• Welcome to The Cave of Dragonflies forums, where the smallest bugs live alongside the strongest dragons.

Guests are not able to post messages or even read certain areas of the forums. Now, that's boring, don't you think? Registration, on the other hand, is simple, completely free of charge, and does not require you to give out any personal information at all. As soon as you register, you can take part in some of the happy fun things at the forums such as posting messages, voting in polls, sending private messages to people and being told that this is where we drink tea and eat cod.

Of course I'm not forcing you to do anything if you don't want to, but seriously, what have you got to lose? Five seconds of your life?

Question Time

I'm never really sure where I stand on free speech for these far-right parties, but while I'm sure all of us would like to see Nick Griffin banned from life I think the show accurately portrayed him as a fool. Maybe the BBC shouldn't have invited him in the first place, but it would have caused a much bigger storm if they'd revoked their invitation.

Also my dad told me 22% of Britain's going to vote BNP in the next election, is this true :c I mean I don't think so but I'm not sure.

I have not read anywhere that 22% are going to vote for the BNP. I think perhaps there was a poll which said that about a quarter of people would 'consider' voting for them. And no, I don't believe that cancelling the invitation would have helped the BNP more than not cancelling it.

Last edited:
22% of Brits voting for the BNP is... well, a lot. That's more than the lib dems and (I think) labour are predicted to get o.o

What VPLJ quoted, yeah.

It's far more likely that the Tories are going to monopolise the vote and the Lib Dems might get something like 22%, certainly not an outsider extremist party in a FPTP election.

That's what I told him, but he insisted that it was on the Teletext etc etc so I didn't push the issue :v he's actually pretty good BNP material so er.

Actually come to think of it he's probably quite right - I was thinking percentage of seats rather than votes, hurr. It's Monday, man. 22% of the vote spread around the country would be massively shit for them, really, because they still won't get any seats, but it could happen.

No - even if they got 22% of the votes, that'd still be a major success for the BNP, and get them quite a few seats in the Commons.

Where exactly are there going to be enough BNP voters in one area to actually win a seat...?

Wherever they got two MEPs elected?

But no, the BNP is not going to get anywhere close to 22%. 5% would be a victory for them, I think.

That's what I told him, but he insisted that it was on the Teletext etc etc so I didn't push the issue :v he's actually pretty good BNP material so er.
lol people still use teletext?

edit:

hell yeah lib dems. labour are dead to me, and the day I support conservative is the day America cedes its sovereignty to the Crown

Last edited:
BNP will suck if they get to rule in the coalition anyway. Those parties are so one-issue.

While Nick Griffin is clearly a cockshiner of the highest order, I wasn't wholly fond of the Question Time debate with him. Not because it didn't make him out to be a fool and a bigoted prick - it did - but because if the BBC really wanted to treat the BNP fairly and the same as the other parties, it was doing it in a very strange way. The shots of the audience showed this quite well, literally half of them were black or asian, which contrary to BNP propaganda is not really a good representation of the proportion of minorities in Britain. It just looks really silly and plays into the BNP's hands. Quite racist in itself actually choosing people for the audience based on their skin colour, but meh.

Every time one of the audience asked a question or criticised Griffin there tended to be riotous applause and cheering, which while this was quite funny occasionally, didn't really make for a good debate if every time someone spoke they were cut off by cheers/jeers in Griffin's case. This is a massive shame, because open debate about BNP policy would have wrecked Griffin, apart from their "send them all back" manifesto the BNP doesn't really have any ideas about how to run a country, and exposing them by asking about their non racially based policies would have been much more effective than preaching to the choir by attacking his racism, and might have succeeded in convincing people who were "on the fence" that the BNP was not the way to go. As it was, I can't imagine many BNP supporters would have had their minds changed by the debate (although this goes the other way too, Nick Griffin is talking shit about having thousands of new members because of the debate).

(on a lighter note, the "Nick Griffin is a twat" page on Facebook has more fans than Nick Griffin's actual page atm, jokes :P)

Back
Top Bottom