• Welcome to The Cave of Dragonflies forums, where the smallest bugs live alongside the strongest dragons.

Guests are not able to post messages or even read certain areas of the forums. Now, that's boring, don't you think? Registration, on the other hand, is simple, completely free of charge, and does not require you to give out any personal information at all. As soon as you register, you can take part in some of the happy fun things at the forums such as posting messages, voting in polls, sending private messages to people and being told that this is where we drink tea and eat cod.

Of course I'm not forcing you to do anything if you don't want to, but seriously, what have you got to lose? Five seconds of your life?

On Recent Actions Involving the Spriting Board(s)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I suppose what I was ultimately trying to get at was that, while I like the forums, there isn't really much for me here, and I doubt I am alone in this.

This seems to have been lost in the rush to explain in great detail why being an asshole is a bad thing and why everyone else's enjoyment is very very important.

Thanks. :V Not being a dick is an easy problem to solve; I am concerned with one that is more difficult.

Oh well.

g8tr, you are a terrible bore nowadays.
Probably because I rarely post here anyways and when I do it's just because a bunch of people keep telling me that thread X simply cannot live without my well-educated and thought-out opinion. Did you know half of the time I've got that obnoxious little header that tells me I haven't posted in awhile and I just post to get rid of it?
On a sidenote, does anyone here think G8tr should've been banned ages ago? I'm completely serious about this.
Yes please ban him. He shot my dog, banged my wife, and burned down my house all in one day. Start a thread with a poll asking if I should be banned, that used to work well back in the old days.

I read most of the thread and briefly scanned the tl;dr posts I felt were worth scanning. (See: What Eevee and Negrek have to say.) I don't have much to say even after reading the whole thing but oh well here goes. It's time for your reckoning.

So first let me address one thing about that "it's avant-garde to type with no caps or puncuation" thing, it's merely a side effect of talking with a lot of people that don't use them. Monkey see, monkey do, monkey look just like you! It is not an attempt to be hip or "with it", as the homeslices say down in the crib, it's just faster. By default, I type properly because it's how I learned to type. typing like this however is slightly faster and speed is always nice when I don't really care about what is going on

You'll notice that I have a very hard time forfeiting my apostrophes and capital I. I just can't do it. :x

So, moving on to the big issue, being a snarky dick. I wasn't always, you know. There used to be a time when I would defend people against myself. What happened? I lost my faith. I wanted to give everyone a chance, I wanted to help them grow. They didn't. I wanted to be a great peacemaker, one that would be looked up to and praised widely. Anyone who remembers my behavior during the anonymous board areas will surely vindicate my claims. And what did my tireless work give me? Nothing. A brief sense of accomplishment, more fleeting than beating a game that I've already finished repeatedly. Back then, when I got an infraction, it was from raging at someone else for being such a jerkface. Even then, my rage was a beautiful collapse from normal logical thinking to absolutely insane. Facing unending combat, an eternal battle against the influx of the internet, I chose the coward's way out. The bliss of not caring, the ease of dropping rocks on people from an unassailable position. How delightful. In time, I grew bored of the board. Seeking seclusion, I quietly withdrew myself from the board. It's a lot easier than you lot make it out to be. Of course I still hung out in the IRC channel, I have friends and some of them are worth keeping. Occasionally I would voice my opinion on a linked thread, but the only forum I bothered keeping tabs on was the video games forum. I view it as mine, and it is the one place I still feel loyalty for.

In my boredom one day, I decided to peruse the the various other boards, a decision I have quickly come to regret. Upon stumbling onto insanity, and finding the bane of intelligent thought still existing, I took it upon myself to facilitate its destruction, or at the very least, pacification. But how best to achieve this? There were a few methods. A quick look at my infraction log revealed to me that I could afford to start a nice riot. I even informed surskitty so that she could have her policies concerning the spriting board put into action. So after my nice little thirty point infraction, I decided that I shouldn't go too much farther and just directly appealed to Butterfree with my plan for the insanity board, to which she agreed. I then asked her if she would continue acting her part in the thread so that we may have a good time pretending to hammer out the argreement there. She said she would, but she didn't. Hell, so far as I can tell, no effort has been made to make good on the plan I discussed.

As I see it, that thread begat this thread. As surskitty was much more skilled in having her policies put into action, hers very quickly gave birth to the inevitable thread of people complaining that the forum is not Freedom Land. Furret felt the need to be reminded of a system that he was once a part of, and this age-old topic of "people are mean" came up again. An unfortunate consequence was Altmer being banned, something I take at least partial blame for, in that my riot lead to this thread, which gave altmer sufficient fuel to show us his rage. Hell, I myself got 10 points off of this for making a post that was only related to the original focus of the thread, as opposed to what it had become. Despite making a completely valid point, of course. But I digress, it is only ten points, those heal relatively quickly. You rise, you fall, you're down and you rise again, what don't kill ya makes ya more strong.

So please, excuse me when I no longer behave like the naive fool who once believed in the inherent good of all internet users. And please believe me when I tell you I tried to make things better. Where I shall go from here, I'm not entirely sure. In some ways, I continue to fight the good fight, if only behind the scenes. While I frequently call for the banning of people that are merely stupid, the only ones I have any follow through on are those that possess a malice towards the well being of the board. Ask anyone on the IRC channel, my internet detective skills are as sharp as ever. If it pleases you, know that I do not intend to become active in any sense of the word. In my current state, I am locked from the last bastion of intelligent discussion on this forum, and even that is poisoned by incredible lack of care for the quality of one's own post. I can still see the CC, of course. I rarely post there but I enjoy feeding from the suffering of others. My only active interest now is a collaboration with several other users to introduce a high-quality RP into the RP board to see how it fares in the quagmire of festering terrible RPs. Unwelcome ones, your time has come!

tl;dr: brief recount of recent events, explanation of my attitude, and an outlook of things to come.

Some snark convert who condescends in fake almost purple prose that he was such a dreadful idiot when he cared about others is somebody not worthwhile.

What's this? A worthwhile thread? No waaay!

that is the issue of this forum encapsulated in one paragraph. good job on recognising it, now try to view everything dear Altmer said in that context. maybe you'll see his point

Okay, uh. I am incidentally also really freaking sick of people being dicks. My main dilemma is that the people who are dicks tend to be nice, intelligent people with a sense of humour whom I actually like when they're not being dicks and whom I don't really want to reprimand, particularly when I know the Dick Clique generally considers itself cooler than me and will not hesitate to gang up on me with the typical comments about how dumb I am and I will essentially achieve nothing but get them up against me and oh woe is me because I hate getting people I like and respect up against me.

well maybe people wouldn't be dicks if you, you know, gave them a reason not to be. that is the whole issue. people are dicks if they get bored with stuff being below their level of thought. they are trying to raise standards. the same old stuff.... it just gets boring after a while.

I can see Eevee's point and what the people who agree with him are getting at; it just does not convince me there is any need for snark. Or in other words, if you think writing a thought-out, helpful post in a thread won't be worth your time (and honestly, I don't think that's a lot of the time), I cannot get myself to sympathize with the sentiment that it would be a good idea to make a post to mock the person instead. It may entertain a select few people, but overall, it is bad for the general atmosphere of the forum, promotes more of that class distinction between the cool dick clique and the nice masses (which is a large part of the whole culture problem, because the latter are less likely to respect the former when they do make thought-out posts), and can hurt people's feelings. If you want to snark about some person's post because it will entertain the Dick Clique, you can do that in private with the people it will entertain - the #tcod IRC channel is mostly a Dick Clique get-together, after all, you get your laughs with the others, somebody can make a thought-out post against the original if they feel the need to, and everybody goes home happy. To post the mocking publically achieves nothing I could consider in any way positive for anyone.

PUBLIC CASTRATION IS A GOOD IDEA.

like eevee said, good posts fall on deaf ears. why would anyone waste their time posting constructive shit when people don't listen because it's tl;dr. people have the wrong attitude anyway. it is not WORTH IT for people to put time and effort in something when it's blatantly ignored. now that is more disrespectful than any curseword or vulgarity ever.

And Altmer, just go away. I liked you way back when, but the general sentiment that it is cool to have no basic respect for other human beings who don't meet your arbitrary standards honestly sickens me. If you do not wish to follow the rules of this forum, you forfeit your right to be here.

to be honest with you I think he a) doesn't think about no respect for human beings in the way that you insinuated and b) he thinks that "his arbitrary standards" are an irrelevant concept. from what I gather from his posts except the last couple excessive bits taunting Arylett I think you're entirely missing the boat. his point is that people should uh, post things in proper places with proper thought instead of striving for mediocrity. he is completely bored of people's instant-gratification semi-funny attitudes and his tendency is to take that boredom and frustration out. it turns out that he prefers cynicism and wit over violent fist fights. he's being an ass because the forum would have it no other way. it isn't about shitting on people's fun. it is to introduce some form of quality control and posting threshold that actually makes sure the forums that require it are worth reading and don't suffer from clogging with surveys or shitty threads that promote little to no discussion at all.

unfortunately, he is Altmer, and tends to say this with no regard for people's feelings because his words will always be the ones that cut through skin like knives. direct honesty and anger is preferable to soft sweet lies. we aren't living in bubbles, no matter how much people think that. there is no sugarcoating, not on the internet, not nowhere. the fact that you have to be a complete twat to get that point across just illustrates the fanbase of this forum. are you even surprised he doesn't take you seriously? if I were that guy, I'd have given up and stopped posting ages before he did. i think his patience finally ran out.

I don't know...

But I miss Altmer. I am slightly tearing up now that he's banned...

find other methods of communication

I suppose what I was ultimately trying to get at was that, while I like the forums, there isn't really much for me here, and I doubt I am alone in this.

this holds a lot of truth. this is probably one of the cleverest people on the forum. he's completely disinterestred in actually posting even though he likes the members of the community because most of it, quite frankly, isn't worth wasting words on. i think Altmer felt the same, only he has that tendency to completely fly off the handle.

Still, I'm sure Altmer is well aware of how amazingly difficult it is to rejoin and not get noticed after being banned.

if he even cares. i think that clinching with the admin wouldn't be a particularly big incentive to come back, especially considering he is probably in touch with the members he cares about anyway or something. don't think that the few random youngins that looked up to the snark were actually... worth that much.

that's pretty much my $0.02

peace out
Gamma Ray

Some snark convert who condescends in fake almost purple prose that he was such a dreadful idiot when he cared about others is somebody not worthwhile.

That is pretty good. I do still care about others, just not all others. It's not really fake, though. :B It is overly-dramatic, but that's how I like it.

So first let me address one thing about that "it's avant-garde to type with no caps or puncuation" thing, it's merely a side effect of talking with a lot of people that don't use them. Monkey see, monkey do, monkey look just like you! It is not an attempt to be hip or "with it", as the homeslices say down in the crib, it's just faster.
Actually it is the classic sign of fakeposting. I suppose the implication is that whatever I'm replying to is so worthless that I can't even be bothered to press Shift.

feels good man
I can only hear this in Lati's voice. He said it some two dozen times while I was away for Mel's wedding. :(

Actually it is the classic sign of fakeposting. I suppose the implication is that whatever I'm replying to is so worthless that I can't even be bothered to press Shift.
Agreed. When I type using no capital letters, I use it to show that either
a) I am not being completely serious
b) What I am saying isn't all that important.

This can be useful.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom