• Welcome to The Cave of Dragonflies forums, where the smallest bugs live alongside the strongest dragons.

Guests are not able to post messages or even read certain areas of the forums. Now, that's boring, don't you think? Registration, on the other hand, is simple, completely free of charge, and does not require you to give out any personal information at all. As soon as you register, you can take part in some of the happy fun things at the forums such as posting messages, voting in polls, sending private messages to people and being told that this is where we drink tea and eat cod.

Of course I'm not forcing you to do anything if you don't want to, but seriously, what have you got to lose? Five seconds of your life?

Pokemon X/Y

I am concerned that because of the megas, we'll have less new Kalos Pokémon, which I'm most excited about. Like, they've said there's going to be over 700 Pokemon after X and Y, but if that's the case, it's just a little more than fifty completely new Pokémon. And we've had about thirty of those at least partially released.

I'm pretty sure they'll have more. Besides, this is one of those 'plateau' generations, where they build on previous generations. Gen II and Gen IV were like this, so I don't see why Kalos would be the exception. There's also the legendaries to consider. Each generation has more than the previous one (Unova being the exception), so there's probably gonna be at least 10 legendary Pokémon.

I like the mega evolutions a lot, but I'm not really focused on how they look. I wonder how they'll affect the competitive scene. Mega Venusaur got a huge boost, though, with Thick Fat, and now that Mega Charizard has Drought it will serve as another option for perma-sunlight in OU -- and plus, it could come out, transform into Mega, make it sunny, get out, and then come back in and activate Solar Power. That would be an interesting strategy. Hmm.

I'm really excited for this.

Affecting the metagame is a large part of why I'm not excited. :c I'll admit my trepidations on that area are not full-formed because, being honest, I don't know 100% how things will be affected, but I'm just very worried it will push things further towards 'faster stronger bigger'. Thick Fat's cool on venusaur, but venusaur's already ou, man. Drought's cool on charizard but then I'll have to see that ugly thing every time it comes out... ahaha...

Oh well, clearly this update is not meant for me.

Nintendo sells Nintendo Wi-Fi Connection USBs thingies specifically for their consoles for about a hundred bucks which sounds steep but it really isn't considering it's frequently updated and I don't think there's a monthly fee or anything.
Just a PSA: do not buy these things. They're $100 because Nintendo doesn't make them anymore, doesn't support them, and they only really work well (often at all) on Windows XP.

Edit: I must say, though--those redone summary sprites are gorgeous.

Last edited:
h498CE7A4

Memebase is a nice place, sometimes.

So I just noticed something.

In BW/B2W2, Shauntal mentions that she had a certain Pokemon in mind with her scarf. While some interviews confirm it to just be based off a black cat, I can't help but feel that it's foreshadowing to an as-of-yet unknown XY Pokemon. Then again, I don't know if any other languages of the game say the same thing; it could just be the English translations making up stuff. Food for thought, though.

Anyway, CoroCoro should leak in about a week or so. I'm really hoping that the starters' evolutions will be revealed then, at least the first stage ones.

Liepard

... Liepard doesn't even remotely look like her scarf.

I'm not that worried about the Global Link. I mostly just used it for Dream World Pokemon, but with the new GTS allowing people to ask for Pokemon they haven't seen in their Pokedex and the Wonder Trade... I think we'll all manage.

http://www.pokemonxy.com/en-us/primary_feature/

"By using Game Sync with the Pokémon Global Link, records of your adventure so far will be displayed in a timeline. Adjust your privacy settings to decide whether to show your timeline to others, or even share your progress on social networking sites!

If other Trainers choose to make their information public, you'll be able to check out what they've done. See how far other Trainers from around the world have gotten—you may even be able to help each other out with hints and advice!"

Yeah, I love the new menu sprites. Proper colors! Fixed weirdness! (What do the red Xes on some of the old sprites mean, though?)

I'm actually surprised by how much I continue to like mega evolution so far. On paper the concept is a cheap, gimmicky idea, and I was wary at first, but aside from Mewtwo, all of the revealed mega evolutions still look like themselves with a power-up, and that's exactly what I would have wished for for something like this. Evolutions of old Pokémon are really hit and miss for me, but since these aren't proper evolutions they can just take the Pokémon as it is and sprinkle extra fancy stuff on it without changing the Pokémon's fundamental character. No, they're not interesting awesome new designs, but generally speaking I'd much rather have interesting awesome new designs be proper new Pokémon and leave the old Pokémon alone.

There are ways this could have gone a long way towards ruining Pokémon for me (primarily, if they went the Digimon path and mega evolution turned these awesome creatures into guys in ridiculous costumes), but so far I still completely don't mind it, aside from being a bit niggled by how Mega Mewtwo looks much less powerful than regular Mewtwo.

This may just be privilege speaking, but five dollars a year seems to me to be so cheap that it barely counts as paid. If that's a fuck-you to people who get the game late and can't use the free trial, it's still a very tiny, insignificant fuck-you compared to the fuck-you of requiring you to have two of the same console to be able to transfer anything at all. So long as actually getting and using Pokémon Bank is a smooth, easy process, it sounds pretty cool to me.

Not sure if you guys see this the same way I do but the Pokemon Cloud has a huge flaw. It can easily be hacked. It is coming with security features but NEVER ever store anything online. If you are low on space buy another game cart. You also cannot access your boxes if you are in an area where you cannot trade either. That is another huge flaw. I don't think it is very safe. Just stick to the cart boxes XD. If you need something transferred from gen 5 trade and clone with someone on gen 5 first and then have him/her do the transfer for you and you give them you crappy Pokemon on gen 6 after they transferred your data. If you can't have the same person transfer for you find someone who can. Just remember the key thing. GET YOUR POKEMON CLONED FIRST BEFORE YOU TRANSFER ANYTHING. The reason is because if you don't and they steal your Pokemon then you still have your Pokemon on 5th gen if someone steals from you. I have been doing this since 4th gen XD.:)

PS: I had my Pokemon stolen on gen 4 5 years ago and it is a long story short so I recommend doing this to avoid getting your Pokemon stolen XD.:)

Not sure if you guys see this the same way I do but the Pokemon Cloud has a huge flaw. It can easily be hacked. It is coming with security features but NEVER ever store anything online. If you are low on space buy another game cart. You also cannot access your boxes if you are in an area where you cannot trade either. That is another huge flaw. I don't think it is very safe. Just stick to the cart boxes XD. If you need something transferred from gen 5 trade and clone with someone on gen 5 first and then have him/her do the transfer for you and you give them you crappy Pokemon on gen 6 after they transferred your data. If you can't have the same transfer for you find someone who can. Just remember the key thing. GET YOUR POKEMON CLONED FIRST BEFORE YOU TRANSFER ANYTHING. The reason is because if you don't and they steal your Pokemon then you stil

your Pokemon on 5th gen if someone steals from you. I have been doing this since 4th gen XD.:)

PS: I had my Pokemon stolen on 4 5 years ago and it is a long story short so I recommend doing this to avoid getting your Pokemon stolen XD.:)

Cloud storage is actually generally very safe. Nintendo does tend to take care with their online services, so the security would probably be pretty tight. Not to mention the fact that compared to things like credit card numbers and bank passwords pokemon are a pretty low priority item that would be stolen. Second, there are countermeasures being made so that you will be unable to transfer hacked Pokemon into Bank. Not sure if cloned Pokemon count but the chance you could transfer them would be slim regardless.

Personally I'm only worried about physical damage happening to the servers and all the Pokemon being lost. I assume HQ for Bank servers will be in Japan, and there have been some pretty bad earthquakes there. Although companies have policies for protecting cloud servers, so I don't think there's anything to worry about.

There should be enough boxes in x and y to store Pokemon that are really special to you, as well.

That means I will have to have someone who file trades to transfer my Rayquaza,s because they are hacked but I only use them for my own personal use for in game battles and not Wi-Fi XD. That stinks.:)

Being online doesn't mean automatically EVERYTHING WILL BE HACKED (and so long as it's not hacked in the precise five minutes where you're transferring your Pokémon, you'll still have your Pokémon on the actual cartridge). And particularly with a paid service, I'd be very, very surprised if they didn't make sure to maintain robust backups of everything just in case something happens - if your customers are paying you to store their data, you're going to get an angry mob ready to sue you if you manage to lose it somehow anyway. And whatever happens, Pokémon Bank is inherently less likely to lose your Pokémon than just trading them to some random dude in the hope that he'll be honest and trade them back to you - if you're keeping clones around for your Pokémon anyway, you could just as well use Pokémon Bank for the actual transferring (which will then be quicker and more painless, and even if it were as horrendously insecure as you think it is, you'd still have your clones).

A mechanism that detects hacked Pokémon could never detect clones of non-hacked Pokémon, because by their very nature they have exactly the same data as a non-hacked Pokémon. If there were something in X and Y themselves that detected when there are two identical Pokémon, it still wouldn't work for transferring from the fourth-generation games - presumably the uploading to Pokémon Bank would use the same mechanism as the GTS, which doesn't compare the Pokémon you're uploading against all the other Pokémon you have.

CoroCoro leaks.

So, a fossil, that strange Pokémon that appeared in the Mega Venusaur clip (of course they had to release that one, we'd already seen it), Mega Garchomp, etc. Also, Team Flare's motives revealed, hurrah.

Thoughts? (Please no being ninja'd)

Everything just keeps getting better!
here are pictures for all you lazy people:
X0wYA0U.jpg
Of course, it would've been nice to have a non-bipedal Fennekin evo, but the overall smugness of this one definitely makes up for that.
Chespin took a surprising turn but oh my god just look at it. That face. SO GREAT.
Ninja-Froakie is pretty much what I expected, but it's cool nonetheless.
Someone mentioned that Fennekin's tail resembles a broomstick, and I can totally see that. Maybe the final evo gets some other cool witch-like features O:

gNg1ZeZ.jpg
I actually like Mega Garchomp more than the regular one; it has a more solid design somehow (maybe it's because the awkward arm-fins are gone). Other Mega Mewtwo is really neat too, and I'm pretty sure I like this one more than the previously-released one.

XVdTYde.jpg
The fact that you can STYLE THE POODLE POKEMON is pretty fucking great! I'm probably not going to have it in my team but I'm gonna catch one anyway and make it look as ridiculous as possible. :D

The psychic-type cats are a bit meh to me, but I might warm up to them. The fossils look really interesting colour- and typing-wise; they have a lot of potential! Really looking forward to seeing what they evolve into.

The only thing that was kinda disappointing was the fact that most of the Team Flare leader characters seem to be ladies :C
I wanted cool dudes in suits ;_;

I like 90% of the new releases :D Uhmmm - the middle stage starters are pretty cool, I think they will grow on me more when I use them. I like fennekin middle stage most, as I expected, though I agree that quad form would have been better... at least I can draw it quad. I'm just really glad I like the designs at all cause it's been a while since I liked the starters.

Obviously, I dislike the mega evos, especially there being two mega evos for some pokes (??? ubers is gonna be huge) and mega evos for pokes that are already super strong (why does garchomp need mega evo) and the designs are just uhg but, whatever, I'll pretend they don't exist in my headcanon.

Uhmm - I like the trex looking dino a LOT, the other dino is weird, its design is oddly too plain but also wing eyebrows and random diamond?? The gender-specific mons are adorable but also very :| at being gender-specific. The poodle though, I think that's tied with the lion for favourite mons this gen. *____* soooo cute. I can't wait to see how you can personalize it. I think it might be one of my all-time favourite pokes honestly, there hasn't been a dog poke I really loved in a long time but god it's so cuteeee.

Type Chart on Serebii

Fairy is immune to dragon. Also is super effective to Dragon, Dark, and Fighting. Steel loses its resistances to Dark and Ghost (means Metagross and Bronzong are susceptible to them now...)

Oh boy the types...

I'm extremely happy with this Generation now. Except for MegaMewtwo X's feet because they're terrifying. But a custom poodle Pokemon? Awesome! A Rock/Dragon fossil T-Rex? Awesome! A Rock/Ice Diplodocus? Awesome! Except for the two 4x weaknesses (and also, why Ice for a Diplodocus?). But one of them is Steel and how often do you see a Steel-type attack?

Except for all the time now that Fairy is weak to Poison and Steel, an excellent move in type balancing because Poison is amazing and now it's useful! And Steel is useful! Though I'm not sure how I feel about Steel losing its resistance to Ghost and Dark, if that's true; I like that Steel was that one type that resisted a whole lot, and while it's really only losing one resistance since it now resists Fairy, it still kinda loses that for me.

MegaMewtwo X I have the same opinion about as MegaMewtwo Y, I feel like Mewtwo didn't need to be beefed up. And both of them have toes that really bother me. But I can live with it. Garchomp didn't need to be beefed up either but MegaGarchomp looks like the most badass thing ever (it's like Scyther mixed with Druddigon and like a medieval flail) so I'm happy with that.

Starter evolutions make me very happy; I'm wondering how Fennekin's evo cuts things, since it gets Psycho Cut, but I imagine it uses the stick in its tail. Chespin took a bizarre turn, but I like it a lot, especially its expression. Froakie did pretty much what I expected it to do, but with longer limbs. Probably definitely going with Froakie this generation, and then maybe Bulbasaur. Extremely excited.

Back
Top Bottom