• Welcome to The Cave of Dragonflies forums, where the smallest bugs live alongside the strongest dragons.

Guests are not able to post messages or even read certain areas of the forums. Now, that's boring, don't you think? Registration, on the other hand, is simple, completely free of charge, and does not require you to give out any personal information at all. As soon as you register, you can take part in some of the happy fun things at the forums such as posting messages, voting in polls, sending private messages to people and being told that this is where we drink tea and eat cod.

Of course I'm not forcing you to do anything if you don't want to, but seriously, what have you got to lose? Five seconds of your life?

Question Box

Errr I wanted to give some time for other people to give their input on whether Uproar should lock the Pokemon in or not, but that kinda got pushed to the side by other discussion, so uh. Currently it does lock in, but that may change? I think I'll give it another day before I change it so it doesn't lock in, if there are no objections (or if some people want me to hurry the change up :P)

... ohh pff alright then, I was wondering how Dazel managed to set up the battle. It'd be really convenient to be able to hand out ref powers, though, so thanks for that!

Oh, I thought the consensus was that you can specify the duration beforehand as Negrek said? I would definitely like it to not lock you in because it affects a battle I'm in right now, haha... but I really do like the usefulness of being able to use Uproar to block sleep without sacrificing another two actions.

Yeah, I have like eighteen hours to get commands in, hahah. It's not a huge deal though; it won't make or break them or anything.

Looking back, it looks like only allitersonance and I vouched for the one-action Uproar thing, while MF said he'd say something about it later? And that was about it, so uh. Should I just change it now or

Alright, Uproar has been edited. I'm... not sure if it communicates the fact that if Uproar is used for only one action at a time, the user can be put to sleep between actions? And it sounds like you can order it for two actions continuously? Should we leave it at that, or? I'm too sleepy to come up with a better description/summary for now, so if anyone else wants to step up, please do.

You could just make it explicit. Something like, "While by default the move only lasts one action, Uproar can be extended for up to three consecutive actions, preventing sleep and drowning out sound-based moves for the duration of the move. However, once it starts, the pokemon can't stop easily and won't be able to change its actions partway through, so the duration of a continuous uproar must be commanded beforehand."

I tried editing something in about how the duration must be commanded:

The user sets up a painful cacophony, yelling and carrying on at the top of its voice. This attack drowns out other sound moves and makes sleep impossible for the duration of the Uproar. An Uproar can last up to three actions, but the user will have trouble stopping once it's started, so the duration of Uproar must be given when the move is commanded.

(I haven't put in anything about the default length because I'm not sure what it's supposed to be. Negrek said by default it was three actions, but it looks like maybe you want it to be one action now? idk)

I feel like Uproar's default length should be 3 actions. After all, you can command differently anyway.

Question: Fire+Grass pledge's explosion is centered on where the triggering move hit, not on the user, yes?

If you can command differently, the default should be the one that has the lowest penalty if you forget to specify, so one-action default uproar is better.

The severity of Sleep fades over time, the number of severity levels and their duration typically varying by ref. Typically there are three levels (severe > moderate > mild) lasting 2-3 actions each, though it can degrade faster if the sleeping Pokémon takes a lot of damage all at once or something.

I actually have another question, after looking at the database. Why is it that yawn does not bypass substitute, while moves like grass whistle and sing can?

Sleep, confusion, and attraction fade faster if the user is subject to damage (in the case of attraction, specifically damage from the object of its affection). Both confusion and attraction start at 50% chance of failure, with the chance of failure falling off by 5% per action that failure does not occur. They fade faster if the pokémon takes damage: an attack that deals 1-5% damage to the afflicted pokémon reduces the failure chance by 5%; 6-10% damage, 10%; >10%, 15%. It is therefore possible for attraction or confusion to go from severe (50%) to moderate (25%-35%) after a single action, if the afflicted gets blasted by a powerful attack right after getting confused. Ideally, these effects will last ~3-5 actions, with one or two failures occurring during that time, although there is the possibility that they will last a fair amount longer if the opponent plays conservatively.

Sleep should ideally last around three-five actions depending on the battle conditions as well. It works similarly to attraction and confusion; the rules for fading are identical. However, there are some caveats: sleep starts at 95% chance of sleeping for another action, it always fades by at least 5% per action, and it is guaranteed to last for at least one action. The check for sleep is rolled immediately before a pokémon's action in a round, so any damage it took earlier in the round is accounted for (this is true for any of the other fading status conditions as well; the check is rolled immediately before the action would take place, not at the beginning of the round or at the end (in anticipation of the next round). Also, even though a pokémon is guaranteed to sleep through one action, the sleep check is still made for that action (95% chance of staying asleep, usually). The check is rolled again for the next action (at worst a 90% chance of staying asleep), meaning that in the worst-case scenario there is a 15% chance that the pokémon will wake up after a single action.

This was before sleep's duration changed in the games, I think, but 3-5 actions default is probably better than 1-3 given that damage can decrease the duration and everything.

Substitute-bypassing works the same as the games, so the reason is "the games did it".

I actually have another question, after looking at the database. Why is it that yawn does not bypass substitute, while moves like grass whistle and sing can?

Yawn isn't flagged as being sound-based in the games, while Grasswhistle and Sing are. Sound-based moves (and some other exceptions) bypass Substitutes. If you're asking why Yawn isn't an exception like Taunt is, well, I guess because the games said so.

Huh, on rereading it looks like Negrek doesn't actually recommend a roll at the beginning of sleep for a maximum duration. I definitely would, though; attract and confusion might last arbitrary amounts of time but sleep shouldn't go on for more than 5-6 actions under any circumstances, I think.

Do nothing shouldn't take up a conditional; it's pretty easy to just reword it so it's "unless x, y, x" and if you don't specify anything else you'd do nothing anyway. Struggle would, though, since it's something happening.

To what extent are Pokémon capable of choosing actions independently? For example, can you give commands such as "Use any of your Fire-type moves, I don't care which one" or "Pick one of these two moves at random"?

I feel like there might be certain balance issues with allowing randomized commands, but it also doesn't really make sense that a Pokémon would be unable to understand such commands. (Though I suppose the usual justification for why Pokémon need trainers in the first place is that Pokémon are hideously bad at battling on their own.)

I feel like Do Nothing is the default action when a pokémon's conditionals overlap in such a way that it isn't commanded to do anything in particular. Struggle is more of a thing when a pokémon can't use a move it was otherwise supposed to.

Back
Top Bottom