• Welcome to The Cave of Dragonflies forums, where the smallest bugs live alongside the strongest dragons.

Guests are not able to post messages or even read certain areas of the forums. Now, that's boring, don't you think? Registration, on the other hand, is simple, completely free of charge, and does not require you to give out any personal information at all. As soon as you register, you can take part in some of the happy fun things at the forums such as posting messages, voting in polls, sending private messages to people and being told that this is where we drink tea and eat cod.

Of course I'm not forcing you to do anything if you don't want to, but seriously, what have you got to lose? Five seconds of your life?

Referee Headquarters

O - O
Trainer: Cloudrunner
Arca Flash Fire
Growlithe
Health: 100%
Energy: 76%
Commands: Chill/Protect~Double Team/Sunny Day~Dig/Sunny Day

O - O
Trainer: Master Mew
Yipper Torrent
Mudkip
Energy: 80%
Status: Underground. Feeling secure and eager to see the effects of his Rain Dance.
Commands: Water Gun ~ Dig ~ Dive

Arena: The sunlight is strong for 6 more actions (2 more rounds).

~~~~~

Realizing Yipper was underground, Arca let out a sigh of relief and sprawled onto the ground. The Growlithe closed his eyes, as a small smile appeared on his sweaty face. Suddenly, a blast of water shot out of the stream, straight at Arca. Surprised, he let out a low growl and stared intently at the blast of water that was being fired at him, as if he were trying to redirect it with his mind. Inches from his face, the water suddenly exploded like a fountain. A small blue fin, followed by the head of a small Mudkip, peeked out of the water. His innocent face changed into a evil frown as Yipper realized Arca was using Protect — a shiny green shield had condensed right in front of him.

Upset at his being thwarted, Yipper suddenly leaped into the air and burrowed into the ground, leaving behind a mess of dirt and dead grass. Arca nervously looked around and made a small whimper. Suddenly, the Pokémon started running around in circles, apparently chasing his tail. This odd pattern was suddenly broken by Arca's sudden jumping in the air so fast it looked like there were several illusory mirages trailing behind it, sparkling in the dazzling sunlight. As each landed in the stream, making small splashes, one could clearly see that there were four, five, six, seven Growlithe!

With newfound confidence, one of the Arcas dug a small hole in the ground and burrowed through, followed by the other six. Suddenly, Yipper burst from the stream and charged in the direction of the hole, sparkly water trailing behind it. As the confused Mudkip landed on the ground, he looked around with a dazed expression. His eyes finally landed on the small hole in the ground, and he seemed to realize that Arca had dug underground. Frustrated, he jumped in the hole in search of the Growlithe.

~~~~~

O - O
Trainer: Cloudrunner
Arca Flash Fire
Growlithe
Energy: 64%
Status: Underground. Confident Yipper won't tell apart, or even knows of, the clones.

O - O
Trainer: Master Mew
Yipper Torrent
Mudkip
Energy: 68%

Arena: There are small patches of wet grass and one long trail of water around the field, and two holes with messy dirt and grass around them. The sunlight is strong for 3 more actions (1 more round).

Referee Notes:
  • Water Gun took one more energy because of the strong sun.
  • Nobody took damage because of Protect and the Dig/Dive thing.
  • Yipper's Dig and Dive were counted as one move because they were sort of combined.
  • Arca has six clones, all underground.
  • Yipper attacks first next round.

I sincerely hope third time is the charm...

Arena Description:
Originally Posted by Cloudrunner
2 vs 2 one at a time

DQ time: 2 weeks

Arena: A field with some trees around the edge and a stream in the middle.

Current Pokemon Status:

Cloudrunner (OO)
Arca-(M)-Flash Fire
058growlithe.png

Energy: 76%

Master Mew (OO)
Yipper-(M)-Torrent
258mudkip.png

Energy: 80%
Status: Underground. Feeling secure and eager to see the effects of his rain dance.

Arena notes

The sunlight is strong for 6 more actions(2 more rounds).

Originally Posted by Cloudrunner
Good job Arca. When that Mudkip comes out he's going to be shocked.

Okay first you need to chill unless you're attacked in which case Protect. Then use Double Team followed by digging underground. If Yipper changes the weather use Sunny day.

Chill/Protect~Double Team/Sunny Day~Dig/Sunny Day

Originally Posted by Master Mew
OK! Yipper, I know that you can do this! Start off with Water Gun! Then, use Dig! Come back up with diving under the pond!

Water Gun ~ Dig ~ Dive

Round X

Both Pokemon start out feeling eager for the next round of fighting. Arca begins to relax his muscles and body, letting all the bad energy flow out of him, and new good energy flow in. While he is doing this, though, Yipper is building up pressurized water in his mouth. He runs to one of the holes nearest him where he can sense Arca, and he lifts his head up and fires all the water. Arca hears the rushing water come at him, though, and quickly sets up a Protect that the water hits and falls harmlessly back into the hole. It falls on top of Yipper, but he is not paying attention to the water. He sees the hot sun instead of the Rain Dance he set up, and he becomes enraged. He pops out of the hole, covered in water and glaring at Arca.

Arca doesn't pay attention to the glaring Mudkip, and instead, considering his Protect faded away, begins to concentrate on his every bone, muscle, sinew, anything that make him up. He then starts running in a circle very fast, and when he finishes the running, there are suddenly four clones of him in a circle with him. He yips for his success at making the clones. Yipper, however is still boiling mad at the Growlithe for ruining his Rain Dance and starts to dig underground, taking even less time than normal due to his anger. He flies in the hole and runs to where he senses Arca and his clones above him.

Arca is a bit puzzled at Yipper, but follows his master's orders and instead of making a new hole, he barks at his clones and instructs them to each take a different route once they got underground, to confuse the Mudkip and to find him faster. Arca and his clones dive into the hole and spread out through the networking of tunnels. Yipper, however senses Arca and his clones leaving the spot, and silently swears. He tries to find one of them above ground, and does. This Growlithe just couldn't make it into the hole in time before Yipper shot up at him, slashing at him. Yipper hits the Growlithe dead on, knocking him into the stream. Yipper jumps in delight, only to find the Growlithe disappeared. He stops jumping and starts swearing at his inability to remember Arca setting up the clones. Yipper does remember the order his master gave him, but he doesn't know what his master was talking about when he said Dive. The round ends with Arca and his clones underground searching for Yipper, while Yipper is above ground, waiting for his trainer's next commands and mad at himself.

Pokemon Status:

Trainer: Cloudrunner (OO)
Arca-(M)-Flash Fire
058growlithe.png

Health:100%
Energy:63%
Commands: Chill/Protect~Double Team/Sunny Day~Dig/Sunny Day

Trainer: Master Mew (OO)
Yipper-(M)-Torrent
258mudkip.png

Health:100%
Energy:68%
Status: Is mad at self for not remembering the clones created
Commands: Water Gun~Dig~Dive

Arena:
There are some holes on the top of the arena, and a small wet patch from the Water Gun. Underground, there is a mass networking of tunnels with one tunnel being slippery due to the water that fell back into that hole.

Notes:
-Arca made 4 clones
-Yipper hit a clone coming up out of Dig
-Assuming we aren't using Platinum moves yet, Mudkip can't learn Dive
-Arca recovered 2% from chilling before being interrupted
-Water Gun took 1% energy extra from Sunny Day​

Amoeba

No problems with the description. It is, though, a bit of a gray area whether a pokémon would just leave a tunnel in order to use an attack that would require it to do so; I think that Yipper would probably climb out of his hole and use water gun rather than using it where he was if it wasn't going to work. Also, a pokémon like growlithe would definitely be fast enough to create more than one clone off double team, though; four or so would be more the norm for something of Arca's speed. The "default" number of clones is not one, it's just as many as that pokémon would be able to create at maximum. You can only specify fewer clones than that, not more--if someone ordered their growlithe to make twelve clones it wouldn't work, but if they wanted only one, that would be okay.

I'm a little mystified by the energy scores at the end. It looks like it took Arca about 6% energy to dig, but given that water gun should have taken negligible energy, it took Yipper more than double that amount to use his own dig, plus the incomplete dive. Yipper should have burned more energy than Arca in this scenario, but I don't know about more than twice as much.

I like your battle description a lot, but your energy is a little bit of a problem. It might also be a good idea to look around at some more battles to get a feel for the common moves, like double team, and how they work. However, this is a very good first attempt and I encourage you to reapply. Not Approved

Oreku

You managed to get most of the tense errors out of this, and the description is definitely better than before, but you still have serious issues with run-on sentences. Take this one for example:

Kyuushippo stretches a bit, taking in the surroundings, and appreciates the fact it was released from the cramped pokeball, then it notices the Scyther fluttering around on the other side of the small clearing, remembering her duty to her trainer, she lowers her body, and opens her mouth, working to push up the flame from deep inside her stomach.
That should be three sentences. "Kyuushippo stretches a bit, taking in the surroundings, and appreciates the fact it was released from the cramped pokeball. Then it notices the Scyther fluttering around on the other side of the small clearing. Remembering her duty to her trainer, she lowers her body and opens her mouth, working to push up the flame from deep inside her stomach."

It's also a little strange that you switch from calling pokémon "it" to calling them by their gender. Either is fine, but try to be consistent about it. Also, with regards to the toxic/flamethrower thing, it's not really made clear that the toxic actually prevented the flame attack from going off. It's mentioned in the ending stats, but in the battle description it's not entirely clear, since you only mention that the toxic struck just as the flamethrower went off, and not that it caused the attack to stop or anything. Also, how long will the rain (inhibited or not) be continuing? You should also mention how much damage toxic will deal next round.

Health and energy are fine. The grammar could still use some work in the description and there are some niggles about the ending stats, so this isn't an advanced-level reffing. I will offer you Novice rank if you'll take it, though.

Rossymore

Well, the last round was a little strange, since Seitha didn't seem to be affected by the confuse ray at all--just got hit by it, then immediately went to sleep without having to deal with the confusion. Other than that, I probably wouldn't have charged that much energy for fire blast; you almost doubled its energy cost from flamethrower, even though it's only a 1/3 increase in power. It only would have been a point or so difference, though, so it's not a big problem. However, you should indicate how long Seitha will be asleep for her rest, and I don't understand why she has yet to earn any health back from the attack, especially since she lost energy for it--unless that was just for curing burn and confusion, if those are gone now.

A little borderline; the rest thing is what's most strange about it. The reffing overall isn't bad, though, so I'll let it go. Approved

Amber and Zack

Your battle description is both a bit sparse and a bit difficult to understand. First, you don't really describe attacks: the first paragraph could be reduced to "Yipper used water gun; Arca used protect" without losing much information. How did the pokémon use their attacks and what did they look like?

A moderately fast pokémon like growlithe really should be making more than one double team clone unless it's paralyzed or something. You should mention the clone disappearing after Arca was struck, as I assume that it did, as well. It's a good idea to mention if a pokémon ends up underground in their ending stats as well.

Finally, the dig-dive thing... the commands are a little confusing, yes, but I would have accepted either of two interpretations: that the attacks were meant to be a combo, with dig being used to go under the stream and dive to attack, or for them to be two separate attacks. You appear to be trying to have it both ways here; Yipper digs in one action, then starts out digging in the final action, but comes out in a dive. If you wanted to split up the two actions, there would have been one dig, then one dive--if it were to succeed, Yipper would run over to the stream, dive, then shoot up and attack in a single action. However, if he was to start out digging and transition to a dive, the trainer would need to specify that.

Dig probably would have done more damage than it did to Arca, but Yipper's energy usage is a bit extreme. He used more energy-intensive attacks than Arca, yes, but they weren't *that* much more strenuous. Water gun costs next to nothing, which means that the digs and dives must have been about 8% each, which is a lot.

Description is more of a concern here than anything else, as well as understanding of conventions (number of double team clones, for example). Energy and damage actually wasn't bad, save for Yipper's energy. Not Approved

Chewy the Crispy Crunch

The second paragraph of this is very confusing. The double team clones were sparkling? That would kind of give them away, wouldn't it? And why are they appearing in the stream? If Arca's running around the arena, he would cross it now and again, but why are all the clones showing up there? Also, typically a pokémon won't follow an opponent down a hole it has dug unless commanded to do so. Other than that, the description is okay.

It's preferable that you make mention of how many double team clones a pokémon has is noted in that pokémon's ending stats, rather than at the end of the whole reffing, and that the sex of the pokémon be mentioned somewhere in the beginning/ending stats.

In terms of energy, Arca should have used more energy than Yipper. Double team alone is 6% energy for six clones, and protect's base cost is 4%. That means that there's only 2% left over for dig. If we assume that dig is 2%, then dive would be as well, and water gun, even with the sun in play, wouldn't be more than 3%. I would have dig do more, personally, but the fact remains that growlithe used three moderately powerful attacks, whereas Yipper used two moderately powerful and one weak attack, so he should have used less energy.

I imagine that the description thing is a one-off more than anything, so it's really the energy you need to look at here. A couple of stylistic quirks aside, you're very close. Not Approved

Styliboy

The way you set this round up is a bit strange. Yipper digs his hole--but then he "flies in his hole and runs to where he senses Arca." This makes it sound like he stopped digging and began running through an open tunnel, which wouldn't have been there because he hadn't yet created it. Similarly, where did this underground labyrinth that Arca sent his clones into come from? So far as you know, there's only two holes in the field thus far: the one that Yipper used to be in before that goes straight down, and the one that he's in right now, which also goes straight down.

Dive is an R/S/E HM that mudkip can learn. In the first action, there should have been no energy gained for "chilling;" you only get one attack per action, so if Arca had started out chilling he wouldn't have been able to put up a protect in order to block the water gun; conversely, if he had managed to protect, he shouldn't also have been able to chill, even only a little bit.

I don't understand why Arca used 3% more energy than Yipper. He used protect and double team, which'd be about 8% damage, but he didn't even dig after that--just ran down a hole that was already there. How does that cost more than either protect or double team? Similarly, Yipper only used dig and water gun (with one percent more energy added). How does that constitute twelve energy?

Both the battle description and the energy need cleaning up here. Mostly I'm just confused by the "mass networking of tunnels" that has appeared. Not Approved

In the end, the novice mock turned out to be harder than I had expected; sorry about that. Also, to everyone--huge quote-blocks with all the battle information at the top of our posts: let's not.

Demotions

Icalasari -> Novice
PichuK -> Novice

Paychecks

Kratos Aurion: 1 2 3 4 5 = $50
MurrMurr: 1 = $6
Negrek: 1 = $10
Prettzel: 1 = $3

Huh. I had it about 3 energy, can't remember exactly, for water gun (I followed the energy guide closely) and calculated dig after that, it was I think one more than growlithe because yipper is a first stage in a three pokemon evolution chain. I don't know what went wrong either... and I'm not sure what to do as an improvement for when I next re-apply since I've been watching other ASB battles for about two years, and based my moves off of examples I had seen from real reffings (the double team example for example, many reffs have regarded one as default if you don't specify).

Hopefully next time is more successful... but I really don't know how I can be any more careful with the energy. Perhaps next time I will keep the calculations so that, if you have time, you can show me where I went wrong?

Chewy the Crispy Crunch

Fixed.

Amoeba

Indeed so? I haven't noticed anyone reffing double team that way in the recent past, but if they have been, they're doing it wrong.

In any case, it looks like my energy scale doesn't really reflect the way that I do things anymore. You're fine. Approved

Negrek, is my emergency reffing being withheld until I fix the round? If not, you forgot my paycheck for the week.

Oreku

Realized that I forgot about these completely.

Paychecks

Chiropter: 1 = $10
Grass King: 1 2 = $6
Kindling Queen: 1 = $3
MurrMurr: 1 = $6

Last edited:
Taaake it to the baaaank; because you can claim emergency reffings at any time, they aren't included in your paycheck. Just link to your post about it here and take $15 for the round.

Can I just ask, I'm a little confused about how the payment system works out.

Do we recieve payments after a battle is completed, or just after each completed round? And do we announce here which rounds we have reffed first before being offered a pay?

If you do an emergency reffing, you post here with a link to claim it, then in the bank to get your money. You can claim an emergency reffing as early or as late as you want--as you complete each round or after finishing the entire battle--but rounds of emergency reffing should not be included in your weekly pay.

In a perfect world, paychecks would come out once each week and include all the rounds that each referee had prepared in the previous week, with their final pay given based on how much they had reffed. So paychecks are based on rounds reffed, not entire battles. You should only post here to announce a) emergency reffings that you will take care of yourself or b) mistakes made in the last set of paychecks.

There are, however, two benefits that referees get at the end of a match as opposed to per round: an amount of money based on how many people were involved in that battle, and credit towards a free capture, the details of which are in the first post.

Ok, thanks I understand now.

So, I don't have to announce ordinary reffings I've made... just emergency reffings?

Because before the last paycheck, I didn't recieve anything for the two rounds I reffed, so I wasn't sure if I had to announce them or not.

Back
Top Bottom