• Welcome to The Cave of Dragonflies forums, where the smallest bugs live alongside the strongest dragons.

Guests are not able to post messages or even read certain areas of the forums. Now, that's boring, don't you think? Registration, on the other hand, is simple, completely free of charge, and does not require you to give out any personal information at all. As soon as you register, you can take part in some of the happy fun things at the forums such as posting messages, voting in polls, sending private messages to people and being told that this is where we drink tea and eat cod.

Of course I'm not forcing you to do anything if you don't want to, but seriously, what have you got to lose? Five seconds of your life?

Pokémon Team Regulations

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Pokémon Team Regulations

Ok, here is an example I would like to ask about:

Lets say I took a Garchomp and a Pidgeotto. What would be the restrictions on them, considering how powerful Garchomp is and how weak Pidgeotto is in comparison

I'm afraid I'm not sure at the moment. Although I know how I'm going to determine rarities, I haven't actually gone through and grouped all the pokémon yet.

Look... I know this is spam-ish... but where do i get a bank account. I never used to do ASB, on the old forums, and I really wanna... what do I do?

Turbler, it's sort of obvious that the new ASB isn't even finished yet. Just be patient and wait 'til it's done.

Two questions:

1) I was banned from ASB because I was using more than one account to cheat at ASB. Now that I'm re-allowed to join, must I use my main account's team as my carry-over, or must I start anew? (We CAN carry over our teams, right?)

2) Do we start with the money we had before if we carry over?

1. You can start anew, but... I suggest rereading the thread for discussion about carrying things over.

2. No.

Hmm... I think you might've misunderstood what I was asking. What I was saying was that the archive was really the only "official" record of teams, and it is now inaccessible. I understand that personal websites can't be counted as reliable records--I could go edit my site right now and add twenty-seven Dragonites to my roster--but, quite frankly, one could technically have done the same to their onsite profile and, since they weren't policed regularly (if at all) and a lot of people didn't bother linking to them anywhere, no one would really know. I doubt that this happened, but it's still a possibility. Not one that really matters at this point, which is the main problem, but still.

The only real proof you could have, then, is if the Pokémon in question is actively in battle/a contest or else by going through business/purchase/whatever records. And since the business threads, like the archive, no longer exist... how can anyone prove they had anything beyond what's in a recoverable battle/contest?

Honestly, most of the Pokémon I'd really want to bring over anyway are so occupied so it isn't a problem for me, but if I wanted to actually get my previous Sceptile back instead of a new one, how could I prove that I had it? What did you have in mind?

And since the business threads, like the archive, no longer exist... how can anyone prove they had anything beyond what's in a recoverable battle/contest?
You mean, how could there be any pokémon people would get besides those currently in battles in contests? Previous contests, battles, and so forth would also count, even if they're no longer "active"... so, you could get Don Quixote back at the end of the Grand Festival for free, but you could also pay to reclaim Zelos, as presumably there's record of him from the February Contest.

I don't know whether other referees keep any of their completed battles like I do (too lazy to delete them), so admittedly there might not be much available. Other than that, you would just recreate what you wanted, or use the bonus to create some entirely new team members. So, other than currently active battles and contests, it'd just be old battles and contests, and possibly business records (if anyone happens to keep those), in terms of sources of pokémon outside those currently in the field. I also still have the file with the Christmas gifts I gave out last year, if anyone would want those pokémon back.

Edit: At least, I hope that's what you were asking...?

Presumably in the Team Approval Center once ASB actually re-opens. :V

Okay, I'll just say first that I'm liking these changes. I do like looking at the ASB as a kind of roleplaying/strategy game (which it basically is, but the statement still stands), so anything that enhances the realisim and adds to the challenge looks like great fun to me.

As for the rules on retrieving, I really wish I'd been more active before the forums went kablooey. The only pokemon I'll be able to get are Kiba and Diana from the Grand Festival, and since there's no record of their signature moves due to it being a contest and not a battle, I'll have to re-write and re-approve them.

Still, this does mean I'll be putting more thought into my new team. Stuff like considering which species has the most bang for the buck and whether I should head for my favourites or pick something more sensible for competition...Taking into account type variety...researching and comparing movesets...deciding when to go with battle sense or contest sense when there's a conflict.

Yep, this'll be really fun. As soon as I find out what pokemon are considered what rarity, what the prices are for each rarity level, the conditions for various evolutions, and how much money I'll have initially (I'm guessing that it'll be a little more than $15, what with people starting from scratch having to actually buy their team.), I'll start figuring out what freebies I'll pick up from the promotion and what I'll just buy.

I also want to say thanks for doing all this. I mean, it can't be easy coming up with and organizing all this stuff; I couldn't do it, anyway. So, thank you, Negrek, for putting so much effort into making the ASB so much fun. :grin:

Aww, thanks. Hopefully you'll continue to be excited about the new system after I've put up some of the more concrete rules, starting with the rarity lists and evolution requirements below.

First, though, something I forgot: if you're a creaky old ASB veteran, you can also bring back pokémon from waaaay back in the Invisionfree days, as all those records are still safe. Here's the old-old Approval Center if you want to browse through.

The following is a very rough draft of the rarity lists and rules for making your initial starter team. The pokémon have yet to be alphabetized within their rarity groups, so ctrl+f is your best bet for finding a particular species/seeing if I missed one:

Starting trainers get $45 to spend. Thus, it is possible to buy a team of up to nine pokémon, with the minimum being two (a rarity eight and a rarity five) unless you wanted to take fewer and have more extra cash on hand. These prices hold true both for the initial purchase of a team and for all purchases thereafter WITH THE EXCEPTION OF the nine starters; starting trainers are permitted to count up to one of these pokémon on their team as a rarity-three selection. Therefore, A trainer could take a team of Charmander, Pikachu, Caterpie, Weedle, Pidgey, and Rattata, but not Charmander, Bulbasaur, Caterpie, Weedle, Pidgey, Rattata, as the former team comes to $40 in cash and the latter $55.

Rarity One ($5): Caterpie, Weedle, Pidgey, Rattata, Spearow, Ekans, Sandshrew, Zubat, Oddish, Diglett, Meowth, Poliwag, Bellsprout, Geodude, Magikarp, Sentret, Hoothoot, Ledyba, Spinarak, Hoppip, Wooper, Poochyena, Zigzagoon, Wurmple, Lotad, Seedot, Shroomish, Slakoth, Nincada, Numel, Spoink, Swablu, Baltoy, Feebas, Spheal, Clamperl, Starly, Bidoof, Kricketot, Budew, Bronzor

Rarity Two ($7): Abra, Taillow, Surskit, Pachirisu, Corphish, Krabby, Horsea, Goldeen, Staryu, Swinub, Gulpin, Carvanha, Shuppet, Luvdisc, Stunky, Nidoran m/f, Mareep, Sunkern, Ralts, Shinx

Rarity Three ($10): Pikachu, Vulpix, Paras, Venonat, Psyduck, Mankey, Growlithe, Tentacool, Ponyta, Slowpoke, Magnemite, Doduo, Seel, Grimer, Shellder, Gastly, Drowzee, Voltorb, Cubone, Koffing, Chinchou, Pichu, Togepi, Natu, Pineco, Snubbull, Slugma, Remoraid, Wingull, Whismur, Cacnea, Barboach, Duskull, Buizel, Cherubi, Shellos, Buneary, Glameow, Finneon, Trapinch

Rarity Four ($13): Wailmer, Wynaut, Drifloon, Happiny, Hippopotas, Croagunk, Mime Jr, Cleffa, Azurill, Volbeat, Illumise, Igglybuff, Machop, Makuhita, Aron, Meditite, Bonsly, Plusle, Minun

Rarity Five ($15): Exeggute, Torkoal, Zangoose, Seviper, Spiritomb, Rhyhorn, Teddiursa, Houndour, Phanpy, Electrike, Burmy, Combee, Chingling, Skorupi, Snover, Nosepass, Skitty, Spinda

Rarity Six ($20): Yanma, Tyrogue, Riolu, Munchlax, Girafarig, Gligar, Sneasel, Corsola, Murkrow, Kelceon, Tropius, Carnivine, Unown, Dunsparce, Shuckle

Rarity Seven ($25): Bulbasaur, Charmander, Squirtle, Farfetch'd, Onix, Lickitung, Tangela, Kangaskhan, Scyther, Pinsir, Tauros, Lapras, Eevee, Dratini, Chikorita, Cyndaquil, Totodile, Aipom, Misdreavus, Qwilfish, Heracross, Delibird, Stantler, Smeargle, Smoochum, Elekid, Magby, Miltank, Larvitar, Treecko, Torchic, Mudkip, Sableye, Mawile, Lunatone, Solrock, Bagon, Turtwig, Chimchar, Piplup, Gible

Rarity Eight ($30): Ditto, Absol, Chatot, Beldum, Mantyke, Skarmory, Porygon, Omanyte, Kabuto, Aerodactyl, Lileep, Anorith, Castform, Cranidos, Shieldon, Rotom

Pokémon that evolve by level fall into several different categories.

If a pokémon evolves twice and by level the first time, the first evolution requires participation in two battles to complete UNLESS that pokémon falls into one of the following two groups:

Group 1: Zubat, Oddish, Poliwag, Bellsprout, Geodude, Beldum, Ralts, Gastly, Whismur, Machop
Group 2: Spheal, Horsea, Swinub, Magnemite, Trapinch, Aron, Dratini, Larvitar, Gible, Bagon, Rhyhorn, Elekid, Magby, Duskull

Members of group one require three battles to complete their first evolution, and those in group two require four.

If a pokémon evolves twice and evolves by level the second time, it must participate in four battles in its middle stage in order to reach its final evolution UNLESS it is among one of the following:

Lairon, Gabite, Loudred, Vibrava, Sealeo, Shelgon, Metang, Pupitar

These pokémon require five battles to reach their final evolution.

If a pokémon evolves by level but evolves only once, it requires three battles to evolve UNLESS it falls into one of the following two groups:

Group 1: Grimer, Koffing, Slugma, Meditite, Swablu, Baltoy, Shuppet, Glameow, Croagunk
Group 2: Ponyta, Omanyte, Kabuto, Wailmer, Lileep, Anorith, Snorunt, Skorupi, Snover

Members of group one require four battles to evolve, whereas members of group two require five.

Pokémon such as yanma, which require specific moves to evolve, are counted simply as evolving by level, and pokémon such as magneton, which require leveling up in a particular location to evolve, are again burdened with no restrictions beyond those for normal level evolution. The same is true of tyrogue.

Nincada will evolve into ninjask as normal with three battles' worth of experience. However, if the trainer wishes to claim a shedinja as well as the evolved ninjask, they must pay an additional $30 at the time that their ninjask evolves. Shedinja is considered a first-stage rarity seven pokémon.

There are some pokémon whose movepools are so restrictive that they are considered nearly impossible to use in battle for the purpose of leveling up. While they may be evolved as normal through the acquisition of battle experience, the trainer may alternatively choose to pay for them to be boarded at a day-care center by the league for the following prices:

$10 - Weedle, Caterpie, Wurmple
$20 - Metapod, Kakuna, Silcoon, Cascoon
$30 - Magikarp, Beldum, Combee (f), Burmy

Pokémon that evolve purely by trading, such as kadabra, may be evolved for free upon being transferred to another player (as a gift or as part of a trade, for example). Alternatively, they may be evolved as though they were in the "high-level-evolution" group of the three-stage families, requiring five battles to advance from the second stage of evolution.

Pokémon that evolve by trading with a held item, meeting some condition while holding a held item, or by evolution stone of any sort, need only complete one battle while holding the appropriate stone or item in order to complete their evolution. These evolution items may be purchased from the Team Approval Center and have effects while held as listed below:

Elemental Stones - Adds a 1% damage bonus to all attacks of the type corresponding to the stone (after all other modifiers are applied) and reduces the cost to use these attacks by 1% energy.
Dusk Stone - So long as the pokémon holding this has a health total of below 33%, all its attacks do 2% more damage after all other modifiers have been applied.
Dawn Stone - So long as the pokémon holding this has a health total of above 66%, all its attacks do 2% more damage after all other modifiers have been applied.
Sun Stone - When sunny day is in effect, a pokémon holding this item regains 1% health and 1% energy per action.
Shiny Stone - All attacks made against a pokémon holding this item have their accuracy reduced by 5%.
Deepseascale - When held by clamperl in battle, it reduces damage taken from special attacks by 2% after all other modifiers have been applied. It may also be used to evolve clamperl.
Deepseatooth - When held by clamperl in battle, it boosts the damage dealt by special attacks by 2% after all other modifiers have been applied. It may also be used to evolve clamperl.
King's Rock - When a pokémon holds this item, all its attacks that have no secondary effects gain a 10% chance of causing the foe to flinch. It is used to evolve slowpoke and poliwhirl.
Razor Claw - Attacks made by a pokémon holding this item start in a critical hit domain one higher than usual. It is used to evolve sneasel.
Razor Fang - When a pokémon holds this item, all its attacks that have no secondary effects gain a 10% chance of causing the foe to flinch. It is used to evolve gligar.
Reaper Cloth - A pokémon holding this item has the ability "Intimidate" in addition to all other abilities. It is used to evolve dusclops.
Up-Grade - If held by porygon, this item grants a 1% boost to all damaging attacks after all other modifiers have been applied. It is used to evolve porgyon.
Dubious Disc - If held by porygon or porygon2, this pokémon's damaging attacks all deal 1% more damage for 1% less energy but have their accuracy reduced by 10%. It is used to evolve porygon2.
Protector - A pokémon holding this item has the ability "Battle Armor" in addition to all other abilities. It is used to evolve rhydon.
Electirizer - A pokémon holding this item has the ability "Motor Drive" in addition to all other abilities. It is used to evolve electabuzz, and if held by a pokémon weak to electricity will deal 1% damage to them per action.
Magmarizer - A pokémon holding this item has the ability "Flash Fire" in addition to all other abilities. It is used to evolve magmar, and if held by a pokémon weak to fire will deal them 1% damage per action.
Dragon Scale - A pokémon holding this item takes 1% less damage from fire-, water-, grass-, and electric-type attacks and 1% more damage from dragon- and ice-type attacks after all other modifiers have been applied. It is used to evolve seadra.
Oval Stone - When held by a pokémon, it increases the damage dealt by Present and Egg Bomb by 3% after all other modifiers have been applied and reduces the cost of using Softboiled by 3%. It is used to evolve happiny.

The item is consumed in the process of evolution, and of course this evolution is voluntary; a trainer is welcome to use an electabuzz holding an electirizer without being obligated to then evolve that electabuzz after the battle.

Finally, pokémon that evolve by happiness can reach their next stage either by participating in six battles or by scoring three KO's. All battles participated in and KO's scored while holding the soothe bell count double.

And finally, I've thought of a way to solve the PC issue. The primary thing I was afraid of was that people who had teams before would very quickly be granted access to the most powerful pokémon in their PC, putting them at a big advantage over trainers who had only just recently started/started over--thus the monetary restriction to push back the time at which one would be able to start pulling stuff out of the computer. Instead, I thought perhaps one should only be allowed to withdraw a pokémon from the computer if one already has a pokémon of equal or greater rarity and evolution level in one's active party. Therefore, you'd need to actually earn at least one rarity seven three-stager's final evolution before you could fetch that dragonite out of your PC box.

Last edited:

And finally, I've thought of a way to solve the PC issue. The primary thing I was afraid of was that people who had teams before would very quickly be granted access to the most powerful pokémon in their PC, putting them at a big advantage over trainers who had only just recently started/started over--thus the monetary restriction to push back the time at which one would be able to start pulling stuff out of the computer. Instead, I thought perhaps one should only be allowed to withdraw a pokémon from the computer if one already has a pokémon of equal or greater rarity and evolution level in one's active party. Therefore, you'd need to actually earn at least one rarity seven three-stager's final evolution before you could fetch that dragonite out of your PC box.

Problem: What if, for training, they fill their party with nothing but rarity six? Then they can't get their rarity seven's back out ever again

Last edited:

... but why couldn't they just go get a rarity seven?

Also Negrek~~ ; ; I don't really want to go digging through the IF thread~ Why not go with something like if someone saved their team somewhere, they can post it and certain trusted people can verify bits that they're sure of or something?

... but why couldn't they just go get a rarity seven?
...Because their party is already full?

Then again, they could just deposit one of those rarity-six-and-unders, catch/buy a rarity seven, and evolve it to an equal evolutionary level to the Pokemon they want to withdraw... but that's a lot of work, isn't it?

Perhaps the limit should be not to have a Pokemon of equal/greater evolutionary level and rarity in the party, but to have already trained one in the new rebooted ASB?

(Side note: if your party is full and you either earn a catch or buy a Pokemon, would it automatically be sent to the PC or could you choose a Pokemon in your party to go to the PC so the new one could replace it in your party?)

Also Negrek~~ ; ; I don't really want to go digging through the IF thread~ Why not go with something like if someone saved their team somewhere, they can post it and certain trusted people can verify bits that they're sure of or something?
I don't know; thing is, even I can't verify very much about other peoples' teams, unless I happen to remember battling them at some point. If you want I'll keep an eye out for your posts in the TAC while I'm digging for mine, though.

With regards to depositing your last X-level/evo pokémon: I'm going to count either on people a) not being silly enough to do that or b) being able to get a new pokémon of suitable level and evolution in order to pull their old monster out of purgatory. I don't anticipate this being a real problem, but if it does, I may implement something along the lines of what Jack_the_PumpkinKing suggested. At this point I feel as though that measure will be unnecessary.

(Side note: if your party is full and you either earn a catch or buy a Pokemon, would it automatically be sent to the PC or could you choose a Pokemon in your party to go to the PC so the new one could replace it in your party?)
You can choose to bump something in your party into your PC in such a case. There are some purchases that will automatically go to your PC and not to your party, as a side note of my own.

I don't know; thing is, even I can't verify very much about other peoples' teams, unless I happen to remember battling them at some point. If you want I'll keep an eye out for your posts in the TAC while I'm digging for mine, though.
That would be really awesome.

Some people might've saved copies of things like reffings, though, and people might remember "yeah, I gave Foo a Bar." It'd rely at least somewhat on people not making stuff up, but it wouldn't have been hard to cheat in general in the old ASB, so. :/ [shrug]

Some people might've saved copies of things like reffings, though, and people might remember "yeah, I gave Foo a Bar." It'd rely at least somewhat on people not making stuff up, but it wouldn't have been hard to cheat in general in the old ASB, so. :/ [shrug]
Yeah, old copies of reffings are definitely okay, and if there's someone who can otherwise vouch for you having had something, you'll probably be okay with claiming it unless I have reason to suspect you. In general, though, I don't know to what extent people besides those who would have reason to keep records, like referees, will really be any help in that regard. Certainly I wouldn't remember what I'd given people as gifts, with the exception f a couple, last year without my random shopping list that I saved for some reason.

ASB really does work primarily on the honor system, but I'm still not really comfortable with people posting up a bunch of pokémon and being all, "Kay here's all the stuff I had I want back."

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom