• Welcome to The Cave of Dragonflies forums, where the smallest bugs live alongside the strongest dragons.

Guests are not able to post messages or even read certain areas of the forums. Now, that's boring, don't you think? Registration, on the other hand, is simple, completely free of charge, and does not require you to give out any personal information at all. As soon as you register, you can take part in some of the happy fun things at the forums such as posting messages, voting in polls, sending private messages to people and being told that this is where we drink tea and eat cod.

Of course I'm not forcing you to do anything if you don't want to, but seriously, what have you got to lose? Five seconds of your life?

Operating Systems

What OS do you use?

• Windows

Votes: 30 68.2%
  • Linux

Votes: 6 13.6%
  • Mac

Votes: 3 6.8%
  • UNIX

Votes: 1 2.3%
  • Other

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Multiple

Votes: 4 9.1%

• Total voters
Re: Quite possibly the most debated thing... ever.

I use Windows XP primarly, but not because I think it's the best operating system ever or anything. When I get to purchase my own computer I hope it will be a Mac, because although I've never used it I've heard good things about it.

Windows 98 is epic fail and so is Vista. I will NOT buy a computer with Vista, nonono. D:

My computer has a dual boot, Windows XP and Debian Linux, but I pretty much never use Linux. Even though I think it's supposed to be faster it actually seems to go slower on my computer (especially when playing youtube videos). That and a lot of programs I like to use aren't on Linux, and pretty much all of my files are on my Windows partition. I could probably fix that I suppose, I just can't be bothered to do all that work. :3 Dunno, maybe I'll give Linux another try sometime.

My boyfriend installed OpenBSD on his laptop and he seems to like it pretty well.

have fun buying outdated computers/macs/computers with no OS
Thank you, I will have lots of fun indeed. :D Computers with no OS are rather better than ones with Vista, IMHO. And anyway, it's not like Vista is the LAST OS Microsoft is going to make... IIRC they're already developing a new one as I type this.

Vista is great in all honesty o.o I was skeptical but my new computer came with it so I figured I'd try it for the hell of it before throwing some other OS on it. sure it has some quirks and annoying features but those are easy enough to disable.

And I haven't had any compatibility issues, either; all 26 programs I have installed on this thing work just fine. :P

Even if I for some reason wanted Vista it would run REALLY REALLY slow on my current computer. I'd like an OS that doesn't hog so much memory.

I've had my computer for maybe five years, and it perfectly adequate to run XP (768mb of RAM). I don't see how the release of Vista justifies me buying a whole new computer and spending loads of money on something I don't need. I don't see how Vista is an improvement over XP other than it's "newer" and maybe includes a newer version of Windows Media Player or something. I don't exactly have money pouring out of my ears. X_X

My boyfriend's computer is ten years old and runs the newest version of OpenBSD very well. Why does Microsoft's OS have to require such high specs?

Then chances are your computer is beyond outdated.

actually if you want Vista to not look like Windows 98 you need like... 1GB of RAM.

have fun buying outdated computers/macs/computers with no OS

I always buy computers with no OS. o.o

I've had my computer for maybe five years, and it perfectly adequate to run XP (768mb of RAM). I don't see how the release of Vista justifies me buying a whole new computer and spending loads of money on something I don't need. I don't see how Vista is an improvement over XP other than it's "newer" and maybe includes a newer version of Windows Media Player or something. I don't exactly have money pouring out of my ears. X_X
I never told you to get Vista. I just said it's not exactly worthy of the bad reputation it has from a casual user's point of view.

I wasn't saying that you were telling me to get Vista. I'm just saying that there's absolutely no reason for me to get it if I don't have $1000 or so to throw out the window. And I was complaining that Vista is a resource hog, apparently unnecessarily because other OSes are much less demanding.

It looks ugly. :(
Uh compared to what exactly 8V

I don't like the way that all the programs are crammed into this tiny bar at the bottom on the desktop.
Then use the Applications folder. And if the bar is too tiny, make it bigger and/or delete some stuff from it.

This is probably my own ignorance, but I can't even figure out how to get the search prompt thing going.
Click the magnifying glass?

Uh compared to what exactly 8V

Windows. The Mac I saw was all ugly and over-glossy (like Vista is now, with all the unnecessary transparencies). I didn't like it.

Then use the Applications folder. And if the bar is too tiny, make it bigger and/or delete some stuff from it.

Well like I said, the only Mac I've ever used was in the Apple store here. I don't know anyone who uses a Mac.

How good is Linux?

Windows. The Mac I saw was all ugly and over-glossy (like Vista is now, with all the unnecessary transparencies). I didn't like it.
...what, Leopard? Only the menu bar is translucent, and only the dock is shiny, and both of those are new to Leopard anyway; regular windows are as plain as they've always been.

How good is Linux?
excellent

tbh Vista is the only OS I don't like currently, so I'm waiting until about 2010 to get it; by then most programs should be compatible with it and a few workarounds if the bugs aren't cleared by then. Those aside, it looks pretty but I think it'll butcher any integrated video cards it comes in contact with because of those transparencies and effects.

Mac is a bit fiddly for me but it's fine; just a bit weak with programs.

98 was bad; I've been bluescreened a thousand times on a weekly basis. ME was not too shabby, I never really used it much.

Uh, I've never encountered a program compatible with XP but not Vista.

My laptop can run Vista's transparencies and so on fine with an integrated video card if I want it to. :\

I know next to nothing about operating systems. I've only ever used Windows, more specifically 98, 2000 and XP...

XP IS SO SLOW ON EVERY SINGLE COMPUTER I'VE USED IT ON
2000 is awesome ;D

The only thing I didn't like when I first got it was because I had this OCD-ish tendency of needing all my icons to be perfectly positioned, it annoyed me when it just threw them around randomly and made scrollbars needlessly in folders. Now that I've figured out how to fix that it is more awesome, yerrss indeed.

No, I have absolutely no idea about operating systems. I use the one that I have. :/

I use Windows XP for no particular reason other than its what came installed on my hard drive and It's what I'm used to. I have no problem with Mac, or Linux, I just use Windows.
Pretty much what this guy said~ I really don't know anything about operating systems and really don't care enough to get Linux or Mac or whatever. Whatever's on the computer I happen to buy, it's what I use. I'm not bothered, I used to have Windows ME. And after that, I can handle pretty much anything you throw at me.

On the subject of Windows ME, which I used to have. What's the difference between that and 2000 exactly?

On the subject of Windows ME, which I used to have. What's the difference between that and 2000 exactly?

Me was preceded by 3.11, 95, and 98; 2000 was preceded by the NT line. XP unified the two lines.

Also, Me was even more terrible than usual.

Back
Top Bottom