; the lines are much more smooth and there's not as much shading etc., so it looks a bit out of place. As a whole, though, it looks fairly realistic and the way its strecthing its neck is nice
Also: ahhh Hetalia. o_x I have bad experiences with it; some fangirls should not leave the silence of the internet, no. Excusing that, however, your drawings look true to their characters and are pretty cute. c: The horse's head looks correct, too, looking good for a doodle - and I don't know who the bald guy under the cat/lion head is, but he looks like a rabid Voldemort and it made me giggle.

@Linoone: detailed reference is very helpful. :D And yaaaay for a lack of fingers~
I like the detail on Prussia's flag, too. His expression is a little scary, but then he usually is soo.

*sticks head back into thread* oh hey guys. I'm terrible about posting, aren't I? Anyway, I think I'm back and such.

Storybook Idea - I wanna be part of this~

Refs - I should do one :I I think I'll start after my seeeecrit saaantah pic for dA is done. I already have a Fursona ref but I don't think anyone would like to draw her too much x3; So Human!me ref is in the works, yay.

As for other stuff...I'm doing ArtMo this year, so yay. You're all going to be bombarded with horrid FMC-arts in a day or so. Most of them will probably be me practicing realistic faces with my mom, since she's trying to improve my face-skills so I can apprentice in a local Tattoo parlor like I wanted to, and go to an art school, like we both want me to do.

Uh. I suck at crits and can't choose anything to crit D: Ask me to crit stuff and I'll do it though! Probably in a terribly confusing and rambly manner, but I'll do it.

Oh um. I'll leave this here....

Thanks for Paint.NET; I had GIMP before but it had a tendency to crap out on me and I hated how everything opened in its own individual window. I've only played around with Paint.NET a bit and some aspects of it annoy me (is there no transparency lock?!!) but I like the interface a lot better. :v

If any of you all need something for ArtMo / just want to do some studies, I found the most amazing website ever.

http://www.3d.sk/

If you need a reference, they have it! Do note that it has nude models that might pop up when you're searching for something else, but it also has models wearing every type of clothing you could ever want. It even has animals!

Edit: Eep! Always a catch! apparently you have to pay if you want huge references, but you still get small pictures to work from I guess. :v;

Last edited:
well considering I forgot about artmo till this afternoon (if forgot it was december, ehehe) I did a quick slap-together reference for december 1.

bow chick-a wow-wow

er you can crit if you like, but this is the first time I used Paint.net so erf I didn't shade it or anything

since it's like 10:19 at night and I'm tired from work I'll crit your works in the morning, L'il Dwagie but they look good <3

look a ref sheet

Using this as Day Two of ArtMo, because I yet again didn't have any time to sit down and really draw.

Of course, I forgot to add on that ref sheet: yes, my hair does hang into my face on one side and yes, it is always combed over the bandanna at halfway. No exceptions except when my mom wants to use me as her personal styling head for fancy do's.

HEY GUYS

Since I have close to no life I have decided to make a Christmas Eve/Christmas OS pic!

Not for ArtMo, mainly because I am starting now. any ideas/what you want to be doing/help?

So far I have Kai gunspinnign and leaning on thew tree With!Dannichu riding Spoon!Spoon like a broom (AND SPREADING RAIIIINBOWS) and that's about it :|

HEY GUYS

Since I have close to no life I have decided to make a Christmas Eve/Christmas OS pic!

Not for ArtMo, mainly because I am starting now. any ideas/what you want to be doing/help?

So far I have Kai gunspinnign and leaning on thew tree With!Dannichu riding Spoon!Spoon like a broom (AND SPREADING RAIIIINBOWS) and that's about it :|

It'd be cool if you had some other holidays themes, too. I assume that most people here celebrate Christmas, but other holidays are would be a nice thing to see.

A few OSers eating cookies would be spiffy. I can see a few of the falling asleep, too.

This pictures sounds like it's going to turn out great. So far your ideas sound really creative and I'm sure you'll pull them off well.

It'd be cool if you had some other holidays themes, too. I assume that most people here celebrate Christmas, but other holidays are would be a nice thing to see.

A few OSers eating cookies would be spiffy. I can see a few of the falling asleep, too.

This pictures sounds like it's going to turn out great. So far your ideas sound really creative and I'm sure you'll pull them off well.

Nice o: Anyone celebrate Kwanzaa or anything? A list would be epic.

Cookies, and falling asleep. Well, most peple do those during th' holidays...who volunteers to by hyped up on eggnoggg?

BLARGH.

Typh pushed me here.

I have no idea what is going on at the moment.

I shall step back now and lurk until I actually figure out what is going on.

RandomTyphoon, you're officially awesome for attempting a groupic.

Groupic should totally be a word.

:'D

I just realized, what with the very large chance of stayin' over an uncle's house for the holidays, this will be done later then Christmas, but oh well :|

I know where mostly everyone's going, total of fourteen. You're swing-dancing with Drunk!Dwagie, so yeah :D

*scribbbles groupic in dictionary*

Boxing day...?

TO GOOGLE AWAY

EDIT: n. The first weekday after Christmas, celebrated as a holiday in parts of the British Commonwealth, when Christmas gifts are traditionally given to service workers.

So like Christmas for blue collar workers, I guess...?

Boxing Day is for eating leftover turkey and sleeping late...!

Well not really, but I'm not actually certain what it is about so. o_O; It's a bank holiday. For something.

Yay for a groupic~! :D Having only ever failed miserably at one, I commend your effort.

Dwagie, I looove your colouring style. It's both vibrant and has a touch of realism (the inside of Rinna's ear looks properly fleshy, it's cool).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom