• Welcome to The Cave of Dragonflies forums, where the smallest bugs live alongside the strongest dragons.

Guests are not able to post messages or even read certain areas of the forums. Now, that's boring, don't you think? Registration, on the other hand, is simple, completely free of charge, and does not require you to give out any personal information at all. As soon as you register, you can take part in some of the happy fun things at the forums such as posting messages, voting in polls, sending private messages to people and being told that this is where we drink tea and eat cod.

Of course I'm not forcing you to do anything if you don't want to, but seriously, what have you got to lose? Five seconds of your life?

Question Box

omg so like I've been weirded out by this in so many battles and it makes no sense so I am like, burning for an answer here. Do Heal Bell and Aromatherapy cure confusion/attraction? Do they target only allies or everyone on the field?!

YEAH I was wondering about that too. Personally, I'd like them to only target allies, because targets in the db are ripped from a ROM and I don't want to have to remember which targets are special cases if I have to rerip them, in Gen VII or whatever.

Doesn't it only heal your own teammates, in-game? I've never seen it work on opposing teams. But I'm not sure if it works on confusion/attraction. Maybe Butterfree knows. >_>

I remember checking for my battle vs. The Omskivar and they both cure confusion and attraction, and they only target friendly. In the games, at least.

They cure confusion in-game?! I always thought they didn't, which was why I asked. Yeah I know they only target allies in-game, but people keep talking about how much sense it makes to have them affect everyone so I don't know if that's been changed or what.

It does? o.o All the online databases seem to say Heal Bell only cures major status conditions...

And flavour-wise I'd agree that it sounds like it should heal everyone that hears it, but effect-wise it's definitely allies-only. I guess we can hand wave it by saying the Heal Beller specifically tunes the frequencies to friendly Pokemon or something, but yeah, it shouldn't affect non-friendly Pokemon.

It definitely purges confusion in-game. I don't know about attraction, but even if it doesn't, it should in ASB, as attraction here is roughly even with confusion in terms of power.

Flavorwise it's really kind of tempting to let Heal Bell and Aromatherapy accidentally heal enemies as well (particularly the latter, you can't very well passively prevent somebody from being able to smell something), but I suppose folks would prefer that it remain aimed at teammates by default. Then again, we could also flavor them as requiring the healed to specifically hear/smell into it, which both explains why it targets only friendly Pokémon in principle and also provides an interesting strategical exploit for a sneaky opponent. But I dunno, maybe that's just the part of me that absolutely adores moves being more than just flashy visual effects followed by flashy mechanical effects.

How does Uproar work? (I remember the precedent being that it doesn't lock you in, but it prevents sleep for three actions anyway, but I figured I should check.)

How does Uproar work? (I remember the precedent being that it doesn't lock you in, but it prevents sleep for three actions anyway, but I figured I should check.)

Hm? I actually recall the precedent being that it /does/ lock you in (MF reffed a instance of that in the tourney not so long ago, actually).

Haha, well, I don't see why Outrage wouldn't be exempt from the locking in, but Uproar would be. I'll go tweak the descriptions then?

I suggest that the default for uproar is only one action, but you can extend it up to three actions if you specify it. Specifying it locks you in though; you can't focus on if-clauses when screaming your lungs out. You can't hear orders either so maybe it shouldn't be able to lock you in at the end of the round? Only continuous uproars should prevent sleep though, and they're prevent it for the entire duration. So if you have uproar going for the whole round, you can't be put to sleep during that time; if you have two separate uproars, you can be put to sleep between the two separate moves. Same with any interference with sound-based moves.

I suggest that the default for uproar is only one action, but you can extend it up to three actions if you specify it. Specifying it locks you in though; you can't focus on if-clauses when screaming your lungs out. You can't hear orders either so maybe it shouldn't be able to lock you in at the end of the round? Only continuous uproars should prevent sleep though, and they're prevent it for the entire duration. So if you have uproar going for the whole round, you can't be put to sleep during that time; if you have two separate uproars, you can be put to sleep between the two separate moves. Same with any interference with sound-based moves.

I dunno about the "can't hear orders" thing, I mean Pokemon who're flying way up high, for example, presumably can't hear commands through conventional means but manage to receive them anyway. I'd be fine with allowing Uproar being used for only one action, since it's less powerful than other moves that lock you in, and using it only for one action exposes you to sleep between actions. I'll give this a day or so for anyone else to speak up and add their two cents before editing it again.

Can Pokemon pretend to hit themselves in confusion?

Hmm, I'm going to say no, not without taking an action at least. I'd like to hear what the other refs have to say, though.

I'd say it's fine to take an action to feign confusion-fail but not in conjunction with some other action. So it wouldn't have much point, but you can do it.

Hmmm, I have a nagging feeling about the Uproar thing, but no time to give it a closer look... Feel free to change it up anyways.

Hmm, I'm going to say no, not without taking an action at least. I'd like to hear what the other refs have to say, though.
I'd say it's fine, but feigned confusionfail would take up most of the Pokémon's time within an action -- to perform a regular move on top of that, they'd probably need it to be something quick and simple, and they'd also need a solid Speed lead.

I've gone ahead and edited Destiny Bond in the database so its effects only last an action, it's affected by the damage cap, and it costs energy equal to 2% + half of the damage it would deal, disregarding caps.

If it's only going to last an action, the energy cost should be 2% and then upon triggering it would drain the rest of the user's energy, I think. If it's going to cost a lot of energy regardless of success you may as well make it last the round again. It's still rather powerful, though the situations in which it's tactical are relatively constrained, but that's the only way to make it match the cost. Now that it's affected by the cap it's not quite as big of a deal.

Using the current energy cost, if it's round-long, the energy cost would be 2% to use, plus 0.5x the health of the opponent when destiny bond connects... but that doesn't quite work either way, actually. The target is self, not a specific opponent, since it triggers when someone does a direct attack that causes a KO and not things like statuses or self-damage or weather. What if there's more than one? If energy to be consumed on successful triggering, that avoids this issue more neatly than making a special rule for it.

Since it's damage capped now you should remove all references to knocking out the opponent when the user faints.

Hm, good point on the "if there's more than one" opponent thing. I think perhaps the base energy cost should be higher than 2%, then, to discourage too much spam, and only take more energy if the effect is triggered.

I changed the description to remove the reference to fainting, but not entirely sure how to reword the summary. I just put "severely damages"?

Back
Top Bottom